Recommitting for 2018, How is your fitness going?

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Re: Recommitting for 2018, How is your fitness going?

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:28 am

We have made it to another year or should I say, through another year!

I am recommitting because of health issues that I can no longer ignore. I need to get back to working out and walking so that I will feel better and my body will fight illness better.

It's been 2 years ago next month that I was put on oxygen so that I can move around and not get worse, my lungs are not well. I made the mistake of smoking many years ago and it has come back to bite me in the backside majorly. I am Chronic Asthma COPD. Last year I was diagnosed with Diabetes and that I have been able to get under control and am working diligently to live and eat better. I went from a 7.5 to a 6.1 in the first 3 months and maintained that through June of 2017. I just got the A1C test again on December 22 and have now achieved getting it down to 5.9. To let you know how good that is, prediabetic is from 5.7 to 6.4. So on medicine I am almost able to register non diabetic or even prediabetic. That is our goal to have it that controlled.

But I still need to lose more weight and get my figure back. I have not had an hourglass figure in many years and would love to get it back. I am not getting any younger but would like to look my best.

So who will commit or recommit with me to improve our health and well being? Please come join me this year and let's be the best that we can be. None of us are perfect and I don't expect us to be but we can sure support one another and encourage one another to hang in there through tough times and feeling like we might not make it. I need all of you and I am not afraid to say it!!

So let us have some fun this year! Share in what way you are working out or what you are doing to improve your health. I know a few years ago CockRobin got himself a nearly new kitchen set up and really lost a lot of weight. I am still so proud of him!!

I am proud of anyone who takes the steps to move forward and treat themselves like they are worth the effort!!
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Ladykat » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:42 am

Nahh, I'm not worth any effort. :thppt:

LK
Ladykat
Between the Worlds of Men and Make Believe I Can be Found

Postby Bilbo25 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:37 pm

I Just recently purchased new bicycle with the of aim losing returning myself to a healthy weigh of 190 pounds. My fitness level took a nose dive after I shattered my left leg in 15 places and spent a year in a cast and a safety boot.
Bilbo25
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:15 am

I can imagine! :shock:

My husband's boss was in the process of losing weight, and doing very well, when he was hit and run over by an SUV. They said what saved his life was his weight (over 300) and his Harley. But he's not been able to walk well since then (2013) and... Then a couple months ago he fell and destroyed his other knee...

I need to get motivated. Part of my problem is depression. *sigh*

<------ The TVM is going on vacation!

Cats were once worshiped in Egypt. They have never forgotten this.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Ladykat » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:38 pm

IrisBrandybuck wrote:I need to get motivated. Part of my problem is depression. *sigh*

I hear ya!

Right there with ya!

LK
Ladykat

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:13 pm

Okay so let's all recommit and support each other through the good and the bad. I know I am not prefect so I will slip and slide every now and then but I will strive to keep moving in the right direction!

Are you all with me then?

Good for you Bilbo25 for getting a bike, I hope that you find it does all you wish and that you can get the time to stick with it!! Sorry to hear about the bad breaks in your leg! OUCH!

Iris I know that depression can be a tough hurdle to get over but I promise that if you get moving, either walking, biking or just moving more, that you will find your depression will lessen! Natural endorphins kick in when you get exercise. Trust me I have to face that little demon in my own closet of myself.

LadyKat you are too!!! Would dearly love to see you get more involved with your own health, none of us are getting any younger....... well maybe I am!!

Maybe if we get this thread active with our accomplishments and attempts to get moving, we can get others to join us!! :clap: :horse: :hug:
Last edited by Vanaladiel on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Bilbo25 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:24 am

I took my first ride yester and it went without incident so that bodes well.
Bilbo25
Ranger of the North

Postby Ladykat » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:14 pm

Vanaladiel wrote:Maybe if we get this thread active with our accomplishments and attempts to get moving, we can get others to join us!!

Sounds like too much work. :sleep: :P

LK
Ladykat

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:59 pm

We are worth it all the way hon!!!! Priceless and enduring!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Ladykat » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:38 am

Vanaladiel wrote:We are worth it all the way hon!!!! Priceless and enduring!!

Well maybe you are.

Excuse me while I go eat a couple pounds of chocolate. =:) :P

Just kidding!!

LK
Ladykat

Postby Ladykat » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:39 pm

I was planning to restart my exercise program (again!) this past Monday.

I thought I'd ease back into it.......just a few minutes on the elliptical and maybe some easy stretches.

So then on Saturday, on my way to Comic Con, I trip and fall.

I fall HARD!!

And mess up my left knee. :(

Now it's all I can do to limp around, and I have to wear a knee brace almost constantly.

I give up!

LK
Ladykat

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:04 am

Don't give up LadyK!! Just get well and then take it slow!

I have been down with bronchitis and sinus infection for the last 2 weeks and have not been able to exercise at all. I have been spending the first week in bed and sucking oxygen tanks just to breath. This last week I have been able to work but still attached to oxygen tanks 24/7. Hopefully it is getting better and then I should be able to get back to doing something for my health again. I have been on antibiotics for the last week as well as Prednisone. Sure makes me tired fighting to breath but tonight I have been able to be off it for about 4 hours. Getting excited about that because I have to run up to Bellingham to get my tanks replaced. I went last week for 24 tanks and tomorrow I have to go for another 24 tanks. Usually the 48 tanks last me for almost 2 months. This time they have lasted me less then a month, I suppose that tells you how much oxygen I have had to have to keep breathing.

I hope everyone else is getting along better right now! Spring is just around the corner and then summer so hopefully we are all getting over any winter funk that will keep us down.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:31 am

I've started working into it slowly again. First I just did yoga movies with the Wii, tried a couple new ones, to get the muscles in my back stretched. Then started working in some aerobic and strength exercises. Every time we say we're going to start walking, the weather turns! Today, we've got about 3 inches of snow.

LK: You can still do streatching and some strength stuff with your arms. Just take it easy. :hug:

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:39 am

Yoga moves, not movies. :rofl:

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:06 pm

Iris I am glad to see you join us again!

I am finally feeling much better. I did some moving today at a friends house as well as more moving about at work. Yesterday I cleared some shelving units from the store floor and got them upstairs to store the racks. I was worn out but it felt good to be able to do stuff again without gasping for air. I am so ready to get back to living and doing stuff. :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Ladykat » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:22 am

IrisBrandybuck wrote:Yoga moves, not movies. :rofl:

Awwww, I was gonna run right out and buy one. :P

IrisBrandybuck wrote:LK: You can still do streatching and some strength stuff with your arms. Just take it easy.

Unfortunately I can't, not the strength stuff anyway. When I fell I tried to break my fall with my arms, so now my wrists and elbow joints hurt, and my upper arm muscles feel like I HAVE been lifting weights.

Really heavy weights. I am very sore.

I could do the stretches I suppose.

I just sound SO enthusiastic, don't I? :D :P

LK
Ladykat

Postby Ladykat » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:25 am

Vana---glad to hear you're doing so much better.

It really sucks when one can't do normal, everyday things for whatever reason. (Like an injured knee. :roll: )

LK
Ladykat

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:15 am

:hug: Goodness!!

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:21 pm

Thank you Lady Kat!!

Do what you can and just take it easy. I refuse to lift heavy weights of any kind. I need to stretch and do some resistance training but weight lifting is not for me. I have bad joints in my shoulders and knees.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Ladykat » Wed May 09, 2018 9:30 am

Ladykat

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed May 09, 2018 9:48 am

I had started a regular routine, then I started at the Post Office and I'm out of it. But I found my fitness tracker and I've been wearing it again. I walk a lot around that little post office! and Rob and I have been trying to do some walking. I hope when I get more used to the routine I can work the DVD back in...the strength training especially was rough but worth it.

LK: :rofl:

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri May 11, 2018 10:34 pm

I am just getting over a severe cast of Chronic Bronchitis! I have not been able to work even due to struggling to get enough oxygen just to breath. I started working again and am moving more but I need to get back to using the treadmill and my bands and exercises that they taught me in Pulmonary Rehab. I want to get back in better shape. Luckily even being on Prednisone again I did not gain any weight.

I am proud of you for not giving up but working on how to work more movement and exercise into you daily schedules. **hugs** :clap: :hug:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:06 pm

Are any of you using something specific to help you with any weight loss? I mean like walking so far each day, eating a special diet?

I am starting a Keto diet and Ryan is joining me so that we both can get into better shape. We both love veggies and the like. Our hardest thing will be giving up pasta and breads. But there are so many different foods that are in the diet that I am hoping beyond hope that we will succeed on this. It will lower our blood pressure, suppose to support healthier for diabetes and all. Wish me luck on this. :D I am actually looking forward to it.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Previous

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby