So how did you learn to read?

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Postby Ivriniel » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:27 pm

portia wrote:
IamMoose wrote: Fortunately the school I went to allowed me to work at my own pace rather than forcing me to learn again.

For some reason, this reminds me of an odd event in fifth grade. I was sent from my regular classroom to a remedial reading room for a couple of hours three times a week for several weeks. Since I was reading above grade level at that time, I thought it strange. My parents were never given an explanation, either.

Wow. I'm not quite sure that was legal (if it was, imho it shouldn't have been). Certainly it's not legal were I teach. Parents would need to be informed and would have to consent.

Ivriniel
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby The Nameless Thing » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:25 am

Dick and Jane, (plus don't forget Spot).

1st grade. Mrs. Morganson.

"See Spot run. Run. Run. Run."
The Nameless Thing
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:03 pm

See Dick tease Spot.
See Spot bite Dick.
Cry, Dick, cry!
See Jane laugh...

:D

I remember using those, but I was reading before I got to them, so then I found them rather pendantic. (Sure I used that word in the first grade, don't you believe me?)
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby BlueEyedPheonix » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:01 pm

Well i can thank Dr. Susse. (not sure how you spell his name)
One fish
Two fish
Red fish
Blue fish
:-)
BlueEyedPheonix
Citizen of Imladris

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:05 pm

Thisone has a little star
this one has a little car
My, what a lot of fish there are!

I love that man.
IrisBrandybuck

Postby starlin » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:39 pm

I was about 2 when my mom started teaching the ABC to me (Lithuanian ABC has 32 letters, by the way :P), I remember she had made this huge poster and hung it in front of the sofa. And the sound cluster "ch" (which is pronounced like in German) was the most difficult to recognize. Anyway, this was the ABC and I did know the letters then, but my 'reading' consisted of memorizing poems read by my mom and then reciting them staring at the book as if I could really read them. At least that's what my mom tells me. I knew quite a bunch of those poems, we have them taped... Anyways, I think I actually started reading at the age of 4, and my first book was at the age 5, it was "The Magical Journeys of Nils", not sure how you call it in English, it's by some Scandinavian author, a very thick one, and I still remember that my book lacked the last page so I never knew how the story ended :)

In the first grade at primary school they used to do those tests, how many words you can read (aloud) in a minute, I remember setting a record, 164 words per minute :D
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue May 01, 2007 5:45 am

:shock: wow, that's a lot of words!

Please tell me you did eventually find out how the story ended...otherwise I'll feel really sad for you...:)
IrisBrandybuck

Postby starlin » Tue May 01, 2007 6:29 pm

No, I didn't :P But it was more than 15 years ago so I'd have to read the whole book again if I wanted to find out!
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed May 02, 2007 8:06 am

Well, what are you waiting for? :D :P :)
IrisBrandybuck

Postby starlin » Wed May 02, 2007 7:24 pm

Perhaps a day when I can read it to my children... too much other stuff right now! ;)
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:29 pm

I almost feel sorry for my grandson. Everyone in the family is a
serious reader and everyone wants to pitch in and teach him to read. He will be reading whether he wants to or not! He loves to be read to, and is interested in letters, so I guess he is off to a good start.

Then he can feel like a big fella and teach his baby sister.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Claymore » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:19 am

I was already 'reading' comics when I was four or something but in fact I was just looking at the pictures and making up stories for myself. I also knew how to write my name but in fact I knew that those little drawings my mother showed me were my name but not what each of these little drawings meant. I was very visual.
I learned to read in Dutch at school together with the other kids although I was very fast and I learned myself to read in French with the help of my favorite French book that I knew by heart because my mother had read it so often to me.
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby MrsSmeagol » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:08 am

My parents just read to us continually, told us stories, etc. My parents said if I learned to read they'd buy me a comic every week. That was a big incentive.

In the cottage next door was an elderly lady, and I used to go and sit on her knee every day and 'read' the paper with her. So it just happened. I went to school at 4 and could already read then but have no memory of the penny dropping, just remember walking down the village one day and a lorry went past and I read the writing on the side to my friend and realised I could read.

When I changed teachers at 7, and they'd built a new school in the village with some of the teachers from the old boys' school so they didn't know us, my new teacher (a lovely old gentleman, close to if not beyond retirement age) refused to believe I could free read (off the reading scheme, reading whatever I wanted). So he gave me a challenge. He said if I read every single book in the reading scheme in one day - I could free read. (Gods alone know what sort of record keeping they had in the 1960s). I said OK and had read them by lunch-time. No more talk of reading scheme books.

My own kids have learned to read at wildly different ages - depends on personality and lots of other things. One could read fluently at 4, one at five and my autistic son is only just reading at 14. It varies widely, but it's no proof of being a 'good' reader if you can read at 4 - some of the most avid readers are late starters!
MrsSmeagol
Shield Bearer

Postby Morwenna » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:20 pm

I was about 4 or 5, I believe. It was sort of osmosis combined with curiosity. When my mother read to me I'd perch on the arm of her chair and look on. I'd point out words on signs or on TV and ask what they were. By the time I was in kindergarten (5 1/2) I could read, though they didn't teach reading till first grade. By the middle of first grade I was reading at 4th grade level. Nobody tested me after that. I was simply in the first reading group every year. And yes, we started with Dick and Jane!

I could recite nursery rhymes when I was 2 or 3; my mother was so proud of the fact that I knew "I saw a ship a-sailing" cold.

BTW, I was also good at math.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Crucifer » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:26 pm

I was two, and my older sister was learning how to read at school, so she came home and gave me the lesson she had learned in school that day. By the time I was three I was reading everything I could lay my hands on. By the time I was 7 I had already read The Hobbit, LOTR and most of the bible.
Crucifer
Shield Bearer

Previous

Return to The Books (Other Authors)