Japanese Manga

What other authors do Tolkien fans enjoy? Come on in and enter into a broadened conversation on the great literature of this and other times.

Postby lithorose » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:13 am

I love the Roy/Riza stuff. You're kind of never sure where they really are. Maybe they're not sure either.

I do think FMA gets a bit violent at times, and I still have a mother that feels the need to comment on every "dammit" spoken in every show I watch, but really it's a pretty good story, and I also appreciate that it isn't very sexual (though my eyebrows did go up the first time I heard there was a character named LUST in the story- it's pretty funny now...). And I love to read the little comments by Arakawa that bookend the volumes.

Well, I tripped on down to my local library. I've been getting a few FMAs from inter-library loan for months, but with waiting lists 8 deep, it's often easier to just buy it every month. However I found a much-expanded manga section from the last time I bothered to look, and came home with first volumes of Inuyasha, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Fruits Basket. Figured if they had the whole set, it wouldn't be too difficult to read through them rather quickly.

Fruits Basket- it's an interesting premise. Not sure I like the shojo look, especially around the eyes (vacant, vacant eyes!), but it's a nice break from the endless blood & guts Bleach offers, and promises to be good. I started Inuyasha (volume 2, actually)- it's surprisingly more morbid than I thought. Haven't read EVA yet.

At this point, I doubt I'll find anything as good as Fullmetal anymore. It's hard to get that combination of humor, trajedy, intelligent philosophy, and action, and particularly with an art style I love. The anime was particularly gorgeous- the characters had a "fullness" to them that anime often lacks, and their keyframe animators were REALLY good.
lithorose
Shield Bearer

Postby §ol » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:12 am

If we're traversing fully into anime, I'll toss around a variety of suggestions.

Cowboy Bebop is the staple that no person can go without seeing. Going fully in the direction of messing with one's head/philosophy, I highly recommend Serial Experiments: Lain. Trigun tells an excellent story, although I hear the manga (this is another one which deviates early on and finishes in the anime) is superior. Recently finished. If violence isn't an issue. Hellsing is quite good, as is Hellsing Ultimate (retelling, sticking to the manga, in OVAs. Currently only 3 out). Akira the movie is a classic, although it's rather violent at times. FLCL is a ride in hilarity, although you'd need to have seen a fair number of other anime to get some of the jokes. Ditto for Excel Saga - HILARIOUS, but requires knowledge of anime (since every episode is a parody of a different genre). The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzamiya was the most popular show of last year and is quite entertaining, although it deviates into that "slice of life" comedy genre that is kinda an acquired taste. And of course, the two biggest shows of last year which are both VERY excellent (probably top 5 all time for both). Baccano! is up there with Bebop for finding a balance between action, hilarity, and story, although the later episodes do get quite bloody. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is an over the top mecha show which reaches a scale which can only be described as epic. It's hilarious and compelling at the same time.

But yeah....as anime goes, FMA is quite tame when it comes to violence too, honestly. So is Bleach for that matter. I suppose I should note that I'm assuming the people I'm recommending things to are mid-to-late teens at the earliest (likely older).

Inuyasha is DBZ for girls. ;)
§ol
Mariner

Postby MithLuin » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:46 am

I'm 27. And female.

I do watch some movies that are rated R for violence, but I generally dislike movies that are rated R for sex, language and violence. I was glad I saw American History X and Boondock Saints in the edited-for-TV versions. I could tell what was missing, but was glad I didn't have to hear/see it. I watched Green Street Hooligans solely because it had Elijah Wood in it, and was very disappointed by the constant stream of profanity and facile 'message' of the movie. [And my parents also were unhappy about me bringing such garbage into their house.] My contention is generally, if it serves the story, I am okay with it, and if it's gratuitous, I'm not.

I know that FMA is not all that violent, but it does deal with death in a pretty serious way. My brother-in-law follows Neon Genesis Evangelion, so I might check that out at some point. It does seem slightly unfair that the first manga/anime I tried out turned out to be exactly what I like. I mean, what are the chances of that?!

In general, I think it inevitable that anime will come up on a thread discussing manga, and I am fine with that being part of the discussion here. But this is a Books forum, so I would like the emphasis to remain on manga, if possible.
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby GwenElf » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:12 pm

As far as objectionable content goes, I'd much rather see violence than sex. Profanity is somewhere in between, but if a book or show has a lot of R-rated swearing in it, I probably won't even try it--stuff like that just distracts me from the good points. Like Mith said, if it serves the story, I can probably hack it, but if it's just there for fanservice... no.

Sol-- I've never seen any of those shows except Cowboy Bebop, though I've heard of many of them. I get most of my anime from friends, so I'm dependent in their taste. :D We own all of InuYasha--my sisters are big fans. 167 episodes, and the series doesn't even wrap up. :P

Anyone seen Scrapped Princess? It's one of my favorites, although the heroine's rather obnoxious. (If you want an example of humor in the midst of seriousness, it's Pacifica.) If you can get past her voice, she's really pretty endearing. The rest of the characters are great; each has his or her own personal problems and motivations, and many come out of the show different than they started--I think that's one of my favorite aspects of this series: the ability of the characters (even the antagonists) to grow. The series also asks some compelling questions about humanity and free will--makes me think each time I see it.

Anyhow, back to manga! I'll have to come up with something worthwhile to say...
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby lithorose » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:18 pm

And I'm 29 (where did the time go?) There goes that theory...;)

When it comes to violence and sexual content, it isn't necessarily an age thing. I'm much less sensitive than I used to be, but that doesn't mean I necessarily like to see it. (To give you an idea- I used to be subject to nightmares from PG movies...)

And, lenient as Japanese broadcast standards seem to be (compared to this country, at least!), they still do censor things- I can think of two instances in the Bleach anime where they've censored things from the manga.
lithorose
Shield Bearer

Postby §ol » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:34 pm

lithorose wrote:And I'm 29 (where did the time go?) There goes that theory...;)

When it comes to violence and sexual content, it isn't necessarily an age thing. I'm much less sensitive than I used to be, but that doesn't mean I necessarily like to see it. (To give you an idea- I used to be subject to nightmares from PG movies...)

And, lenient as Japanese broadcast standards seem to be (compared to this country, at least!), they still do censor things- I can think of two instances in the Bleach anime where they've censored things from the manga.

They regularly censor the anime to the manga. Almost all of them fall into two categories: severed arms and underboob. :P
§ol
Mariner

Postby MithLuin » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:30 am

Huh. FMA is full of severed limbs ;) Though they tend to drip blood more than spurt it, I suppose. But the manga is rated T for teen, or 13+, or whatever, so it shouldn't need much censoring. That being said, I suspect the published English translation has a little bit less swearing than the original. I don't know Japanese, so I'm not sure....but the fan scanlations tend to have more explicit language ;).

Another (intermittent) source of anime is adult swim on Cartoon Network. You have to be awake at odd hours of the night, but you can check the schedules in advance on their website.
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby §ol » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:39 am

I was speaking of Bleach specifically with the severed arm/underboob comment. It's actually kinda comical. :P

In the manga, the one fireworks woman is missing an arm, in the anime they give her a prosthetic arm. Manga: Jidanbou gets his arm severed by Gin, anime: he gets a serious cut from Gin. Manga: the number 10 Espada rips Chad's arm off. Anime: the number 10 Espada severely hurts Chad's arm. I seem to recall there being one other occurrance of this, but can't remember excactly where - all the same, it's just hilarious how the only violence censoring I can recall always has to do with that. As for the other one, it's pretty much just summed up by Matsumodo, although one of the Espada falls under this as well, and I presume Nell will, too.

The only other notable manga->anime censoring I can think of offhand happens in Naruto, and was actually modified in the american manga as well - Neji's forehead seal.

Image Image

Also, my age question/recommendation note came from the "I still have a mother that feels the need to comment on every "dammit" spoken in every show I watch," - I presumed this arose because lith was younger and lived at home, but apparently I was wrong :P I think my mother would have a heart attack at some of the stuff I watch anymore, but even when I lived at home, I tended to avoid having my parents watch what I did. Oddly enough, the one that stuck with her was Cowboy Bebop, and when she got into Firefly, she was telling me I would love it because it was "like a live action version of that one cartoon you used to watch."

Eva is good, but jumps off the deep end toward the end of the series, is INCREDIBLY chock full of teen angst throughout, and is a little too much of the "monster of the week" flavor for my tastes. It's worth watching for the same reason that the original Mobile Suit Gundam is worth watching, though - to see where the cliches come from. MSG was the first, and everything (including Eva) rips off of it heavily, but Eva is what set the "standard" so to speak.

I'm hoping that the methods that TTGL broke the mold will cause some more interesting stuff to happen with the mecha genre - from the different designs for the mecha themselves, to breaking the whole "emo teen saves the world' schtick. Simon goes through his emo phase for a whopping two and a half episodes out of 27, and then just exudes badassness thereafter. I <3 this show unconditionally for breaking out of that mold, if nothing else.
§ol
Mariner

Postby GwenElf » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:08 pm

I've seen a lot of TTGL stuff lately-- I think it's a sign I'm supposed to go and watch it. :D

I know for D.Gray-man, they did some censoring of Allen's eye after if got smashed/jabbed out/something I can't remember-ed. :P In the anime, they never show it without a patch.

Interesting what they choose to censor. I might have to go watch the RKenshin anime to see what they censored there...
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby lithorose » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:52 pm

Ah! So I wasn't imagining it! Shiba's (forget her proper name) arm was different in the anime! Here I thought I'd just never noticed it...

I find the deep shoulder wounds rather comical- no one ever dies, they just get really BIG boo-boos! Funny what they consider too much; it gets rather niggly and comical, doesn't it?

As for my mother- I can't figure it, with some of the language SHE uses. And even Adult Swim's very late night schedule isn't enough- she's a night owl (more so than me, that's for sure!) But enough about that. (Yeah yeah, I should move out again...) I've got the whole of Samurai Champloo on tape but haven't re-watched it due to the comments I'll get (and the fact that I don't have so much time for television anymore)...

And I like it when the manga and anime are different- it leaves people with a reason to read the manga.

Anyway... TTGL is...?
lithorose
Shield Bearer

Postby §ol » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:14 am

I referred to it earlier. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. By far the most popular show of last year (only counting standalones, not ongoing. Naruto is still in a league of its own when it comes to popularity). It was kinda ridiculous - even the people who hate things because they're popular ended up liking it.

It's a Gainax (studio responsible for Neon Genesis: Evangeleon, Nadia, FLCL, Diebuster, some other stuff) mecha show. Starts off as a "teenager coming of age" sort of thing, without falling into the normal cliches, and it reaches a scale that is indescribable beyond the world "epic." Also very, very comical throughout.

The other great show from last year, which still hasn't been licensed (zomg, legal to download) yet, is Baccano! Kinda hard to get into what this one is about without spoiling things, but well....immortal alchemists who never age and instantly heal, early 1900 mafia turf wars, and lots and lots of entertaining characters all coming to a head on a single train. One of the best methods of the out-of-order showing of the story since Pulp Fiction (there's four distinct timelines that are shown interchangeably). It's apparently based off of a light novel in Japan, and covers 3 of 13 volumes. The DVDs will include 3 extra episodes, so if it doesn't get licensed, I may end up importing :) But yeah. This one gets rather bloody toward the end.

Gurren Lagann OP
Baccano! OP (sidenote: this may be my favorite OP ever - it's up there with Cowboy Bebop. And yes, there are that many characters to keep track of)
§ol
Mariner

Postby MithLuin » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:14 pm

So, I've started reading a new manga, and had to resurrect the thread to mention this.

Hellsing.

So, apparently what I said about not liking vulgar things is only true sometimes. I think I do like this manga, more or less, with some caveats. It is crass. I think this goes along with having undead zombies in it....any story involving flesh-eating zombies tends to go in for crude humor. I'm not sure why that is, but whatever. The younger Valentine brother can go jump in a lake, as far as I'm concerned. I'm glad he didn't last very long. There is some clever humor and repartes that I appreciate.

It is almost exclusively action based, so lots of duels, many of them pointless or inconclusive. I consider this to be a weakness, as is stopping to laugh like a maniac in the midst of your duels. I don't mind when Alucard does it, because his fighting style is to take all the bullets anyway; he doesn't need to dodge or even pay attention, really. But for everyone else, the posturing is so stylized and dumb :P Going along with this, there is soooo much blood splatter and dismemberment, that I just flip-flip-flip through those pages after awhile - they get boring!

And why is it that the secret agency of the Vatican always has to be the bad guys? I mean, seriously! I think my favorite part of the movie Van Helsing was that they were the good guys for once ;). And since the story takes place at the turn of this century, the pope in question is JPII. I mean, really! What Polish pope would ever work with the Nazis? Oh yes...and Nazis-as-villains is a strike against it as well, but mostly because they are out of place in time. I expect the Nazis to be the villains if the story is set during WWII...but that's harder to swallow in 1999.

Seras Victoria may be a great character, but she's drawn in a gravity-defying way. If her shirt were less elastic, her skirt longer, and her gun smaller, I'd be much happier with the artwork.

But what I like about the story thus far are the interactions of the main characters: Alucard, Seras Victoria, and Integra Hellsing. It's pretty cool, and has some depth to it.

Hobby wrote:Just curious, is there ever sexual violence in which the men are victimised? (I guess if things were a bit even in that respect I'd not find it quite so sick.)

I don't think that makes it any less sick. But to answer the question, I have no idea. One question would be to ask how much sexual subtext you read into vampire stories? Because men can be victims there, certainly.

Edit: And if you include boys as men, then certainly.

An example from Hellsing:
Page 1

The depiction isn't overly graphic or anything, but the purpose of the scene is clearly to show that the boy is being raped. Lest we feel too sorry for him...the rest of the chapter goes on to detail how he grows up to become Vlad the Impaler and (eventually) Dracula. This piece of backstory is not gratuitous, since it helps to define the character.

Now that I think about it, there really isn't much sex in this story at all. I think this scene (and two kisses) are it. Oh, wait, no - there is also a flashback to someone raping a woman's corpse. Okay, so two rapes in flashback, and two kisses in realtime. The two main female characters inform the readers that they are virgins.
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby MithLuin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:44 pm

Clearly I need to read more manga. :) I just finished up with the scanlations of Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, the CLAMP epic multiverse of crossovers. I will admit that I watched season 1 of the anime and only read from about chapter 100 onwards. I was okay (though slightly bored) with the quest for the feathers, but enjoyed the story more once the real plot started picking up. Not that the real plot makes ANY sense whatsoever, in the end. I mean, maybe. Kinda. But really? Just bizarre. Not that this was a bad thing - I enjoyed it. It just made my head explode. Fai and Kurogane have to win for most!depressing!backstory!EVER. Kurogane's is tragic in a straightforward kind of way, but Fai's is just...sadistic. On top of it all, he was mostly lied to about *everything*. Oh, and speaking of censoring from manga to anime, apparently severed limbs are more palatable if they are turned to stone rather than dripping blood.

For anyone who didn't know, the series has finished up and the epilogue is out. I haven't read XXXholic yet, but that's the obvious next move.

As for anime, I've watched Gurren Lagann, and liked it okay, but found it over-the-top in many ways. 'Just believe in yourself' only gets me so far, as well as the flimsy attempt at explaining all technology with the word "spiral." I did like the character Viral, though, and appreciated a few directions they didn't take the ending. So, overall, positive, but not quite my cup of tea.

I much prefer Code Geass, and have become slightly obsessed with it this summer. Interesting characters, pretty intense best-friends-trying-to-kill-each-other, and moral dilemmas abounding in a world where actions HAVE CONSEQUENCES (here's looking at you, TTGL) and terrorists that are, well, not necessarily freedom fighters. Add to that the fact that if something can go wrong, it will, and you've got a plot with a twist or reveal just about every episode. The second season was a bit rough at the beginning, but overall I liked the direction they went with it. It was clear from almost the beginning that Lelouch was going to damn himself with his newfound power, but they gave him a decent resolution that didn't neglect that. Still an ambiguous ending, but meh. Just so long as they don't try to do another season, I'm okay with it. One thing that annoyed me was the tease of having climaxes that ended with time skips. The brief flashbacks generally weren't all that satisfying. The show has a bit of something for everyone. Character designs by CLAMP, so bishonen noodle boys, but gorgeous outfits. Good music. Neat mecha battles. School story on the side with hints of romance. Oh, and teenagers trying to take over the world.
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Isildur's Bane » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:36 pm

Right now I am reading a series called Vagabond, which is an epic story about a Samurai that takes place just before the Shogunate period.

This has an enormous amount of depth for a manga, and throughout the story you can witness the gradual evolution of the main character from a simple peasant who went off to fight in a war to one of the greatest Samurais in all of the land.

About a week ago I finished the first megavolume (which holds vol. 1-3), and soon I will pick up the second.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/142152 ... 3SRJMMSWAD

Isildur's Bane
Citizen of Imladris

Re: Japanese Manga

Postby kakukualex » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:24 am

I also like Japanese Manga, my favorite one is Bleach :) :twisted:
I don't know if you guys like rpg based on manga, I hoped that there would be a rpg based on Bleach very much!
Fortunately, there exist on called Bleach Online from GoGames, I haven't play so long, but it's seems good.
http://www.gogames.me :D :D :D would you like to have a try?
kakukualex
Petitioner to the Council

Postby MithrandirMatheus » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:07 am

Hey everyone! Count me in as a manga lover too!
FMA, Naruto, Death Note and Bleach, amongst others. I also like Manhwa, which are like "Korean mangas"

It's such a pity this section isn't too popular
MithrandirMatheus
Citizen of Imladris

Postby GwenElf » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:47 pm

Yeah, not a lot of traffic in here these days. Hiya Mithrandir! :hihi: I'd never even heard of 'manhwa' until just a few weeks ago; don't know why it didn't occur to me that Korea might have graphic novels as well.

I haven't read many new manga lately, but I'm still watching anime when I have time. I finally saw FMA: Brotherhood, which I hear follows the manga much more closely than the first FMA did. It was EXCELLENT!

I need some new manga to read.. suggestions?
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby MithrandirMatheus » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:48 pm

Yeah, i have some amazing recommendations, but i'll go into details at another time!

In this order/priority:

Defense Devil (manhwa)
FullMetal Alchemist (manga)
Noblesse (manhwa)
Death Note
Naruto
Bleach
Ghost Hunt (anime (with OST by Toshio Masuda, classic Naruto's composer)) and Manga too!

you'll have to trust me on this!
MithrandirMatheus
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Hobbit_Guy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:09 pm

You might enjoy Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic. It's probably my favorite at the moment, as Naruto's quality has sadly declined. Naruto's earlier arcs were good, though; enough to warrant a recommend.

The Magi anime does diverge from the manga somewhat, especially with regard to one character (Sinbad) and the ending of the first season (since at that point they didn't have a 2nd planned, and felt the need to introduce a sort of climax/resolution), though the second was much more faithful. I do love the soundtrack, though.
Hobbit_Guy
Shield Bearer

Postby GwenElf » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:19 am

Some of my friends cosplay Magi. I read a scanlation of the first volume but it was such poor quality (the scans, not the art/story itself) that I didn't go any further. Once it's out here (or maybe it already is?) in print, I'll try again!

I tried reading Death Note once and got about 3 volumes in before I stopped. Too dark for me; Light creeped me out, which I suppose is the point. :P But I'll look into the others! Which reminds me, I need to get caught up on D.Gray-man.
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Hobbit_Guy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:48 am

There are ?seven? volumes of Magi currently out by the English publisher, which would be chapters 1-68. There are currently 22 volumes out in Japan (1 through 218), with the magazine chapters out through 234. It's quite good, though, even if it's been going for a while and is therefore pretty long.
Hobbit_Guy
Shield Bearer

Previous

Return to The Books (Other Authors)