The 5th Course, The Foodies Thread

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:37 am

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary Morwenna darling sweet friend!!! Wow!! 21 years and still going strong!! Good for you two!! I hope you enjoy your dinner out!! :hug:

No we did not have the shrimp fried rice. He did not want to make the rice. :roll: For pity sake we have a rice cooker so its just a matter of getting stuff put into it. Oh well, we had veggie wraps again and this time I did have him thaw me out some shrimp for mine. So I had shrimp and veggie wraps!! They were good too!!!

So what is for dinner tonight folks?? I have no idea on this end..... so many choices actually when there is food in the freezer.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of Calma she passed away on 07/05/19 ! RIP dear lady! :rose:
Primula Baggins passed away on 02/27/19
Cockrobin has passed away on 02/18/2019 Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend!
oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rwhen » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:59 am

Sorry you didn't get the shrimp fried rice, maybe tonight or later. :D I am having leftover Cuban style pork loin roast from last night. I think if the weather holds chilly I will make a vat of soup for the weekend. YUM. I have peas and ham...so that might go down a treat.
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Yes Ayslhyn, I do still remember.

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:10 am

Sounds so good!!!! Soup and sandwiches on a cold day always sound so good and warming to the soul!!! :thumbsup:
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of Calma she passed away on 07/05/19 ! RIP dear lady! :rose:
Primula Baggins passed away on 02/27/19
Cockrobin has passed away on 02/18/2019 Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend!
oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:15 pm

We bought some tomatoes and a cucumber the other day so we can have panini sandwiches on nights we don't feel like having leftovers.

Of course, since we're going out to dinner tonight (place to be decided), we'll probably have leftovers from there. We usually do.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:51 pm

Yes, happy anniversary, Morwenna. :)

Tonight was the pasta bake/casserole reheated. Well, for Wilko. I had some for lunch, so I wasn't that hungry for dinner, so I just had some buttered bread. :)

Tomorrow I think I'll make that peppered winter stew I made a while ago. It's been absolutely bucketing it down and howling a gale, so it's time for some autumnal fare. :)
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:05 pm

Pulled pork. French fried, coleslaw, and some Ring Dings for desert :D
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:27 am

Hope it's a great night, Morwenna :)

Rwhen, your Cuban dinner sounds yummy but can you explain the difference between Cuban food and, say, Spanish or Mexican food? Or, say, South American cuisines like Argentina?!?

SWOTT... what's pulled pork?

Tonight was (bought) baby pizza bases with everyone's chosen toppings on them. Mr JudyA can't have (or shouldn't have) normal pizza, so I made him some special rosemary flatbreads to put his pizza toppings on :D

Oh, and btw there's still some choccy cake left. I reckon it'll disappear at morning tea or lunch tomorrow, though ;)
JudyA
Mariner

Postby hamlet » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:21 am

Pulled pork is a very slowly cooked pork shoulder roast that is well seasoned and generally served either with a vinegar and spiced dressing, or with a nice home made barbecue sauce. It takes, at a minimum, 4 hours of cooking, but you're more likely to spend at least twice that if you're doing it right. It's called "pulled" because when it is finally done, it is pulled apart using fingers or forkes and essentially shredded down to individual meat fibers.

It is, when done properly, a glorious thing. However, it is rarely done properly.

Last night, didn't get home till after 9:00. Stupid job. Ate two english muffins with fig and ginger jam on them, then crawled into bed.

Tonight, sushi.

Tomorrow, Octoberfest!
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:23 am

Hello Foodies!

Morwenna how was the anniversary supper? Where did you go?

hamlet, hope that the parents are less stressful this weekend. Enjoy the sushi this evening and a great pulled pork is awesome!!!! Low and slow all the way.

JudyA - mini pizza and chocolate cake!!! LOVE IT. I am no expert on all of the "latin" cuisines...but growing up my mothers closest friend was Cuban and they opened a restaurant. My FAVORITE thing they made was this Cuban pork roast - I have to admit I don't think mine ever comes to the same standard as theirs did, but close. They taught me how to make it.

On South American dishes - many of the countries LOVE their meats, all sorts done on open large BBQ type areas inside restaurants. Chimmichuri is the "salsa" used tons in South America. Argentina is known for this in particular.

Mexican - there are several types of Mexican. One is Tex-Mex which is what many restaurants serve as authentic Mexican. Usually the flavors are rich with meats, chiles, avocado, and variations of salsa, but usually a tomato/pepper/onion based salsa.

Authentic is really hard to find. The same things are used but cooked differently. Simple food, but very delicious.

I hope this is helpful. It is just off the top of my head without looking things up. :D

I watch a lot of the Food Network. ;)

Last night was leftover pork roast AND I splurged at the grocery and bought four artichokes. So I had one last night with my pork roast. Heavenly.

Tonight I am having beef stew that the brother made a vat of and is trying to get me to take some home....SO I WILL. :D

Bon Appitit!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:46 am

JudyA wrote:Hope it's a great night, Morwenna :)

Rwhen, your Cuban dinner sounds yummy but can you explain the difference between Cuban food and, say, Spanish or Mexican food? Or, say, South American cuisines like Argentina?!?

SWOTT... what's pulled pork?

Tonight was (bought) baby pizza bases with everyone's chosen toppings on them. Mr JudyA can't have (or shouldn't have) normal pizza, so I made him some special rosemary flatbreads to put his pizza toppings on :D

Oh, and btw there's still some choccy cake left. I reckon it'll disappear at morning tea or lunch tomorrow, though ;)

Northern Mexican food is probably more familar. Flour tortillas. Beef. Cheese.

Southern Mexico-corn, lots of corn. lot's of chiles and other peppers. Sweeter. Western Mexico has a lot of goat.

If you go native they like to eat insects, spiders, snakes, and monkeys :D

Like Rhwen said, South America- (well Brazil Argentina/Uruguay) meat. Barbecue. My cousin married a girl from Argentina then they built a outdoor oven for her. They also drink a lot of coffee, and have some great deserts and wine.

The best meat I've ever had was at a Brazilian barbecue place. Love to actually go there and try it.

I think Cubans eat a lot of pork, and if it's anything like P.R food, root vegetables and tropical fruit.

Like so much of the region they all combine Spanish/Portuguese food traditions with native ingredients and traditions.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:07 am

We went to our local Mexican restaurant last night and shared a big nacho platter for starters, but the entrees came when we were only half finished so we put the nachos aside to bring home; hubby will probably eat them for lunch. He had a chile relleno, and I had mole' poblano con pollo (I love mole' sauce). That meat was a whole chicken leg! :shock: And with the rice and refried beans that came with it, and the nachos I ate, and the pina colada :), there was no way I wanted dessert! In fact I was so stuffed I didn't even remember what my favorite Mexican dessert was--flan!! If I'd remembered flan I might have been tempted to struggle one down. But I was so full that whe we got home and were watching Jeopardy I kept dozing off, so I ended up going to bed right afterward. Which meant that I wasn't hungry even this morning! I finally got my appetite back about an hour ago and jolly good too because in less than an hour I'll be out in the park next door partaking of the year-end picnic here at work.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:57 am

Peppered winter stew tonight with stewing lamb. In fact, I'd better get to it, since it needs a couple of hours in the oven. Bye! :hihi:
heliona

Postby Morwenna » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:10 am

Heliona, that's the stew you posted in Cooking Guild, yes? :)

The menu at the lunch picnic: burgers (meat or veggie, with or without cheese), hot dogs, barbecued chicken, baked beans, corn on the cob, potato salad, pasta salad, veggies for the burgers, condiments, brownies, 3 kinds of cookies, watermelon, and soda (4 flavors) or bottled water.

No, I didn't have some of everything! :shock: Just a cheeseburger with tomato and onion, beans, both salads, 2 cookies, and a soda. But that was enough!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:04 am

Yes, that's the stew. :) Although I won't be buying the stewing lamb again. It was really quite fatty and there were some huge chunks of bone too. Next time I'll pay a bit more for some slightly nicer meat. :) We didn't have any red wine for some reason, so I added some white wine instead (but not as much). Here's hoping it tastes good - I'm getting hungry and I have to wait at least an hour to haul it out of the oven. :D
heliona

Postby Morwenna » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:12 pm

Here's hoping we have that moussaka soon; we bought a few eggplants over 2 weeks ago now and they're still good but they won't last forever! We have some ground lamb (technically young mutton) in our freezer still, and we have some ground beef too to fluff it out if we need it. We had the stuffed cabbage rolls first but it was a tossup then, Now it's time for moussaka!!!! Got that, hubby?????
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:32 pm

Thank you all for the anniversary well-wishes. :grouphug:

Supper tonight is panini sandwiches with cream of chicken soup, and I have to watch it because I'm getting feta crumbs in the keyboard. :oops: We make them now with both tomato and cucumber, and are they yummy!

And yes, I reminded hubby that the moussaka has to be made soon!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:29 pm

Tonight was meatloaf, baked potato, and sauteed zucchini
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:26 pm

Morwenna: Sounds like a lovely night - you just want to be able to fit in more than you really can at dinners like that ;)

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on the different cuisines. I was more or less familiar with a number of them (except southern Mexican), but I was looking for something that I could link to Cuban to help me "get" what its cuisine is about. But I can still drool over rwhen's recipe :D

We had a barbecue for lunch - Mr JudyA was in the mood - so I bought chipolatas from our butcher up the road and we also barbecued some capsicum, zucchini, squash, asparagus and mushroom. And we had the last of the chocolate cake for dessert :thumbsup:

Mr JudyA has itchy fingers and wants to cook dinner - at the moment he's trying to decide what he will use his talents to create. Should be interesting. :)

It's the Little Fairy's birthday on Monday and she has asked for pasta with my homemade bolognese sauce. She can't decide between cake or a flash dessert for sweets, so has left the decision up to me... am still trying to decide what to create... :bookworm:
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:13 am

What's a flash dessert? :?

Right now I'm working overtime, scarfing down an egg & cheese croissant from Dunkin Donuts. The weekend crew always sends a runner out for brekkies. Thank heaven! Because the cafeteria next door is only open on weekdays.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:32 am

Morwenna wrote:What's a flash dessert? :?

:rofl:

I mean flashy, fancy... :lol:

Butter chicken for dinner tonight - yummy bought sauce, lots of vegies and pappadums.

All I will say about the Little Fairy's birthday dinner is that I have chosen to cook a flash dessert. I will tell you more about it tomorrow.

What I can tell you know without giving the main game away is that my lovely old mini ice cream maker died on Friday, which was a crisis as I had hauled it out to make some blood orange sorbet. But when your freezer bowl springs a leak, you're in trouble!

I decided I deserved to get a new one (the old one did last me nearly 20 years, after all!), so I made the blood orange sorbet today, and it will form part of the dessert. The secret about the rest of it will remain until tomorrow night.... :D
JudyA
Mariner

Postby JudyA » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:12 am

Can now reveal that the dessert I made for the Little Fairy's birthday dinner tonight was a chocolate terrine - white chocolate layer sandwiched between two dark chocolate layers. Served with the blood orange sorbet it was a big hit. :) My dad and stepmum came over for dinner and my dad told the Little Fairy after eating his dessert, "Thanks for having a birthday so we could come over for dinner" :D
JudyA
Mariner

Postby hamlet » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:05 am

The weekend turned out to be quite good.

Saturday, I started early and finished late, but finished off the Saurbraten, and it turned out . . . magnificent. Served it with Spatzel with bacon and onions and home made red cabbage (Rotkhol) that was made with more bacon and apples. The family fell upon it like a pack of dogs on a three-legged cat and inhaled it. Which made me happy to say the least. All the leftovers were given to my sister to take back to Philly with her to feed her and her boyfriend. Heard from them late last night saying they loved it the second time around, too. They're now begging me for recipes.

Sunday was a quiet day for doing a few housekeeping chores and mowing the lawn since it was such a beautiful day. Enjoyed a nice bowl of leftover creamy vegetable and wild rice soup which hit the spot and was a lot lighter than the roast the previous night.

Tonight, leftover stew, and then maybe later in the week, Hulless barley and ground turkey soup. Just have to clean some space in the freezer, which is full of stuff it shouldn't be at this point (lots of frozen veggies that are at least a year old and should probably get tossed out).
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:06 am

*drools* looking over all the delightful dishes that were made this weekend. hamlet and JudyA, YUMMO!!

hamlet, you did a huge amount of cooking!! Very glad all came out just as you would like and may I say...EW on the visual. *erases brain* :D :P

For me it was a busy weekend, but I did braise some beef short ribs in a tomato and red wine sauce with some veggies added the last hour, very good and tender. Yesterday I did a pasta back with mixed shells, three cheeses and layered with sauce and crispy prosciutto. Left overs there.

Morwenna hope you get your Greek dish.

Lewie, simple meatloaf is always great. I love sandwiches the next day.

heliona, how did your stew come out?

Eat well!!

Bon Appitit!!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby hamlet » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:11 am

Hmmmm . . . meatloaf . . .

Haven't had a simple meatloaf in . . . years now.

Hmmm . . . .

*runs out to start hunting down recipes*
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:22 am

JudyA, that dessert sounds right up my alley! :)

Hubby researched a bunch of moussaka recipes and discovered that he has to go shopping because there are a few things we're lacking. But I have hopes... :roll:

Last night, panini sandwiches again (FYI, I posted the directions over in Cooking Guild in case no one remembers), with broccoli cheese soup. The soup (canned) was so non-cheesy that hubby is thinking about making his own! :D Oh, and he baked brownies. From a mix, but it was a good mix!

Yesterday brunch was cheese omelet, leftover Spam (I'm sorry but I love that stuff), leftover grits fried, fresh biscuits with leftover sausage gravy. It got a lot of little containers out of the fridge! Only now we have leftover biscuits. :roll:
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:45 pm

Morwenna: I got the recipe from a BBC online website if you want to look it up. And it's really quite easy, although obviously a bit fiddly ;)

Hamlet: It's always nice when your guests love your food - and even better when they ask for recipes :D

I'm doing very little on the cooking front for a couple of days. I have two afternoons and evenings of solid meetings - and then have to do it all over again next Monday and Tuesday. Mr JudyA is holding the fort at home and I'm eating out in an inexpensive (and probably not very exciting) fashion. Will be craving home-cooked food by the time it's all over :roll:
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:15 pm

Hubby bought the necessary ingredients today and he says tomorrow he'll make the moussaka. (Please!) Tonight he wanted to make sausage, pepper & onion sandwiches, but I took a nap after work and on awakening the last thing I wanted was a sausage, so what I had in the bun along with the peppers, onion and cheese was scrambled eggs. :) Pretty yummy! And of course a brownie for dessert.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:36 pm

Does anyone have a recipe for CHEWY brownies? I've been trying to make them.. the recipes I search for say they are chewy.. but what they really are is fudgy. Rich, soft and fudgy. Which is fine... but to me, they are more like a very rich chocolate cake. What I want is chewy.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby JudyA » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:24 pm

I can't offer chewy ones, I'm afraid. They're all cakey or gooey, neither of which fits the bill. Good hunting.... :)
JudyA
Mariner

Postby hamlet » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:45 am

RoseMorninStar wrote:Does anyone have a recipe for CHEWY brownies? I've been trying to make them.. the recipes I search for say they are chewy.. but what they really are is fudgy. Rich, soft and fudgy. Which is fine... but to me, they are more like a very rich chocolate cake. What I want is chewy.

Define "chewy." I have recipes for brownies all the heck all over the place ranging from glorified chocolate cake to diabetes in a pan.

In the range of diabetes in a pan, but certainly chewy, I recommend Mrs. Fields' recipes for fudge brownies.

http://www.food.com/recipe/Mrs-Fields-Super-Fudge-Brownies-105751

They're very tasty, but so hideously bad for you that it's actually hard to enjoy them. And the baking time is a bit off. You really have to play it loose with the baking, keeping a close eye on it. Another tip, mix half of the cup of chocolate chips into the batter, then the other half on top. Makes for a nicer finished product. Easier to consume.
hamlet
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby