Shadowfax?

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:35 am

Anyone can do racing stripes. A few year ago I saw a black car where someone did flame detailing on it, but you could only see the flames when the sunlight hit it just right.

So I'm thinking a flaming detail like that would be pretty awesome. :) Can you see it? Shadowfax racing across the plains of Rohan and it looks like he's going so fast he's trailing flames! :D

Always...

"I'd rather kiss a Wookie..."

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby SilverScribe » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:27 am

IrisBrandybuck wrote:A few year ago I saw a black car where someone did flame detailing on it, but you could only see the flames when the sunlight hit it just right.

Iris, I've seen that type of detailing too, I think they call it "ghosting" . . . it's extremely beautiful for sure (and I bet expensive to do as well :shock: ).

And I think the flame motif would suit our speedy Shadowfax quite nicely . . . but of course, since it's his hide, he'll have the last say. ;)

:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby Shadowfax » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:30 am

SilverScribe wrote:
IrisBrandybuck wrote:A few year ago I saw a black car where someone did flame detailing on it, but you could only see the flames when the sunlight hit it just right.

Iris, I've seen that type of detailing too, I think they call it "ghosting" . . . it's extremely beautiful for sure (and I bet expensive to do as well :shock: ).

And I think the flame motif would suit our speedy Shadowfax quite nicely . . . but of course, since it's his hide, he'll have the last say. ;)

It is indeed called ghosting. 8) Not sure about the flames though, ghost striping would be cool.....hmmmm.

Shadowfax!
Shadowfax
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:09 am

Okay what I should have said it that it is not the same as riding a regular breed of horse. Draft horses are broader and yes many people such as vikings and the like have ridden them and we can as well but it is not as comfortable for those of us who haven't lots of riding experience. I stand corrected!
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:41 am

Any breed of horse can be ridden to some extent...whether or not comfortably is another question altogether. :) :hug:

With miniature horses, you just strap one to each foot...

Always...

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby Sunsilver » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:07 pm

The lifespan of a horse varies from breed to breed. Thoroughbreds don't live to be much older than 20. I've know draft horses that lived well into their 30's. Dale Evan's horse, Buttermilk, live to be 42, which is pretty exceptional.

Ponies do tend to live longer than horses, but size isn't everything when it comes to determining longevity. The Lippizaners, which are only slightly smaller than thoroughbreds, mature slowly and generally live into their 30's

As for the video with the draft horses, it looked like the horse got the trace chain caught on its shoe. It's possible the shoe pulled partially loose, or the chain caught on one of the sharp caulks that are put on the shoe to give the horse a better grip. Being flight animals, horses will fight until they exhaust themselves if they find their legs are caught, and they can't run.

I have a set of draft horseshoes that my dad was given by a blacksmith for horseshoe pitching. They only weigh about a pound each.

I guess they were meant for a SMALL draft horse...
Sunsilver
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:24 pm

Sunsilver wrote:I have a set of draft horseshoes that my dad was given by a blacksmith for horseshoe pitching. They only weigh about a pound each. I guess they were meant for a SMALL draft horse...

LOL Sunsilver! :D Actually, horseshoes made for the game (pitching) are much lighter than horseshoes made for putting on working horses. I think the regulation weights run from about a pound up to 2.78 pounds or thereabouts. ;)

And Iris!! Strap one to each foot!! :lmbo: :lmbo:

My uncle had a pair of very old draft horses on the farm, I think they were some sort of Belgians or something. I'm not sure how old they were at the time (I was just a wee child and he'd retired them a number of years earlier) but I could ride them by sitting crosslegged on their backs, with plenty of "horse" on either side, LOL.

Of course, the term "ride" could only loosely be applied to me sitting there like a human pimple while the horse plodded around the pasture, stopping often to graze and stare over the fence. :P

SilverScribe

Postby Sunsilver » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:19 pm

Scribbles, these are REAL horseshoes, like they used before the game became so regulated. The blacksmith also made a pair of stakes for my dad. We spent many happy hours ptching those shoes when we were kids I still have them out in the garage.

Weston was home to one of the last working blacksmith shops in Canada. My dad knew the owner, Mr. Mobbs, and we used to stop there frequently to chat.

I'll never forget the day he had a REAL stagecoach in the shop, shipped by rail all the way from Hollywood, so he could fix the iron-shod wheels. He let my brother and I climb all over it, and pretend we were back in the wild west! :D It was SO cool!
Sunsilver
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:43 pm

IrisBrandybuck wrote:Any breed of horse can be ridden to some extent...whether or not comfortably is another question altogether. :) :hug:

With miniature horses, you just strap one to each foot...

:rofl:

I saw a guy in the park walking a miniature house on a leash. Just like a dog. It was smaller than a Great Dane. The only way to use it as transportation would be in a dog sled.

Maybe Disney would do a movie with a miniature house who wanted to compete in Itidarod. :lol:
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:16 am

Oh, that would be cute!

I know some minis can be trained like seeing eye dogs (seeing eye horses?) and can live in a house.

In fact, I remember hearing about a family that had a full-sized quarter horse in their house.

Ah, I found the book! "Who ever heard of a horse in the house?"

Always...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby SilverScribe » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:59 am

Sunsilver wrote:Scribbles, these are REAL horseshoes, like they used before the game became so regulated.

I'm sorry Sunsilver, I didn't mean to imply that the horse shoes weren't real. I just couldn't imagine that they'd ever be put on a working draft horse if they were that light. The shoes just wouldn't be heavy-duty enough to bear the weight of the animal . . . :shock:

And how utterly COOL to live so close to and actually KNOW a real Blacksmith!! Wow. What a fantastic afternoon you must have had with your brother in that stagecoach . . . now those are the kinds of things that kids these days really are missing out on with the computer game/video explosion. *sigh* And I've read recently that many municipalities are tearing down their outdoor playgrounds - for fear of lawsuits if kids get hurt. Ikey mikey . . . aren't skinned knees and stubbed toes badges of honour any more? :P:D

Egads! Now, I love horses, but I'm afraid I draw the line at the front door. Horses belong in a barn . . . but I bet the book is an utter scream. ;)

SilverScribe

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:00 am

I read some reviews on Amazon and they remarked that the woman has created more problems for herself and the horse than solved. The horse doesn't know how to live/interract with other horses and goes through separation anxiety if she leaves. She's a lawyer now, but had to make special arrangements for her horse to come visit her while she was in school. :roll: Also, she feeds the horse a TON of junk food. We give ours treats every so often of candy or something, but just a little bit at a time...they're just as happy with grain and grass.

Always...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Shadowfax » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:32 pm

SilverScribe wrote:
Sunsilver wrote:Scribbles, these are REAL horseshoes, like they used before the game became so regulated.

I'm sorry Sunsilver, I didn't mean to imply that the horse shoes weren't real. I just couldn't imagine that they'd ever be put on a working draft horse if they were that light. The shoes just wouldn't be heavy-duty enough to bear the weight of the animal . . . :shock:

And how utterly COOL to live so close to and actually KNOW a real Blacksmith!! Wow. What a fantastic afternoon you must have had with your brother in that stagecoach . . . now those are the kinds of things that kids these days really are missing out on with the computer game/video explosion. *sigh* And I've read recently that many municipalities are tearing down their outdoor playgrounds - for fear of lawsuits if kids get hurt. Ikey mikey . . . aren't skinned knees and stubbed toes badges of honour any more? :P:D

Egads! Now, I love horses, but I'm afraid I draw the line at the front door. Horses belong in a barn . . . but I bet the book is an utter scream. ;)

I hear the same thing from my wife!

Shadowfax (who is house broken.....kinda....)
Shadowfax
Ranger of the North

Postby Waxwing » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:19 pm

Boy... Someone said that first image was photoshopped, and I can certainly see the line and the blur on the tail that would make someone think so... but I also found another picture that looks like the same horse, the same people, the same angle of the sun and just about the same location -- which would lend me to believe it probably wasn't photoshopped after all.

Compare the two:

First one: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=350279055042868&set=a.119130034824439.19505.117840554953387&type=1&ref=nf

Second one: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xZ3MtYpa9V8/T1IqbVjQVRI/AAAAAAAAMbo/CADOiz0ZnTw/s1600/akhal-teke.jpg

I think the blur on the tail in the first one is motion blur. I think Akhal Tekes are supposed to have very fine, thin hair anyway, aren't they?
Waxwing
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:35 pm

I don't think it's motion blur, but I do think that there are other explanations for it as opposed to Photoshopping.

And yes, Akhal-Tekes are known for their fine, metallic coats. :)
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Waxwing » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:47 pm

The line, at least, looks to me like there's a part of the pavement that's a different color -- more yellow. The line is from the separation between the paving segments.

*shrug* It's hard to tell anymore... and it's certainly hard to trust that a photo hasn't been tampered with.
Waxwing
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:43 am

Don't those horses have any kind of mane? I don't see where they have one or that it is combed or that it is cut off. Weird!!
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby heliona » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:01 am

I think it's just brushed over on to the left hand side of the horse, so you can't see it. According to Wikipedia their mane and tails are quite sparse (presumably because they are a desert breed and therefore don't need much hair -although saying that Arabians have a decent mane).
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby FrodoTook » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:09 pm

Shadowfax wrote:
would be the fastest zebra in Middle Earth! Or the only one, not sure if they existed there. :?

Shadowfax!

Possibly in Far Harad...along with the Oliphaunts. :)
Last edited by FrodoTook on Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:48 am

We have a Morgan with a short mane. Normally that's not breed standard, but he's not normal to begin with. ;)

(He's full-blooded, just a very strange horse! :rofl:)

Always...

IrisBrandybuck

Re:

Postby Galin » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:07 pm

Hobbituk wrote:Variously, as 'silver' or 'grey'.

It could well have been Tolkien's intention that he meant Shadowfax to be what most people would wrongly call a 'white' horse (he was a clever bloke after all... and was probably well aware of the grey/white conventions of horse colourings!).

But, as I've always said, Shadowfax would be a stupid name for a 'white' horse.

:D

Also, Tolkien described the name Shadowfax as an anglicized form of Old English Sceadu-faex 'having shadow-grey mane (and coat)'.

And while equine-parlance is one thing, Tolkien in his books describes certain horses as white (Asfaloth for example), but Shadowfax is always "grey" or shining like silver. So while a "grey" horse can look white to the eye (considering equine-parlance), should there not also be some colour distinction between Tolkien's horses -- between those which are white (and look white to the eye) and others who are grey, especially "shadow-grey"?

"A great dark-grey horse was brought to Aragorn, and he mounted it." This is Hasufel, Old English hasu "dusky, grey, ashen" "... but their captains and chieftains were upon horses, white and grey." Of Tuor And His Coming To Gondolin, really the unfinished Fall of Gondolin from the early 1950s, Unfinished Tales

I don't doubt that Tolkien was aware of horse parlance, but I still think he meant to draw a distinction in colour (to they eye) between his white and grey horses.

He said... ah... a bit late to the conversation :D
Galin
Rider of the Mark

Previous

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby