The "I hate winter" thread

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

The "I hate winter" thread

Postby !ISAIAH! » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:18 am

Yep. I hate winter. Why... I'll tell you why. First of all it is always nice that the heating in my house works just fine but when it is -20 celsius is breaks down. Also usually there's no hot water because the water heater can't stand the cold. Oh and someone here apparently likes snow. Did someone forget to tell you that its cold and wet??? Well the kids seem to like it but if you want to go out with them you have to put like 26 different socks and cloves and caps and overalls and still their little hands are freezing. And for some strange reason they still seem to have fun outside while I'm just freezing my #€s off. And don't get me started about the shoveling of the snow. Every darn morning I wake up I hope there would be no snow on my yard... but nooooooo. Once it would be nice just to hop in my car without having to clean for one our... if it even starts up cause its so damn cold all the time. Oh and sorry neighbours, I know you have more time to shovel your snow but I have two kids and they have a nasty habit of running in two different directions so I really cannot clean up my yard like you do. I'm pretty sure they are really proud of their nice and tidy yards... stupid neighbours. And I'm already sorry that the snow from the roof of my carage drops on your nice fence and makes in bend... no I am not gonna fix it up this time... fix your own damn fence, This morning I went to the shop to buy some milk. Of course car was totally frozen so I had to scrape the ice from the windshield. But OF COURSE the scraping thingy broke down. I threw it on the neighbours yard... at least the yard is not that nice and tidy anymore. So I had to drive to the shop anyway trying to see through the 5cm hole I managed to scrape on the windshield. I felt like Stevie Wonder when I drove.

And I'm eagerly waiting for the water pipes to freeze. The kids want to go outside... and it's (surprise surprise) snowing again. Stupid winter. I want my summer!!!

Thanks for listening Torcers... I feel a bit better.

:)
!ISAIAH!
Ringbearer

Re: The "I hate winter" thread

Postby Ashke Verasca » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:29 am

For me summer is horrible ^^ I hate heat! I love most spring, it's most beautiful part of the year. Summer is least liked by me :lol: Winter has pluses, really. But only if you don't drive or work ^^
Ashke Verasca
Shield Bearer

Postby Kaya » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:07 am

I absolutely love Autumn, and I can deal with Winter (Spring though, is a necessary evil to me. Somehow it tires me). But then, we don't have it as bad here as you have. -20? Freezing pipes? :shock:
I agree though, that when you're shoveling and scraping for the umpteenth time, it loses some of its charm. ;) Still, Winter has Christmas, a definite plus. And those long, dark evenings are quite nice, too.
Also writing Arunakhôr, Elenya Elemmirë, Bréhon, Berhelf, Heldred, Kos el-Qadah and Elengurth.

The Dúnedain of the North: The Drake Hunt

A Tale or Two

On a writing adventure with Jaeniver in Scriptorium: Crossroads

Proud member of the Class of '02

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Art by Lane Brown
Kaya
Dúnadaneth

Postby !ISAIAH! » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:57 am

Did I mention that it is really damn dark here in Finland. We get something like 5 hours of sunlight and that is really tiresome. But spring and summer. More light and more sun and warmth... and bikinis. ;)
!ISAIAH!
Ringbearer

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:01 am

It's alright. I like it more then summer, I hate being hot. I could never live in a hot place, I'm way to much of a northerner to tolerate it. :D

Winter the past few years has been pretty tame around here though, right now it's just chilly (I don't even need a hat) and rainy. That seems to be the new normal for winter........
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Jaeniver » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:03 am

I don't like winter that much either. my house is cold. I have just one heating source so every room apart from my living room is cold. The days are short and cold. I much rather like spring and summer.

when are these days going to end. Sigh. I need sunshine. badly
On the road again with Kaya in Crossroads

Ae ú-esteliach nad...estelio han. Estelio ammen.
Jaeniver
Not all those who wander are lost

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:13 am

LOLOLOLOL :roflmbo: Oh Izzy I love you hon!!

I actually feel the same way about winter but we get much less snow then most areas of the world. It is just that it is very cold to me and makes my joints hurt. It makes my lungs hurt too to have to breath it in. Also I have arthritis so scrapping windows in the winter makes me hurt more. I prefer warm weather well over snow and cold. I was born and raised in an area that got lots of snow and I moved here to get away from it. Then there are the stupid drivers who don't get the concept of "Slow down in snow and on ice!" It is not in there conscience to even think that way. They believe that if their vehicle can stop on a dime on bare roads that with 4 wheel drive it will still stop on a dime in the snow and on ice. Excuse me dumb arse, it wont stop on the dime you want it to on snow and ice. :roll: It will stop on my dime and either kill me or make a great mess of my car. I need my car to get to work and the store! I work and do not mind driving in it since I learned to drive in 3 feet of snow but the other folks around here forgot to remember what it is like to drive in this dumb cold stuff. They about get us all killed cause they did not remember their stupid antics last year or the year before that or the year before that.

I love Spring with its new growth and the fact it starts to warm up, but I prefer summer since here it does not get deathly hot either but the other choice is rain and cool. I want summer to last all year but I don't get my wish so I settle for a short snowy winter and lots of rain the rest of the year. YUP, we got two seasons here wet or dry. It is either raining or snowing in the winter and in the summer we might get some nice sunny warmer days that are dry. But that is it!! But it sure beats 3 feet of snow all winter and I don't have to shovel snow. :thumbsup: Mainly cause it wont last long here. But I just need to survive getting to work and back on the snowy and icy days.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby !ISAIAH! » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:29 pm

Dagnabbit... Now I got the flu. Could someone give me directions to Hawaii??? Be quick about it!!!
!ISAIAH!
Ringbearer

Re: The

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:37 pm

!ISAIAH! wrote:Dagnabbit... Now I got the flu. Could someone give me directions to Hawaii??? Be quick about it!!!

http://www.hawaiianairlines.com/

There ya go. Oahu is kinda crowded though. Hawai'i might be a better choice. Oh and if you have over size 9 shoes they might be hard to find :D

If you see any librarian jobs in the paper let me know :D
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby !ISAIAH! » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:42 pm

:D Hah, thanks. :D:D:D
!ISAIAH!
Ringbearer

Postby Ladykat » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:20 pm

I SO agree with you ISAIAH! Winter is my least favorite of all seasons. When I saw your thread, I just had to post this diary for you. I copied it from another board I sometimes post on. I changed / removed some of the saltier expressions. Don't wamt any TOS violations! =:)

LK

Diary Of A Snow Shoveler

December 9: We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the Whole World? Moving here was the best idea I've ever had. Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a boy again. I did both our driveway and the sidewalks. This afternoon the snow plow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life.

December 12: The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment. My neighbor tells me not to worry, we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again. I don't think that's possible. Bob is such a nice man. I'm glad he's our neighbor.

December 14: Snow, lovely snow! 8" last night. The temperature dropped to -20. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is the life! The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again. I didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way. I wish I wouldn't huff and puff so.

December 15: 20 inches forecast. Sold my van and bought a 4x4 Blazer. Bought snow tires for the wife's car and 2 extra shovels. Stocked the freezer. The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that's silly. We aren't in Alaska, after all.

December 16: Ice storm this morning. Fell on my arse on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like crazy. The wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very cruel.

December 17: Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere. Electricity was off for 5 hours. I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to her. Boy I hate it when she's right. I can't believe I'm freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20: Electricity's back on, but had another 14" of the rotten stuff last night. More shoveling. Took all day. &*%$#!!snowplow came by twice. Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing hockey. I think they're lying. Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they're out. Might have another shipment in March. I think they're lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I think he's lying.

December 22: Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white crap fell today, and it's so cold it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to pee. By the time I got undressed, peed and dressed again. I was too tired to shovel. Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter; but he says he's too busy. I think the jerk is lying.

December 23: Only 2" of snow today. And it warmed up to 0. The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning. What is she...nuts??? Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I think she's bloody well lying.

December 24: 6". Snow packed so hard by snowplow, l broke the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch the creep who drives that snowplow, I'll drag him through the snow by his b@lls. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just been! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was busy watching for the &*%$#!! snowplow.

December 25: Merry Christmas. 20 more inches of the *&%$#!!! slop tonight. Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. OH I hate the snow! Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel.

December 26: Still snowed in. Why the heck did I ever move here? It was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves.

December 28: Warmed up to above -50. Still snowed in. THE WITCH is driving me crazy!!!

December 29: 10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30: Roof caved in. The snow plow driver is suing me for a million dollars for the bump on his head. The wife went home to her mother . 9" predicted.

December 31: Set fire to what's left of the house. No more shoveling.

January 8: I feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I tied to the bed?
Ladykat
Between the Worlds of Men and Make Believe I Can be Found

Postby !ISAIAH! » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:54 am

LOL. That's just like me. A few weeks ago it was -20 in here... damn it was cold. I think my fireplace will explode or something. It was really hard to keep the house warm. Going for a cigarette was a real adventure. 2 minutes outside and you could feel your face freeze. The dog didn't want to come outside. The kids were bored inside and so was I. The car didn't start. But we finns are used to this.
!ISAIAH!
Ringbearer

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:27 am

I agree. I hate winter. Especially now that there is a winter storm bearing down on us that will be here by Wed.

Squirrel Lovers Club!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby !ISAIAH! » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:53 pm

The winter has mellowed down a bit now. In a way it's nice cause you don't have to warm up the car before you start driving. But damn it's wet and still cold. Only four months of winter left... Too long!!!!
!ISAIAH!
Ringbearer

Postby Cock-Robin » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:32 am

It's going to be snowing all day today. I hate winter.

Squirrel Lovers Club!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby !ISAIAH! » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:34 am

Well... One week ago we had -20 degrees, now the temperature went below the zero. The last three weeks it has been snowing all the time. Now we have this delightful ice and water slush all over the place. Talk about global warming. The temperatures are all over the place.
!ISAIAH!
Ringbearer

Postby Sunsilver » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:39 am

I hate winter. We had our first really big snowfall last week, a good 8 to 10 inches. Now, normally, I get the creaky old snowblower out, and can manage on my own. But this particular day, I woke up with a really sore back! I couldn't get the snowblower started, and even if I had, I'm not sure I would have been able to use it, my back was so sore. Of course, shovelling by hand was out of the question.

I live alone on 2 acres in the country. I'll hit the big six-oh next year. Do you think I could find a neighbour to help me out? NOOOooo!!

I finally found a young man who lives about half an hour away, who needed some extra cash, but he couldn't come until the next day. I told one of my clients that the driveway hadn't been shovelled, and since he was elderly, he decided not to bring his dog in for boarding. Another client was coming to pick up their dog, and THEY had to park on the road, and walk in. :(

It really really sucks that this snowfall actually cost me business...

Oh, and did I mention my bedroom walls have no insulation in them? Open the bedroom door...welcome to the refrigerator!! (I keep the door closed during the day as one of my dogs likes to sleep on my bed. It does warm up when the door is left open, but most of you would find the room unbearably cold. Fortunately, I LIKE it cool when I sleep. It's nice to snuggle under a layer of blankets and quilts!)
Sunsilver
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:21 am

I hate most of winter.
I also have a heater problem, though it may be a thermostat problem. It is a programable thermostat and nothing I can do seemes to be right to get it to turn the heat up to where I set it. The house has been 60 F for weeks and I can't figure out what to do. When the world wakes up again, after New Year's, I am going to have to call the electrician. Probably I will get a primitve thermostat that actually works. The heater works, as it is a boiler that puts hot water into the domestic water pipes and the radiators. The faucets work fine, it is the thermostat that is preventing the radiators from putting out heat.

Enough griping.

The part of winter I like is how it looks. Snow on the ground and the deck and bright blue sky and sunshine.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby SilverScribe » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:40 am

portia wrote:It is a programable thermostat and nothing I can do seemes to be right to get it to turn the heat up to where I set it.

I had the same problem with our programmable thermostat - the touch panel just wouldn't work anymore so trying to raise the temp and "hold" it on weekdays when I happened to be home was impossible. It would run the program just fine, but there was no way on earth I could change it any more. And the thing was barely 8 years old . . . :roll:

My solution was a new thermostat - this time I bought and installed one with actual "buttons" and not that flat membrane thing. I guess time will tell if this one holds up any better - things aren't made these days with anywhere near the quality and wearability of years gone past.

Sunsilver - I like it cool to sleep too and thank heaven for down duvets with flannel covers! :D

As for hating winter - I can't say that I LOVE it, but I don't *hate* it either. It depends totally on how cold it is and whether or not we get enough snow to make for decent cross-country skiing. This year, we got an early and persistent cold snap (daytime highs around -20C ) which FINALLY ended this past weekend. Now we're slightly above seasonal at -3C or so. And we got a decent start on snow (started snowing early November) so the skiing has been good and I've been making the most of it. ;)

However, I could wish for a slightly shorter "colder" season. My ideal winter would be snow and cold starting December 1 and the grass greening up by April 1. I need to move to the coast . . . ;)

:D :D :D

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby RohirrimNed » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:28 pm

I love winter when it's snowy and lovely.
However, this winter has just been miserable! I just got a horse and I couldn't have picked a worse time! Up at 7am most days, knee deep in mud with a grumpy horse who doesn't want to walk in mud! In fact, it was so muddy he went lame for a few days. Then the added poo on top of that. The wet hay that triples in weight. My wet boots with a hole!!

I just want it to be summer again!
Look at my poor boy, Ned (right) with his friend Tegan (left)
RohirrimNed
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Sunsilver » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:56 pm

Scribbles wrote:Sunsilver - I like it cool to sleep too and thank heaven for down duvets with flannel covers

So, how cold is it in your bedroom, Scribbles?

Most mornings It's about 58 to 60 F. when I get up. Of course, the first thing I do after putting on my cozy dressingown and slippers is TURN THE THERMOSTAT UP!

I then add fresh wood to my airtight fireplace, and get it cookin', then turn the furncace down to about 50 F. It's an oil furnace, so I use it as little as possible as it costs over $1,000 bucks to fill the oil tank! :shock: On REALLY cold nights, I have 2 quilts and 2 blankets on the bed, plus I may turn the baseboard heater on. I LOVE my microfiber fleece blanket. It is SO soft, and holds my body heat so well, it's almost like turning on an electric blanket!
Sunsilver
Ranger of the North

Postby misabella » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:42 pm

As far as the darkness of winter is concerned - I bought a "Happy Light" last fall and so far it is working out *really really* well. :thumbsup:
misabella
Ranger of the North

Postby Ladykat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:30 pm

misabella wrote:As far as the darkness of winter is concerned - I bought a "Happy Light" last fall and so far it is working out *really really* well. :thumbsup:

"Happy LIght"? :Q

Oh, I SO need one of those! I've often said I should have been born an animal that hibernates all winter. When It's cold, and gloomy and miserable outside, all I want to do is sleep.

I hate the snow and the ice and the slippery roads and sidewalks. I don't mind the cold so much, as long as it's not subzero outside. If it could just NOT SNOW, I don't think I'd mind winter so much.

That, and if it were a good deal shorter! =:)

LK
Ladykat

Postby misabella » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:40 pm

I'm not in a snowy place (and pretty glad of that - don't know how you do it!) but in a wet & nasty, dark & cloudy, low-ceiling-no-horizon type of place (the Pacific Northwest). This light (I bought it online from the company, Verilux) has been GOLD for my disposition. I'm hoping it continues to work, as it'll be gloomy through the 4th of July here most likely - even when the days lengthen the clouds don't go away.
misabella
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:32 pm

Scribbles, would you pack me in your suitcase when you go to Hawaii this year?

Squirrel Lovers Club!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Ladykat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:40 pm

Cock-Robin wrote:Scribbles, would you pack me in your suitcase when you go to Hawaii this year?

ME, TOO! ME, TOO!! :D

lk
Ladykat

Postby portia » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:25 pm

I just found out from our local weather site that the low for the year 2012 was -1.6 F. On Dec 31.

So much for sunny Southern California.
It is supposed to be warming up this week to something closer to our normal winter, which is 20s or 30s F during the night and 40s F during the day. It will seem like a heat wave.
Luckily, my car is in the garage and I have the best reason to stay in--I can't drive.
A friend brought me a prescription refill today. Blessings on her.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby laureanna » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:40 pm

For the thirty years I lived in Alaska I hated winters. I was too stiff and cold and over-bundled-up to enjoy walking or cross-country skiing outdoors, and it was often too icy for safety. Gardening was limited to the short three frost free months. The dark made me very depressed. Day after short day of relentless black, white and grey was hard to take. Months of 40 below is no fun in F or C.

So I'm still thrilled that I moved out of Alaska 7 years ago and moved to California. I still don't like the shorter days of December, but now that the solstice has passed, the days are getting longer, the hills are getting an unreal shade of bright green, and the primroses, daffodils, and tulip trees are blooming. :)
laureanna
Ranger of the North

Postby prmiller » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:06 pm

Bewildered at Hating Winter

Perhaps I lack the irony
to write on wintry hate,
for there has been a plethora
of winter hate...of late.
Slack-jawed I stand, Canadian,
at all this pent-up rage,
you should come up, spend time with us,
you'll write a brand new page.
For tell me, who would writhe in wrath
to sing, White Christmas now?
We even cheer appearances
of great Zamboni's plow.
Behold that scar Canadians
have from the old to young,
when we found frosted fence or pole
to lick ... once...with our tongue!
We still have hockey ... sorta... here,
and curling? It's a hoot!
We practice sweeping through the year,
and that you can't refute!
So surely there are things to love,
I count them on ... one hand ...
but still...it is our heritage...
in this deep-frozen land.
Away! Away! with all this hate!
Embrace the cold and snow,
with Cold F/X and Kleenex here,
you'll keep that red-nosed glow!
I understand, though, you may wish,
to keep your bitterness,
but when brief summer passes by,
you'll yearn for snowiness.

Sigh...all puzzled...
Parm
;)
Remembering Harry Lehotsky...a valued colleague and friend. Without him, I would have never finished my Master's degree.
(See Wikipedia article)

prmiller
I am Parm: Servant of Eru, Bard of Imladris

Postby Ladykat » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:43 pm

Sorry to disagree with you Parm. but I never, never NEVER wish for winter during the summer months. Other people have said that to me when they hear me complain about the snow--"oh, but once summer is here, you'll wish for winter,,,"

NO, I DON'T! Never have, and probably never will.

I admit that sometimes when It's 80 plus degrees, and the humidity is so high is feels like you can swim through the air, I will wish it was a nice, non-humid 70 degrees.

But wish for winter? No. Not me.

LK
Ladykat

Next

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby