Books you hated and everyone else loved.

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Postby IamMoose » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:44 am

I never managed to make it through Gatsby, though I tried several times because Holden Caulfield - Catcher in the Rye - was so into it. Haven't tried for a decade though so maybe better try again.
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby K.Evenstar » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:56 pm

IrisBrandybuck wrote:Katherine Kurtz is very good, as is Kate Elliot and Katherine Kerr.

That's encouraging - sounds like the talent comes from the name Katherine. :P (And what does the "K" in K.Evenstar stand for?)
K.Evenstar
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:24 pm

(And what does the "K" in K.Evenstar stand for?)

Kornflake? :P

I just started Summer Sisters (I was so desperate to read something.) And I think I'm going to give it a thumbs down, though I'm going to give it a little longer. The premise does have me curious. I might finish it just to find out what happens.

<------ The TVM is going on vacation!

Cats were once worshiped in Egypt. They have never forgotten this.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby elf-maiden » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:37 pm

Have you read Mindy Klasky's books? Or Kristian Britain's Green Rider books?

I've read the Green Rider books. I only got about halfway when I started the first one, then like a year later finally picked up and finished it. I read the second one (well, most of it) just to see if it had gotten any better. I didn't think it did...
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:42 pm

That's ok! :) That's the point behind this thread, we don't all like the same books, and I wanted to provide a place for people to vent.

At the moment it looks like Christopher Paolini is mudd, though.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby undumiel » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:05 pm

here you go: this is big time cathartic.

i hate EVERYTHING that robert heinlein has ever "written" (and i use the term loosely, like one might describe an infant's incoherent babble as "talking").

even if i didn't despise his borderline fascist governmental strategies, he is a terrible writer who appears to be incapable of having plot and character development exist simultaneouly in anything he puts his monkey paws to.

stranger in a strange land was particularly awful.

. . .

i feel so, so, so much better.
undumiel
Ranger of the North

Postby K.Evenstar » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:31 pm

Glad you feel better Undumiel. :)

I hated Charles Bukowski when we read one of his books in class, but I think I was the only one who felt as passionately. Everyone else either liked him or was indifferent.

Keve xx
K.Evenstar
Ranger of the North

Postby Kethasbro » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:36 pm

I like Paolini......but I've only started one book and not finished it Hucklerry Finn which is strange for me because when I start a book I no matter how boring I finish them except Hucklerry Finn.
Kethasbro
Shield Bearer

Postby Ivriniel » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:32 am

Kethasbro wrote:
I like Paolini......but I've only started one book and not finished it Hucklerry Finn which is strange for me because when I start a book I no matter how boring I finish them except Hucklerry Finn.

When I was in High School, the ESL teacher had the International Students reading Huckleberry Finn. Let me tell you, it was a BAD IDEA. The poor International Students would be sitting there with their dictionaries trying to look up words full of apostrophes because Mark Twain has his characters speaking in a dialect.

Ivriniel
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:48 am

OUCH! Those poor kids! It would have made more sense to read it to them!

Ok, I've decided that "Summer Sisters" by Judy Blume is a BAD idea. Don't bother. I ended up skimming it just to see if she answered the questions she promised to answer...and she didn't. :puke:

IrisBrandybuck

Postby elerrina_narloth » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:13 pm

I never had a problem with mark twain......I suppose because I live in a place that he used to live and the people around here just might say most of those 'words full of appostrophes'.........to me he kinda part of my culture and we talk like him..........so....yeah....

hunchback of notre dame..............can I name a more BORING book!!! I found a sentence with literally 300 words in it........
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Ivriniel » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:21 pm

elerrina_narloth wrote:I never had a problem with mark twain......I suppose because I live in a place that he used to live and the people around here just might say most of those 'words full of appostrophes'.........to me he kinda part of my culture and we talk like him..........so....yeah....

Yes, well, I never really had trouble understanding Mark Twain either. For people whose first language is English we can use context cues and semantic cues in addition to phonemic cues, to predict what the words would be. Someone who is just learning English would have a lot of difficulty using those cuing systems.

Ivriniel
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby elerrina_narloth » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:41 am

yeah I can imagine.....or you if you come from the east coast........
but here me and all my friends love mark twain because his characters tend to talk like we do a good deal of the time, we actaully have our own holiday for mark twain! :) there's just something about when an author uses your hometown in a story...I don't know, for us country folk, it makes us feel important :roll:

another boring book: the three musketeers
elerrina_narloth
Ranger of the North

Postby Kethasbro » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:39 pm

I never said I didn't like mark twain I just said I didn't like Huckleberry Finn.

And I've herd three muskateers is very boring
Kethasbro
Shield Bearer

Postby Dubatuluk » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:00 pm

I can't stand Huckleberry Finn, and not for the language, I just do not like the story at all. I don't mind A Conneticutt Yankee in King Arthur's Court...

I also cannot stand Dune, by Frank Herbert. It was a good idea, but after a few sentences my mind drifts to other subjects.
Dubatuluk
Ranger of the North

Postby Ilyda » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:28 pm

I did not especially like Bridge to Terabithia, Tuck Everlasting, or The Joy Luck Club. I hear everybody talk about how great all of those stories are, but I just did not like them. I don't like Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury) or Dickens either. Most of my other "least favorites" are books most other people don't like either.

My problem, which has been highlighted even more here, is that I tend to like books that nobody else does. When we read The Picture of Dorian Gray in high school, I loved it, but no one else did. Shakespeare is incredible. The Great Gatsby was good. I liked Huck Finn. Catcher in the Rye was hilarious. And seeing how many people dislike Hemingway, I seem to be in a minority with my affection for The Sun Also Rises.
Ilyda
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:26 pm

Hi, Ilyda! Don't worry about liking what others hate or vice versa, that's why this thread it here...to vent.

My thread it still alive! Whee! (or is that wii?) :P

So, I'll add a new one to my list: The Bad Beginning from A Series of Unfortunate Events. It was well written, and I stuck with it to see how it would end...but it is SO DEPRESSING!!

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Witchwench » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:43 pm

The three novels by John Steinbeck all made me want to go out and hang myself for fun.

Talk about Depression factor 10

The Red Pony
The Grapes of Wrath
Of Mice and Men

Really, I don't know if he wrote anything that made you feel good, but I avoid all his novels and any movie derived from one of his novels...Yuck
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby Parmamaite » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:59 pm

I read the first 5 chapters or so of The Da Vinci Code recently, I expected it to be bad, but I was bored and thought I'd see what all the fuss was about.

Man, talk about one bad book! flat unbelievable cardboard characters, and lousy descriptions, with too many inane uninteresting details. *yawn*

Another case in point is Richard Adams, I like Watership Down but Shardik doesn't work for me, and Maia is among the worst kind of trite that I've ever seen, seems to me that he wanted to publish as much as possible to cash in on his name, and never mind the quality.
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby Mithnen » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:54 am

I totally agree about The Da Vinci Code. I enjoyed Angels & Demons and expected Code to be much better since it got so much hype... um no. Horribly boring & predictable.

.mithy
Mithnen
Ranger of the North

Postby draupnir » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:09 am

Witchwench wrote:The three novels by John Steinbeck all made me want to go out and hang myself for fun.

Talk about Depression factor 10

The Red Pony
The Grapes of Wrath
Of Mice and Men

Really, I don't know if he wrote anything that made you feel good, but I avoid all his novels and any movie derived from one of his novels...Yuck

I don't care much for Steinbeck either, but one book of his that I've read more than once is Travels with Charley . The story in short:
Steinbeck decides to take his pet poodle, Charley, on a 10,000 mile journey around the United States in 1960.
So to all you Steinbeck-dislikers out there, please give Charley a chance. :)

As for a book I've read recently and strongly disliked, even though my friend who recommended it to me loved it passionately, is The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. The first 50 pages or so were okay, but after that I started to flag. Seriously. Then after another 100 pages or so, I wanted to scream and throw the book in the trash. But I persevered and read the whole thing through. I know I'm not allowed to use bad language here at torc, so my emotions connected to this book will be summed up as: :x

And this is a book manymanymany people love and cherish! I cannot believe it. I'm speechless. It's an utter piece of ****
draupnir
Ranger of the North

Postby Penny_to_pay » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:12 am

The Da Vinci Code. I hated it as well as Angels and Demons. I swear that bloke can't write for ****
Penny_to_pay
Shield Bearer

Postby Nár » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:53 am

I tried to read some books by Wilbur Smith and Clive Cussler, but I have been unable to complete them.

Honestly, nearly every time I try to read a modern bestseller, I am bored to tears (that's why I haven't tried to read the Da Vinci Code yet, and I probably never will).

Not that I am a snob: I watch quite a lot of poor movies (usually helped by the company of a couple of friends and a couple of beers :D )

However, when it comes to books I become a bit picky ;)
Nár
Ranger of the North

Postby MrsSmeagol » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:01 pm

Harry Potter. I started reading the first one to my kids but they (and I) hated it! Boring, predictable, and the characters/plot straight out of Roald Dahl. Haven't tried to read one again (we never finished it) but seen the films. Also found them dire, unimaginative and boring jolly hockeysticks nonsense.
MrsSmeagol
Shield Bearer

Postby erinhue » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:25 pm

Asminov, I just don' t get it, or at least I can't get into him enough to actually get anywhere. I thought was being punished trying to get through The Foundation series, never did get far come to think of it.
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Compa_Mighty » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:37 pm

One hundred years of solitude by García Márquez.

It's a big thing here in Mexico... I must say I just don't get contemporary Latin American authors.

I read the first 90 pages and left it...
Compa_Mighty
Shield Bearer

Postby MrsSmeagol » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:56 pm

Manda Scott's cringeworthy 'Boudicca' series. By the end of Chapter One, I wanted the Romans to kill her. Quick. :) I read the 1st and 2nd books as this is a period of history that interests me and I thought maybe the first one was not doing Manda Scott justice as a writer (I'd enjoyed her columns in a magazine for years). Nope. That was pants too. No plot. And the characters were unlikebale. I was cheering them Romans on.
MrsSmeagol
Shield Bearer

Postby Ivriniel » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:16 pm

MrsSmeagol wrote:Manda Scott's cringeworthy 'Boudicca' series. By the end of Chapter One, I wanted the Romans to kill her. Quick. :) I read the 1st and 2nd books as this is a period of history that interests me and I thought maybe the first one was not doing Manda Scott justice as a writer (I'd enjoyed her columns in a magazine for years). Nope. That was pants too.

"That was pants?" Is this some kind of UK slang? :)

Ivriniel
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby MrsSmeagol » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:03 pm

Lol 'pants' means something is really useless, rubbish. It's English pants not US, so it's referring to underwear...
MrsSmeagol
Shield Bearer

Postby Ivriniel » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:06 pm

MrsSmeagol wrote:Lol 'pants' means something is really useless, rubbish. It's English pants not US, so it's referring to underwear...

I thought underpants were knickers in the UK. :)

Ivriniel
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to The Books (Other Authors)