Dickens

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Re: Dickens

Postby Morwenna » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:12 pm

Believe me, there's hardly anything shown of what goes on in the court (unlike, say, A Tale of two Cities); most of it is the repercussions on the people whose cases are tied up there. And, it being by Dickens, there are a lot of subplots. :) But everything's tied together somehow whether the characters realize it or not.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:27 pm

Ohh, it is? Okay then! It's going to my to-read list then! :D
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:44 am

I'm bumping this to see if anyone has been reading or re-reading the Christmas Books or anything related.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Arlaug » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:57 am

I am reading David C. so that, I guess, is quite unrelated. That being said, I enjoy the plot(s) so far. I am on the book 2.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby Morwenna » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:10 am

Not having a copy ready to hand, I want to know how far along in the story is that?
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Arlaug » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:47 am

Hm, well right after DC slammed Uriah Heep :P that was a part I dozed off with last night.
I was however so moved with Agnes' coming to visit and her meeting Dora. I know the ending well so I find her bearing such a sensitive and profound thing.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby Morwenna » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:12 am

It's interesting to see the interaction between Dora and Agnes. I wonder how many women in similar circumstances would react to each other so well in real life? It is an ideal, but sometimes people really do rise to the ideal, whether some people find it plausible or not.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby markkur » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:55 am

Morwenna wrote:I'm bumping this to see if anyone has been reading or re-reading the Christmas Books or anything related.

I read The Chimes for the first time this past Christmas. I'm surprised I had not heard about it before; it's not as good as A Christmas Carol but it is also quite a worthwhile story. Maybe the obscurity is due to the book being a tad difficult to follow in a few spots?

I was never interested in reading anything Dickens :D until a few years ago when I bought a DVD collection of five productions of his works. Those movies were made so well that I have since became very interested in the creation of Characters. It seems JRRT had absolute stranglehold on my imagination for decades but TG I now have a "new adventure;" Dickens is a genius in his depiction of people, so...better late than never.<L>
markkur
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Arlaug » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:59 am

Morwenna wrote:It's interesting to see the interaction between Dora and Agnes. I wonder how many women in similar circumstances would react to each other so well in real life? It is an ideal, but sometimes people really do rise to the ideal, whether some people find it plausible or not.

Spot on. And I must say how irritating the case of Dora is, made me think of Emma (Austen); I cannot fathom why did DC fall for her next to someone like Agnes. Alas, the looks.
On the upper post, I suggest a watch of more recent The Invisible Woman.
Arlaug
Shield Bearer

Postby Morwenna » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:18 am

There's no accounting for hormones. And most people have at one time or another fallen head-over-heels (shouldn't that really be "heels-over-head"?) with someone totally unsuitable if one were going about it logically. Dickens was writing from personal experience here.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:20 pm

Bumping to ask, is anyone reading or re-reading the Christmas Books this season?
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Previous

Return to The Books (Other Authors)