The "I hate winter" thread

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Re: The "I hate winter" thread

Postby Morwenna » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:43 am

hamlet wrote:Pfft!

You're also all the people who rush to turn on their Air Conditioners the minute the weather rises above 70 degrees in the spring I'd wager!

Nowadays, people just can't tolerate anything except the comfortably climate controlled "happy median" of a huge apartment building or corporate office.

Our office is FROZEN!! :shock: Yes, I love the "happy median" and I'm not shy about admitting it. Trouble is, nobody agrees on what that is!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:18 am

I also like the happy medium. I especially complain when any temperature is above 85 F.
Luckily, I moved to a place where we haven't gotten above 90 in 5 years, and I do not think we got above 85 F last summer.
If I have to have an extreme, I prefer cold, as one can always put on more clothing, turn on space heaters, etc.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby erinhue » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:45 am

Ya wouldn't be saying that after a good New York City winter, trust me :wink:
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby hamlet » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:28 pm

erinhue wrote:Ya wouldn't be saying that after a good New York City winter, trust me :wink:

NYC or State of NY?

City winters are sissy.

State, not too bad. I'd love to be there for one.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby erinhue » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:53 pm

I live in the city so nice they named it twice, New York, New York. The state is really just The City with a few suburbs stuck to it. :D

erinhue

Postby hamlet » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:36 pm

Heh. Never liked the City, really. Never my thing.

If I could do it and still have a decent sushi/japanese place, korean place, great market, and such, I'd move to where I was 100 miles away from the nearest human being. But I'm too attached to those things, so I'm staying here in NJ.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:04 pm

The City can get d**n cold what with the wind chill between those tall buildings! Even small cities have that feature; I know, I live in one.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:50 am

I was in semi-rural NJ one winter, but everyone says it was a mild winter.

I live in mountains, and my house is at a windy spot. It gets into the single digits, at least overnight, and the wind blows.So, it can get cold. But, hey, what are electric blankets for?

However, if it gets too bad, I only have to drive one hour to get into a mild SoCal winter, so I can escape.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Ladykat » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:21 am

Northeast Ohio.

Three words: Lake Effect Snow.

Hate it!! :x

LK
Ladykat
Between the Worlds of Men and Make Believe I Can be Found

Postby hamlet » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:50 am

Portia: Define "semi-rural NJ". Where at? Winters in Southern NJ are quite mild comparitively. Winters in my neck of the woods can get quite stark at times. We're up on the shoulder of a mountain, but happen to be on the Eastern side of it, so we're spared some of the worst. But there's nothing like waking up for work and looking at the outdoor thermometer reading of "3 degrees" to really make you wish you didn't have to go outside.

Lake Effect Snow: I've lived through that a couple times myself. It can truly be obnoxious, for sure. But here in NJ, we have a curious phenomon called "The Nor'Easter." Essentially, a hurricane in winter that can dump epic amounts of snow, ice, and a combination of the two on you. Essentially, Sandy was a Nor'Easter that came a couple of weeks too early to dump any snow on us instead of just lots of wind and bits of rain. The real storm I remember was in . . . 96 maybe? . . . a storm that dumped about 4 feet of snow on us in one night, and then another, maybe, foot and a half over the next week. That was a fun storm, having to shovel out in layers. Took them three days to be able to actually get to the street to plow it.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Gamgee Wench » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Well....winter is coming! 18 degrees here this morning....here being upstate NY. Wait, since we have people from THE City in this thread, upstate would mean anything north of the George Washington Bridge. I shall rephrase. Northern NY. At the base of the Adirondack Mountains. 30 minutes north of Albany. I really crack up when people in NY state say upstate and they are referring to West Chester....silly humans. But such is life....any time I say I'm from NY State to people out of state they want to know if I like living in the city. I live 3 hours from the city. Silly humans. OK, I'll stop now. :wink:

I actually like winter, really like winter. But....only for a few months. Come March or April, it gets very weary. And sadly, being in northern NY, March is not a pretty season....and it lingers into April. That is a very rough time for some.....but spring always comes. :)

And Hue, you are so eloquent with words. Such a gift you have. Hope all is well in The City!
Gamgee Wench
Mariner

Postby erinhue » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:47 pm

By hell's bells, all is well here in The City. Lovely ta see ya oh Enchanted One :twisted:

erinhue

Postby portia » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:33 pm

Semi-rural NJ, was a description of Fort Dix, at the time. Now, I do not know.

I was not visitng Manhattan at any cold snaps. One time, I recall walking around there and the air was so still, you could have convinced me we were in a large sound stage.

Here it is just about always windy. The early AM is about the only non-windy time. We used to have a wind chill chart on the wall, but it made the chill worse, so I took it down. of course, the wind is part of why I do not need air conditioning.
We had a recent snowfall and it took one more day to melt off. Winter is coming.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:54 pm

I sort of think of semi-rural NJ as out in the Pomptons somewhere, where one of my friends comes from. (Actual rural NJ is is the south, am I right?)

This morning the temperature was hovering around freezing. I changed to a coat from the jacket I'd been wearing for a month or two. Boy, am I glad that we have that featherbed! (We use it for a comforter.) :) And just a couple days ago the weather was seasonably cool, in fact Halloween night was rather mild, though with an occasional drizzle.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby hamlet » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:58 am

Wow, if you guys are describing the Pomptons and Fort Dix as semi-rural, then I'd love to see your description of upper Sussex and down in the Pine Barrens. Especially the Barrens actually.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby hamlet » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:02 am

This is not a double post.

Move along, citizen.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Ladykat » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:18 pm

Right now it is raining, and they're predicting a 20 degree drop in temperature overnight. :roll:

I really didn't want to get out the winter coat just yet. :(

LK
Ladykat

Postby hamlet » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Likewise here, though they're careful to say that it's not going to snow yet. Just cold.

But we desperately need the rain around these parts. Hasn't really precipitated any in two months and everything is so dry one spark will send it all up.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:31 am

I too prefer the warm to hot temps. I do not own an air conditioner and where I work does not have one either. So I am acclimated to hotter temps and love them. Though I must confess that where I live is more temperate then other places. But then that is why I moved here! ;D
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of Calma she passed away on 07/05/19 ! RIP dear lady! :rose:
Primula Baggins passed away on 02/27/19
Cockrobin has passed away on 02/18/2019 Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend!
oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby siddharth » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:27 am

I love Winter!

I hate Summers! Most of it. :x
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:30 pm

hamlet wrote:Wow, if you guys are describing the Pomptons and Fort Dix as semi-rural, then I'd love to see your description of upper Sussex and down in the Pine Barrens. Especially the Barrens actually.

Actually there is a large section on the Pine Barrens on Ft. Dix. The main parts of Ft. Dix used to have actual buldings.
Our neighbor in quarters used to run the "Night infiltration course" out in the barrens.
I read somewhere that the Pine Barrens were the only place in the first 13 colonies that had LOST population since the Revolution. Can't blame 'em.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby hamlet » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:54 pm

portia wrote:
hamlet wrote:Wow, if you guys are describing the Pomptons and Fort Dix as semi-rural, then I'd love to see your description of upper Sussex and down in the Pine Barrens. Especially the Barrens actually.

Actually there is a large section on the Pine Barrens on Ft. Dix. The main parts of Ft. Dix used to have actual buldings.
Our neighbor in quarters used to run the "Night infiltration course" out in the barrens.
I read somewhere that the Pine Barrens were the only place in the first 13 colonies that had LOST population since the Revolution. Can't blame 'em.

Honestly, I've never been to the Barrens but once, and I don't plan on going back. Just all kinds of creepy down there, and one of the few places in the US that I know is actually completely off the GPS maps and essentially unexplored.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Ladykat » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:50 pm

Well, we are getting snow. They're predicting 2 to 4 inches. :x

I'm going to go hide under my bed now.

LK
Ladykat

Postby portia » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:14 am

We are getting low temps overnight, but high 40s F in the daytime, or higher, so the ski areas can't make snow: it will just melt the next day. I think they might be getting ready to worry, as they want snow by Thanksgiving.
A lot of our population has part-time, on call, jobs at the ski slopes, so they are nervous.
I I weren't concerned for the local economy, I would just as soon let snow wait until January.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby hamlet » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:19 am

Last couple of days have been unseasonably warm, but that's going to end tonight they tell us.

Last night, we got over an inch of rain supposedly, which is good since NJ is officially now entering a drought. Again.

Can't wait for winter snows, honestly.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Ladykat » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:54 pm

The two to four inches they were talking about the other day never happened, at least not where I live.

But, oh joy, oh joy, We're supposed to get hit this weekend. Whether it snows or not, it's going to be really cold. Thirty is the high? :Q

LK
Ladykat

Postby erinhue » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:53 am

The temperatures here are bouncing around like a pinball warm then cold then warm again. It was 60 degrees just a couple of days ago now we're in the 30's. and high 50's for the end of the week. I hate winter but I kinda wish it would make up its mind and either come or go :P

erinhue

Postby hamlet » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:47 am

Yeah, I'd like to settle on just one temperature. Supposed to be close to 60 by Friday, then not climb above freezing on Sunday, then bounce back again early next week, and maybe a snowstorm on Tuesday.

Nature is getting schizophrenic about it.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:31 pm

Well the cold of winter has finally hit our area. I mean it has been cooler then it was this early fall but now it is bone chilling bitter cold in my opinion. It feels like a wind is coming in off a Glacier up in Canada. It is coming south from Canada but with the beautiful clear skies it is colder then a witches.... we you know what I mean. Thank heavens Ryan got my van taken in and got the heater and fan fixed last week.

We have had so much rain that septic systems are leaking or were leaking up from the ground with the ground water so high from the torrential rains. But now it has stopped and cold has settled in. I hate winter and cant wait for the balmy breezes to come in again in Spring!! I wish I could hibernate all winter, but alas I have to work to help keep the bills paid. So I will put on my mittens, pull on my wooly scarf and zip up my snugglely coat and trudge off when I must.

I hope things settle soon for you folks on the East Coast!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of Calma she passed away on 07/05/19 ! RIP dear lady! :rose:
Primula Baggins passed away on 02/27/19
Cockrobin has passed away on 02/18/2019 Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend!
oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Ladykat » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:00 pm

We're supposed to be getting this major wave of cold air from Canada.

Any and all Canadian TORCers?......Please keep your cold air. :)

LK
Ladykat

PreviousNext

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby