HHEEELLLLOOOOOOO the home alone thread.

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Re: HHEEELLLLOOOOOOO the home alone thread.

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:58 am

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Tookish_Traveler and 0 guests

Google Bot???? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

*slinks away*

December.

---------------------------------

Watch my (low budget) movie
here!!!

For more fun, watch this video! ->

Star Trek meets Monty Python!!
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:45 am

Google Bot...rather like a GoBot, but not nearly as interesting... ;)

Hamlet: I wish it did! No, we both need to write letters to reopen a grievance, and we need to write to the Department of Public Welfare (now the Department of Human Services, but it will always be DPW) and request a hearing. And I want Rob to contact his doctors and ask for letters from them as well.

Ugh.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby hamlet » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:46 am

*begins packing bags to move to England* Can't possibly be worse than here . . .
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:08 am

Tell me, do you like rain? ;)

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby hamlet » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:14 am

Yes, yes I do.

Especially since NJ is still hurtin' for it lately. Dry and dusty here, and when you live in a forest full of those combustible trees and undergrowth, you get real edgy about fireworks and where idiots throw their cigarettes.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:28 am

It doesn't rain any more in England than it does in lots of other places. ;)

And yes, with regards health care, it is a lot better here, thank goodness! There are many things we have to worry about, but fortunately health care is not one of them.

Good luck, hamlet and Iris. It sounds horrendous. I really feel for you.
Image<-- Merry Christmas!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby hamlet » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:58 am

Heliona: Thanks. And really, much of the time, life here in the States is just great. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the US. Pretty much all of it. And, to be fair, in Manwe I argued long and loud that socialized medicine would be a death knell for the US, but that was back when health insurance actually did what it was supposed to do: i.e., pay 80% of your bills while you paid the 20%. It worked out most of the time even if sometimes you got smacked around for something big.

Just seems like the last 20 years it's been going downhill and into the ditch for reasons that are hard to identify since it's so complicated. Especially if you involve mental healthcare into the fun because we haven't actually gotten over the shame factor of it yet. When I grew up as a young kid, mental illness was shameful. Something not talked about. A "rich person's disease" for oh so many reasons. Nowadays, we're beginning to lose that stigma, just not fast enough and we still don't understand the thing yet and insurance companies hate it worse than they do chronic conditions. So, it just adds a fun layer of frosting on top of the turd cupcake as it is. :P

But, I also absolutely adore the UK. Been there twice, really wouldn't mind living there where wondering about that old wall over there becomes a different exercise. My friend, now an immigrant to the US, remembers growing up in a house where the back wall of the building was, in fact, a Roman wall that the family was not allowed to paint, cover, or put holes in. I find that unutterably cool.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:35 am

Yes, the old aspect of living in the UK (and really Europe) did come home when I've been in the US and heard people gushing over how a building was old when it was built in the 1800s. To me, that's young! The university I went to was founded before Columbus landed in the US. :D

When I was in Florence, walking around looking at the original sculptures just out on the street, it really hit home to me just how old our civilisations are, particularly in comparison to such a young country like the US. :)

I've lived in the US, and did consider trying to stay out there for a while, but in hindsight, although I made great friends, I'm glad I didn't. I don't think that having the misfortune of being ill should potentially bankrupt you, and although our healthcare system is not perfect, luckily that doesn't happen here (we have similar issues in mental healthcare, although it is slowly getting better. Too slowly, but at least there is some improvement). Also, as a woman, I do object to the lack of women's rights in the workplace (maternity leave/pay immediately springs to mind). The UK is by no means perfect and there are lots that I feel need to improve, but still, it's not that bad. ;) (And the weather can be gorgeous sometimes, too! ;) )

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby hamlet » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:05 pm

The US might be young compared to other nations, but we're rather proud of our history. At least, the parts we talk about in polite company, which I imagine is similar to how the UK does things. There are parts of England's history that I'm sure you downplay now and then just as we in the US don't really like to bring up certain things. Like how we got mad at Europe as a whole and promptly invaded Mexico. It made sense at the time! :P
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:45 pm

Actually, we tend to be quite open about our torrid history. Of course, there's a lot of it. :D I think perhaps because we have so much history, we can admit to the horrible bits because they're not necessarily so close to home, if you understand me. We take the long view.

You should be proud of your history (well, most parts ;) ).

heliona

Postby hamlet » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:42 am

Oh, we are. It's just that some of it is a little, as you say, "close to home" and a little of it isn't quite history yet.

Genocide is one of those things that just . . . *shudder* . . . not pleasant conversation.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:19 am

No, it isn't.

I think that a lot of Brits don't really understand their history when related to the wider world (in terms of the Americas, and the Commonwealth). Since I've done a lot of travelling, I probably more aware of it than others. But since they are our ancestors (or not, as the case may be) we don't necessarily feel directly involved in that history like I imagine some Americans would do. I doubt there's not a country that hasn't done some horrible things in history.

heliona

Postby Aravar » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:51 pm

Non nobis Domine sed Nomini Tuo da gloriam
Aravar
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:45 am

As a history student (two degrees in it!) my biggest complaint is when people refuse to see events in the context of the time. I remember trying to explain to a girl why Vietnam initially made sense...stopping the spread of communism. She said, "Well, it didn't spread!" I and said, "But you know that NOW. They didn't know that THEN." And she couldn't understand what the difference was. Her coworker took her aside and pretty much told her she was an idiot. :rofl:

I also complain when people think it isn't worth learning, and then we have people who say it's a good idea to repeal the first amendment because other people's feelings might get hurt....

Okay, I'm dropping this!!!

hamlet...I remember the days when our insurances worked the right way too. A lot of things got out of hand...shareholders thought that the point was to make money, not help people; patients thought it was okay to sue doctors for their own stupidity, or for things the doctor couldn't help (yes, sue the ob/gyn because your child was born with a genetic problem. It's all his fault!); judges that refuse to rule on common sense and so on. We did this to ourselves and now we're paying for it in spades.

Now, on a totally unrelated question...why on earth doesn't the worship team at my church learn new songs? They sing the save five songs Every. Blessed. WEEK! Argh!

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ladykat » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:39 pm

IrisBrandybuck wrote:Now, on a totally unrelated question...why on earth doesn't the worship team at my church learn new songs? They sing the save five songs Every. Blessed. WEEK! Argh!

Teach 'em the words to "Rock of Ages."

The Def Leppard version. =:) :P

LK
Ladykat
Between the Worlds of Men and Make Believe I Can be Found

Postby hamlet » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:06 am

Iris: Count yourself lucky. The folks at my church stopped singing 20 years ago. That's when I dropped out entirely and never went back. Mrs. H went there for a service not long ago to see if it was a church she wanted to attend going forward and told me it was the dreariest, dullest service she'd ever been to. Like Vatican II never happened. "A bunch of Catholics mourning their faith and wondering if they have time to get a coffee in before they have to run their kids to CCD."

Over the weekend, spent the whole of it running junk to the curb first out my parents' garage attic (seriously, stuff had been up there for 40 years and never touched!) and then out of inlaws' garage and basement (Lord are they packrats!). So much junk and so much fending off the usual vultures the minute something hits the curb.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:37 am

LK: :rofl: Sometimes our pastor will sing Amazing Grace to the tune of House of the Rising Sun...but not in church. Then he does Gilligan's Island.

hamlet: good point. My church is Christian and Missionary Alliance and a few years ago they started to move towards more contemporary services. Some of the churches rebelled. Some, like ours, compromised with two services. The traditional service has hymns, the contemporary service has...seven eleven songs. Seven lines repeated eleven times. Okay, that wasn't nice, but sometimes that's what it feels like. And it wouldn't be so bad if they were in tune...the lead singer is quite sharp, a couple of the others are very flat...I guess they never learned how to tune with each other. :( I just go in my office and turn on Youtube and find a soundtrack or something to listen to.

When my former boss died earlier this year, I attended my first Catholic funeral. The fun part was, the protestants stood out like sore thumbs! Especially when saying the Lord's Prayer...we have an extra part that Catholics apparently don't say, and got caught. ;) Margie's brother is a Monsignor and he did a very lovely service, crying a little bit, along with everyone else. I miss her terribly some days. :(

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:05 pm

I understand what others are saying about churches with their dreary services of music. I have found me a church that I have started going to last month and love the music, it is more like The Newsboys, Mercyme and others of that genre. I love the peppy music and we even sang a song last Sunday that I knew from an old hymn but it was to new music and very much more uplifting. I don't want a church that does anything but this church has a great Bible/Christ centered message every week and combined with the music is much more effective to move the spirit. It is a non denomination church but they use the scriptures and have a sheet so that you can follow his message along in your Bible.

One of the messages we had recently was the scars that Jesus has and why He though it possible continues to have the scars. It is His testimony to the believer that He paid the price for your sins, it is a testimony to the unbeliever to show that it was eternal and wont be washed away or forgotten and it was a testimony as Jesus stands before God on our behalf that He paid the price for our sins and so they can not be held to our account any longer. Very moving message though I am sure I did not do it justice in my telling.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:53 am

Vana, that's wonderful! That's the most important part, that they are Christ centered and reference the bible. Our pastor often says, if you can't find what I say in the bible, get rid of me! ;)

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:26 pm

Indeed! :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Ladykat » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:23 pm

It's almost 11:20 pm, and I hope the idiots in my neighborhood are finished with their stupid fireworks already! :x

I don't know why they do that. Shooting them into the sky where they burst into pretty colors is one thing, but setting them off just to make noise??? Never understood that.

I hate it and so do the cats. Figs has been in hiding since they started, and Sindarin keeps following me around, looking at me like, "can't you make it STOP??"

Would that I could, kitty. Would that I could.

LK
Ladykat

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:18 am

heh.

The Google-bot is here with me again.

:shock:

December.

---------------------------------

Watch my (low budget) movie
here!!!

For more fun, watch this video! ->

Star Trek meets Monty Python!!
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby hamlet » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:42 am

Mrs. H and I were lucky yesterday. Our neighborhood was rather quiet really despite a few folks setting off some noisemakers and such. Mostly by about 8:00 it was silent as a grave, which is a good thing.

Looking forward to Saturday which is when my town theoretically will hold their fireworks. Barring rain. Which is in the forecast.

I'm actually hoping for the rain. =:)
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:50 am

We were going to see fireworks in Altoona, but they were canceled due to the weather. They were rescheduled for Saturday. State College still had theirs, but it's more than an madhouse over there, so we decided to just go home.

LK, did you give them lots of love?

I'm sitting here being lazy. I need to go hang clothes out, but I just don't want to go outside. Ugh.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:51 am

We were home early enough on the 4th to see all the fireworks in our area. I love living in the country because fireworks were forbidden in the city or towns.

But this week we are off to go to the Scottish Highland Games today!! Lots of men in kilts, highland dancers, dogs going through their paces and Pipe and Drum corps. I love these games and am anxious to see what the vendors have brought to buy too. Love the sights and sounds!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:04 am

Men in kilts! :thumbsup: ;)

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:45 am

Yes indeed Iris there were loads of men in kilts!!! One of them lives here with me. He bought his kilt in June and loves to wear it.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby siddharth » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:14 am

Hi!
I was just wondering if there's any news of rwhen.

It's been like 2 or 3 years since I last heard from her?
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:16 am

Not here. The person to ask is Vana, and she's easiest to catch over at the TVM.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ladykat » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:48 pm

I am thinking about getting on Facebook. Anyone out there who has a Facebook account have any advice?

Like how to set up protection, block unwanted people, etc?

LK
Ladykat

PreviousNext

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby