HEEELLLLLOOOOOOOOOO the home alone thread

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Re: HEEELLLLLOOOOOOOOOO the home alone thread

Postby Ninui » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:46 pm

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Enjoy your day
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:41 am

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Witchwench » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:43 pm

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm in a coma

Image<Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:55 pm

Everyone to full to post here I'm guessing. Brought food.

https://youtu.be/RROEaCnYI-Q .... https://youtu.be/kg1EJjXtAlM
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:45 am

So very glad that rwhen is back and doin some better. My prayers that all the tests come back without any more issues to worry about! Love you my sweet sister!

Very glad to see so many had a great Thanksgiving this year! So many blessings to be thankful for.

basily one thank you! I know that for some we never get to meet face to face and yet become so important to each other. I do care very much for my friends here online! How is Mrs. basil doing?

Unfortunately my mother will not be getting any better. To recap for those who have not heard. My mother fell on Sept. 8th and broke her hip, the doctor did not have to do a replacement but put pins in and she was recovering very well. She was even up walking with a walker and back home. Then it was like someone flipped a switch and dementia worsened very fast. She could not stay home so my sister got her into a group home where they would take care of 3 ladies helping them with their treatments and rehab. Mom got worse and slapped one of the caretakers and would not keep her clothes on and started causing problems for the others. She had a bladder infection so ended up back in the hospital. When she started getting better my sister then placed her in a mental care facility where they work with dementia patients to help with meds and keep them stimulated with mental activities. I went down to spend the weekend with her on the 15th through the 17th of November. She smiled and talked with me. She was fairly confused and never acted like she knew for sure who I was. She has not remembered my sister since she got to this facility. My brother told me a few days later that mom knew I had been there and spent time with her. I had gotten a great picture of her smiling while I was there.But mom has continued on the downward slope. She is very out of it. She barely responds to anyone anymore. It breaks my heart. I will be going down and spending the weekend again on the 6th of Dec. through 8th. I have to see my pulmonologist on Friday the 6th early and get my tanks refilled as well before going down to see mom. I do not know what they have been doing for my mom but I have friends that work in that field and have given me some things to try and bring mom some comfort. So I am taking her favorite music to play for her and taking her for a spin in her wheel chair to get her out and about some from the trappings of her room. My heart is breaking over this but I know she would not want to live or be remembered this way. She wants to go home with my dad.

As to my health, I have gotten somewhat weaker then I have ever been. I can't walk very far or even shop at places like Costco without using a motorized cart. I am on oxygen 24/7 now instead of just when I am busy doing things that can make me winded. I know the doctor will want a full set of tests to see if my lungs are worse but with my not being allowed to exercise or raise my blood pressure or heart rate, there is not much I can do to make myself better. I agree with Rose that getting older is not a piece of cake or fun at all right now. I am going to start using the treadmill at home to walk very slowly but to walk so that I am moving some. I am not going to sit down and just become blah. I still want to go to events this coming year and though I might not move fast or far, I still want to live life!

I will try very hard to come back on the boards after next weekend more. I do love you all and miss you!!!

It is me and 5 guests right now.
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of Calma she passed away on 07/05/19 ! RIP dear lady! :rose:
Primula Baggins passed away on 02/27/19
Cockrobin has passed away on 02/18/2019 Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend!
oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Witchwench » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:00 am

Hellooooooo!!!!

Oh dear Vana, my heart breaks for you on several levels. You and your family is doing what you can for you mom, and honoring her as much as you can. At some point, if the dementia really gets bad, there are not a lot of options outside of a facility. All you can do, you are doing. Your own health is now a priority. Inside of you is that lovely young pixie that dreams about doing things and running free without the air tanks and shortness of breath...I don't have words of wisdom for you or advise on how to proceed, but I'm there with you in spirit my friend.

Getting older....sighhhhhh, when I first came to Torc, twenty years ago, lurking in the shadows, I was youthful, lithe and fit..sadly, now, after 20 years with a high stress, sedentary job, I find myself, soft, flabby and grey haired...I don't beat myself up too much about it, my vanity went on a vacation long ago and has never returned (which is probably a good thing all in all)..but I could do better about losing weight and exercising. I should commit to hitting the rowing machine..you Van can commit to the treadmill.

Have a great Monday all you fine Torcers.. :hug:

Me and a couple UGs

Image<Merry Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby Ladykat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:41 pm

Me and no guests right now.

HA! I don't even rate a guest! :P

Hello to everyone! :hihi: Things have been rather chaotic around here lately, but I'm trying to sort things out.

Off now to read all the posts I missed during my absence.

LK
Ladykat
Between the Worlds of Men and Make Believe I Can be Found

Postby rwhen » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:27 pm

HHEEEELLLLLOOOOOOO DA HHHOOOUUUUSSSEEEEE!!!!!!!

Here is hoping that you all had a safe and yummy holiday. I did work and I do get the extra pay for working that day, those who didn't work didn't get any pay, as usual for part time workers. I did my Thanksgiving on Saturday and my brother is having his today....it all turned out lovely and my freezer is full of leftovers now. :D I wish I could report that health was good, but I am still having bouts of the foggy head, trembles, sweats, dry mouth and complete exhaustion for a day or more after. I am managing to work and they are not giving me extra days (they finally hired two part timers to work to the first of the year), so at least that is good.

I go back to the doctor for further testing and a new medication on Thursday. I'll let ya know how it goes. But please, I am always grateful for any prayers or just good thoughts. :hug:

Witchie....I think many of us who came her twenty years ago as healthy forty something year olds are now dealing with some flab and sloth issues. So you are not alone. I have a photo that was taken my first year here on TORC and I have blondish hair, a trim 125, my own teeth and some laugh lines...now I am completely silver, plastic chompers, hang around 5-10 lbs more than I would like to be and there is a road map on my face that you could navigate by. :D So you are not alone. I have prayed that you have strength taking care of you family and father and doggies and also your website and taking in the horses. What you do with also working is amazing, so I am amazed at your efforts. OH and I ADORE your new and improved siggie photo. :D :D

Rosie...hope that the day after meal with the little one and her sweetie was really great. I loved your idea for changing it up a bit. After watching the weather lately I can see that so many of you TORCers are and have been in a horrid weather path with snow and freezing rain. Has it been bad for you? I plan on getting out cards in the next week or so, so be looking for that. If you need my new address...just let me know.

That goes for all of you. I know that I have Tooks, Rosie..basilly, Vanadarlin' and a few others, but if you want a card in the mail please let me know or if an ecard is good enough, be sure I have your email address please.

Vanadarlin', I am so sorry to read of your mothers decline. Scribbles went through this very thing with her mum. I keep you in my prayers. But I am now very concerned for you my dear. Please don't overdo it to exhaust yourself entirely. When do you get to the doctor??? I hope that is VERY soon. I worry for you up there. :hug: I will call you before Christmas, that is a promise. We are due for a good chat anyway. Love you my SSOTH.

Hey to you Ladykat...glad you checked in, but sorry it is so crazy for you now. You will sort it all out. Be sure to give me your email or address so I can get you a card this year!!! You can reach me at jaycee_davis@msn.com

Ninui...look at all those sweets!!!! STRUDEL .... love it. I hope you had a delicious time in Kent. :D Let me know if you want a card.

I'll have to trip on over to the TVM....what has happened to TOOKS???? Why have you forsaken us lady friend???? How was your Thanksgiving?? Did you spend it with the mom???

Okay...time for me to shuffle off for now. I am doing my best to get the energy to make it to the computer...so please hang in with me until I get this medical stuff figured out. I do care for you all.

:hihi: and :grouphug: as ever and for now....
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Yes Ayslhyn, I do still remember.

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:26 pm

eh. Me and ..... 0 guests. Not even a bot to keep me company. *sniff*

Hey all.... I brought cookies. Kolachy cookies. mmmmmm

:D

Christmas is coming!!!!

--------------------------------------
(for Calma)
---------------------------------
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby basil » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:19 pm

How is Mrs. basil doing?

Still in the care, rest, elderly, nursing, whatever home and doing well enough. The place performs its duties OK enough, but is understaffed and high turn-over, underpaid. If you've seen my occasional posts about this issue on FB, you know how I feel about it, no need to go on about it here.
I try to visit daily and in doing so see a wide variety of ailments and conditions of old and disabled people and the state of mind of the caregivers who work there, which is for the most part good.
No way have I experienced what you are going through with your mom and your own health, though our family went through a very short version with our dad. We care and in my experience, that helps.

As for the rest of you kiddoes, emulate Vana and give your shell something to do while it still can do for you. :)
Me? Getting to that point where I just want to last long enough to see all Cameron's Avatar sequels.

b
basil
Mariner

Postby RoseMorninStar » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:52 am

Oh my.. SIX guests here with me. In the middle of the night. What's up with that?

<3 Love the cinnamon rolls & kolachy! <3

Vana, that sounds rough. Have you had lung issues most of your life? Asthma & such? I hope there is improvement in your future. As for your Mom, that must be hard to take.

rhennie.. the same goes for you! I'm glad you had a nice Thanksgiving (my favorite part of the holiday is all of the yummy easy-meal leftovers!!) And I'm glad they got you some holiday help. I hope your appointment on Thursday goes well and they figure something out with your medication.

basilly.. I don't know how you do it. I recall stopping in by Hubby's parents when they were at the Senior home. It was tough. I feel like every year I'm busier & busier (but I get much less done!)

I've been trying to take better care of myself. Exercise. Trying to get my weight down and all the 'readings' in the right places. Getting old is tough enough.

Hellos to LadyKat, Witchy, Ninui, NL, Tooksey, Melwa, Scribbles, Wenchy and anyone else who might pop in. :hihi:

Here's Thanksgiving.. help yourself to leftovers.

Image Image
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:57 pm

HEELLLOOOO DA HHOOUUUSSEEEEE!!!

Hey two days in a row!!!

Thanks for posting Tookish, I felt I had stepped on some toes or some thang. ;) I can do that without even knowing, trust me. LOVE the looks of those cookies. YUM. I think might gain some virtual poundage here on there thread this holiday. Good thing virtual pounds are easier to lose.

basillllly. Dear friend, you should travel to the Left coast if the time comes when you have the time to do so. You know that we would pamper ya out here and show ya some real mountains. Just a thought. For now you are doing the good work and I know that Mrs b is happy that you are there. PS...the news today was fun...LOL.

Rosie...that is some spread!!! Looks fabulous. Brother Jim is stopping by today and bringing me a large plate of HIS Thanksgiving supper from last night. I didn't tell him how much I have in the freezer right now. You know how much he loves his own cooking. And rightfully so. I didn't know that you in-laws were in a senior home...I am assuming they are no longer there....sorry for Mr. R. And I think you look great just as you are. *nods wisely*

Okay...that's it for today, back to work tomorrow, but it is a Mid shift, hopefully I can make it to the computer again and also Dr's on Thursday. ARGH....

:hihi: and :grouphug: as ever.

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Witchwench » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:10 pm

Where is everyone today??

Mmm Rose..that looks great!

rwhen, you are a working machine, I just don't know how you do it with your health battle..but somehow you do!! I don't know that I have anything on you for taking on work..wow

Tooks..don't know if I have had those types of cookies before, they look delicious.

Ladykat, hope you chaos slows down to whirlwind...Holidays have a habit of rampaging through our lives.

:hug: my fellow torcers!!! Wanted to drop in and say howdy and wish everyone a fine Wednesday

Image<Merry Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:39 pm

I'm putting this here too. Just because. :D

Hi Witchy! Need more cookies? I can whip some up. ;)

Christmas is coming!!!!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:56 pm

I've never made kolachy.. but being of (partially) slavic (really Ruthenian/Rusyn) descent one would think they would be in my recipes along with all of the other ethnic foods. My grandmother always called the holiday rolls she made kolachy. They had either nut, poppyseed, prune, or apricot filling. Maybe this is the year!Image Since I'm watching the carbs/calories, I'm not sure how much baking I'll be doing this year. I generally do quite a lot.

rwhennie.. good luck with your Doc appt. And thank you for the comments, you are quite lovely too. :hug:

Yes, Mr. R's parents passed many years ago now. At least a dozen. His father had cancer and was pretty good until the very end, his mother lingered in depression 2-3 more years and that was very hard to take.

Have a good week everyone!! Hump day is over, on to the weekend!Image
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Ninui » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:26 pm

Sorry to hear that about Mr. R's parents, Rose. It was very similar with my aunt & uncle.

:hihi: to everyone
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:39 pm

oooooOOOO.

I make nut rolls some years, Rose. This year I'm sticking with just raisin cookies for Christmas. I loooove raisin cookies. :D

I have a lovely recipe for poppyseed cake that is super tasty too. :D

Christmas is coming!!!!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby Ninui » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:55 pm

Ninui and 6 guests. Awesome !! .. :hihi:
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:40 pm

HHEEEELLLLOOOOOOOO DA HHHHOOOOUUUSSSEEEEE!!!!

LOL at dancing santas / reindeer and singing camels. :D

Had all the "stuff" done today. Result is two new meds a shot and a follow up with the cardiologist. Still no concrete results but doc thinks it is tyroid while the cardiologist thinks it is heart related. I go back in ten days unless it gets worse.

Rosie...ooooooooooooo that looks so yummy. I made a Boston cream cake today......RIGHT...NOT!!! But I did buy one from the bakery and most of it will go in the freezer. Sorry about Mr. R's folks. I seem to recall you telling me of that. Are there any big plans for the holiday coming up with the kiddo and her sweetie? Hug a Pippin for me.

Ninui....I am on today with NO users and SEVEN UG's.......feels sorta quiet.

Ladykat, I found an address for you, but I also feel you moved in the last three years. Let me know via email.

Witchie...ah you are sweet as can be. I am heading over to FB right now to try and find you there. I remember you invited us to hit you up. You also get your ZZZZZ's and stay safe. EDITED: I just sent a friend request and a PM to you on FB. ;)

Tookish....gotta share those cookies when you make them. :D

:hihi: and :grouphug: as ever...

Work tomorrow night and then turn around for an opening on Saturday and it is CRAZY BUSY!!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby RoseMorninStar » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:23 pm

Ahrefs, myself, & 5 guests!

Tooksey, oooooOOOOooooh. I love poppyseed cake. I don't know that I've made one, at least not in recent years. What are raisin cookies like?

rhwennie.. I sure hope they get things straightened away for you. It's awful to be feeling off and out-of-sorts. A Boston cream cake should do the trick!! (om-nom-nom!) Consider Pippin hugged. ;)

We have no big plans for the holidays. Tonight is St. Nick's, which is a big deal 'round these parts. It must be a German tradition. It's not one I grew up with. It's the night everyone puts out their stockings to be filled. We've all been trying to watch the sweets, so their are mostly other types of goodies; nuts, sausage sticks, cheese, scarves, small packets of specialty coffee or cocoa, little packets of goldfish crackers, gloves, small flashlights, that sort of thing. This year I will have to haul the stockings to Little Rose & her sweetie. They only live 2 miles down the road. :D

:hihi: Helloooo! to all <3
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:00 am

Me and 3 guests. :thppt: to them!!!

Raisin-filled cookies:

Christmas is coming!!!!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby RoseMorninStar » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:46 pm

Ah.. raisin FILLED. That's interesting. I've never seen those before. Thanks for the enlightenment Tooks.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby basil » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:36 pm

Raisin' Sin Cookies. Enticing.

Life is good here today. Mid December, windows open, enjoying the springtime breezes. Mucking about the house.

Wishing a similar time for all.

b
basil
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:22 pm

Wet & drizzily here. At least it isn't COLD !!!
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:14 pm

basillly! So glad you got to enjoy a loverly day! Take 'em when you can get 'em.

It was 'nice' here today (relatively speaking). Not quite above freezing, but the sun was out and some of the snow melted. I was inside helping young one with holiday projects but I appreciate the sunshine none-the-less. Ninui.. I think we're supposed to get rainy/snowy muck on Monday. I guess we have to have days like that so we can enjoy the sunshine all the more when it appears. :)
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:48 pm

RoseMorninStar wrote:Ah.. raisin FILLED. That's interesting. I've never seen those before. Thanks for the enlightenment Tooks.

You never had raisin filled cookies????? :shock: :Q :shock: :Q :shock:

Me and my 2 guests are shocked!!!!

Christmas is coming!!!!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby rwhen » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:33 pm

HHEEEELLLLLLOOOOO DAAAAA HHHOOOUUUUSSEEEEEE!!!

Finally a day off and sadly, chores. Laundry, pick up one new med and vacuuming. Just ordered some Mexican from Grubhub....hopefully it arrives as promised. Work is nutty. I had a closing, followed by an opening and then another closing last night. I slept in this morning. Felt good. I am off tomorrow and I have a huge vat of pasta sauce planned as my freezer is empty of it. I am here with no users and three UG's....

Tookish...I have to admit that I also haven't had raisin stuffed cookies either. It is maybe a more regional thing??????

Rosie...glad you had a somewhat nice weather day...hope you enjoyed it, we all know the other stuff is on the way. Here we have a sunny day but lots of rain has been falling, happily the temps have stayed in the low forties so no freezing icy stuff. YUCK..

basssillllly one...glad you had a good day as well. I read that you wrote that you just wanted to be around to be able to see all of Cameron's Avatar movies. I am with you and what the hell is taking so long!!!!! :hug: to you and the Mrs. b...E. Miss ya.

Ninui....yeah we have the same weather, but you should have been seeing sun today. :D Hope it gave you a smile.

Where the heck is Quill? Ladykat? Witchie? HEY YOU!!!!

For now...

:hihi: and :grouphug: as ever!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Ninui » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:20 pm

rwhen: was not home that day. Visiting in another town ..... :)
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Witchwench » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:04 pm

Hey folks!!!

I have been a bit out of touch this week..have seasonal issues this time of year, where i tend to curl up and just read, avoid people, the internet ...everything. I wouldn't call it depressed, but just not motivated. But alas, I have to shake this off and get going, can't stay in this mode forever...so thought I'd stop by and say howdy.

rwhen, got the request my friend..anyone else want to be my friend on FB..please feel free to send a friend request Lynai Blodgett Torabpour (yeah, that's a moutful)

Rose, Tooks... those looks delicious!

Waves at Ninui, Van, Ladykat, basil, notlistening, helonia, sunsilver (how ya doing sweetie?) Melwa, Thor, Osaku, oh I just know I'm missing several that are still hanging out here..know that I love you too :D :D :hug:

Image<Merry Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:47 pm

Tookish...I have to admit that I also haven't had raisin stuffed cookies either. It is maybe a more regional thing??????

I cannot even imagine. Maybe it's an eastern US thing? Or maybe they came from Germany/Eastern Europe? Dunno. But you all are missing out.

:D

Christmas is coming!!!!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

PreviousNext

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby