And what are you reading now? Continued!

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

And what are you reading now? Continued!

Postby Silwen » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:14 pm

Time for a new thread, so come on and join in.

What has got your attention now and would you recommend it? Are you reading something you just want to finish as fast as possible because it's so good or is it something you'd really like to just put down and never open again?

I'll make a start then:

Right now I am finishing up a book about Maori resistance written by Maria Bargh. I had started it some time ago, but it took me a while to read - not because it was particularly long, but simply because it deals with politics most of the time, though not exclusively, so it is something I don't normally read. It is good though! It was important for me to get an overview of the situation of Maori people in New Zealand today and this book is a good start.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby SilverScribe » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:22 pm

Ooooh, this is such a great thread, thanks for starting another one Silwen! :)

I stumbled across a delightful fantasy trilogy this summer, by Robert Scott & Jay Gordon (sadly, I believe Jay passed away in 2005). The trilogy is called The Eldarn Sequence and it's a "portal" type fantasy . . . you know the type, where the heroes accidentally "step through" a portal of some sort and find themselves on another world and immediately in the thick of something or another . . . ;)

Anyhooo, it's quite well done, and the first two volumes, The Hickory Staff and Lessek's Key are out. I'm not quite certain when the third volume, The Larian Senators, is due to come out, I'd guess by this time next year?

I finished another trilogy this summer too, called The Bartimaeus Trilogy. I think it's really more of a British children's series, but it's very well done, the "footnote" humour is brilliant, and it's a clean series so I'd even feel safe recommending it for early teenage readers as well. :)

I'm also two books into the third "Foreigner" trilogy by C.J. Cherryh. Excellent science fiction/political thriller type stuff! I need to hunt down the third book this spring, since the hardcover is already on the shelves . . .

I picked up Children of Hurin but have yet to open it. I think it might be next on the list. ;)

:D:D:D
Last edited by SilverScribe on Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby portia » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:26 pm

All I am reading right now is craft books about Christmas. I need to make things for our church Christmas sale and also make cards. If I read something, it will take to much tme away from projects on which the clock is ticking.

But, at least when I am done, there will be a nice backlog of books at the library that I haven't read (concentrate on the bright side).
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Silwen » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:36 pm

My pleasure, Scribbles. :)

Portia, I have a sort of craving for crafts books right now! I don't have any myself (except for cross-stitch), so I scour the net for all kinds of things. I am not finding much of use for knitting so far, but that is mainly due to the fact that I am missing circular needles here so I can't do a lot of the things I'd like to try.

I have started keeping a file on my computer with pictures of future crafts projects. It is sort of addicting! Maybe it is a good thing I don't have any craft books then.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:27 am

Silwen, thank you for starting the new thread. :D

Well, I have nothing to report...I'll be back. :)

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Dunthule » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:08 pm

Masters of Chaos - It's an interesting look at the US Army special ops group from the last 25 years. Much different the the gunslinging view from Hollywood.
Dunthule
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:22 pm

I am just about to start a German book I got for review. It contains crime stories set in the Middle Ages - sounds promising. :twisted: It has been a long time since I read a German book, so I am not sure how much the language will influence my opinion of the whole book. Often, it is not a favourable influence, but that is only the case with translations into German, I think. Since these stories are originally German anyway, they should be fine.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby minyacaliel » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:15 am

Wow! A brand new thread! :)

and i started a "brand new" book: Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the wind
minyacaliel
Mariner

Postby Yavannië » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:49 am

I'm still stuck in my Goscinny/Uderzo's Astérix -comic book -phase :D

But it's just a good counterbalance for the awful exam-books I have to read.
Yavannië
Ranger of the North

Postby Dave_LF » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:55 am

World Without End, Ken Follett's new sequel to the eighteen-year-old Pillars of the Earth. Writing this book was a pretty daring thing to do given the huge success of the original (see George Lucas), but the critics say he pulled it off. I haven't read enough to have my own opinion yet.

Also just finished The Sea of Trolls, a newish young-adult fantasy about a Saxon bard's apprentice who finds himself swept off to the kingdom of a wicked half-troll by a party of Viking raiders. To secure his freedom and prevent his sister from becoming a sacrifice to Freya, he has to travel to Jotenheim with a party of (relatively) friendly berserkers and find the knowledge the queen covets at Mimir's well. It's written for people younger than I am, but was still fun to read. It's pretty hard for anything that has to do with Vikings and Norse mythology to go too wrong. :)
Dave_LF
Mariner

Postby LParsons_Of_Rohan » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:47 am

I just finished Othello for my Major British Writers course, and am on my own reading the LOTR trilogy again and just ordered The Whale Rider on Amazon.
LParsons_Of_Rohan
Petitioner to the Council

Postby greenleafwood » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:28 pm

Hi,
I'm rereading Bill Bryson's The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. Something light hearted for in between.
greenleafwood
Ranger of the North

Postby LParsons_Of_Rohan » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:57 pm

greenleafwood wrote:Hi,
I'm rereading Bill Bryson's The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. Something light hearted for in between.

That is a GREAT book. So are all of his books I've read. I hope to read them all eventually.
LParsons_Of_Rohan

Postby RavenTinuviel » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:08 pm

I picked up two old deteriorating pocket paperbacks from a garage sale.
I read the first one, The Mind Parasites by Colin Wilson, which is an intriguing sci-fi story that was written in 1967 and takes place in "the future" and the eplogue has a bit on a spaceship that was then orbiting Pluto.

The other is Comat Mission which is an old world war two novel that was written in the early fifties. I have seen the movie made from it, but the book is much much darker.
:)
RavenTinuviel
Ranger of the North

Postby The Nameless Thing » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:20 pm

I'm re-reading "The Runes of the Earth" (Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant), because I just got "Fatal Revenant" (Book 2) from Barnes and Noble in the mail yesterday. Needed a refresher.
The Nameless Thing
Ranger of the North

Postby Rymeryn » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:48 pm

I'm on a sci-fi kick. I just finished Prelude to Foundation by Isaac Asimov, which was pretty good. I'm now reading Consider Phlebas by Ian M. Banks, which i am enjoying.
Rymeryn
Shield Bearer

Postby noela » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:49 pm

Nameless, "I started reading The Runes of the Earth", today. Couldn't believe he has written 2 more books. I don't think the second, has been release here in Australia yet.

I love his books, have all of them and have all been read at least 3 or 4 times.
noela
Shield Bearer

Postby The Nameless Thing » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:41 am

I have read the whole series twice and rate it right behind LOTR for fantesy writing.
The Nameless Thing
Ranger of the North

Postby K.Evenstar » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:19 pm

Well, I finally finished Bleak House after a month (shocking!) I've read Digging to America by Anne Tyler (I liked that. No dodgy bits. Very rare for a book written these days. :roll:) and Making Money by Terry Pratchett, (fun, but not his best - the end is somewhat surreal - and I mean for Pratchett!) Now I've started David Copperfield. I'm a glutton for punishment, eh?

I like Dickens. A lot. But he does take a long to get through.
K.Evenstar
Ranger of the North

Postby tarathiel » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:23 pm

Just started Wintersmith by terry pratchett.

It's the third book in the Tiffany Aching series.
So far very good :)

Tar
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby krawler » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:17 pm

I'm currently rereading Frank Herbert's Dune series, for the third or fourth time. Currently I'm at the beginning of book 2, Dune Messiah, but haven't had much time to read lately. I first read the series during high school, and now that I'm nearing the end of my college career in a major/minor combo that focuses on reading and analyzing I find that I'm enjoying (and noticing) the subtleties far more than I did on previous readings. The story alone was enough to hook me in high school, but it certainly goes up a couple of notches now that I can follow along with the denser discussions with relative ease.
krawler
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:51 am

K.Evenstar wrote:I like Dickens. A lot. But he does take a long to get through.

Mmmm, I LOVE Dickens, and can devour his books in a wink! But that's just, er, me I guess . . . ;)

I'm now onto the last in a trilogy by S.M. Stirling called "Meeting at Corvallis". This has been a pretty good series, the first book, Dies the Fire and the second one, The Protector's War, are all tightly written and quite believable, considering the premise of some catastrophe which wipes out all modern technology like electricity, combustion engines and woooahh, firearms.

It's Lord of the Flies meets Ivanhoe . . . but it's a solid read.

Still looking at Children of Hurin . . . sitting up there on the self . . . :blush:

:D:D:D

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby Silwen » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:50 pm

While at the Frankfurt Book Fair last weekend, I got only one book (and it was free): The Six Pack Two, a collection of six short stories submitted for the New Zealand Literature Month. They are very good, like all NZ short stories by new writers I have come across so far. I am looking forward to reading them all.

I got two more German books for review while I was on holiday, both for children. I am looking forward to reading those too.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby elfenenchantment » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:28 pm

ohhhh i like this thread!!

im currently reading The Secret Lives of Elves and Faeries: From the Private Journal of the Rev. Robert Kirk

its brilliant, totally explores the worlds and habits of elves and faeries. i deffo recommend for any one who loves them :)
elfenenchantment

Postby CanadaFan » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:15 pm

I'm reading The Miserables - in French. They call it Les Miserables though. :wink:
CanadaFan
Rider of the Mark

Postby Silwen » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:21 pm

I liked Les Misérable as a BBC radio play I listened to last year. It went on for weeks and weeks. :D

I just read one of the German books for children that I got for review. It is called "The Little Angel Who Didn't Want to Grow Up". It is a book for very young children and I enjoyed the illustrations more than the story. The point of the book is to take the fear of growing up and showing that you grow with the tasks you accomplish in life.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:57 pm

I was volunteering at a place that was very quiet. I knew I'd go nuts without a book, and my Christmas projects couldn't be done there, so I started The Hobbitt, again. Back to projects.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Oscarw » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:52 pm

My uncle recommended and let me borrow 'Mordant's Need,' the two parter from Stephen Donaldson. Halfway through 'The mirror of her dreams.' Enjoying it sofar now that the pace has picked up.
Oscarw
Shield Bearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:28 pm

I read those...pretty good books overall.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby minyacaliel » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:18 am

I'm still Gone With the Wing, but now I'm also reading Terminology of Folklore. :lol:
minyacaliel
Mariner

Next

Return to The Books (Other Authors)