The 5th Course, The Foodies Thread

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

The 5th Course, The Foodies Thread

Postby rwhen » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:16 pm

Here is where we talk all things food.

Who is going to call "shotgun"?

Bon Appitit!!
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:20 pm

ME! ME!! :yippie:

FOOD! Image
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Cute_and_CuddlyRaccoons » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:52 pm

*wanders in*

sniff...sniff...

MMmmmm. Smells good in here.

*makes a nice snuggly den in the pantry*
Cute_and_CuddlyRaccoons
Rider of the Mark

Postby Morwenna » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:58 pm

You can tell how popular the subject is. We're on the 5th round already! :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Calma » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:04 pm

Morwenna wrote:You can tell how popular the subject is. We're on the 5th round already! :)

Well, that's because food is vital to our life support systems. :wink:

Had a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich for dinner.
Major yum. :D:D:D
Image HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!!

Join the fun InThe TVM

ImageCAT LOVERS GUILD :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!
:D Wins: 89
:x Losses: 73

Fair winds and following seas.....Toby.

:rose: Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan... toby

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby Gollum Girl » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:50 pm

A simple bowl of macaroni and cheese. :D :D

Also....
SHOTGUN!!!
Gollum Girl
Shield Bearer

Postby Morwenna » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:26 pm

:?

Hubby made the stuffed cabbage rolls and I ate 3 of them! Packed 2 for tomorrow's lunch. And this time I'm going to remember that frittata!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:52 pm

Over the last three days I have been developing a craving for simple mac and cheese. It is most certainly not on my diet, but. . . .
portia
Ringbearer

Postby JudyA » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:52 am

Far out... when did we finish up the last thread? Seemed to happen just like that. :shock:

So, am bursting at the seams after being sous chef to the Little Fairy as she cooked dinner.

We flattened and tenderised half a chicken breast to about the size of a dinner plate, then marinated that in a mix of honey, soy sauce and tomato sauce. We scooped out the innards of tomatoes, cooked then mashed some potatoes and filled the tomatoes with that. We sprinkled cheese of top and baked them for 20 minutes. We also made a salad with the addition of some hard-boiled eggs and homemade croutons.

Dessert was something we saw on a TV show last week: poached pears with the cores removed with a melon baller and stuffed with a mix of melted chocolate, butter, prunes marinated in a little sherry and roasted, chopped almonds. you place those on a disc of puff pastry and bake them for about 12 minutes, then take them out, dust them with icing sugar and bake them for another couple of minutes so they go all glossy.
We ate them with ice cream and/or cream. Serious yum... and I am very, very full :shock:
JudyA
Mariner

Postby hamlet » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:34 am

Beef and barley stew last night. Even though I forgot to drop in a bay leaf, it turned out to be extremely good. Newcastle Ale is a very nice addition to it I'll say. Only problem is that now my entire house smells of stew and will for the next day or two.

Tonight, taking parents out to supper at some local eatery since everybody's getting stressed out. My way of trying to make things easier and more pleasant for family. Also tonight, have to start gethering ingredients for saurbraten since it takes three full days to marinate. Figure I'll get it going tomorrow night and then finish it up on Saturday evening for dinner. Going with German style red cabbage, spatzel, and something green. Maybe some simple steamed broccalli.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:06 am

YAY....everyone turned up. :D

Including Louie *leaves out some shiney objects for nesting and some sweets for tummy filling*

ROSE you made it first to the thread!! :D

JudyA, so I love your idea, always looking for something new to do with a chicken breast....after marinating you chopped it up and added it to the mashed taters then stuffed it in a tomato? Or was the chicken cooked another way and the tomato got stuffed with the potato? :D Sounds lovely and very cool that your little one is cooking.

hamlet, good luck with your saurbraten. Also sorry that your parents are so stressed out right now. Hope all is well. I use an air freshener just to get the cooking smells out of my living room. My unit is so small that it would forever smell if I didn't.

Morwenna, I love stuffed cabbage rolls. My mother called them halupke. Mine don't taste as good as hers did...or at least that is my memory, but they are a "comfort" item for me.

portia...nothing wrong with a tad bit of anything..so go for the mac and cheese and enjoy.

Calma, I really like a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich. YUM indeed.

Last night I ended up making tacos and used up the last of my shells and mix. They came out very good and I have about half the meat left over for something....I like putting it on a baked potato. So that is what I will probably have tonight.

Bon Appitit!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby hamlet » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:10 am

Rwhen, I use an air freshener, too. It's just this time, it's quite a persistent aroma. A nice aroma . . . but I'd rather my house not smell like food I made on Monday when it's Thursday.

Parents are stressed because my mom's company of 30+ years got taken over by the evil super-corporation that seems intent on killing its employees and my fathers' . . . well . . . he's just a jerk. So, I figure, a night away from the house and eating a nice meal that they didn't have to cook or pay for would be a nice thing.

And on the subject of stuffed cabbage rolls . . . oh yeah . . . now you've got my brain cooking in its own juices. Maybe it's time to make another batch of glumpkies for the family.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:17 am

JudyA, that dinner looks complicated and Delicious!! You have my admiration!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:51 am

Mmmmm...sauerbraten. Haven't had that in ages.

Come on, kiddies, pet the nice mechanical vampire reindeer. We won't bite...much...hahahahahooo!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby JudyA » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:08 pm

Rwhen: What we did with the chicken breast was put it in a plastic bag then belt it with a rolling pin until it was about half an inch thick all over. It had flattened out to become, as I say, about the size of a small dinner plate. We put slightly warmed honey, soy sauce and tomato sauce on a flat plate, mixed it together then put the chicken breast on that, turned it over so it had marinade on both sides, then covered it with plastic wrap for about half an hour. We cooked it in a hot pan with olive oil for a few minutes each side, moving it around in the pan to make sure all the marinade cooked on to the chicken.

The tomatoes were separate: sliced off the tops, scooped out the seeds etc and filled the tomatoes with freshly made mashed potato. We sprinkled them with cheese and baked them for about 20 minutes in a moderate oven.
JudyA
Mariner

Postby RoseMorninStar » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:37 pm

Whoo.. the gourmet cooks are all over the place in here!

rwhennie.. National taco day is today.. Tues. Oct. 4th (I believe) so.. enjoy those taco's!

Morwenna.. as a gift rwhen bought me a tenderizer that works wonders for flattening out a chicken breast. Deni meat tenderizer I use it all of the time. A wonderful tool and much better than the messy mallet.

Hamlet.. does your sauerbraten recipe call for ginger snaps? That is commonly used in the German recipes and restaurants around here.. both to flavor the sauerbraten and to thicken it up.

Judy.. WOW.. that sounds like quite to gourmet meal!

I think most people crave Mac 'n' cheese from time to time. I am not a big fan of macaroni & cheese, but hubby & daughter are. Waaaaaaaay back when I was in school in Indiana they made a home-made mac 'n' cheese in the cafeteria that was to die for. I have tried to make some like that but I have never gotten even close.

*Rosie peeks in the pantry.. "Has there been a raccoon in here?"*
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby JudyA » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:11 am

Rose, it was pretty full-on, I admit, but the Little Fairy was really keen. She was the "cook" for the event - I was just her second pair of hands ;)

Poppet is doing dinner tonight (it's the holidays, so they're having a go). She's already made a chocolate cake, which is cooling, and is now starting on the risotto. She wasn't thinking about gourmet mega-recipes - she just wanted to have a crack in the kitchen by herself. And everyone should know how to cook a good risotto :D
JudyA
Mariner

Postby hamlet » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:41 am

RoseMorninStar wrote:Hamlet.. does your sauerbraten recipe call for ginger snaps? That is commonly used in the German recipes and restaurants around here.. both to flavor the sauerbraten and to thicken it up.

It does call for ginger snaps, and I've honestly been tempted (for about thirty seconds) to make my own rather than go for store bought variety. But then I regained my sanity.

And I ain't gourmet. I'm just a cook that can make food that won't kill or offend most people. Very homey style cooking. I learned from somebody who learned in the 50's, and just never really migrated past that. Though I have a sense of exploration and adventure that frightens my family at times. When I ask them if I can try an experiment on them, there's mixed looks of interest and terror. I have yet to inform them about the Hare Krishna Vegetarian cookbook I have and am dying to get into, or the Szechuan cookbook for that matter. Not quite sure how they'd take it.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:08 am

Hello Foodies.

JudyA, thank you - I will try that in some variation, I am interested to do the stuffed tomato with the mashed taters and cheese. Enjoy the risotto and the holiday.

Rose, I had forgotten that I sent that to you. But I can't live without it, I use it to tenderized most all my meats, really happy that you are using it too. I didn't know that yesterday was national taco day!!!

Hey Morwenna, cabbage rolls last night?

hamlet, good thinking on not making your own ginger snaps...I am not a cookie maker or dessert maker at all. I would love to learn more on Szechuan cooking, they use a ton of peppers in their stuff.

Last night I used the leftover taco beef and did a stuffed baked potato, stuffed it with cheese, scallions, the meat, a dab of sour cream and a slice of avocado on the top. It was delish. I also hit the bargain meat bin again and came up a winner with 7 short ribs, two rib eye steaks, thick cut pork chops and not in the bargain bin I got four split ham shanks and a pork loin.

The good thing was that all the bargain bin meats don't expire until tomorrow and they were tucked safely in the freezer yesterday. $50 for the whole thing (which included milk and butter). Not too shabby.

So tonight is the pork loin roasted with root veggies.

Bon Appitit!!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby hamlet » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:35 am

rwhen wrote:So tonight is the pork loin roasted with root veggies.

Bon Appitit!!

Oh, I'm jealous. That sounds particularly yummy.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:49 pm

Wow!!! A new foodie thread already!!! :yippie:

Yes we all love food!!! :P

We had veggie wraps last night for a late dinner but it was very good!!!!!
Avocado, tomatoes, cheese and leaf lettuce on a heated flour tortilla.

Tonight we are going to have shrimp fried rice!! I cant wait!! I have craved it for about a week now. :D
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby heliona » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:19 pm

This evening I improvised and we had a pasta bake.

I fried a chopped red onion, two leeks, two celery stalks, three cloves of garlic, diced chicken, smoked ham, orange pepper and mushrooms seasoned with thyme, black pepper and salt in my large cast-iron casserole dish. Then I added cooked pasta and stirred them all together. Lasanga-style white sauce was added to that and it was topped with grated cheddar and Pecorino Romano cheese and put in the oven for 20 minutes.

It came out more tasty than I anticipated, actually. Sometimes the white sauce can be a bit bland, but I guess I got the seasoning right this time. :D
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Gollum Girl » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:08 pm

.....Blah. :P

I ate the same two things today. Chicken Nuggets and ice cream for lunch, and somehow I ended up at a fast food restaurant and got chicken and a shake, which is pretty much melted ice cream. At least I got a a healthy amount of exercise today. Two hours of swimming and a walk. :D
Gollum Girl
Shield Bearer

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:19 pm

Gollum Girl wrote:.....Blah. :P

I ate the same two things today. Chicken Nuggets and ice cream for lunch, and somehow I ended up at a fast food restaurant and got chicken and a shake, which is pretty much melted ice cream. At least I got a a healthy amount of exercise today. Two hours of swimming and a walk. :D

A milkshake sounds pretty delicious after you said that actually.

Now I am going to want one for days :D
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:24 pm

Oh yeah, and cabbage rolls again tonight. :)

Hamlet, you may call your cooking homey, but if so your home is/was far more elegant than mine! :D As good a cook as hubby is, and as my mother was, I consider your meals downright exotic! But that's a GOOD thing!

And I took the last piece of frittata to work today.

I have a bunch of apples and I'm trying to get up the energy to go make a pie. I really owe it to hubby to make one because he loves pie and tomorrow's our 21st wedding anniversary and we can't afford to go out to dinner this week.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:42 pm

Morwenna, Happy Anniversary!

We didn't go out this year on our anniversary either.. but I did grilled some steak and made a hot bacon-spinach salad, baked potatoes.. along with a few other things & a nice bottle of wine. I served it with candles out on the deck after dark. It was the last nice warm evening we had.

heliona, your dish sounds tasty. I'm not usually a big fan of white pasta sauce, but your's almost sounds like it was a fancy macaroni & cheese type dish. In any case, it sounds yummy.

rwhennie.. sounds like you made a good haul at the grocery store. I don't often find those kind of bargains, but my mother says her grocery store does that too. In any case.. you inspired me to make taco's tonight! :D YUM. With some home made pico de gallo.

RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby JudyA » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:33 am

Happy anniversary, Morwenna! Hope it's a great day. I also have a truckload of apples at the moment - pie, hmmm... or perhaps baked apples? Hmmm...

Heliona, your improvised casserole sounds yummy. And btw for those who usually don't like a white sauce with things, you can make it with stock instead of water and it's very tasty :)

It's Thursday, so Mr JudyA is cooking tonight - and beef casserole is in the oven... :D Even better, we have more than half of Poppet's chocolate cake left over to eat for dessert :thumbsup:
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:58 am

Hubby says he has enough for us to go out to dinner, so he's paying. ;) So far the choices look like seafood, Thai, or Mexican (the latter two in our neighborhood). He's picking me up from work today. (My money is all earmarked for bills!)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby hamlet » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:59 am

Happy Anniversary! And congratulations on 21 years, really.

And my foods not quite exotic . . . except to a few people I know who never quite ventured outside of meat and potatoes land.

Today, I've been hunting down recipes for Rotkhol (braised red cabbage) for Saturday. Going to make it Friday night and subject the family to it the next day.

Browned up the roast (did you know that 4 pounds of beef is freakin' HUGE!?!?! :shock: ) and dropped it in the marinade, and now my entire house and myself smells like vinegar and probably will for days. Not a bad smell, just pervasive.

Have decided that spatzel will be served fried in some bacon grease (with the bacon itself of course) and some sauteed onions as well.

Have been thinking about vegetables to go with all this, and have kind of hit on the thought of caulliflower braised with capers and breadcrumbs, but that's not precisely German now is it? I want something green, but I'm just not sure what. Have to do a little research.

Tonight will be a salad most like. Arugula, almonds, and craisins with a fig and balsamic dressing. Unless I get really fed up and take myself out to the local eatery or just reheat some stew.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:03 am

Happy anniversary on your 21st, Morwenna. Enjoy the celebration supper out. :D

heliona, I think all the ingredients that you listed would make a lovely pasta bake, glad it turn out for you.

JudyA, enjoy the beef supper that hubby is cooking for you and the last of the chocolate cake. :D

Rose...tacos and fresh pico!! YUM. How did they come out for you?

Vanadarlin', hope you get that shrimp fried rice tonight, you have been patient. :D

Hey Lewie and Gollum Girl. :hihi:

I ended up making Cuban style pork loin roast....it is stuffed with garlic and drenched in lemon juice then the outside is packed with salt, pepper and oregano....with all that, it is under the broiler until well browned on all sides, then 20 minutes at regular temp and done. I made Cuban fried taters to go with....same ingredients as for the roast. SO GOOD. The pork was fork tender and so tangy and yummy. I have leftovers for tonight.

Bon Appitit!!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Next

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby