2017 and our New Fitness Goals Let's Recommit!

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Re: 2017 and our New Fitness Goals Let's Recommit!

Postby Ladykat » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:59 am

I don't use ankle weights. Several years ago, some exercise guru I was watching on TV said ankle weights could put extra strain on the knee joints and cause all kinds of problems, especially if one wears them while jogging or doing aerobics.

I don't need any extra knee problems.

LK
Ladykat
Between the Worlds of Men and Make Believe I Can be Found

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:33 pm

Me either!

Well since seeing the doctors last week I have lost about 7 pounds. I know most of it is in my diet watching carbs and sugars and drinking loads of water. I am eating more sensible meals and eating healthier snacks of carrots sticks, raw almonds (just a hand full) and then drinking more water to curb any further hunger pangs. I find keeping busy also helps a lot.

Now to start doing more then watching how many steps I do in a day but actually walking on the treadmill, resistance bands and weight training will help firm and trim me even more.

The meds the doctors put me on are helping too. My blood sugars are staying close to 140 with some rising but not much. So things are leveling out as long as I continue to be good and don't over do.
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby hamlet » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:09 pm

Still struggling with the up and down of the season. And now with the new job, I end up in a meeting at least once a week where they throw food at us and it's bad form not to eat, so I end up eating things I don't really want. Yay.

But at least I've managed to stabilize a little.

I just wish it was easier. And easier on Mrs. H who is left all alone and having to fend for herself for healthy food, which is really tough when you don't know cooking and your spouse can't get together the time to put something together for you. Drat. Have to work on my schedule a little somehow.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:28 pm

Well done, Vana. :thumbsup:

hamlet, just make up a condition where you can't eat most of the food. Say you're a coeliac and thus can't eat gluten. That should rule out a lot of the food and not offend people. (And if they're offended, then tough on them.)

I'm slowly losing weight. I'm now eating muesli for breakfast, along with a yoghurt drink that helps to lower cholesterol. Salad for lunch (with no dressing, just lettuce, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, either some hard-boiled egg or low-fat ham, and pickled beetroot) and fruit. Dinner is something reasonably healthy in a small portion. I've always drunk lots of water, so that's not a problem. But I've now got to watch what I eat: no saturated fats if I can help it, and as little refined sugar as possible. So far so good. I'm not getting much exercise at the moment, since my rowing machine is still covered by boxes! :D But once my final course-work is done (I'm doing an online course) by the end of this week, I can get cracking with unpacking, and getting the Christmas decorations up.
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:24 am

I have found that keeping healthy snacks such as carrot sticks, celery, almonds and the like in small bags in the refrigerator makes it easier to eat better. I love salads so we keep salad mix around with avocados and tomatoes so I can throw one together fast if I am hungry. I use lemon juice and a dash of Olive Oil on my salad instead of dressings. Oh and I keep chicken in the freezer pre cooked so I just need to thaw it in the microwave to add it to my salad. I don't know if this would help Mrs.H but I hope it does. I love to keep fruits around too.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:54 pm

LK: I have read repeatedly that the best way to tone your arms, as well as the muscles in your chest and back, is push ups. Yes, I know, they're hard. But try doing them off the wall to begin with.

Says the girl who hasn't been doing them. :roll:

The elliptical is still tough, I got away for a bit and then started back. I can do 3 minutes straight, and I'm working my way up.

Always...

"I'd rather kiss a Wookie..."

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:08 pm

Hamlet I know the struggle you are having, my boss loves to bring me sweets that he baked at home and wants me to try them. I have to say no and it might hurt his feelings but I have explained it to him and need to take care of myself. You need to speak up to the person who insists on ordering in the food, what you would prefer were offered so that you have a choice. Never feel that you can not say no. It is your health that we are concerned with and anyone who doesn't care to listen is an idiot anyways. There are probably several people in this group who feel somewhat the way you do but are afraid to speak up.

I am glad to see so many still here and still working towards a better self healthwise!! :thumbsup: :drink: Here is to water, nice cold water!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby hamlet » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:31 am

Vanadiel: Usually, I can. For some reason, the last couple days, it's been impossible. Christmas time around here, there are cookies, cakes, pies, canoli (homemade and SOOOOOO GOOOOOOOD!!!!!), and all other sorts of goodies that it's just impossible.

However, somehow, I've managed only to gain 2 pounds this week. I'm fighting like crazy not to gain more. Don't know how that's going to work, but we'll see. Maybe I'll take to walking the 21 miles home each way . . .
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:35 am

What country are you living in that you can walk the 21 miles without freezing to death?
If you choose to do that Hamlet, be safe and wear bright reflective clothing. We do not want you hurt or hit by a car while trying to keep the weight off.

Be safe no matter where anyone is if you are walking or biking or exercising out of doors this time of year.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:15 pm

A couple months ago Rob and I were driving home from Pittsburgh and came across an accident...at first I thought it was a large dog that had been hit. But when I walked closer I saw it was a woman...and she was dead. She was dressed all in black and had been trying to cross an intersection of a very busy highway. :( So, yeah...if you don't have reflective clothing, at least wear light colors.

Always...

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:28 pm

Oh dear that is so sad! I had a woman crossing my driveway in the dark all dressed in black and I almost hit her. Scared me to death nearly! I wear a reflective coat in the winter because I have to cross roads in the dark on my way to my car.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:36 pm

I almost gave up, things had been going so bad for me. This March, I peaked at 280. But it turned around. I am now at 243. All I have to say is, I'm BACK!

Here's a blog to that effect:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_publi ... id=6286728

:yippie:

Use the Force!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby hamlet » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:07 am

Awesome, CR! Keep on going and good luck and best wishes!

Vana: I do not live in any part of the country that permits me to walk like that. Where I am in Northern New Jersey, it is the omnipresent highway 80 that is not only illegal to walk on but suicidal. There are no sidewalks, really, there's no sanity to it. No way to ride a bike either without playing "dodge the Chevy." So, treadmill and gym time for me.

Though, at least, I've only been bouncing up and down the same three pounds or so since Thanksgiving. Today is the first day back in the groove come hell or high water. I will not go back to my old self!

Good luck to everybody here.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:39 am

After all, Sunday is another year...

And none too soon! :)

Always...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ladykat » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:49 am

Yes, yes, I WILL exercise!

Right after I finish this box of chocolates...... =:)

LK
Ladykat

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:00 am

:rofl:
Did about seven and a half minutes on the elliptical yesterday...in chunks. After lunch I need to hit it again.

I've been reading a book on thyroid function. While I'm suspicious of someone who says "my way is the ONLY way" some of her information is good, so I'm going to stick with it and at least try to get some of the tests she recommends.

I have a goal...there is a 5K pumpkin run every October in our area and I want to at least aim for it. So I'll start with the elliptical and once we get decent weather walking and jogging. I have to stop worrying about what the neighbors will say. ;)

Walking my parents' dog would help.

Always...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:37 pm

CR I am so glad that you are sticking with it!! I missed you and am here for you all the way!! I am still struggling now that I have diabetes as well as my other issues but my breathing is better so that gives me some hope.

Hamlet I don't have any walking paths near my home either. We live on a Highway with no shoulder to speak of and I won't walk along it. So the treadmill and a stationary bike are my ways of getting miles in. Also I live 14 miles from town and 25 miles to my job (two towns away). Keep it up hon!!

LadyKat put those chocolates down and get back to taking care of yourself!! Actually share please! LOL I am doing very well with having given up some of the things I used to eat, but chocolate is not one of them. I still need a touch now and then. ;)

Iris way to go girlfriend on the Elliptical!! My knees wont let me use one of those and they are harder to use from what my Pulmonary Rehab trainer said. So she never let me on it.

So here we are a new year and a new attitude of going for it!!! We can all do it if we lean on each other and encourage each other along the way. Never will I be disappointed in any of you for we all have times we fall back on old ways that were not healthy or beneficial to us, but we can get back up and strive to go on. I believe we can do it!! Onward!!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby hamlet » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:40 am

Vana: on my unhappy days, your sig pic pretty much sums it up. It's like the universe is cheating somehow.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:38 pm

Happy New Year, everyone! :hihi:

So, I'm doing quite well, I managed to not put any weight on over the holidays, which was rather miraculous, as I did eat some chocolates and crisps, and cake. However, I was good, and didn't overdue anything. We went on a few walks too. Now I'm back at home and back at work, I seem to be losing weight again (I can be more strict with what I eat when I'm not at home all day :D ).

My goal are clothes' based. I have a lovely skirt that I bought a wee while ago that I'm aiming to be able to get into first of all. I'm closer to it already. Eventually, I'm aiming to get back in to a gorgeous pair of jeans that I used to wear.

For me, the fact that I know I used to be much lighter and managed to maintain it really keeps me going. It's not an impossible dream because I've been there already. I'm not doing much exercise at the moment, but I'll get there. I still need to clear the spare room to get to the rowing machine.

Well done to everyone. Here's to another year of fitness and healthy goals. :)

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:50 pm

I have a beautiful pair of jeans I can't get into...I need to hand them up and use them as motivation. Sounds wonderful, Heliona! You will have to post a picture for us. :D

When I was in high school, I went from an 18 to a 14 by daily walks and ice water and stuff. Of course, I was also a teenager.

That reminds me of a story, unrelated to fitness, but I'll share it anyhow. There used to be a TV show called Unsolved Mysteries and my parents and I watched it every week. One of the cases was local even, and because of the show the guy was caught. Anyhow, we're watching it this one evening and my dad got up during the commercial to get something to drink, and I said, "Could you get me some ice water?" He came back and handed me the fly swatter (see where it's going?). I asked him why and he said, "Didn't you ask for this?" His hearing problems began long, long ago. :rofl:

Always...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ladykat » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:43 am

heliona wrote:I can be more strict with what I eat when I'm not at home all day ).

It's the other way around with me. When I'm at work, all I do is eat, usually candy and chips all day. That's because I HATE that job, and I DON'T want to be there. I'm bored, and I need a distraction.

Food is a distraction.

I don't do that at home. Even if I'm just sitting around reading or watching TV. I don't feel the need to constantly shovel food in.

Much easier for me not to snack and nibble when I'm at home.

LK
Ladykat

Postby heliona » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:19 am

Ah, in that respect I'm lucky. I like my job, firstly, and secondly, because I work in a library and am often customer-facing, we're not allowed to eat, or drink anything other than bottled water. We're allowed to snack in the office, and there are always biscuits and things there, but I'm pretty good at avoiding them. :) At home, because I'm lazy, I tend not to eat until I'm hungry, and then have no idea what to eat, so I end up making something less healthy. Fortunately, I try not to buy things for snacking on, so I have to make the effort to cook, at least. :D

LK, good luck - it's very difficult finding motivation when you're not happy with your life situation. Your job sounds horrid. :hug:

Iris, :lmbo: Yes, I'm finding clothes a nice motivator. I have the skirt hanging up in my wardrobe, and I try it on every couple of weeks. It makes the numbers on the scales more real when clothes fit me better. :) And I will try to take a photo once I get into the skirt. :)

heliona

Postby Vanaladiel » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:49 pm

Hang in there Hamlet, I believe it will happen for you!! Believe in yourself no matter what. If your heart is in the right place about getting more fit, it will happen.

Iris and Heliona I believe the same way that clothes can be a motivator! Use what works for you and don't belittle it. I want to see you both attain the ability to wear your clothes and show them off. Pictures when you get there!!

LadyKat that is why I pack plenty of snacks with me to work, banana's, apple's, carrots and the like so that I wont have any reason to reach for something that is not healthy for me or will trip me up on my journey to wellness.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Ladykat » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:21 am

Vanaladiel wrote:LadyKat that is why I pack plenty of snacks with me to work, banana's, apple's, carrots and the like so that I wont have any reason to reach for something that is not healthy for me or will trip me up on my journey to wellness.

Unfortunately carrot and celery sticks don't have the same soothing, comforting affect as chocolate.

Especially after one has spent 10 to 20 minutes on the phone with some dumb-arse idiot who has given a good deal of their life's history, but NOT their name or WHY they're calling!

Or they'll walk in to pick up the glasses they ordered, and then whine, "that's not the frame I wanted!"

I want so bad to smack these people and scream, "YOU! PICKED! IT! OUT!!!!!!"

I should definitely have a job where I don't have to deal with John Q. Public at all. Just computers and maybe a few co-workers.

Pity I can't find one.

LK
Ladykat

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:51 am

I see your eyeglasses and raise you a news paper. ;)

:hug: I think retail really brings out the worst in people.

I have a phone phobia...I just hate calling people on the phone. I mentioned it one day at work (when we were all still there and had no idea just how good we had it!) and my editor said, "You're in the wrong job." Yeah...

Always...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:43 pm

Popping back in to say these two things: first, I purchased a Nook book on Volumetrics, and it looks fairly straightforward.

Second: LK, have you tried Licorice tea? It's naturally sweet and I get a similar kick from it as I do chocolate (though a girl does need her chocolate at times!)

Always...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby hamlet » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:59 am

Haven't been able to do much the last few days. Somehow, on Sunday, I managed to get hold of tainted Greek Yogurt and/or fresh blueberries for breakfast and by evening I was so sick I was hauled off to the ER. After many hours there, I was sent home, but eating has only just today returned to somewhat "normal" and all the consequences that come with that. To be fair, I think today is the first day I've genuinely been hungry since that point. I'm still waiting for my body to get back to equilibrium and it'll be nice to be somewhat normal again.

Man, I'm beginning to hate the hospital. Truly and genuinely.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Ladykat » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:53 pm

IrisBrandybuck wrote:Second: LK, have you tried Licorice tea? It's naturally sweet and I get a similar kick from it as I do chocolate (though a girl does need her chocolate at times!)

I read about that in some magazine or another. I've been meaning to look for it in the store.

LK
Ladykat

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:33 am

Hamlet: that sucks :hug:

LK: I don't like licorice candy generally, but I do like the tea. :)

Always...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:05 am

Hamlet I am so sorry that you got so ill on bad food. I usually do that too. Or seem to be the one to always get the tainted food. Hang in there hon!! I hate hospitals too.

I saw the doc on the 18th and have lost 7 pounds since last month so I am now down 14 pounds. I weighed myself again today fully dressed and I have lost another 2 pounds since Wednesday. This is starting to motivate me to stick with my new eating habits even better.

LadyKat I too, love Chocolate and will imbibe on small amounts to ease any desire to over eat it. Darkest Chocolate is the best for us or healthiest, I should say, and it isn't so bad. I just cant keep a large amount around me. So a little and I feel satisfied that I had some.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

PreviousNext

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby