The 5th Course, The Foodies Thread

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Postby hamlet » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:00 am

Thanks, Judy, but I doubt it'd do any good.

Last night, felt slightly better so ate leftover beef and barley stew. Tasted real good.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:04 am

hamlet, glad you got something down and may small improvements lead up to you feeling your old self again!!

JudyA, good luck with the cake! I know it will be lovely and the Wee Fairy will love it. Wish her a happy birthday from all of us.

Morwenna!! SCORE!! That is nice of your company to do. It would seem to spur people into doing extra chores around the office. Maybe. ;)

Last night it was beans and ham with some corn bread. The chop wasn't thawed enough to cook. So that is tonight and I am looking forward to Hawaiian pork chops.

Bon Appitit!!
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Yes Ayslhyn, I do still remember.

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Morwenna » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:34 am

I got one of those chits once for finding a missing chart that had legal issues connected with it. Several of us have had chits for extra-mile work of various sorts. But lately they haven't shown up very often, at least I haven't seen them. Nice to know that it's still going on. :)

Last night hubby made a skillet supper with actual fresh chicken, with veggies and cream soup. I have the leftovers for lunch, big surprise. :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:05 am

Last night was Chili with cheese. We were very tired and that was the easiest thing to make and we both love Chili anyways. :P

The night before was fresh veggie wraps with grilled chicken and avocados.

Tonight I think we will have burgers on the grill. I hope at least!!! I am feeling really hungry today!!! Not sure why!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of Borin who passed away in March 2020 I believe
Calma she passed away on 07/05/19 ! RIP dear lady! :rose:
Primula Baggins passed away on 02/27/19
Cockrobin has passed away on 02/18/2019 Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend!
oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my beloved mother who has joined my daddy with Jesus. :rose: 1/11/20 For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you mom and daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rwhen » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:38 pm

Grilled burgers sounds great to me, Vanadarlin'. Enjoy.:D

I am getting hungry as the day wears on...looking forward to my pork loin chop and some perfumed rice tonight. :D

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Morwenna » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:58 am

Last night: pasta (vermicelli, I think) with basil pesto sauce. :love::love::love: Leftovers for lunch today. :heart:
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:58 am

I love pesto as a sauce for pasta!! YUM

So I tenderized my two pork loin chops (bone in) and crusted them with bread crumbs, then lightly sauted them before adding the fruit, butter, wine and then into the oven for a half hour. Came out great. Perfumed the rice with some nutmeg and allspice.

Tonight I have a half steak out and I am thinking Philly cheese steak!!

Bon Appitit!!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Morwenna » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:25 am

Rwhen, those chops sound wooonderful! :love: So does the rice. :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:06 pm

Yummmmm, those chops sound speccy. :heart:

Cake was a big success - a marble cake with pink butter icing and five flowers made from different types and colours of sweets - with a thin slice of the tail of a jelly snake as each flower stem. Then random chocolate smarties added for the fun of it. Pity I'm too techno-dense to show you all a photo... :P

Tonight both the girls are having sleepovers, so Mr JudyA and I are planning a quiet night in - he's cooking me dinner (lamb, on the BBQ) and we might go for a stroll later, rent a DVD or go to the movies. All very laid back and civilised :)
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:36 am

BBQ lamb... mmmm :heart: That's one way I've never had it! Roasted, grilled, broiled, and in pie and in moussaka and gyros, but never BBQ.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:18 pm

*Following myself* :oops:

It's amazing how different mates can be. We decided on a simple supper of hot dogs on bread (rye bread--we almost never buy hot dog buns). So hubby is actually having kielbasa links on rye with mustard, dill relish, sort-of-hot pepper relish, and sauerkraut. I'm having plain hot dogs on rye, no condiments. :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:53 am

Yup, chalk and cheese here, too. Tonight Mr JudyA had sauteed mushrooms with orange and ginger dressing and chopped coriander, plus a bowl of olives. I had chopped, fresh fruit - watermelon, kiwi fruit, pear and passionfruit - topped with a big blob of natural yoghurt. And now that I'm telling you about it, I'm thinking, "Why didn't I drizzle some honey on top???" But it was yummy... (and btw I LOVE lamb, too :D )

Tonight I cooked dinner for our evening service at church - 50 people, more or less. I made three big impossible quiches (you mix up eggs, flour, milk, cream and melted butter into a batter and when it cooks it makes its own kind of crust, hence the term "impossible") and sprinkled different things onto them all. One was chicken and corn with leek, another was ham, tomato, capsicum and onion, and the third was vegetarian (asparagus, zucchini, capsicum and onion). Topped each one with cheese and baked them for about an hour. Served them with salad and bread rolls.
Only trouble was, we had just enough to feed everyone there, so there wasn't any left for us :( - hence the fruit salad-yoghurt option... but it was probably better for me ;)
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:34 am

Had Chipotle yesterday :)

Not about what I ate today but interesting nonetheless, an investigation by the Boston globe found 48% of restaurants substituting expensive cuts of fish for cheaper species.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles ... te/?page=2

I wonder at what implications this might have for some big restaurants in the area, and whether this will get tested in other markets.

The sliver of raw fish sold as white tuna at Skipjack’s in Foxborough was actually escolar, an oily, cheaper species banned in Japan because it can make people sick. The Alaskan butterfish at celebrity chef Ming Tsai’s Blue Ginger in Wellesley was really sablefish, traditionally a staple at Jewish delicatessens, not upscale dining establishments.

At Chau Chow Seafood Restaurant in Dorchester, the $23 flounder fillet turned out to be a Vietnamese catfish known as swai - nutritionally inferior and often priced under $4 a pound.

Those were among the findings of a five-month Globe investigation into the mislabeling of fish. It showed that Massachusetts consumers routinely and unwittingly overpay for less desirable, sometimes undesirable, species - or buy seafood that is simply not what it is advertised to be. In many cases, the fish was caught thousands of miles away and frozen, not hauled in by local fishermen, as the menu claimed. It may be perfectly palatable - just not what the customer ordered. But sometimes mislabeled seafood can cause allergic reactions, violate dietary restrictions, or contain chemicals banned in the United States.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:40 am

Wow, that's big-time fraud - and also potentially putting people at risk if it's a type of fish that can make them sick :shock:

It's be a pretty hot day here today - 32C, or about 90F for those of you in North America - which isn't what you're wanting in mid-spring!! Anyway, as a result of the weather I've made my healthier version of chicken caesar salad. There's chicken (obviously), shredded cos lettuce and sliced hard-boiled egg, but instead of things like bacon, parmesan, croutons and mayonnaise I have boiled baby potatoes, sliced celery, cucumber and cherry tomatoes as well as blanched sliced asparagus and beans and a sprinkle of snow pea sprouts.

Not to mention fresh fruit salad for dessert. Mmmmmmmm....
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:36 am

Wow, talk about blowing the whistle! :shock:

Yesterday morning: potato and cheese omelet with Spam and cheese grits. (Oreo insisted on sharing my Spam. :))

Last night: pizza at the D&D game.

Today: one of my coworkers brought me some leftovers (stuffed bread and a kind of sweet I can't think of the name of) from her husband's surprise birthday party on Saturday. And I brought ramen. :roll:

Tonight, who knows? ("Only the Hubby knows... Hahahaha!!")
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby hamlet » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:47 am

Ill behaved weekend.

Saturday night (and straight on through till Sunday morning at 5:00) was a Halloween party wherin we consumed such "health food" as toquitos(sp?), pigs in blanket, chips and dip, etc. Yeah. That's just wonderful.

Sunday, had Dim Sum with family returning from vacation and ate entirely too much of the fried and heavy cakey stuff rather than the good for you steamed and yummy stuff.

Today, lunch is some granola and an apple. Supper is some seaweed salad and steamed veggie dumplings. Tomorrow is more leftover soup, which will be yummy and delicoius.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:26 am

Friday night was steak and cheese sandwich with caramelized onions and saute mushrooms...chips on the side.

Saturday night was chicken parm, started in a skillet, baked off in the oven to get that cheese all melty.

Sunday was braised short ribs with potatoes, carrots and peas.

All came out great.

JudyA, your cake sounds very lovely and good on you for making the church supper and the "impossible quiche". :D

Lewie. :shock: Goodness, I knew that shark was used as a substitute in restaurants, but not to that degree. Chipotle's :D YUM.

hamlet, :D sometimes ya just gotta go for the treats and deal with the aftermath.

Morwenna, sounds like a good yummy weekend.

Tonight is leftover spaghetti with sausages and sauce.

Bon Appitit!!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby hamlet » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:44 am

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. Problem is, it tends to be a lot more aftermath than I really like.

Next time a party happens, I'm going to make healthy food so that it's not just horrible for you nuggets of death.

Tasty tasty death.

In other, less silly news, the family has decided, again, that I will cook for Christmas and Thanksgiving. This is not precisely news since I've done it the last five years or so.

But, they've promised this time to give me free reign. :lol:

Thanksgiving menu will be a pork roast stuffed with apples and cranberries, wild rice with same apples and cranberriese, braised caulliflower with capers and bread crumbs, and some sort of extra vegetable and a desert of some sort. I'm really looking forward to this one. Might stuff an acorn squash or three just for extra fun effect.

Christmas is . . . tougher. I'm thinking standing prime rib roast, which is something I haven't had in a decade, and have never had a chance to actually cook. Something really extra special for the day you know?
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:17 am

We got the word a few days ago that my BIL is indeed hosting Thanksgiving. Oh well... We had been going to go to an SF convention that weekend but since I couldn't get Friday off (same as last year) and since we're already going to a conference the weekend before, we've decided not to go to the con. So maybe we'll have a dinner for friends then! (Finances, you know how it is: I'll lose out on 2 Saturdays of overtime in November as it is, one for the conference and one for an SCA event; and hotel bills are not cheap either, even at con rates and when sharing with friends, and at the conference we have a room of our own to pay for. And then there's the gas to travel from Connecticut to Maryland and back... nope, not this year.) Still, the thought of having dinner for friends on the weekend is nice. :heart: Let's face it, we're both dying for an excuse to entertain, now that we've made the space to do it!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:09 pm

Hamlet, how many are you cooking for? Our holiday dinners are usually for seven, so it's not too daunting. The menu sounds perfect. :)

Hubby made basic sautéed drumsticks while I was gallivanting on Saturday. :)

Sunday we decided to go out, as it was very hot and I did not feel like cooking for Monday if we ate what we had. Lufu had a burger, unusually for him, and hubby and I had different chicken salads. It's a local place, and the meat is fresh and lovely.

Today I gave chicken to Lufu for lunch, so I'll probably make my emergency frozen salmon for dinner and finish off the chicken tomorrow, possibly as a stir-fry. He's so picky about lunches, I'm running out of ideas. Maybe I'll give him pastrami and avocado sandwich tomorrow.
Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.
Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby JudyA » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:34 pm

hamlet wrote:Thanksgiving menu will be a pork roast stuffed with apples and cranberries, wild rice with same apples and cranberries, braised cauliflower with capers and bread crumbs, and some sort of extra vegetable and a desert of some sort. I'm really looking forward to this one. Might stuff an acorn squash or three just for extra fun effect.

Christmas is . . . tougher. I'm thinking standing prime rib roast, which is something I haven't had in a decade, and have never had a chance to actually cook. Something really extra special for the day you know?

*Contemplates chucking in her holiday Christmas to eat at Hamlet's place* ;)
JudyA
Mariner

Postby hamlet » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:28 am

Thanksgiving will be between 5 and 8 people, depending on who shows up. Possibly more if the TORCers decide to crash the party!

My general philosophy is to make enough for 10 people. That's enough for a reasonable party, plus leftovers, a big party without leftovers, and if you have more than that you should probably kick some people out of the house.

My biggest problem, actually, will be keeping people out of the kitchen while I cook. They all have this deluded sense of "duty" to "socialize" with me while I work, but end up standing precisely in the way while I'm carrying a 20lb plus blazing hot dish from the oven. Or, worse yet, offering advice and, while I'm not looking, "adjusting" things.

I may adopt a rabid pitbull as a guard dog just for the holidays to keep them out.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:20 am

hamlet, your holiday meals sounds excellent, particularly Christmas. We always do a full rib roast for Christmas as well, but Thanksgiving is very traditional and maybe my favorite. Pork roast stuffed with lovely fruits will be a great change. As to the family poking in while you are cooking, I don't mind that, just a ton of "excuse me's"...but if they were to mess with anything that I was cooking I would toss them from the kitchen and have. I politely tell advice givers that when they are the one cooking, I will look forward to tasting this dish with their variation...eventually they stop. This takes years and years of course. :P

Hey Frelga lady, our size always depends on people coming from out of town. Sometimes everyone shows up and it is around 12-15 people, sometimes no one comes in (depends on weather and kids not feeling well or work issues) and it is 6. This year seven with the addition of my SIL's sister moving here. But I still love it....a lovely roasted turkey and stuffing and all the sides that I crave during the rest of the year. :D Does your family do a traditional Thanksgiving or pull in recipes from the old country?

Hey JudyA. :D

Morwenna, I am sure that the holiday will be just fine with all you have planned anyway. The idea of having dinner for friends if a great one. Not everyone can afford to do a Thanksgiving full deal, if people help out and only do a dish or so, then all can eat well and enjoy the company.

Last night I made a tuna casserole, came out lovely and I have leftovers for tonight as well.

Bon Appitit!!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Morwenna » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:14 pm

Tuna casserole!! I owe myself one of those. :)

For years my parents had standing rib roast for Christmas (anything but turkey: with only 3 of us it took forever to kill off the Thanksgiving one), and when they got older and I wasn't around except for monthly visits and holidays and a whole roast got to be too much, it became porterhouse steaks. Now Christmas is usually at BIL's (or his daughter's) and we eat whatever's there, and it varies. At least there's usually a ham. And that pork roast with fruit sounds wooonderful! Figures, doesn't it; pork and more pork. Christmas Eve we spend at a friend's mother's (or occasionally brother's), and there's almost always ham and there's usually my tourtiere (pork pie) as well.

Last night hubby roasted a chicken breast and served it with a packaged side dish.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:12 pm

Well, I'm starting the day with health food... hoovering up corn chips :roll:

Making Lebanese kibbe for dinner tonight, with pita bread, hommus and salad... :)
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:03 am

At this time I am planning on making a Thanksgiving dinner for Ryan's mom and possibly his sister and her family.

I will not be making a turkey cause I really do not like turkey but will look at other options for alternatives like ham or something of that idea. I am going to ask each of them to bring something to add to the dinner or dessert and for so few that should be enough with a salad and dinner rolls. Perhaps some candied yams.

Man, now I am hungry!!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of Borin who passed away in March 2020 I believe
Calma she passed away on 07/05/19 ! RIP dear lady! :rose:
Primula Baggins passed away on 02/27/19
Cockrobin has passed away on 02/18/2019 Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend!
oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my beloved mother who has joined my daddy with Jesus. :rose: 1/11/20 For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you mom and daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rwhen » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:02 am

Vanadarlin' what the heck are you doing up so early this morning?? :D Is there frost all over your area too? I had to spend 10 minutes scraping the car this morning...29 degrees here at 6:15am!!!

Sounds like it will be a fun time for your Thanksgiving and a ham is great as an alternative for turkey. :D

JudyA, love it...I think in SOME circles corn chips are considered healthy!!

Last night I was checking leftovers and found two pieces of ciabatta garlic butter bread in the freezer...and some leftover sausage pasta sauce...with little sauce, heavy on the sausage. So I let them come to room temp and then put the sausage mix on the bread and covered it with cheeses and under the broiler. Came out great. I have a chicken fried steak out for tonight.

Bon Appitit!!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby hamlet » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:54 am

Mmmmm, chicken fried steak . . .

Very yummy with biscuits and gravy and a couple eggs.

Lovely, now I'm hungry.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:12 am

Mmm, JudyA, looove Middle Eastern food... :love: It's been ages since I've had kibbe.

Last night: franks & beans. Tonight may be something else with chicken.

Was talking to someone from church last night, the organizer for the Samhain service this Sunday, and it seems I'll be baking something for it. When I do, I'll post the recipe over in Cooking Guild. In any case I'll probably make the pumpkin raisin muffins that were such a hit a few years ago, and I realize that I keep forgetting to post it here on TORC... :roll:
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:14 am

hamlet, I didn't do the chicken fried steak last night, but if I had (and I will tonight) I will do the biscuits, but with mashed taters for the gravy and a veggie on the side. Altho for breakfast at suppertime, two eggs would be a grand substitute.

Last night ended up being leftover ham and bean soup with some ciabatta toast. I got lazy.

Morwenna, pumpkin muffins? YUMMY

Bon Appitit!!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

PreviousNext

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby