What's On YOUR Kindle?

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

What's On YOUR Kindle?

Postby Old_Begonia » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:00 pm

I searched for 'Kindle' and did not find anything, so if this is redundant it's not my fault. :D

So, I got a free Kindle [a recognition award at work] and I LOVE it! It CAME with TWO dictionaries!

It was totally unexpected so I am very excited to have it. My first set of dowloads was some classic stuff like all of Jane Austen, some Dickens, a collection of Tennyson, a couple of different bibles, I have been slow to download stuff I have to pay for because I see myself getting WAYYYY carried away and losing track of my expenditures.

But it got me to wondering...what are other people downloading to their Kindles? Here is the opportunity to carry a virtual library with you everywhere...so I ask you:

What's on your Kindle?
"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen."

There is something profound about standing AT sea level.
Old_Begonia
"Old"...hmpf, if they only knew...

Postby oldtoby » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:33 pm

E books?...... :puke:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Amrunelen » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:05 pm

That's a pretty great recognition award. :D Congrats!

I must admit, my opinion of E-books is somewhat similar to Toby's. ;) I love paper and print too much to fall into the nook/kindle/e-reader trend.

My uncle got my grandmother one for Christmas though and she's been quite enjoying it.
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:16 am

Sorry hon, I don't have a Kindle.
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of Calma she passed away on 07/05/19 ! RIP dear lady! :rose:
Primula Baggins passed away on 02/27/19
Cockrobin has passed away on 02/18/2019 Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend!
oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:23 am

I don't have one, but my sister got a NOOK for Christmas, and I guess it comes with a bunch of classics. She actually hasn't bought a book yet.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby PatriotBlade » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:28 am

What Kindle? I don't have one, but I WANT one!
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Old_Begonia » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:48 am

I had looked at them a bit when they first came on the scene but thought I'd wait until the formats were more universal. Buuut...being GIVEN one sort of changed that. :D

The features I really appreciate about the e-book format come down to the two I mentioned in my opening post: the dictionaries and the portability. I like that I can be reading along and, finding a word I don't recognize, toggle over to The Oxford Englsh Dictionary or The Oxford American English Dictionary and look it up. That is BOMB in my world.

Also, this one has wi-fi capabilities. I could be posting this from my Kindle. The keyboard is a little inconvenient, but in a pinch does, and a lot cheaper, even if I had to buy it myself, than an ipad, &c. I can check e if I need to from any wi-fi hotspot. Oh, and of course, download books from Amazon.

I would imagine this would be a tremendous asset in college. Even if the textbooks are not available for the Kindle, I would imagine most reference works would be. Again, it's like having a library in my hand. Love it.
"And it is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance else that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen."

There is something profound about standing AT sea level.
Old_Begonia
"Old"...hmpf, if they only knew...

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:54 pm

Sounds like the gift that keeps on giving!! :hug:

I personally don't have a use for a Kindle or Ipad or anything like one. Oh well someday I might. You just never know.
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of Calma she passed away on 07/05/19 ! RIP dear lady! :rose:
Primula Baggins passed away on 02/27/19
Cockrobin has passed away on 02/18/2019 Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend!
oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Frelga » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:59 pm

My interest in the Kindle went up dramatically when I realized I could get to my email on one. What kind of browser does it use?

And no, I don't have one at the moment. :D

Vana, I bet it's the kind of thing you find lots of use for once you have it. ;)
Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.
Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:34 pm

In general, I don't like the idea of e-books. I love the smell and texture of books too much. :)

However, I would love to have one for when I travel. It's difficult carrying a bunch of books around! :P
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:05 am

I am dithering about buying an e-book reader.

The pros are that I can get just about ANYTHING to download, most of what I want would be free or less than 9.99, and on trips, etc., I can take more than a few books.

The cons are that I like page turning, bookmark-placing, going to the library, and I can always find another use for $200.00 or so for the model I want.

:? :? :? :? :? :pull: :pull: :bookworm: :doh:
portia
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:13 am

I don't understand the appeal of the things really. Ok, so one can have hundreds of books...but even so you (the generic you :wink: ) can only read one book at a time. And yeah i suppose one can read a chaper of one book, then switch to read a chapter of another and so on, but that seems kinda... distracting anall, but maybe thats just cause I like doing one thing to completion before starting another.

I reckon its all good in Star Trek...but otherwise... :wink:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby SilverScribe » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:45 am

Evenstar_of_Imladris wrote:However, I would love to have one for when I travel. It's difficult carrying a bunch of books around! :P

I don't have an e-book reader yet either, but I agree with Eve's reasoning when it comes to travelling. I read at a tremendous rate and can devour a 2-3 inch thick book in a few days, which means on a two week vacation I either have to pack a ton o' books (which, when you fly and are under a weight restriction for luggage is a pain), or I have to go book hungry for the last week of my holiday. A Kindle (or equivalent) would be ever so handy for me for travelling.

Add the wi-fi capability for keeping up on e-mail or browsing the Internet and I want one so bad I can taste it. However, I doubt I'll have the time (or spare cash) to pick one up before our upcoming holiday. :( But it's going to be top of my wish list when we get home! I have a few dollars left over from my tax return that I might use to treat myself. ;)

At the end of the day though, I love paper books far too much to give up on them as my usual mode of reading while at home. So the bookstores are still going to be making money off of me for a loooong time to come. ;)

You know, I'm thinking a Kindle might be good for my mom. Can you adjust the font sizes? A large font would really help her out . . .

Hmmmm . . . is thinking 'Christmas present' . . . ;)

:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby GwenElf » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:42 pm

I've never seen/used a Kindle in RL, but my mom and I tried out a Nook at B&N a few months ago (free coffee coupon if you tried it--why not??). I'm more of a real books type person, but I can definitely see the benefits of having an e-reader. The Nook (and probably the Kindle, too) holds tons of books, has internet access, a built-in dictionary so you can look up words as you read, note-taking capabilities (although these have a lot farther to go before they'd be practical for my note-taking needs :P), etc.

And Scribbles, the Nook at least lets you adjust font size, colour, screen brightness, etc.

I know Arwenelf has an e-reader; I'll see if I can get her opinion on it.
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby FFerret » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:56 am

I bought my Kindle in August as a Christmas present from the famly for me. Yes, I buy for them--that way they KNOW mom is happy :) Made it to the first weeks of December, opened the gift up early and told everyone how much I loved it and what a great idea it was....

I opened it up and download all Jane Austen;s stuff on her birthday because it was a free promotion (later learned you can get Austen free anyday). I read EMMA immediately and loved it. Hard to get into at first. She's not very likeable in the beginning, but I got caught up into Emma's world pretty quickly.

Mansfield Park I"m maybe a third into. Don't see me returning any time soon.

Really didn't pick up my Kindle (we call him Ken Doll here. We're crazy.) again until last Saturday when I had to have Micheal Moorcock's MODERN TIMES 2.0 immediately. Finished it over night. Kindle's is awesome for anything immediate.

Having poor vision the ebook is a downright Godsend. I can't rave enough over how wonderful large text is. Geroge R R Martin's DANCE WITH DRAGONS is coming out this summer, and I've been number one in line forever for it at the library, but since I hate holding a huge book with small print and a magnifying glass I'm looking forward to putting it on my Kindle instead.

Navigating is kind of a PITA. That's why I haven't downloaded the Bible. I'm sure there's a way, an easy way, to get to certain pages but it's not intuitive enough (or I"m not) to figure out w/ out breaking down and reading the instruction manual. That reminds me--the manual that comes with it is kind of a joke. Not a lot of instruction there.... You have to look online.

And that concludes my Kindle rant for the day :)
FFerret
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:52 pm

I am still thinking about it.

But, so far, the library has been able to get what I want, and I do not need Large Print yet. And, something always comes up to prevent me from having that extra $250 for the Nook Color.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby PatriotBlade » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:50 am

FFerret wrote:I opened it up and download all Jane Austen;s stuff on her birthday because it was a free promotion (later learned you can get Austen free anyday). I read EMMA immediately and loved it. Hard to get into at first. She's not very likeable in the beginning, but I got caught up into Emma's world pretty quickly.

Mansfield Park I"m maybe a third into. Don't see me returning any time soon.

LOVE Jane Austen!

Mansfield Park is my third favorite, but I couldn't get into Emma or Northanger Abby the first time I tried to read them. I have since manged to get through NorAb, and so far it is my least favorite (though I have seen a very good film adaptation that I thourally enjoyed). I will probably try Emma again soon, then that will leave Persuasion, and I will have read all the Austen books (I think).

Back on true topic; still no kendle for me, though I want one very badly.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby Martin the Warrior » Mon May 02, 2011 6:06 am

I looked at the kindle at a nearby bookstore, I love it, after I make my first million I'll finally be able to buy one! Until that day comes (or a cheaper edition) I guess I'll have to read e-books on my computer via google and the new e-book checkout from my library.
Martin the Warrior
Rider of the Mark

Postby wilko185 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:46 am

This thread is timely, I've ordered a Kindle, still waiting for it to arrive :). The bona fide book-reading experience has to be with a real book, but I can see plenty of occasions when I'd be happy with an electronic text, eg I spend a lot of time on public transport. It should be the content that really matters, not the wrapping. The Kindle seems to be very easy on the eye, quite lightweight, good battery life, and for an exorbitant price you can get a nice leather case which makes it feel less like a piece of plastic tech and more like a book.

Frelga wrote:My interest in the Kindle went up dramatically when I realized I could get to my email on one. What kind of browser does it use?

I've read a review of the Kindle saying it's surprising that they have not included an actual email client (UK version, don't know if the US one differs), though webmail must be accessible through its browser. The browser's based on webkit (like Apple's Safari), and is still one of the Kindle's "experimental" features, which probably translates as: please don't complain too much about the glitches.
wilko185
Mariner

Postby Frelga » Wed May 04, 2011 10:50 am

wilko185 wrote:I've read a review of the Kindle saying it's surprising that they have not included an actual email client (UK version, don't know if the US one differs), though webmail must be accessible through its browser. The browser's based on webkit (like Apple's Safari), and is still one of the Kindle's "experimental" features, which probably translates as: please don't complain too much about the glitches.

I read up on that a bit. Apparently it does best with mobile versions of web sites. More to the point for my purpose, I was looking for 3G Kindle as I don't have Wi-Fi at work or at home (although that last is fixable). It looks like the free 3G is only free to download books and other use incurs charges. Which makes sense, I suppose, but it does take away the incentive for me to get one as a lightweight email client that's bigger than a smartphone.

OTOH, I held the thing at the store the other day and it is seductive!

On the third hand, I dislike e-books because they don't create a trail of cheap or free second-hand books for others to enjoy.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Stormeagle » Thu May 05, 2011 2:04 am

I don't have a Kindle, but I do use the Kindle app on my iPad and, much less often, on my iPhone.

The first thing I bought was Terry Pratchett's I Shall Wear Midnight, because it was significantly cheaper on Kindle than it was in hardback.

The second thing I read on Kindle, though it was free, due to being out of copyright, was The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

More recently, I have bought 10 volumes of the Dresden Files series, by Jim Butcher, which I thouroghly recommend - I read the entire series back-to-back in less than a month. (I bought the first one in hardcopy, because I had a gift card for a bookshop, and 2 others my flatmate already had).
Stormeagle
Citizen of Imladris

Postby heliona » Thu May 05, 2011 8:45 am

wilko185 wrote:This thread is timely, I've ordered a Kindle, still waiting for it to arrive :).

It arrived this morning, so guess who is going to be playing with it all evening? ;) :D
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief! & My Instagram account

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby MerriadocBrandybuck » Fri May 06, 2011 10:01 am

oldtoby wrote:I don't understand the appeal of the things really. Ok, so one can have hundreds of books...but even so you (the generic you :wink: ) can only read one book at a time. And yeah i suppose one can read a chaper of one book, then switch to read a chapter of another and so on, but that seems kinda... distracting anall, but maybe thats just cause I like doing one thing to completion before starting another.

I reckon its all good in Star Trek...but otherwise... :wink:

uh, the ebooks are cheaper, don't waste paper....

I have a NOOK Color, not a Kindle, but they're similar.

I buy a book on the Nook, my wife has the Nook app for her IPad. We can both read the same book at the same time, and only have to buy it once.

I'm currently reading The Hobbit
MerriadocBrandybuck
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Sun May 08, 2011 7:50 am

Guess what I got for Mother's Day? :Q

Really did not expect that.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby erinhue » Sun May 08, 2011 2:14 pm

Dan keeps saying I should get one. I suppose that means he wants one but now I'm reading about'em it sounds like a cool thing to have.
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby erinhue » Sun May 08, 2011 2:15 pm

Way cool surprise giftie there, Frelga darlin'. Happy Mother's Day. :rose:
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Frelga » Sun May 08, 2011 3:03 pm

Thanks, Hue. :hug:

It's just such an insanely COOL thing. And I just downloaded Twenty Years Later by Dumas, for free, in a minute, just because I happened to think about it.

Like giving a monkey keys to the banana plantation, to use Pratchett's phrase.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Dubatuluk » Mon May 09, 2011 3:46 pm

Let me get this straight Begonia, it COMES with TWO DICTIONARIES?? OUT OF THE BOX??? NO extra cash required?

*droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooolll...*

:D

I love physical books as much as everyone here, but I really sorely need to be able NOT to have to pack suitcases full of reference books when I write at, say, the coffee shop. Sure I could go to the library, but surprisingly enough it's more distracting to write at the library than the coffee shop because it's full of people trying to be quiet who are typing furiously on keyboards (which is what most people use the library for now anyway, computers) and those who don't know how to be quiet even to breath. Believe it or not, there's more noise there than at the coffee shop (okay, perhaps not, but the noise at the coffee shop turns into white noise :P ) Anyway, I've gone waaaaaaay off the subject here, but I've been wanting a Kindle forever now and I think I'm finally going to give myself one for my birthday this summer. :D

As to what I'll put on it, well, since it comes with dictionaries (I learnded something new today!) it'll be everything by Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman and Juliet Marillier as well as several different sets of holy scriptures from around the world. AND, maybe, just maybe I'll be able to find that book I read in middle school which I can't remember the title, author or ISBN to but I remember what the cover looked like. :P :D
Dubatuluk
Ranger of the North

Postby wilko185 » Thu May 12, 2011 1:26 pm

heliona wrote:
wilko185 wrote:This thread is timely, I've ordered a Kindle, still waiting for it to arrive :).

It arrived this morning, so guess who is going to be playing with it all evening? ;) :D

Hah, I have spent more time playing with it, than actually reading, but have found it really quite natural now that I've got into a book. I get an odd moment if there is a bit of dust on the screen, when I feel I have to brush it off before I can "turn the page", but of course it will still be there :D. The screen is (or feels) smaller than a paperback page, but paging forward is very easy. I'm halfway through a sci-fi book, which seems to fit the medium. I sometimes have to read long pdfs, and the Kindle is definitely better than my laptop for that.

What's On YOUR Kindle?

Project Gutenberg's magic catalog. Enough free books to keep you occupied for a lifetime or two.
wilko185
Mariner

Postby portia » Thu May 12, 2011 2:32 pm

I decided to buy a nook color and I have having an infuriating time with it.
I suspect that of the problem is my wifi at home. So I am dealing with Verizon on that.

But, I went to McDonald's to use their wifi, and had to go through the routine for set up twice before it would work. Then I chose some 5-6 books. and waited about 15 minutes so they could load. They didn't. 9 things I had not ordered were in "my library" instead.

At home, I connected the nook to my computer by USB cable, and it looked like I had successfully order another book, but nothing I could do would make it download.

I haven't much hope for the wifi. If it will not work, the nook goes back.

Later:

I decided to see if I could get my wifi to work. That was sloooww and frustrating (about 2 hours), but it may have worked. The nook tells me it is downloading something I want.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.
portia
Ringbearer

Next

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby