And what are you reading now? Continued!

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Re: And what are you reading now? Continued!

Postby Frelga » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:03 pm

Finished The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss, the second in the Kingkiller Chronicles. I enjoyed it and found it to be a much more polished and mature book than the first, and a more absorbing one. Unfortunately, there is no word on when the third book might be out
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Tsalagi_Phoenix » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:39 pm

I'm reading The Possibilities of Sainthood by Donna Freitas.
Tsalagi_Phoenix
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Canamarth » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:29 am

Frelga, already liked the first Rothfuss but the second was even better, you're right.

As I was travelling and didn't want to bring along the large and heavy Wolves (which I haven't finished yet), I planned to buy a smaller paperback on the journey. Paperback, check. Small? Not really. Started China Miéville's The Scar, second in the Bas-Lag universe (but the books are independent). Great read! Especially when you're crossing the sea in a ship while reading about monsters that could lurk underneath ... :)
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby The Nameless Thing » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:01 am

The new Dresden. Skin Games.
The Nameless Thing
Ranger of the North

Postby siddharth » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:39 am

A Wizard of Earthsea

Loving the series. (first time)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Have fun siddharth! I read them a while back and while I love how the stories evolve (from a mere fantasy copy to stories addressing deeper issues), I'm simply not overly fascinated with the secondary world. Can't exactly say why.

Reading A Companion to J.R.R. Tolkien, edited by Stuard D. Lee for review now. It brings together the who-is-who of Tolkien scholarship and so far, I've not been disappointed.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby PatriotBlade » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:34 pm

Sid, I've been reading those since High School. I LOVE them! Ursula K. LeGuine is one of my favorite authors! :-D
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:45 pm

Ooh, sidd, the original trilogy is excellent. (When I read The Wizard of Earthsea there were only three books. :D ) I found the later books not as interesting, but perhaps that's because I read the original books over ten years before the later ones came out.

I've just finished The Three Musketeers - it was excellent. Milady was diabolical.
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby LleuLlewGyffes » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:38 pm

Ursula K. LeGuin, The Lathe of Heaven

The author's most P K Dickesque novel, but with the added bonus of her majesterial writing style. It's a book I don't want to finish.

As an aside, the Earthsea series can be divided into the first three novels, before LeGuin felt obliged to fly the feminist flag, and the later sequels, in which her male protagonist is emasculated and side-lined.

The former is genius, the latter... not.
LleuLlewGyffes
Citizen of Imladris

Postby siddharth » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:14 pm

heliona wrote:Ooh, sidd, the original trilogy is excellent. (When I read The Wizard of Earthsea there were only three books. :D ) I found the later books not as interesting, but perhaps that's because I read the original books over ten years before the later ones came out.

Liking it a lot so far. I have the quartet in a single book. So I would be reading the first four books, ending with Tehanu.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:28 am

LleuLlewGyffes wrote:As an aside, the Earthsea series can be divided into the first three novels, before LeGuin felt obliged to fly the feminist flag, and the later sequels, in which her male protagonist is emasculated and side-lined.
The former is genius, the latter... not.

...is one opinion. :) I liked the mature works far better, though, as I said, I am not so much into this particularly secondary world.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:03 am

I haven't read any of the Earthsea books in a while - I wonder if I'd read them as adults, whether I'd prefer the later books. However, as time can not be turned back, I shall never know. :) The Wizard of Earthsea I read a few years after I first read The Hobbit, and I loved it (so I was about seven or eight). Not longer afterwards, I found the other two. I preferred Tombs of Atuan to The Farthest Shore. Upon rereading them much later, I was surprised how much was in A Wizard of Earthsea. So much happens in that first novel!

Having finished The Three Musketeers I've changed tack and am now starting Stephen King's The Gunslinger, first in the Dark Tower series. (It's the 2003 revised edition - I think Wilko has the original version.)
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Tsalagi_Phoenix » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:55 am

I'm reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie.
Tsalagi_Phoenix
Citizen of Imladris

Postby portia » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:14 am

I just finished the Latest (?) Beaton book about Policemen Hamish McBeath: "Death of a Policeman"

I am starting a W.E.B. Griffin book.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Canamarth » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:29 pm

heliona wrote:Having finished The Three Musketeers I've changed tack and am now starting Stephen King's The Gunslinger, first in the Dark Tower series. (It's the 2003 revised edition - I think Wilko has the original version.)

Excellent, excellent choice. :) How are you liking it? I still have two books to (re-)read from the Dark Tower series but need to cram in some more reading for review before I can continue. Now on the bedside table: Tolkien in the New Century: Essays in Honor of Tom Shippey, ed. by John Houghton et al.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby PatriotBlade » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:04 pm

Even though I was enjoying Game of Thrones, I was unable to find time to finish it. I will try again eventually. I am now trying to read Divergent.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Tsalagi_Phoenix » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:11 pm

Currently reading What the Moon Said by Gayle Rosengren.
Tsalagi_Phoenix
Citizen of Imladris

Postby TheGreenWizard » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:40 am

The Art of Power by Jon Meachem, it is a biography of Thomas Jefferson. I am nearly finished with it and have thought it excellent so far. It provides a fascinating look into Jefferson the human being.
TheGreenWizard
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Adaminth The Grey » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:14 pm

Currently I am (for the third time) reading "The Medicus" (Noah Gordon)
Adaminth The Grey
Shield Bearer

Postby The Nameless Thing » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:05 am

Currently reading the hugely entertaining James Rollins 'Sigma Series'. Outlandish world crisis's solved by a DAPRA team of scientists/green berets.

Very enjoyable.
The Nameless Thing
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:59 pm

Finished Divergent and Insurgent, now reading Shifting Shadows, by Patricia Briggs.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Tsalagi_Phoenix » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:35 am

I'm reading City of the Dead by Brian Keene.
Tsalagi_Phoenix
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Finarphir » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:35 pm

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.
My gawd this novel rocks! Written by the dude who brought us Fanboys, I hear it's in the works for a bigscreen treatment. Anyone who grew up in the 70's-80's will be in nostalgia heaven...this book is packed tight with more geek candy than most could possible eat. There's D&D, Wargames, Godzilla, Ultraman! (yes, ULTRAMAN!!!), Pacman, Joust, John Hughs movies, etc., ad.infinitum...literally, almost everything that was 70's-80"s pop-culture (mostly 80's) is in here, in a very good way.
The story centers around a networked virtual world that folks plug into, in the not too distant future, for just about anything and everything. The guy who created the virtual world (known as OASIS) dies and leaves his massive Bill Gates-like fortune to whoever can find the easter eggs and solve the mysteries/riddles he left behind. Many are hoping to find the prize including evil corporate douchebags that will stop at nothing to get the big payday. The story is funny, intense and straight up addictive! Well written with many homages to the often despised '80's, this novel gives the decade new respect...in retrospect.
Highly recommended!
Finarphir
Shield Bearer

Postby PatriotBlade » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:09 pm

Listening Woman by Tony Hillerman
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:18 am

Just finished "Death Come Quickly" a China Bayles book by Albert. Very Cosy but interesting.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:10 pm

Am ready To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee for the umpteenth time. Love it!
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:24 am

God Stalk by P C. Hodgell (borrowed from a friend--and just yesterday I found out it's the first in a series! :shock: )

And re-reading Dickens' Christmas books. ('Tis the season!)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Tsalagi_Phoenix » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:03 pm

I'm reading Whispers from the Grave by Leslie Rule.
Tsalagi_Phoenix
Citizen of Imladris

Postby markkur » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:50 am

I just finished reading Sir Walter Scott for the first time. Andrew Marr (in his recent vid-bio of Scott) stated his favorite work by Scott is The Heart of Mid-Lothian, so I gave that book a go. Marr also said; it is a commonly-held opinion that Scott did not write female characters well. Now that I have read Lothian...I strongly disagree with that view.

<imvho>For the most part, the story is driven by a very well defined Jeanie Deans. Just like Dickens, Scott weaves a lot of detail into his players and I found I related to Jeanie's struggle very well indeed and although it is a story about life in the 1700s Jeanie does not sit weeping, waiting for a man to make things right. She is one very strong and determined person...nearly as much as our dear Frodo Baggins. :D

However, I will add this about The Heart of Mid-Lothian it is NOT an easy read. Although Scott made the all important career decision to "write in English" he did not forsake his native Scotts dialect. I found it to be, at times, almost as difficult as middle-English...almost. :wink:

I'm trying to decide what to read next. I am leaning towards Robert Louis Stevenson's Davey Balfour. I enjoyed the 1995? production Kidnapped so this pick should be a good one but because of http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/ I always feel like a "kid in a penny candy store holding a pound-note."

Btw, for anyone that likes historical novels, I discovered a genre-forerunner to the likes of Edward Rutherford. G.A. Henty's The Dragon and the Raven was a good yarn set in King Alfred's time and I read another by the same author about the Luddite uprising in merry 1800s England called Through the Fray. Neither book was awesome but both were nicely done and held my interest just as much as todays writers.
markkur
Citizen of Imladris

Postby MeadowForest » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:22 am

Stephen Clarke - 1000 Years of Annoying the French

An interesting and humorous read about the tiffs between Britain and France through the centuries.
MeadowForest
Shield Bearer

PreviousNext

Return to The Books (Other Authors)