Older than 60 -- so there!

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Re: Older than 60 -- so there!

Postby rwhen » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:04 am

Nappsssiessss Precioussss? I wish I could, I swear it. *sigh* And run all that way???? What??? Are you bionic or sumethin'??

My schedule got switched from a night shift yesterday to a longer mid shift.....I was to have off two days, but already got called in for tomorrow and am still scheduled for Thursday, off Friday and closing Saturday. I think they are trying to kill me!!! Mostly I am pretty sore in the feet, ankles, knees and back area after a long stretch but with a half way decent sleep I am okay to go.

I went to the clinic today and have an appointment for the 21st. I am going to ask about arthritis for the pain I am having. But it might just be a case of old age and being woefully out of shape. NO Tooks, I can NOT run with you. I am lucky to walk the aisles of the large grocery store. ;)
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Yes Ayslhyn, I do still remember.

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Ninui » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:26 pm

No need for depends or poise yet and hopefully never. That has got to be embarrassing . Do have problems with arthritis. mainly in the hands and fingers. Pretty sure it is in the ankles as well :x
Guess I shouldn't complain but it still can hamper full movement at times and I do forget I'm not 30 anymore and try to do what I once could do with ease! Oh well.Such is life and the way it goes for me now. Am feeling good and have no overly serious problems going on at the moment. Have broken a leg and finger in my lifetime and do hope not to again. Wasn't fun at all !!
I don't like grocery shopping. Never have. I do go early to avoid crowds and do big shopping once per month. Spot shopping at the local store when I thought "there was more than that." Since it's
pretty much just Josh and I there's no need to go more often.
I don't go running or jogging. I do think my knees would snap in two if I did. Walking along the river edge with Darla Dog is just fine now-a-days and even she is slowing down a bit. :cry2: . I don't know exactly how old she is 'cause I adopted her and her age was estimated to be 6 to 8 years. I've had her for about 2 years now. A Chihuahua mix and simply adorable.
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:50 am

Ninui, I hear ya on having to be smart about what I can and can't do any longer. I wish I had the energy and strength of a TOOKS....but sadly not so much any more. I don't know if I will ever need Depends...but I would be okay if that was what was needed.

Hey you have a doggie!! Love and adore doggies. Especially cuddly ones. If I am ever fortunate to be able to really have and take care of a dog properly, it will be a Corgi. Small, compact, smart and easily trainable. (they are very determined to be the pack leader, so ya gotta start early) I am no dog whisperer but have done dog training for some friends. I think mostly it is about the right kind of attention. Dogs MOSTLY want attention. *shrugs*

Going to be getting ready in a few for back to back mid shifts before my next day off. Wish me well!! :)

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:03 am

*wishes rwhen well on the job today*

I started running 40 years ago, and have been pretty good about staying in shape the whole time, more or less. :P

Swimming is a good exercise too, but takes more everyday planning and money.

Ninui, Darla dog sounds adorable. I often wish I had a pick-upable dog instead of the 65 lb lug who is sleeping on the floor right now.
Last edited by Tookish_Traveler on Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oktoberfest!!!!

--------------------------------------
(for Calma)
---------------------------------
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Ready to crest the hill

Postby prmiller » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:00 pm

There is no over-the-hill, I hear,
for when you crest the hill, you find,
such splendid vistas call you on,
and you leave foothills far behind.
Such heights! Such peaks! Such splendid scenes,
await we travellers of years,
for wrapped around us, confidence,
protects us from the cold of fears.
I journey on--and oh! such a path!--
I cannot wait to see beyond.
There shall be inns and resting spots
to visit friends both wise and fond.

August 25! Here I come!
Parm the approaching senior.
:-)
I love the worldI am in...
prmiller
I am Parm: Servant of Eru, Bard of Imladris

Postby rwhen » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:09 am

Oh hello Parm dear friend and all best to Mrs. Parm and the Parmette's..... (tho they are hardly Parmette's any longer) Thank you for the lovely poem. Can you share your age? I am thinking this month you turn 60? Or maybe retirement age of 66 (at least in the States)...? Either way, I wish for you the exact poem you left. New life, new vistas awaiting around every corner. Great to see you. Please stop in more often.

Ouuuufff. Work yesterday was about as I expected....longer than normal and by the end I was waddling out of there like a duck. But this morning legs and feet are better and that is good...work again today for another mid shift before tomorrow off. :D

Tooks I would LOVE a big ol' doggie or two layin' about. Back in the day when I lived on 80+ acres with my step father I had two Lab Retriever mixes....loved them. I will probably spend my last years on this mortal coil in apartments so a huge doggie to lay on is out of the question. The most recent doggie I had was a mini doxie named Gussie who was everything. So lovely, quiet, well behaved....just like Mary Poppins, practically perfect in every way. I had her for many years. Now I can't bear the thought to have another doxie. So....Corgi's are my next choice. The Queen's doggies. :D

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:46 pm

For rwhen.

:D
Oktoberfest!!!!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby rwhen » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:15 am

gasp

Is that your Corgi????? How cute is that doggie!!!! <-------not a question!

I could just squish it all day long. :D

Thank you!!

Been feeling fairly well lately. We'll see how it is after tonight and I get home so late. ;) Hope all our over 60's folks are scootin' about.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:13 pm

Oh heavens, no. Not my corgi. I have a huge beast of a dog. 67 pounds. :P

Oktoberfest!!!!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby rwhen » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:20 am

Oooooo I love that doggie too!!! Is he secretly a lap dog? ;)

Truth be told, there are few doggies that I don't love....but there are a few I don't. I won't mention them as some are lovers of the breeds.

Okay...feeling a bit sore this morning. Feet and ankles particularly.....I need to get some of those gel shoe inserts and see if that would make a difference.

*wobbles over to the TVM*

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:16 pm

Yes, he imagines he is a lap dog. You cannot move if he decides to crawl into your lap. :roll:

Taking him for a walk is a good exercise for weight training. My arms are very strong. ;)

Anyone want to borrow him???? :D
Oktoberfest!!!!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby rwhen » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:26 am

You bet!!! He would probably walk me rather than the other way around, but I love a doggie that I can lay all on......doxies are a bit too small for that. You doggie looks happy to me.

Feet are better today after working yesterday morning shift and then taking yesterday with my feet up and resting. But TODAY the gel inserts will be bought.

Big week....a full medical on Thursday.....ultrasound, EKG, blood draws and "other" samples" ;) I need to get all my meds renewed and add a few if they allow it and get a paper signed so that I can get my meds for free from the manufacturer.

ARGHHHHHH I feel older this week. :P

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:19 pm

PARM what a lovely poem for us!! Thank you!! I do enjoy the views because I sure can't do the climb very easily any more. My love to Mrs. PARM too. How are the Parmettes doing these days?

rwhen I totally understand the pain. I find it hard to walk from one end the house to the other and when my breathing is bad, I can barely get to the bathroom and back to bed. I want to walk but get so out off breath even on oxygen most of the time. I am now a user of the electric carts at places like Costco and Lowes because they are such large stores. I am even looking into getting some motorized vehicle for at events to make it easier to get around then too. It just sucks that I used to walk a lot and loved doing some climbing on trails. It's just not possible any more.

Tooks I love you furbaby!! He looks like he thinks he is smaller then he actually is. :D I only have kitties but they are enough work for me.

Ninui I have arthritis too. Back in 2004 my left foot started hurting so bad. It would swell up to twice the normal size. My primary care doctor would never look at it because by the time I got to go see him my ankle was not swollen because I had been off of it for a full day. I could not walk at all at night. I could not put pressure on it to walk to the bathroom. After 2 years of this my Rheumatologist sent me to an Pediatrist and he determined in under 5 minutes that my foot was already fusing itself. So I had to have surgery to fuse the arch and the ankle so that it would stop rubbing and aggravating the arthritis. I don't have full movement in the foot anymore but no more pain! Thankfully! I know I would be in trouble to try and run now!

Sounds like you have a wonderful furrbaby too Ninui!

I think Corgies are adorable. I just don't have room for a dog and I had a dog that I loved to pieces and when he had to be put down, I just took it very hard and have never been able to fall in love with another dog.

Good night to you all!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of Calma she passed away on 07/05/19 ! RIP dear lady! :rose:
Primula Baggins passed away on 02/27/19
Cockrobin has passed away on 02/18/2019 Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend!
oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rwhen » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:05 pm

Vanadarlin' :hug: Yeah...that has to be just so difficult to get around with the shortness of breath. Sorry for that my friend. You have had your share of medical issues through the years that's for sure. Time for you to get a break.

Today I feel much older than I am....for some reason I just haven't been able to fully wake up and get with the day. Brother Jim is coming to bring me a shower curtain rod and I dread just getting presentable to see him.

Ah.....such is life. But it is all good. I really shouldn't complain. I know that there are so many more with much more suffering than I.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:14 pm

Shower curtain rod??? Did you get your AC, rwhen????
Oktoberfest!!!!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby rwhen » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:33 am

Yup. Shower curtain rod and he did bring it and I bought the plastic round curtain holders and now it is all up and good. (it was just nailed to the walls on both sides) And NO he never installed the A/C that I already have here. *sigh* Now the weather seems to be turning towards the cooler nights and nicer days.....only in the upper 70's for the whole of the forecast. All good with me.

Off for medical stuff this afternoon and two days of work....so poor feetsies will get a workout.

How you doin' Tooks?

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:59 am

It is still hot today - high will be 90F. :P
Tomorrow (after storms tonight?) it will be cooler. Yay!

The dog got a 3+ mile walk this morning, so now it is time to do stuff like laundry....cleaning... the fun stuff in life. :roll:
Oktoberfest!!!!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:34 am

rwhen I went to Urgent Care on Tuesday night and got antibiotics for the chest congestion. The Xray showed no Pneumonia so that was a relief. The doctor agreed that my going 4 days without my oxygen that long weekend probably acerbated my COPD but I will be fine. It's been two days now and I am feeling much better.

Yes the weather has taken a turn the last few days with drizzle and cloudy skies and lower temps. Today the sun is shining but I noticed the morning dew on the grass and windshields. I am so not ready for fall weather but I know it is coming. At least this year I do not have to go out in the cold. I get to sit sipping hot tea, wrapped in a blanket, reading and book or watching movies. No dealing with the cold outside anymore then I have to. My sweet China loves to snuggle with me watching movies and loving the blanket. :D

Tooks hang in there with the weather hon. I hope that it isn't too warm for you.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rwhen » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:54 am

Tooks, soon enough the area where you live will be some of the most beautiful in the country with all the leaves turning. Fall is looming fast. And those dreaded chores. Unfortunately they are very patient, they will just wait and wait and pile up until we have the energy to get them done, but they never go away. ;)

Vanadarlin'!!! You take good care of yourself my friend. Ooooof. It is good to know that you won't have to get out in the winter and clean off the car to travel to work and such and can enjoy the indoors and stay warm.

I did go to the medical appointment and it went great. The doctor is a real sweetie. He refilled all my meds and added two more and changed one. Listened carefully and didn't have any sort of judgement at all. I think I am going to like it there. The fact that it is literally less than five minutes from where I live doesn't hurt either.

Okay ..... work today mid day and tomorrow closing. Wish my feetsies well!!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:13 pm

rwhen, today we all took a 5 mile walk along a rail trail. I saw a lot of fall flowers out and blooming... goldenrod, asters just starting. :D

I love the Fall. Can't wait. Too bad winter comes next. :shock:
Oktoberfest!!!!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby Ninui » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:58 pm

My love for small dogs is my aunt's fault. She had Carin Terriers and Chihuahua's all the time while uncle had a Shepard Collie mix very reminiscent of your big lug, Tooks. Saw his picture and had to blink 'cause I thought I was looking at Hughie for a second there. He was such a good boy. Have to make a dentist appointment soon. Hopefully for next week.
Good temperatures today supposed to last a few days then back up again. :P Thought I heard the old bones creaking when I got up today
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:09 pm

rwhen you and me both about my not going out to work anymore. I miss being with people but am content. I can still go places if I wish but I am feeling more like resting right now to get over this bronchial irritation. The meds are doing the trick. One more day of prednisone and a few more days of the antibiotic but I am sleeping better and coughing less and less. I am glad you got some satisfaction at your medical appointment this time. Nothing worse then a doctor who wont listen.

My little hummingbirds seem to sense the weather changing too. They are huddling around the feeders today like they will be gone tomorrow. It won't be. Ryan and I keep it going all winter long for my babies!! Several will leave but I usually have two or three that stay. To keep the feeder from freezing I bring it in after dark and have 2 I change out during really cold freezing weather.

Ninui good luck on the dentist appointment hon. I need to get back in by October to get a crown on a tooth that I broke a year ago. I have wanted to get it done but the old filling is still there and the dentist was okay with me putting it off till I got my disability. So that will now become a priority! I have a great dentist so I am not afraid to go either.

Tooks I am so jealous of your walks! I sure do with I could too. Someday maybe I will get to again. We used to walk in the evenings during the summer and on weekends during the winter since our weather very rarely gets below freezing here.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rwhen » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:11 am

Ninui....I tend towards smaller doggies too.....if I do ever get one again it will be a Corgi. Though my heart is always with the doxies!! *sigh* Good luck at the dentist. I no longer have to worry for that....full dentures. Not proud of that, but they are easy now that I have good ones that fit well and I like how they look much more natural than the ones I had before.

Vanadarlin', humming birds, they are so cool to spend time watching. Hope your bronchial thing is improved now. And that in time you will be able to get about more and more. I am praying for ya. :hug;

Feeling pretty good after taking a day off yesterday and doing absolutely nothing at all. LOL except making supper. Which was easy enough breakfast for dinner.

Hang in there ya oldsters!!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:58 am

W'e're not old! We are getting better, aged like fine wine! Okay okay stop laughing you guys!!!

I still don't feel any older inside then 16 but my body laughs at me now and keeps telling me that it's a wonder I am alive! I am just thankful I am!

rwhen my bronchial issue is improving considerably! Thank heavens!! I am not on oxygen 24/7 anymore right now. But I sure keep it with me as well as my inhalers! :hug:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rwhen » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:01 pm

Vanadarlin' good to read that. I went to the doctors office and picked up two new meds today, one for a bladder issue and one to replace one of my high blood pressure meds. Then over to Freddies (Kroger for everyone else) to pick up four more prescriptions. My living room table looks like a small pharmacy!!! ARGH!!! But it all keeps me going.

Now I still need to find some good shoe inserts that will make it easier to stand long hours. Work tonight and tomorrow night. Wish me well. Poor sore footsies to follow.

See ya, ya old oysters! (don't even know what that means)

And Vanadarlin' :hug: I hate to admit it but I am feeling every inch of my age lately. Inside I also feel much younger, but the outside wakes me to reality pretty dang fast. The mirror doesn't lie. ;)

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:30 am

rwhen I hear ya on that one!! Had an appointment myself today with the Gastroenterologist! The primary care physician thinks I need a colonoscopy. Thank heavens the gastro doc says with my family history we can do a different test colorblock or some such first and if everything comes back good then I do not need the other unless I start having some issues. I did not want the invasive procedure anyways. But he made a comment that when we get to "our age" there are certain tests they want to have performed. :P This is the first time I have had a doctor consider me an older citizen. :(

I thought 63 was the new 40!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rwhen » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:42 am

Well my friend Vanadarlin'.....I have had the up the nether side camera invasion twice now and it isn't bad at all. In fact I also had a camera down into the stomach at the same time. They put you in twilight sleep so you don't feel a thing and it is over before ya know it and it is better to have this checked. Should start in the 50's but certainly by the 60's. I was clean as a whistle both times.....and if colon cancer is caught early there is very high chance of getting rid of it....so I hope that you will do the procedure. :hug:

I have been off the boards for four days straight working. I had two scheduled days and two "call ins". All good for my paycheck, but rather bites on the old body. I swear on Saturday I felt my shoulders get so tight I thought I would pass out. Which is something I do not do...but I make it through.

Hope that every ancient person :P who posts here is feeling well and chipper as can be. :D

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:20 pm

I am feeling well and chipper. :)

Of course, I did not just work 4 days straight. Nosiree, Bob. Not this old lady. :P
Oktoberfest!!!!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby rwhen » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:35 pm

No you just walked about the planet instead. ;) That should keep you pretty chipper. Myself? I would need a day off after walking miles like you do. :D

Off again today and most likely will be called in for tomorrow and work for three days after that. *sigh* It's a rich persons world, I swear.

But all good, have to pay the bills. Today I ordered some new sweats from Amazon for like $7 each. Can't wait to see what I get. :P

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:17 pm

Hey hey I made it back!!

I have had the sigmoid so they know that there was no problem before. Now it is just to keep up on that and be sure I still am. Not my kind of party anyways but a necessity!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

PreviousNext

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby