The 5th Course, The Foodies Thread

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Re: The 5th Course, The Foodies Thread

Postby hamlet » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:08 am

Stroganoff. Mmmmmmmm . . .

*drool*

I don't get to make it ever since the people I cook for go on rants about how they hate mushrooms. They're completely wrong of course, but I still can't cook mushrooms with them around.

Most of my food this week is, sadly, canned soup and leftovers. Have to empty out the freezer which, inexplicably, became completely stuffed with leftover chicken soup/stew and some other things. Then I get to fill it again.

I might break out the grill this weekend, but don't know what for just yet. Have to let inspiration come to me. Perhaps jerk chicken wingettes and home made pizza on the grill? Hmmm . . . One last grill bash before the cold weather sets in. Make use of Indian Summer while it's here.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:18 am

You're a hobbit in a family of humans, aren't you? ;)

Bring the mushrooms over here, I won't complain! :D

<------ The TVM is going on vacation!

Cats were once worshiped in Egypt. They have never forgotten this.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby hamlet » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:28 am

Which is ironic since I'm, by far, the tallest person in my extended family.

Gives me a craving to make chicken cordon bleu with a mushroom and cream gravy to put on top.

And now I'm hungry.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby BagginsGirl » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:41 pm

Reading all the food you guys cook makes me hungry!!! Sounds like you're all good cooks :)

Hamlet, my family is the opposite of yours we all love mushrooms ( except my baby sister & grandma), we actually fight over them, haha!
BagginsGirl
Rider of the Mark

Postby siddharth » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:43 am

Had this and that with some jeera rice for dinner last night. :)
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby hamlet » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:01 am

I'm insanely jealous now.

Last night I had some canned/boxed cream of brocooli soup. It was tasty, but sure as shootin' wasn't like that.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby BagginsGirl » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:22 pm

Mm, Sidd you eat yummy looking food!!! It looks like it beats the French fries and veggie burger I had for dinner.....
BagginsGirl
Rider of the Mark

Postby hamlet » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:59 am

Just got a new copy of my Cook's Illustrated magazine today, and there isn't a single recipe in it that I wouldn't try.

A nice chocolate tart.

A variation of Julia Child's turkey for Thanksgiving (you know, the one she dismantles beforehand, bones out and stuffs even the thighs?).

A fantastic recipe for Chicken Stew.

And a recipe for a holiday bone in pork roast with a port wine cherry sauce that I'm just drooling over.

Too bad the freezer is full of stuff already.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby hamlet » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:57 am

Managed to make a couple of things this weekend.

First, a batch of Lion's Head Casserole. Essentially, giant turkey meatballs with ginger and seasonings in them that have been braised in chicken stock with lots of chinese cabbage. Very tasty and light supper last night.

I also managed to make a big batch of blondies, but reduced the amount of fat in them by almost 40%. They actually turned out to taste better than the full fat version oddly enough. Definately going to have to keep that recipe on hand.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:29 am

If anyone is planning to take food to an Halloween party, tonite or soon, I have what I thought was the best/easiest suggestion.

Take a small baking pan (8' x8', or larger if you want to make a big batch) and fill it up with about 1/2 to 1"
of Grape Nuts, or other small granular cereal. Then make a batch of Brownies, but instead of making them square, mold them so that they are about 3/4" in diameter and 2-4" long. Scatter them on top of the cereal and present.
(In case your imagination is not working, it looks like a filled cat box.)

The first time I saw these, other things brought by the guests--such as "lady fingers" with blood and nail polish-- paled by comparison. I tested the brownies, which were good, but few were eaten. I wonder why?

I am going to a pot luck, but I am chickening out and taking grapes. If I get ambitious, I might draw eyes on some.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby JudyA » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:14 am

None of you guys cooking any more??

:(
JudyA
Mariner

Postby hamlet » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:35 am

The long dead thread rises from the grave, shambling in a strange semblance and parody of life as it emerges from the squamos horror filled nocturnal world . . .

Sorry, been reading too much HP Lovecraft. :)

Been cooking. Made some nice five spice powder marinated pork chops last night along with some ginger and garlic sauteed snap peas and some couscous with shredded nappa cabbage in it.

Tonight, a big pot of Caldo Verde soup.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby JudyA » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:10 am

Cool. And congrats on your new shiny, by the way :D

Tonight Mr JudyA cooked - lamb and mint sausages, mashed potatoes and salad. With a nice glass of sauvignon blanc. Nice not to cook. :thumbsup:

Most recent cooking efforts from me include apricot jam, chocolate cake, risotto and - because there was chicken stock left over after making
the risotto - veggie soup.

:)
JudyA
Mariner

Postby JudyA » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:38 am

Clearly, no-one is eating right now. :roll:

Would like to say, for the record, that I will be cooking a roast chicken tomorrow night with a rice and olive stuffing. there will also be roast potatoes, pumpkin parsnip and carrot, plus some greens and gravy made with homemade chicken stock.

Oh, and if any's left by tomorrow we will finish up the pavlova that I made yesterday :D
JudyA
Mariner

Postby hamlet » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:31 am

Actually, my problem is precisely the opposite at the moment . . .

Last night I broke out the grill for the first time since . . . October? Maybe September. We've had lots of snow this year and relatively early in the season too.

Anywho, I grilled up some miso glazed chicken and some fresh asparagus spears. Man that was tasty, and enough leftovers for lunch tomorrow as well.

Tonight, family is returning from their trip to Delaware and they're thinking of either going out for Japanese food or Indian, they don't know which. I'm invited, though at this point, feeling not great about myself and choices, I might pass on it even if they do Indian, which is one of those thigns I adore. Jaipuri for the win!
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:30 am

Hey! The thread is back! :D

I haven't cooked in a long time, but hubby makes up for it, as usual. We just had a New England boiled dinner last week. This week we're using up a lot of things we have kicking around.

I'm really surprised no one was on here during the big holiday season!

This past Saturday was the party for our youngest nephew's 30th birthday. There were meatballs, ziti, sausage & peppers, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, buffalo chicken mac & cheese (that's one item), salad, rolls, and that was just the dinner; you should have seen the appetizer board! We brought home leftover chicken and that's one of the things we were using up lately.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:00 pm

Sounds like a great party, Morwenna! I love the parties with good food :thumbsup:

hamlet wrote:Actually, my problem is precisely the opposite at the moment . . .

I grilled up some miso glazed chicken and some fresh asparagus spears. Man that was tasty, and enough leftovers for lunch tomorrow as well.

Yummy - Hamlet, can I come over for dinner at your place? :)

Haven't the foggiest what to cook for dinner tonight. Maybe I can convince Mr JudyA to make sushi... :P
JudyA
Mariner

Postby hamlet » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:20 am

Last night made a very simple supper. Some nice curly green kale and some cannelini beans with garlic, red pepper, and a bit of broth for the braising. Very tasty, but literally just beans and greens. Some leftovers for lunch today along with an apple and a few bananas.

Tonight, since I'm running out of food and I don't want to spend money in a restaurant or at the grocery store tonight, probably something on the order of a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich, or maybe just some toast. Something fast and simple.

Tomorrow, friends showing up for a pot luck. Making grilled pork tenderloin with home made pico de gailo salsa as a go with. Might include a bit of sour cream and some tortilla wraps if people want to make it into a sandwich or something. The recipe is called "dissapearing tenderloin" since it gets eaten so fast. I've made it many times in the past and there are almost never any leftovers. :wink:
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:32 am

Last night hubby made use of the remains of that boiled dinner to make hash. Not just corned beef hash: boiled dinner hash! The carrots and cabbage and all in with the meat & potatoes. And onions. He added garlic powder, thyme, and cumin. And it was yummy! There's some left over that will go into an omelet one of these days. And there's still a bit of meat left for sandwiches (that's his thing).
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:56 am

The omelette option sounds pretty much like old "Bubble and Squeak" (a British thing that basically means cooking up your leftovers with egg... or at least that's what it meant in my house when I was a kid ;) )

Our neighbour went overseas at short notice yesterday morning and made us a present of her fruit, veggies and eggs. I roasted a big pan of veggies for dinner tonight - with some beef steak done in the frypan for me and the Little Fairy. I've chopped up most of the leftovers over a salad base for Mr JudyA's lunch.

Tomorrow it's poached chicken with veg and white sauce on rice. And I'm got my thinking cap on for some nice ideas with all those extra eggs - plus the buttermilk I bought yesterday. Hmmmm.... :P
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Alasséa » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:43 am

Funny, bubble and squeak in our house was always leftover veggies mixed with mashed potato, shaped into patties and fried in plenty of butter. Mmm...

Today we had Mr Leafy's parents and remaining grandparents for Sunday lunch, and to see our new house. Roasted pork belly with crackling, the best roast potatoes ever, (one of the few skills I possess that I boast about freely. Seriously, they're amazing.) veggies and proper gravy. Then some tasty saucisson and French cheeses from the ever expensive and delicious market on London's South Bank, finished up with a homemade chocolate and pecan tart.

JudyA, might I recommend you use some of those eggs up in the latter? It is seriously good, and almost foolproof to make! Just roll out 500g of puff pastry, lay it on a lightly greased baking tray, fold over and press down 2cm of the edges to create a rim and bake at 220C for 18-20mins until well risen. Turn the oven down to 150C. Then melt together 25g salted butter, 25g brown sugar and 200ml of maple syrup in a pan, remove from the heat and stir in 75g chopped dark chocolate, letting the residual heat melt it. Finally, beat in 3 eggs (take care the mixture isn't hot enough to scramble them!) and 150g pecans, then pour the filling into the pastry case. Return to the oven for 20-25mins until just set, and serve warm or cold with cream. YUM.

Hamlet, what is your recipe for pico de gallo?
Alasséa
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:00 pm

So occasionally my husband returns from grocery shopping with some cut of meat I've never encountered before. This time, it's chuck steak, already pounded pretty thin. I thought chuck steak is one of those cuts that should be cooked slowly, but when it's pounded??? Any ideas what I can do with it?
Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.
Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Morwenna » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:04 pm

The leftover hash went into omelets yesterday and today for brunch. (Who wants to get up early on weekends?) :P

This evening hubby made his jambalaya. Now, it's not traditional, because there's no seafood in it (he doesn't like seafood) and we use other sausage, usually kielbasa, rather than the traditional andouille, and he adds lentils. I suppose you could call it spicy lentil stew, but that doesn't begin to cover it. I usually insist on him making it at least once every winter, and winter's officially over (but it's still cold, or at least cool), but there's that big kettle full out there and I'm not complaining! I packed a container to take for tomorrow's lunch. We'll probably eat it all week.

Main ingredients: sausage, lentils, rice, peppers, onion, tomato, and seasonings, mainly paprika and cumin and cayenne and I don't know what-all else...
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:00 am

Frelga wrote:So occasionally my husband returns from grocery shopping with some cut of meat I've never encountered before. This time, it's chuck steak, already pounded pretty thin. I thought chuck steak is one of those cuts that should be cooked slowly, but when it's pounded??? Any ideas what I can do with it?

I've never seen pounded chuck steak myself, but my expectation is that you will still need to cook it slowly, just not for as long, perhaps. The pounding may have gone some way towards breaking down the connecting tissue, but I'd reckon you'd still need to cook it for a good two hours. All that might happen is that you cook your dish for the usual time and the meat is swooningly soft. So enjoy it - it'll be yum :)

Morwenna, that sounds delicious. I'm not a big fan of seafood either, so making it with sausage... mmmm, now you're talking ;)

Alassea, chocolate is a serious weakness of mine :whistle: ... I have printed out your recipe and will have a crack at it. Looks like real health food :P
Although I do have about 18 eggs to get through! So maybe in the first instance I need to make a pavlova or something. That'd deal with six!
JudyA
Mariner

Postby hamlet » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:30 am

Had a potluck on Friday. Ate lots of very tasty things.

Made some grilled pork tenderloin and home made pico de gaillo for them and it dissapeared except for some minor bits left over. I'm eating those for supper last night and tonight, and hopefully might still be good tomorrow for some salad. If not, I'll figure something out.

Otherwise, no real cooking this week. Have to get back on the proper eating train again. Been misbehaving for too long and the scale is yelling at me.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:19 am

I wish I had the willpower to listen {sic} to the scale. But I'm too much of a hobbit! *scarfing down hubby's pseudo-jambalaya...*
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Calma » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:54 am

Frelga wrote:So occasionally my husband returns from grocery shopping with some cut of meat I've never encountered before. This time, it's chuck steak, already pounded pretty thin. I thought chuck steak is one of those cuts that should be cooked slowly, but when it's pounded??? Any ideas what I can do with it?

Bread it and fry it for chicken fried steak. Add some mashed potatoes and a veggie with some gravy and you're good to go.
Image HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!!

Join the fun InThe TVM

ImageCAT LOVERS GUILD :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!
:D Wins: 89
:x Losses: 73

Fair winds and following seas.....Toby.

:rose: Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan... toby

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby Alasséa » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:34 pm

JudyA wrote:Alassea, chocolate is a serious weakness of mine :whistle: ... I have printed out your recipe and will have a crack at it. Looks like real health food :P
Although I do have about 18 eggs to get through! So maybe in the first instance I need to make a pavlova or something. That'd deal with six!

Oh no, there's absolutely nothing nutritionally redemptive about it whatsoever, but that's not really the point is it? :-P

Mmm, pavlova...

Calma, what does 'chicken fried' mean? Is it a specific way of deep frying something? Chicken fried steak sounds bizarre to me!
Alasséa
Ranger of the North

Postby Calma » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:39 pm

Chicken fried refers to the breading one uses.
Whatever you use to fry chicken, (flour, bread crumbs...) use for the steak
And fry it as you would chicken.
With the thin chuck steak, not as long as you would chicken.

btw, I wouldn't deep fry the steak, though.
Image HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!!

Join the fun InThe TVM

ImageCAT LOVERS GUILD :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!
:D Wins: 89
:x Losses: 73

Fair winds and following seas.....Toby.

:rose: Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan... toby

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby Alasséa » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:50 pm

So no actual chicken involved then? :wink: It's basically covering a piece of meat in flour or breadcrumbs, and shallow frying it? Where does the name 'chicken' come from then?
Alasséa
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby