2017 and our New Fitness Goals Let's Recommit!

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Re: Recommitting to fitness through 2015!

Postby heliona » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:15 am

Ouch, hamlet! :O Not really a side effect women have to worry about too much since we all wear bras. ;) You need to get some nipple guards. :D

I've just done my first lot of HIIT training on my rowing machine. Sheesh! I'm exhausted. It was only 15 minutes from beginning to end (5 reps of 42 seconds of intense workout, interspersed with light exercise) but I couldn't have done another rep of the intense stuff. Since it isn't very long, I'm hoping I'll stick to it - three times a week. I must also make healthier choices food-wise! But I'm having porridge with berries in the morning for breakfast, which I think is good. Keeps me going for a long time. :)

Good luck, everyone!
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:21 pm

I can't believe I'm confessing this... ;)

I had something similar happen on vacation a couple weeks ago, hamlet. I have a swimshirt I got from Land's End and for some reason it expands in size in the water. Well, the water movement (the ocean was pretty rough all weekend) created friction and I was in some serious pain by the time we got back to the hotel. No bleeding, but I think a little longer and I would have. I ended up buying my first bikini in order to wear the top!

What heliona said is good advice...your wife can probably find you some.

Rob and I took an unanticipated long walk yesterday. We were trying to find a lost cemetery and probably walked over a mile total, but didn't find it. I felt pretty good, if hot due to the sweater I was wearing. :D

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Ladykat » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:49 pm

Never had that problem even though I don't wear a bra while exercising.

Maybe my exercise routines aren't long or intense enough. :)

LK
Ladykat
Between the Worlds of Men and Make Believe I Can be Found

Postby hamlet » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:43 am

Eh, there are worse things that can happen. Some bacitracin or such like will probably help.

And, at least I haven't gained weight in the last 48 hours, which is a start. Had a healthy-ish supper last night which I think contributed to that fact. Now if I can keep it up. Some scrambled eggs and toast for supper with some spinach might do nicely. Makes a tasty sandwich, especially if you add some tomato and the like.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Ladykat » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:24 pm

I worked out yesterday AND today. As I said before, it's easier on weekends.

But I am determined to not miss a single day this week. I've got to break this cycle of start--stop--start--stop.

I know that isn't doing me any good at all.

LK
Ladykat

Postby heliona » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:47 am

I've done two lots of HIIT - I'm enjoying it, sort of. I mean, it's hideous when I'm actually doing it, but after fifteen minutes, it's all over! :D I was meant to do my third session over the weekend, but I came down with a cold. :cry2: It's rather frustrating - hopefully I'll feel better soon and can get back on the exercise bandwagon.

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby Ladykat » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:54 pm

Got my exercising done this morning. Did the same yesterday.

Another reason I like weekends. :D

LK
Ladykat

Postby hamlet » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:43 am

I'm the exact opposite. No exercise on the weekends, just the weekdays. Weekends are particularly slothful if I can at all manage it.

Running around like mad today. Enough that it probably counts as a second session in the gym for the day. And, yet, the scale tells me that the numbers are increasing slowly. Jerk lying scale.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Ladykat » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:28 pm

No exercising tomight. :x

See, that's my problem. Some nights when I get home, I just can't seem to force myself into it.

Tonight for example, I was so sleepy all day at work, and when I got home, I fell asleep during the news and missed the weather forecast. And it was only about 5:30 at the time.

Maybe I'm coming down with something? I tend to sleep more when I don't feel well.

LK
Ladykat

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:50 pm

I have been getting more exercise time in lately. I spend 1 1/2 hours vacuuming the church building every other Friday. I walked up three flights of stairs today (three times). I am vacuuming and washing windows at work 3 times a week as well. Then at my other job I am doing my best to do more walking and getting away from the cash register to put things back on shelves or help customers find things through out the store. I feel better for doing more, now I just need to add some work outs or walking on the treadmill too.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Ladykat » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:58 pm

BUMP!

This thread was way down! Guess no one's getting fit lately. :P

I know I'm not, unfortunately.

LK
Ladykat

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:22 am

I don't know what I'm doing. :)

I did get the elliptical where I can use it the other day. I've been trying to get the living room organized, despite my husband and with the help of my cats (Moses supervises, Pharaoh "helps") and it meant wrestling a 100+ pound cat tower (maybe it weighs more, I don't know). So I hope to start using said elliptical soon.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ladykat » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:31 am

Iris---if you keep wrestling the 100+ pound cat tower, maybe you won't have to use the elliptical! :P

Sounds like that would be quite a bit of exercise.

LK
Ladykat

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:11 pm

My sweet hubby bought me a Fitbit for Christmas. Yes I asked for it and I am enjoying it. I have set some goals and have finally exceeded some so I am going to up those step goals so that I get more steps in each day. I am eating more salads, veggies and fruits as well a some good low fat protein each day. I am cutting carbs so that my body will be working better and more efficiently!

I have been to see many doctors over the last two years trying to get my breathing issues under control. Also trying to take a more active part in my good or improving health. The Cardiologist had me get some blood work done in November for my appointment this coming Friday. I saw another doctor last Wednesday for my general overall health. He got the results of the blood work and discussed it with me. My liver function, Kidney functions are great! My cholesterol is good but my Triglycerides are a bit high. My blood sugar was too high so he sent me in for an A1C test (I believe) for seeing if I am diabetic or pre-diabetic, He told me he would send me the results in the mail unless there was something wrong. Well, they called me on Friday and said I need to get in and have an appointment this Wednesday as well. So it looks like I might have diabetes if what he commented on at the last appointment. He did however, put me on Prednisone for a 12 day stint to get the eczema under control or at least to try and curtail the inflammation and it is helping. But unfortunately Prednisone ups ones blood sugars so he does not want me on it for long.

He did get me an appointment with another Dermatologist to get a second opinion on my eczema and see if they can not find the cause or something to help me get that under control too. I have been broke out since a year ago October and my legs are getting scarred from the rash and inflammation. It feels so much better right now on the Prednisone, the itching has almost completely subsided and the rash is getting pale. I am finally hopeful on this front.

Now for the exercise, I am still vacuuming the Ark (Childrens Church building shaped like the ark) every other Friday for about an hour and a half. It is a work out! I am walking more at work and with the Fitbit reminders, if I am sitting still too long it suggests that I get up and move. I am drinking almost a gallon of water in a day and feel well hydrated. I have stopped snacking at work and that should also help.

I am ready for 2017 and much better health and attitude about Life!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Re: 2017 and our New Fitness Goals Let's Recommit!

Postby heliona » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:51 am

Vana, that's great news (about moving about more, not so much on the health front, but at least you're getting some answers). :)

I'm now on a lifestyle change. Nearly a year on from the unusual results of my brain MRI, I've got some answers. I have high cholesterol (I am genetically pre-disposed to it) and a fatty liver, which explains the abnormal liver function. My next appointment with the consultant to discuss the results is in March, so in the meantime, I'm determined to lose all the weight that's been creeping on over the past ten years. I'm making dietary changes to combat the high cholesterol, and that will hopefully also help me lose weight (which will help the fatty liver). I'm also taking vitamin D pills, as my levels were low in the summer, so I was put on some pills, but since in the winter, here in the UK, we don't really get any chance to get any vitamin D from the Sun, I figured it wouldn't do any harm. Particularly since my liver isn't functioning quite right right now. Right now the house is a bit of a mess (full of boxes, as we've just moved house), so I can't physically get at my rowing machine. However, unpacking is an exercise in itself, and once I've cleared the rowing machine, I'll get back to using it. :)

So, here's to a healthier 2017. :) :drink: <- nice refreshing glasses of water, obviously. ;)

heliona

Postby hamlet » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:06 pm

Still going to the gym every day. Still working out and trying (and failing) to eat better (it's too tough to say no when those cookies and pies and cakes people bring in come by).

Still, managed to gain about 10 pounds overall from where I want to be. I think I hate my body. It's just too difficult to lose weight now.

Blargh. Irritation. And holiday eating.

*climbs back on the treadmill*
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Ladykat » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:54 pm

I'm old.

I'm fat.

I'm ugly.

Thank goodness I still have my sense of humor. :P

LK
Ladykat

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:13 pm

My maternal grandmother died of diabetes and I do not want that fate for myself. So I am choosing to be proactive in treating it. I am eating more salads, simple fruits and trying to not eat outright carbs. No breads or potatoes and fighting to find good lists for food that is acceptable and good for diabetes diets. I am sure they will have me see a dietitian for getting a program of eating set up. I am checking my blood sugars a few times each day and they are high! Not thrilled with this! I will get my weight down and follow program because my life depends on it!

Today I got in 6006 steps and am pleased with that. I am working up to 10,000 a day and soon hope to make that a low goal and move above that! :thumbsup: :drink: Cold Fresh water is great!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby hamlet » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:02 am

Ladykat wrote:I'm old.

I'm fat.

I'm ugly.

Thank goodness I still have my sense of humor. :P

LK

I guarantee that you are not at least two of those!
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Ladykat » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:37 am

hamlet wrote:I guarantee that you are not at least two of those!

Which two? :P

Or do I get to pick? :wink: :D

LK
Ladykat

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:13 pm

LK, do we need to hunt you down and slap you? ;) :hug:

I did some elliptical today...whoo, that's tougher than it looks! I didn't so so much, but a little at a time, eh?

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ladykat » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:19 pm

Just stating facts people.

But if you're going to hit me, I'm going to run away.

LK

Iris---if the elliptical proves to be too much, maybe you could waltz around with the cat tower some more. :P :wink: :D
Last edited by Ladykat on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ladykat

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:51 pm

LadyKat you quit putting my friend down! I do not approve of you calling yourself names. There is too much negative in this world already. I find you very sweet and very likable. I would dearly love to get to meet you in person and give you loads of hugs!!! You are a great person and a fantastic lady!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Ladykat » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:53 am

Vanaladiel wrote:LadyKat you quit putting my friend down!

I'm not. As I said, just stating facts. :D

LK
Ladykat

Postby Ladykat » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:39 pm

OK back on track here.

Can anyone recommend any good exercises for toning the arms?

Maybe a website or something I could checkout, or a book? It's easier for me to follow if I can see a picture instead of just having the exercise described.

Someone? Anyone?

LK
Ladykat

Postby hamlet » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:57 pm

There's all kinds of things that are good for toning arms. Rowing machines, pullups, free weights, etc.

The easiest that I've seen are weights that you attach to your wrists while you do other things or exercise in other ways (like jogging or whatnot). It helps to add just a little resistance without killing you.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby notlistening » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:48 pm

There are resistance bands that might be the most gentle and then you could move up to the tougher things, LK. I, too, feel like a UFO myownself at times. (Especially when all my friends are younger and much prettier.) But Vana is right, you are a wonderful, lovely person whom I'd like to meet as well. :hug:
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Ladykat » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:17 pm

I do have wrist weights as well as free weights.

Maybe I'll try strapping on the wrist weights when I'm just cleaning or doing laundry or something.

Couldn't hurt.

LK
Ladykat

Postby Ninui » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:02 pm

Small things like that,LK DO work very well. And please. No more putting your self down. You are a wonderful & kind soul.
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:38 pm

I have resistance bands as well as small hand weights and a book (one of printouts of how to do the exercises) that I got at Pulmonary Rehab that show the proper way to do them. I enjoy it and it opens the muscles and expands the chest or rib cage a bit for a good stretch. Be careful using ankle weights and wrist weights if you are doing much walking because they change your balance and stride and can do more harm then good, if you are not careful. Be safe in whatever you do.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

PreviousNext

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby