Rest In Peace, Robert Jordan

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Rest In Peace, Robert Jordan

Postby Wildwood » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:22 pm

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

For starters, it is sad anytime a favored author passes away. Week before last, Madeleine L'Engle left us. Last week - Robert Jordan lost his battle with a rather nasty disease. That's so sad - for him, his family, and anyone who read and enjoyed his books. <sigh>

Regrettably, he also passed on without finishing that blasted series I got roped into! And - to make matters even worse - I feel really bad about something, as well. You see, my standing RJ joke has always been that his tombstone would read "The End". By this I meant to wish, fervently, that he would hurry up and finish the series, so I could finally see what happened to Rand, Mat, Perrin and all the rest.

In fact, when his last WoT book, Knife of Dreams, came out, our friend HFB went to a book signing. He got me a signed copy of it. He asked, before he went, whether there was anything I wanted to say to RJ. I said yes, to please say "Hurry up!" and also "Don't die." UGh! It was not too long after that I learned of his disease. I felt horrible about my joke, at that point, as you can well imagine.

Reports, until recently, had been very positive and we had hopes of him pulling through, but the disease claimed him last week, and so the series is unfinished. He left copious notes and recordings, so a ghost writer could finish it for him. There will be a 12th and final book. The plot, with all its characteristic twists and turns, will have been totally dictated by RJ himself, so at least we get to know what he intended to have happen in the last book of the series. But it won't have his "voice". How could it??

His wife, Harriet, was his editor, I believe, and she is going to shepherd the book to publishing, I am sure, but still....it can't possibly be the same.

I know a lot of people disliked his story. I"ve heard it was too long and too confusing. Lots of series' have 12 books or more, but usually are comprised of many separate stories. This is just one big ol' story! but I enjoyed the length of time he took to line up all the ducks and I was looking forward to seeing him shoot them all down.

Again I say.....<sigh>.

Right! So anybody who despised those books. or for whatever reason, RJ himself, please take a pass on replying here, unless it is to say something nicely. For any who were fans but did not know of this, I hope I did not break it to you too ungently.

I'm sad! Sad for him. Sad for his family, especially his wife, who seems so sweet. And sad for me! :(

EDIT: just found remarks about this on another thread, but I am leaving this one. I think his passing deserves a thread of its own!
Wildwood
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:21 pm

Oh, I did read some Jordan, I didn't get into WoT as many of my friends did. But I do feel the pain of an author that you love passing.

I give my regrets to his family, friends and fans.

I hope that the finished product will be satisfactory to you and close the gap of wishing he could have finished the series.

:hug: Wildwood!!
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Re: Rest In Peace, Robert Jordan

Postby Foe Hammer » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:37 am

Wildwood wrote:WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

For starters, it is sad anytime a favored author passes away. Week before last, Madeleine L'Engle left us. Last week - Robert Jordan lost his battle with a rather nasty disease. That's so sad - for him, his family, and anyone who read and enjoyed his books. <sigh>

Regrettably, he also passed on without finishing that blasted series I got roped into! And - to make matters even worse - I feel really bad about something, as well. You see, my standing RJ joke has always been that his tombstone would read "The End". By this I meant to wish, fervently, that he would hurry up and finish the series, so I could finally see what happened to Rand, Mat, Perrin and all the rest.

In fact, when his last WoT book, Knife of Dreams, came out, our friend HFB went to a book signing. He got me a signed copy of it. He asked, before he went, whether there was anything I wanted to say to RJ. I said yes, to please say "Hurry up!" and also "Don't die." UGh! It was not too long after that I learned of his disease. I felt horrible about my joke, at that point, as you can well imagine.

Reports, until recently, had been very positive and we had hopes of him pulling through, but the disease claimed him last week, and so the series is unfinished. He left copious notes and recordings, so a ghost writer could finish it for him. There will be a 12th and final book. The plot, with all its characteristic twists and turns, will have been totally dictated by RJ himself, so at least we get to know what he intended to have happen in the last book of the series. But it won't have his "voice". How could it??

His wife, Harriet, was his editor, I believe, and she is going to shepherd the book to publishing, I am sure, but still....it can't possibly be the same.

I know a lot of people disliked his story. I"ve heard it was too long and too confusing. Lots of series' have 12 books or more, but usually are comprised of many separate stories. This is just one big ol' story! but I enjoyed the length of time he took to line up all the ducks and I was looking forward to seeing him shoot them all down.

Again I say.....<sigh>.

Right! So anybody who despised those books. or for whatever reason, RJ himself, please take a pass on replying here, unless it is to say something nicely. For any who were fans but did not know of this, I hope I did not break it to you too ungently.

I'm sad! Sad for him. Sad for his family, especially his wife, who seems so sweet. And sad for me! :(

EDIT: just found remarks about this on another thread, but I am leaving this one. I think his passing deserves a thread of its own!

Well at least I guess we know the series is over.... finally.

I regret his passing... He was a good author. About all I can respectfully say. He will be missed.
Foe Hammer
Petitioner to the Council

Postby KingOfNumenor » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:29 pm

I was very sad at his passing. I loved his books, they were long but different, and i was never once bored. I think it's a shame he didn't finish it, a real shame, and wildwood is right - it wont be the same finished by someone else. But the least we can hope for is that the last book will tie up loose ends in our mind, and finally we will know the outcome of Tarmon Gai'don and what happens to everyone! I think it will be a long wait though....
KingOfNumenor
Petitioner to the Council

Return to The Books (Other Authors)