Shadowfax?

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Postby sandra » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:49 am

basil wrote:
heliona wrote:The main horse that played Shadowfax was an Andalusian

These guys come around every so often. Gonna catch their show next time they're here.

http://www.lipizzaner.com/home.asp

The only special show horses I've seen up close are the Belgians that Budweiser uses. Those beasties are humongous!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-MlXmXPe-4&feature=

Love the bit at the end, for a horse or a human?

b

Been there and seen the show. It was amazing but then I am bias anyway as I used to ride frequently and love horses. :)
sandra
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:08 am

Vanaladiel wrote:Each horseshoe for a draft horse weights over 3 pounds and their kick will kill a man easily! They can be ridden but the average horse rider would not be able to straddle them cause they are so wide. You do not want a draft horse to step on your foot either. A regular horse can do some damage if they step on you, but a draft horse crushes your foot beyond regular ability to heal. You would need surgery to put the foot back together. But they are beautiful animals.

Vana, as far as I know, all draught horses can be ridden easily. They're huge, but not that big. We have a place in the Lake District where you can ride Shire and Clydesdale horses (Cumbrian Heavy Horses) - and they're pretty easy to straddle (assuming you're not tiny!). :)

I remember riding a huge horse, about the size of a draught/heavy horse (I can't remember what breed it was, but I suspect it was a draught horse - it was often used for disabled riders) and it was very odd as their gait is so much longer and slower than the other horses that I've ridden. The thing about draught horses is that they're so gentle and quiet. As far as I know, though, the draught horses here in the UK can be ridden (in terms of width). (It should be noted that I'm only 5 foot tall, so am not the usual horse-rider - I've ridden ponies from about 14 hands to an 18 hand horse. :D)

Scribbles, I shall keep my eyes out next time I watch TTT. :)
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:05 am

I love Lipizzaner stallions...they came to our town many years ago. I'd love to see them again. Their history is also fascinating...did you know General Patton was involved in saving them during WWII? :)

I always figured that what Tolkien was imagining for Shadowfax was a type of horse we wouldn't have here, so, of course, PJ had to improvise. ;) :P

I don't have much to say regarding shoes, except the weight would depend, of course, on the material used, the size of the hoof, any specialized shaping, additions, etc. We never had shoes on our horses, so I don't know a whole lot about the subject.

But WHY is the rum always gone?

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Frelga » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:25 pm

Well, I was able to ride an elephant at the zoo, so I assume it's possible to ride a draft horse. :wink: Besides, aren't they supposed to be the descendants of the horses that the knights rode? I guess the type of the saddle would make a lot of difference.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Chanukah » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:19 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friesian_horse

One of my fav breeds, nice horse.
Chanukah
Shield Bearer

Postby erinhue » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:24 pm

Now THAT is a horse. Absolutely beautiful. 8)
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby GlassHouse » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:52 am

Vanaladiel wrote:Wow!!! It looks like a pearlized horse!!! Very pretty!!!!

I'd say you've hit the nail on the head here, there is definitely some photoshop on the horse in the original picture that gives it that ethereal look. Some soft focus / glow like a not too subtle Orton effect applied only to the horse. Notice not only the super smoothness of the horse but the downright blur in the tail and then look at the sharpness in the girl and the relative detail in her hair.

Very nice, should have either carried over thee same effect to the background or edited it out and replaced it with something else (IMO) though.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:44 pm

Chanukah wrote:You really believe that the horse shoe weights over 3 pounds? That seems a lot no?

From two different sources:

A horseshoe for a full-grown Clydesdale measures more than 22 inches from end to end and weighs about five pounds. It is more than two times as long and four times as heavy as a shoe worn by a riding horse.

. . . and
5 pounds - weight of a Clydesdale horseshoe

It's not a matter of "belief", but fact.

Glasshouse, I didn't notice the things you pointed out the first time I looked at that picture. *shakes head* Amazing what folks can do with Photoshop these days . . .

:D:D:D

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby GlassHouse » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:40 pm

Yeah the tail really gives it away even on a bad monitor.
But actually when I look at it a second time, on a better monitor, it looks like the horse is from an entirely different photo...there's clearly a yellow rectangle around the horse where the edge of it's original photo was. Which is why they (girl and horse) don't look like they belong in the same photo, they aren't.
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby heliona » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:20 pm

You're right, Glasshouse, it does look rather odd upon second look. I will say, though, that the Akhal-Tekes are famous for their metallic coats, so although that photo is Photoshopped, the colour of the coat is probably not far off (if you do a google search for "cream Akhal-Teke" the number of images - which surely can't all be Photoshopped - show their unique coats).

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby SilverScribe » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:59 pm

GlassHouse wrote:there's clearly a yellow rectangle around the horse where the edge of it's original photo was. Which is why they (girl and horse) don't look like they belong in the same photo, they aren't.

Actually, I was going to say that the horse and girl (based on the seamless background) are in the same photo, but the yellowish "box" that the horse is contained in speaks to only that portion of the original photograph being "treated". There is a clear line behind the horse where the curb is blurred inside the box but far crisper outside of it, but there's no gap in the buildings or the water feature in the background.

And speaking of the background, check out the long yellow building right above the horse's back. You can see how the windows of the upper story are in crisp relief, whereas the lower story ones (closest to the horse's back itself) are slightly blurred. The large "grey" door in the middle of the lower story makes it very obvious.

Curioser and curioser.

SilverScribe

Postby heliona » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:34 pm

The shadows do seem to match. However, whether or not it is photoshopped, the colour of the horse isn't too off, I don't think. Certainly the metallic sheen isn't.

I suppose it's possible that the photo is an actual photograph (as opposed to a digital one) that was in a frame for some time, which would explain the yellowing of the middle, and also the blurry bits - dodgy bit on the lens.

heliona

Postby Chanukah » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:01 pm

SilverScribe wrote:
Chanukah wrote:You really believe that the horse shoe weights over 3 pounds? That seems a lot no?

From two different sources:

A horseshoe for a full-grown Clydesdale measures more than 22 inches from end to end and weighs about five pounds. It is more than two times as long and four times as heavy as a shoe worn by a riding horse.

. . . and
5 pounds - weight of a Clydesdale horseshoe

It's not a matter of "belief", but fact.

Glasshouse, I didn't notice the things you pointed out the first time I looked at that picture. *shakes head* Amazing what folks can do with Photoshop these days . . .

Poor horse all that weight!
Chanukah
Shield Bearer

Postby Frelga » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:25 pm

GlassHouse wrote:
Vanaladiel wrote:Wow!!! It looks like a pearlized horse!!! Very pretty!!!!

I'd say you've hit the nail on the head here, there is definitely some photoshop on the horse in the original picture that gives it that ethereal look. Some soft focus / glow like a not too subtle Orton effect applied only to the horse. Notice not only the super smoothness of the horse but the downright blur in the tail and then look at the sharpness in the girl and the relative detail in her hair.

Very nice, should have either carried over thee same effect to the background or edited it out and replaced it with something else (IMO) though.

Photoshop is making people much too jaded! :D Whatever happened to this particular photo (I suspect heliona is right and the artifacts come from trying to fix a scan of a faded print) there is no question that the Akhal-Teke do look just like that.

I've never seen a cream, but the gold is even more stunning. Check out the gallery I linked on the last page, or any number of photos and videos on the Web.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Chanukah » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:03 pm

erinhue wrote:Now THAT is a horse. Absolutely beautiful. 8)

It's an awesome horse saw it in a photo book I purchased about horses....
Chanukah
Shield Bearer

Postby erinhue » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:13 pm

Closest I get to a horse is the ones they have pulling carriages around and through Central Park. I don't know much about horses, but they never did look happy to me. Pulling tourists around The City is no life for a horse
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Chanukah » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:34 pm

So what is the life of a horse then?
Man was made master over all beings, this is a fact. He is not permitted to abuse them, but he is permitted to use them.
Chanukah
Shield Bearer

Postby FrodoTook » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:42 pm

Chanukah wrote:So what is the life of a horse then?

A life no less worthy than mine.

Chanukah wrote:he is permitted to use them.

He can also have empathy for them.

Don't you?

Or is it all about use?

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Chanukah » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:20 pm

FrodoTook wrote:
Chanukah wrote:So what is the life of a horse then?

A life no less worthy than mine.

Chanukah wrote:he is permitted to use them.

He can also have empathy for them.

Don't you?

Or is it all about use?

Well I value human life more then a horse. If I will see this following thing take place My favorite and most loved horse is in great peril and next to it a total stranger human being in the same situation and I can only save one of them, then I will save the human being.
Chanukah
Shield Bearer

Postby FrodoTook » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:55 pm

In your opinion, do you think some horses behave better than some humans?

By that..I mean do they mean and do less harm to others.

If so, is the horse worth saving?

Smaug the Golden.
FrodoTook
Efff Teee

Postby Chanukah » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:15 am

FrodoTook wrote:In your opinion, do you think some horses behave better than some humans?

By that..I mean do they mean and do less harm to others.

If so, is the horse worth saving?

In that moment Im not gonna make phone calls or text messages finding out which one of them is 'better'...Im just going to do the right thing and save the human being.
Chanukah
Shield Bearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:52 am

Chanukah: answering an earlier question...it depends on the horse, but a good life span (average) for an average horse is well into it's 20s. We've had several horses over the years and the oldest lived to be about 36. The two we have now are in their 20s and still doing very good, though the mare has some minor health problems. It has a lot to do with breed and activity too. I'd say a larger horse probably wouldn't live as long as a smaller horse (much like dogs, large breeds tend to live shorter lives.) I'd also guess that a horse that has to do hard work (farming, etc.) wouldn't live as long as our horses, who are occasionally ridden and often treated as big pets.

But a good measure is into their 20s. Having a horse is rather like having a parrot...it's a long time commitment.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby GlassHouse » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:32 am

My brother has a parrot.... :roll:

is all I have to say about parrots.

OTOH, we had horses when I was a kid and I find them much easier to relate to (than parrots). I used to have this one horse who could figure out how to open any gate. If he escaped he never went far, just didn't like being cooped up I guess.

As far as who is put here for the others' "use" I find the measure of a person's worth can often be determined from the amount of empathy that person is capable of having for other creatures. I think it tells you a lot about how they value other humans too.

So in erinhue's example of the carriage horses in the city looking unhappy, I'd say they probably are, depending on how hard they're worked and how they're kept when they're not working. It's not a natural or easy way of life for them to be in a crowded car filled city and further, it's just a tourist attraction - not a necessity. Not like plowing a field or pulling a wagon for commerce was a hundred years ago. Of all the uses for a horse it's probably among the least...um, useful.

And that photo is definitely photoshoped, badly, but photoshopped. Look at the horse's tail, it's a complete blur, especially at the end, then look at the girl's hair, completely different. And the coat, while the other photos of Akhal-Teke's
( a breed I had never heard of before) have a metallic sheen they also show a lot more detail. This horse is just too smooth, it doesn't match anything else in this photo.
It's possible that the yellow is the result of being framed though
GlassHouse
Mariner

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:41 am

GlassHouse wrote:My brother has a parrot.... :roll:

:rofl:

yeah, I prefer a horse over a parrot. :)

IrisBrandybuck

Postby rwhen » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:48 am

IrisBrandybuck wrote:
GlassHouse wrote:My brother has a parrot.... :roll:

:rofl:

yeah, I prefer a horse over a parrot. :)

About a thousand times agreed. Now there are parrots that I guess are cool, easy going and fine enough to have around. But my one experience put me off parrots for life.

My step-father had a blue fronted Amazon that he got when it was not very old. It was cranky, would attack for no reason and dirty/messy as all get out. Yapped at the top of its lungs when it wanted something and my step-father loved him. My step-father passed about 10 years ago, the damned bird is living with his son who promised to not have the bird put down after the old mans death. I pity the son, this parrot attacked him the most.

No parrots for me.

But about horses? They too can live a long time, but to me they are majestic and beautiful. To be appreciated rather than used. We don't have to do that these days.

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby SilverScribe » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:18 pm

Oh, I dunno. Parrots leave far less mess behind . . . ;)

A friend has a cool Parrot named Scrooge. He imitates the "ding" of the microwave and every so often, leans against the bars of his rather humongous cage and whispers, "Psssssst!!! Wanna get a pizza?"

:lmbo:

SilverScribe

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:39 pm

:rofl: I LOVE it! A parrot with my kind of sensibilities! :D

However, our Justin (horse) would probably not only like a pizza, he'd probably call the restaurant if he had digits. :D One vegetarian, double the veggies, please...and an extra order of bread sticks.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Shadowfax » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:08 pm

I'm silver. :P

I have been thinking of having some red racing stripes installed just to jazz things up a bit. Whatcha think?

Shadowfax! 8)
Shadowfax
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:28 pm

Shadowfax wrote:I have been thinking of having some red racing stripes installed just to jazz things up a bit. Whatcha think?

Better red than black. Otherwise, you might be mistaken for a zebra and who knows what sort of trouble you could end up in. ;)

SilverScribe

Postby Shadowfax » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:34 pm

SilverScribe wrote:
Shadowfax wrote:I have been thinking of having some red racing stripes installed just to jazz things up a bit. Whatcha think?

Better red than black. Otherwise, you might be mistaken for a zebra and who knows what sort of trouble you could end up in. ;)

I would be the fastest zebra in Middle Earth! Or the only one, not sure if they existed there. :?

Shadowfax!
Shadowfax
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby