Shadowfax?

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Shadowfax?

Postby Chanukah » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:29 pm

Chanukah
Shield Bearer

Postby Sunsilver » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:41 am

It's an Akhal-teke, an Asian breed:

http://www.learn-about-horses.com/akhal-teke-horse.html

Shadowfax is described in the book as being white. In the movie, the horse that played him was actually a grey. Greys have a black skin, true white (albino) horses have a pink skin and blue eyes and sensitive to the sun as a result.

Grey horses, OTOH, are born black and lighten with age. The black skin protects them from the sun. theu usually have dark brown eyes.
Sunsilver
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:01 pm

Wow!!! It looks like a pearlized horse!!! Very pretty!!!!
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Chanukah » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:58 am

Yes very unique looking horse, very rare.
Chanukah
Shield Bearer

Postby heliona » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:25 am

Sunsilver wrote:It's an Akhal-teke, an Asian breed:

Shadowfax is described in the book as being white. In the movie, the horse that played him was actually a grey. Greys have a black skin, true white (albino) horses have a pink skin and blue eyes and sensitive to the sun as a result.

Grey horses, OTOH, are born black and lighten with age. The black skin protects them from the sun. theu usually have dark brown eyes.

You're quite right, Sunsilver. :) Grey horses start off black and gradually get lighter. Most people call grey horses "white" but actually, technically, they are grey. I would suspect that Shadowfax was actually a "white" grey.

The Akhal-Teke is a rare breed and has a lot of conformity issues, so it isn't seen that often outside of Asia (they can't cope with cold temperatures, for instance).
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Hobbituk » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:26 am

Not to be a pedantic book nerd, but Tolkien never calls Shadowfax 'White'.
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:34 am

Hobbituk wrote:Not to be a pedantic book nerd, but Tolkien never calls Shadowfax 'White'.

Pedantic books nerds rule here. :D I've haven't checked, so I'll take your work for that. :) How does he describe Shadowfax, then?

Edited to add: Aha, I've found some quotes. Shadowfax was definitely silver:

By day his coat glistens like silver; and by night it is like a shade, and he passes unseen.

and

Does he not shine like silver, and run as smoothly as a swift stream?

and

But now shall ride him into great hazard, setting silver against black: ...

and

a flash of silver in the sunset, ...

and

his horse shining like silver ...

for instance.

So I'd suggest that a dapple grey horse would be perhaps more similar as in different lights could be both shiny grey/silver and also quite dark. That's of course if we're trying to compare a mearas to a real horse. :D
Last edited by heliona on Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby Hobbituk » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:42 am

Variously, as 'silver' or 'grey'.

It could well have been Tolkien's intention that he meant Shadowfax to be what most people would wrongly call a 'white' horse (he was a clever bloke after all... and was probably well aware of the grey/white conventions of horse colourings!).

But, as I've always said, Shadowfax would be a stupid name for a 'white' horse.

:D
Hobbituk
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:46 am

You're right, Hobbi. I've always thought he was more of a dapple-grey Arabian (mainly because I love Arabians and also their coats can be quite shiny). :)

heliona

Postby Frelga » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:29 pm

Akhal-Teke are gorgeous. I saw a circus show that used them. They really look like living gold. I think some of them also have that metallic silver sheen, which would fit Shadowfax perfectly, but I'm not sure.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby heliona » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:37 pm

Frelga wrote:Akhal-Teke are gorgeous. I saw a circus show that used them. They really look like living gold. I think some of them also have that metallic silver sheen, which would fit Shadowfax perfectly, but I'm not sure.

You're right. Here's a silver grey Akhal Teke - gorgeous, although as I said, they do have conformation problems sometimes.

Edited to add: apparently that photo has been photoshopped and the original horse is actually a bay. :roll: Upon further searching, I can't really find a grey Akhal Teke with a metallic coat - most of the photos of the greys are just like other greys.

heliona

Postby Frelga » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:20 pm

I found this guy, who is pretty much perfect.

Edit:
The site is for the place in Russia that breeds and sells the horses, so I hope the photo it's not too much altered.

More pretty horses here
Last edited by Frelga on Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby heliona » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:23 pm

He is, although (taking the cue from Hobbi and being pedantic! ;)) he's cream as opposed to grey. In fact, he looks like he's got some albino in him (pink skin and reddish eyes). So not Shadowfax. :D

heliona

Postby Frelga » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:32 pm

Well, he would "shine like silver" but I see your point.

This guy has silvery sheen, at least in this photo, and may fit the "silver by day, shade by night" description.

This one is quite possibly the best fit.

And this one is just hilarious.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby heliona » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:55 pm

:lmbo: that last one is hilarious!

I guess the point is that Shadowfax isn't really one horse, but an amalgamation of lots of horses and is the perfect one. :D

heliona

Postby Chanukah » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:52 am

Sunsilver wrote:It's an Akhal-teke, an Asian breed:

In the movie he is not all grey, he is mostly white.
Chanukah
Shield Bearer

Postby heliona » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:37 am

*sigh*

Chanukah, as Sunsilver (and others) explained, horses are called grey even though they may actually be white in colour. They are only technically white if they are albino. So the horse that played Shadowfax (the main one, since there was more than one horse) was a grey, even though he looked white.

As you can see from this photo, the horse has black skin (hence the black muzzle) which shows that this is a grey horse. The main horse that played Shadowfax was an Andalusian which are commonly grey (or white, in non-equine parlance).

Wiki article about grey horses
heliona

Postby FrodoTook » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:56 am

Vanaladiel wrote:Wow!!! It looks like a pearlized horse!!! Very pretty!!!!

My mind was working on a description but I could not capture it in words.

Pearlized...indeed!!!

Thanks Vana.

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Chanukah » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:16 pm

heliona wrote:*sigh*

Chanukah, as Sunsilver (and others) explained, horses are called grey even though they may actually be white in colour. They are only technically white if they are albino. So the horse that played Shadowfax (the main one, since there was more than one horse) was a grey, even though he looked white.

As you can see from this photo, the horse has black skin (hence the black muzzle) which shows that this is a grey horse. The main horse that played Shadowfax was an Andalusian which are commonly grey (or white, in non-equine parlance).

Wiki article about grey horses

That's white from a professional artist... :wink:
Chanukah
Shield Bearer

Postby SilverScribe » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:26 pm

Artist . . . schmartist . . . you're still painting a "grey" horse, even if the paint you use for the coat is light or white coloured.

You're just splitting (horse) hairs, really. :P:D

But since we're on the subject of Shadowfax, I have a general question . . .

Am I the only one who got annoyed that the folks who are paid on a movie set to pay attention to these detail-type things, were absolutely blind to the fact that when Shadowfax first responds to Gandalf's call, he has very, very obvious marks on his chest from saddle/riding tack?

I mean really. If he rarely, if ever, allowed men to ride him, wouldn't he have arrived totally mark free?

Just, y'know . . . sayin'.

:D:D:D
Last edited by SilverScribe on Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby Chanukah » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:34 pm

It's called a movie and many mistakes are made, yes even n the final edited version, there's always room for improvement...
Chanukah
Shield Bearer

Postby basil » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:59 pm

heliona wrote:The main horse that played Shadowfax was an Andalusian

These guys come around every so often. Gonna catch their show next time they're here.

http://www.lipizzaner.com/home.asp

The only special show horses I've seen up close are the Belgians that Budweiser uses. Those beasties are humongous!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-MlXmXPe-4&feature=

Love the bit at the end, for a horse or a human?

b
basil
Mariner

Postby Frelga » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:25 pm

A human, I'm sure. :(

It's amazing that they got those horses stopped with only one guy hanging on to each horse. There is no way it can be done by force - the weight of even a grown male can't be all that significant to a draft horse.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby heliona » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:27 pm

Chanukah, you may be talking from an artist's point of view, but I'm talking from a horse point of view and there's a difference between grey and white. Shadowfax in the film is a grey horse, no matter what colour paint you'd use. That's a fact.

basil, I've never seen the Lippizaners in action, but they're amazing horses.

Scribbles, funnily enough I've never noticed that and that is something that I normally would notice. Are they sweat marks or is it just the hair laying the wrong way? Because sweat marks on a pale grey horse are difficult to get out without washing the entire horse!

Edited to add: Just watched that video, basil. Wow. :shock: I'm surprised that they had all the pairs just standing around the arena, as opposed to being kept elsewhere until they were competing. I watched it with the sound off, should I have had it on? I didn't really understand what you were talking about regarding the end, I have to say.

heliona

Postby Chanukah » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:57 pm

It has some grey elements here and there but he vast majority of the horse is white.

:cavetroll: Now this troll is grey also little bluish
Chanukah
Shield Bearer

Postby basil » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:20 pm

Frelga wrote:the weight of even a grown male can't be all that significant to a draft horse.

No. The Belgian I stood next to was significantly taller than I at the shoulder, and I'm just at 6 foot tall. It was in a pen, you wouldn't want the general public in without some protection. Their shoes are nearly a foot wide.

I watched it with the sound off, should I have had it on? I didn't really understand what you were talking about regarding the end

The announcer at the show was continually asking the crowd to be quiet and sit down to keep the horses calm. And at the end asked for someone to call an ambulance.

I've not seen "War Horse". The one scene I really could not stand to see more than once in "Braveheart" was when the English cavalry charge was met with pointed wooden spikes by Mel's crew.

Well, that one, and the end.

b
basil
Mariner

Postby heliona » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:42 pm

Ah yes, I read the comments later and realised that was probably what you were referring to. :) Apparently no-one was seriously injured amongst that melée, which is pretty remarkable!

heliona

Postby SilverScribe » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:00 pm

heliona wrote:Scribbles, funnily enough I've never noticed that and that is something that I normally would notice. Are they sweat marks or is it just the hair laying the wrong way?

Watch the film closely, and as Shadowfax comes closer, you can see the clear mark of a ring in the middle of his chest, with radiating lines going outwards. It's definitely tack markings and so incredibly obvious . . . the very first time I saw the film I remember thinking "Now if that's a stain, why wouldn't they have at least Photoshopped that off the film?"

I mean, with all the special effects these films had in them, removing those marks via CGI or computer editing would have been easy . . . no?

basil, I kept waiting for that one horse to get more than a little annoyed when he couldn't seem to free his foot from the singletree or whatever that frame thing is called. It looked like it was caught on the edge of the shoe and he kept kicking, and kicking . . . :shock:

I hope the ambulance was more of a precaution than a necessity! :

:D:D:D
Last edited by SilverScribe on Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:40 pm

Each horseshoe for a draft horse weights over 3 pounds and their kick will kill a man easily! They can be ridden but the average horse rider would not be able to straddle them cause they are so wide. You do not want a draft horse to step on your foot either. A regular horse can do some damage if they step on you, but a draft horse crushes your foot beyond regular ability to heal. You would need surgery to put the foot back together. But they are beautiful animals.

Yeah why do they have all the draft horse pairs in the arena when something like this seems very possible. The first set almost did that too! :?

I notice the breast area of Shadowfax and thought it looked like his harness left marks embedded in his chest. I think that to do some CG touch up would have been in order.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Chanukah » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:14 am

You really believe that the horse shoe weights over 3 pounds? That seems a lot no?
Chanukah
Shield Bearer

Next

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby