Fritz Leiber's "Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser"

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Fritz Leiber's "Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser"

Postby TLS » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:20 pm

Any other fans of this series? What's your favorite story?
TLS
Petitioner to the Council

Postby The Nameless Thing » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:10 am

Wow, I read these in the 60's....... :shock:

I can't remember any details from the stories, only that I read all that was availiable at the time.

Good memories.
The Nameless Thing
Ranger of the North

Postby Turion » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:35 am

God I love those books. I have the complete series still. Although I heard another book or two were written not to long ago,by another author.

Fave Story? Hmmm Would have to be when they went against the rat kingdom under Lankmar.
Turion

Postby TLS » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:52 pm

Personally, Bazaar of the Bizarre is my favorite story. That is a true masterpiece.
TLS

Postby Durin VIII » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:26 pm

The past few months I have been reading them again for the first time in 20+ years. Even with spreading them out they still get a rather bit repetitive after 4 books or so. I think the first 3 stories are my favorite as we are introduced to these wonderful characters.

Still it takes me back to a time when the fantasy genre was so much more open then the epic quest that is all we see these days. Granted it was hidden amongst the sci-fi and there were far fewer choices, but the choices that we did have were all different. Now there are more choices, but they are all the same.
Durin VIII
Ranger of the North

Postby Turion » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:50 am

Durin VIII wrote:The past few months I have been reading them again for the first time in 20+ years. Even with spreading them out they still get a rather bit repetitive after 4 books or so. I think the first 3 stories are my favorite as we are introduced to these wonderful characters.

Still it takes me back to a time when the fantasy genre was so much more open then the epic quest that is all we see these days. Granted it was hidden amongst the sci-fi and there were far fewer choices, but the choices that we did have were all different. Now there are more choices, but they are all the same.

Amen to that. Todays fantasy follows a predictable format. Take Jordan for instance. You can guess out the entire story line after a book or two. Or even part way throught the first book.

Old fantasy was so much better. Tolkien,Lewis,Wagner,Moorcock and many others.
Turion

Postby TLS » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:30 pm

When I read Swords of Lankhmar I got the impression that the gods of Lankhmar( which are different than the gods in Lankhmar) were the mummies of the previous overlords but I don't think it was explicitly stated as such. Was it explicit? Did anyone else get that impression?

And, considering the way they were described, I got the impression of cranky old men. The had "canes" to hit troublesome youngsters.
TLS

Postby ToshoftheWuffingas » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:57 pm

Ah yes, I read them many years ago and loved them. Has anyone ever remarked on the similarities between Lankhmar and Ankh Morpork? I've thought that Pratchett gets a little of his fantasy tone from Leiber.
ToshoftheWuffingas
Ranger of the North

Postby Dunthule » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:41 pm

Wow, I haven't thought of Lieber's stories in a while. :shock:
I read them before reading The Hobbit and LoTRs.

I loved them as they got me hooked on the genre. :)
I do remember liking the first few books better than the others.
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby MorwenCelebrin » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:38 am

I haven't read these particular books by Leiber (yet), but I'm a MASSIVE fan of his short stories so I felt like I should bump this thread! Has anyone else read his sci-fi works? If you're a fan of PKD, Wyndham, or even Orwell, you'll probably like them.
MorwenCelebrin
Citizen of Imladris

Return to The Books (Other Authors)