Recommitting for 2018, How is your fitness going?

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Re: Recommitting to fitness through 2015!

Postby hamlet » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:52 am

Gained a pound overnight. Most likely because I ate somewhat poorly yesterday. Drat.

Today, behaving myself as best I can. Went to the gym (the torture chamber) and ran like crazy.

Will go for a walk at lunch for a few miles.

May go for a short walk this evening before game night.

I wonder how many calories smashing my head against the wall actually burns. :bang:
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Ladykat » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:32 pm

hamlet wrote:I wonder how many calories smashing my head against the wall actually burns.

Often wondered that myself. :D

I'm gonna have to be REALLY good about eating for the next few days. I should probably wait a bit after the surgery before I start any exercising again.

I still have a stent in.....don't want to do any damage and end up back at the hospital.

LK
Ladykat
Between the Worlds of Men and Make Believe I Can be Found

Postby hamlet » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:10 am

Be careful, LK. No need to damage anything.

This weekend was Mrs. Hamlet's birthday. Thirty-one years on this ridiculous globe.

So, tradition in her family states that she can request a meal of her choosing with anything in it . . . within reason (i.e., no, you can't have haggis simply because nobody has the means to prepare it here).

So, the request became grilled chicken by my hand, grilled asparagus also by my hand, and from her mother homemade pasta with pesto sauce. All of it, really quite nice. And even with the chocolate torte for dessert, it wasn't at all a bad meal.

The problem comes with what happened the day before. My parents wanted to celebrate her birthday as well, so they wanted to take us out to any restaurant of our choosing. So, Mrs. H picked a local Indian eatery that is quite good and has a lovely lunchtime buffet. We all know what buffets are good for.

In a single day, I gained three solid pounds. :oops: :angry:

So, now I'm trying to figure out just how much exercise I can get before my body actually falls apart.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:30 am

LK, gentle walking should be ok. And stretching.

Don't kill yourself, hamlet! :)

I looked at myself in the mirror yesterday and almost cried. I look at some of these women who are as big as I am or bigger and dress however they want to and I think, how do they get that confidence? :(

<--Visiting the Arctic regions with the TVM!

Cats were once worshiped in Egypt. They have never forgotten this.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby hamlet » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:47 am

IrisBrandybuck wrote:

I looked at myself in the mirror yesterday and almost cried. I look at some of these women who are as big as I am or bigger and dress however they want to and I think, how do they get that confidence? :(

The same way I let Mrs. H get me into a costume of a cartoon character in public. Don't care.

Yes, it's easier in a room full of people dressed even more ridiculously than you, but still . . .

And no, I'm not killing myself, at least outright, though today I seem to be laboring under a migraine that the entire company is intent on making worse. I really want to just get home into a dark and cool room and shut out the world for a few hours.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:41 am

I hope you're feeling better today, hamlet! :)

Yesterday I visited the chiropractor. Oh, I feel wonderful! I have full range of motion in my neck at the moment. He also put the laser on my back and knee...and he agreed to have me come in regularly to have my knee lasered to see if we can heal it without surgery. So I feel much more like being active. :D

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ladykat » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:30 pm

It's nice when one feels like being active. I don't so much. :(

Honestly, I think they removed my energy along with the kidney stone. I spent most of Saturday, Sunday and Monday sleeping. And now, when I get home from work, all I want to do is go straight to bed.

So not getting much exercise, but at least I can't eat when I'm asleep.

LK
Ladykat

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:14 pm

Keep in mind, you've had surgery and your body is traumatized. Even though it was minor, you're still going to feel out of it. I did with my D and C procedures. :hug:

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ladykat » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:51 pm

That's what my sister keeps telling me.

I might have recuperated faster if I could have taken more time off from work, but we don't have paid sick days.

Or personal days.

We don't have much of anything in the way of benefits, to tell the truth.

Hate that job! :x

LK
Ladykat

Postby hamlet » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:36 am

Take it slow. Take it easy.

I found that getting back into exercise can't be an all or nothing venture. If you do the hard exercise on a Monday, then on Tuesday you take it a bit easier and let your body recover and, instead, go for a short walk. Then on Wednesday you get back to it.

You'll build endurance that way and eventually you can up your workout, but don't kill yourself trying to do what you think you should right off the line.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Ladykat » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:23 pm

Thanks hamlet, maybe when I finally get this stupid stent out, and I can do some physical activity without being afraid I'm going to damage to my insides, I'll do that.

No, the stent was not removed on Monday. :x See Home Alone thread for details.

Sorry, hurting, and not in a very good mood right now.

LK
Ladykat

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon May 02, 2016 8:25 am

:grouphug: LK Hope you're feeling better today!!!

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ladykat » Tue May 03, 2016 6:50 pm

Thanks Iris. Yes, I am feeling much better now that that stupid stent is gone.

I'm going to give myself one more day of taking it easy, then I'm going to ease back into my exercises, following hamlet's suggestion.

Not that I'm going to be exercising very hard at first. It will be kind of easy one day and easier the next for a while. :)

LK
Ladykat

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon May 16, 2016 8:16 pm

LK simple Ibuprofen is an anti inflammatory as well as aspirin.

I love how doctors work, I never said it was nothing! Oh sure now you say that doc. I changed doctors a couple of years ago and have not regretted it in the least.

I graduated from my Pulmonary Rehab just last Wednesday. I am glad to have it done so that I am not spending so much on gas getting there three days a week, but I need to get moving again. Sunday we went to Deception Pass and Oak Harbor and walked the beaches looking for driftwood that I could use in my garden. If it had been warmer we would have walked a lot but the wind was chilly so we did not walk as long as I would have liked to.

Last Wednesday morning my father passed away so I did not stay for exercising on my last day of rehab. I knew I was needed on the phone with family and friends as we got things settled a bit. We are doing fine now and so my mind is back on exercising and eating right. It was tough for a day or two cause I was so down. Life goes on and we must do what we must to get where we wish to be.

CR do come in and join us again and DO NOT GIVE UP!!!
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu May 19, 2016 8:44 am

Vana: :hug:

I went to see my PA about my thyroid and she says everything looks fine, but suggested other culprits for my symptoms. So...more blood work. However, she prescribed a new medicine for my depression. I'm only taken it three times but I already feel better. :) I actually feel like being active (she says as she types on the computer...) ;)

CR: the knowledge and desire are half the battle. And even if you are not ever the weight you achieved, just staying active and working on it is a good thing. :hug:

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Cock-Robin » Thu May 19, 2016 9:39 am

I'm here, though my leg is hurting badly. There are no sores as I feared. I've cut a lot out of my eating habits, and am trying to regain my lost enthusiasm I once had.

A cool cubby!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby hamlet » Thu May 19, 2016 11:26 am

Power and encouragement to you, CR. It's tough, but definitely doable.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu May 19, 2016 8:37 pm

CR, you can ignore this post if you want to, but know I'm saying this out of love and concern. Have you and your doctor ever discussed a mild anti-depression medication? And I'm saying this because I broke down and talked with my PA. First it was anxiety, and now depression. I take a pill for anxiety, a very mild one, and she just put me on Welbutrin, which seems to really be helping my mood and energy levels. It's not for everyone, but when I finally confessed I couldn't do it myself...even with prayer and so on...it helped.

Just a thought. :hug: :hug: :hug:

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun May 22, 2016 10:24 pm

I love you CR and know that my thoughts and prayers continue with you. I believe in you!!!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby hamlet » Mon May 23, 2016 8:09 am

Stay strong, CR. You've got support when you need it.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:51 am

So.

I stepped on the scale this morning. It said 240.

That's 15 down, folks. :shock:

All from a pill that makes me happy and curbs my appetite.

I am never giving this thing up!

Now, I need to start toning muscles (which will help with weigh loss too) so the flabby doesn't look so....flabby.

(I haz bat wings!)

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:02 pm

It is amazing when we feel better how our bodies respond. You rock Iris! I used to take Sinequan which is a very old type of anti depressant and it works for me. It does not cause any mood altering effects but gets me ready to get with the program again. I took it for many years.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby hamlet » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:14 am

Awesome, Iris! Keep on going!

This morning, the scale told me 179. It's probably not right as Tuesday Morning I consider my real weigh day. That's when, for some reason, I jump up a pound or three from weekend excess and sedentariness. So it'll probably be back to 180 by morning. That, and all the tea/water/seltzer I'm drinking today probably will up the number a bit. Ah well, back to the grind stone.

Seems unfair that all this work is just to stay even. Oughta be a law . . .
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:10 pm

I truly need to get back on program. I stopped when my father died last month and I graduated from my rehab class. I need and want to get back into walking and stretching and weight lifting light weights for resistance training. I have gained I am sure cause my pants are feeling awful tight again. Not a good thing.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:50 am

Vana: :hug:

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:27 pm

Thank you Iris!!! :hug:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:56 am

Okay they got me started on my C-Pap machine on Friday and I had a worse time staying awake on Saturday. I did better last night and feel pretty good today. Now I just have to get the proper hoses to be able to attach my oxygen to the C-Pap and I will be set.

For those who have a C-Pap, do they have them set to where they start to wake you up at a certain time? I seem to be waking up at 7am each morning and I would rather sleep a bit later and use my alarm to get up.

Now that I am sleeping better, it is time to get back to exercising and losing some weight that I am so tired of carrying around on my frame. My pants are too tight again and I hate that.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:57 am

Vana: neither Rob nor my dad seem to have that happen. My dad is a night owl, but usually gets up about 7, then takes a nap later in the afternoon. Rob can sleep for hours with his. It might be your body doing it, saying, "Okay, I'm ready!" And that could change once you've used it for a while. But then, the machine they have and the one you have coule be completely different.

I'm glad you're feeling better! :hug:

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:54 pm

Thanks hon, it does seem to be working pretty good for me. I have the proper hoses and am able to sleep at least 7 hours each night and more on days that I don't have to get up early for work.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:45 am

That's wonderful!

I went to see my regular doctor for a physical last week and they said I lost 10 pounds and otherwise I'm in perfect health. Yesterday I went to see an endocrinologist, and he's running all kinds of tests, including a thyroid ultrasound. He's also testing for diabetes. I can say with absolute confidence I don't have it, but I'm doing it anyhow.

IrisBrandybuck

PreviousNext

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby