Recommitting for 2018, How is your fitness going?

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Re: Recommitting to fitness through 2015!

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:43 am

Better to verify that you don't then to put it off and find that you are borderline. Good luck on the tests hon. Way to go with the weight loss! :thumbsup:
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of Borin who passed away in March 2020 I believe
Calma she passed away on 07/05/19 ! RIP dear lady! :rose:
Primula Baggins passed away on 02/27/19
Cockrobin has passed away on 02/18/2019 Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend!
oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my beloved mother who has joined my daddy with Jesus. :rose: 1/11/20 For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you mom and daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:22 am

Well, guess what kind of result I got. Borderline.

I'm going to call and ask to have the test again. One reason...the phlebotomist wasn't sure which test to give me! I guess the endocrinologist is famous for not making the lab requests clear. Second, I had just come off of a very stressful week. And third...I just want to make sure.

I could just cry.

Some days are grumpier than others...

For Calma :rose:
For Cock-Robin :rose:
For Toby :rose:

May we never forget them. :rose:

Cats were once worshiped in Egypt. They have never forgotten this.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby heliona » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:12 am

If you are borderline diabetic, then finding out early is good. You should have no trouble controlling it through diet. I know three people who are either borderline diabetic (type 2) or are actually diabetic and by changing their diet and losing some weight have no trouble controlling it. (In fact, two of them are no longer diabetic and the other is almost not.) So it might not be too bad. :hug:
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief! & My Instagram account

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:43 am

My numbers were really high. :( They have agreed to do the test again. I think a good part of the problem is, once I lost my job, I started not paying much attention to what I was eating. I stopped ensuring I ate more veggies and fruit. Stopped eating cinnamon and stuff like that and just ate whatever...when I ate at all. Because sometimes I didn't. So, I have no one to blame but myself.

I was talking to a friend last night and she was telling me about what her husband went through. It was helpful. :)

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby hamlet » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:33 am

Sorry to hear, Iris. It's a little unfair, in some ways, but humans' eating habits are strongly linked to emotional and social well being. When we're unhappy, we tend to make less than optimal choices.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Ladykat » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:48 pm

My eating habits suck. It's no wonder I have so much trouble losing weight.

But I had a salad yesterday! :D First time in way too long. I really should eat more of them.

LK
Ladykat
Between the Worlds of Men and Make Believe I Can be Found

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:19 pm

That's good, LK. :)

I did my second blood test the other day. The third time she put the needle in, she hit a nerve, and I've had some soreness since, but it's fading.

I've not heard results yet, but I think I know what they'll tell me. :roll:

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ladykat » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:59 pm

Iris--OUCH! :Q

I hate getting stuck with a needle. Hope your tests come back with everything OK.

I keep telling myself I have to get back into the exercise groove.....and every day I find some excuse not to.....

siighhhhhhhh.........

LK
Ladykat

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:16 am

Well, it's official. :( I saw the PA at the endo dr. yesterday and my numbers are not good. So, one metformin pill a day. But I did lose an additional 3 pounds between visits. :) I have six months to lose 25 more, or they'll insist I see the nutritionist. I'm thinking of talking to my dad about joining weight watchers again. I don't want to go alone, but he might be willing to go with me.

I also really need to start at least walking again. So... there we are.

LK: my arm stopped hurting for a little while and then really started hurting, like I had a knife cutting into me and slicing up my arm! :shock: I asked my nurse friends what to do and one suggested ice and heat. The ice helped more and after two days the worst of the pain was gone. It still twinges...Rob thinks I did something to the tendon. I don't know...I just don't want to do that again!

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ladykat » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:18 pm

Oooooh Iris, that sound painful! Glad you're a little better.

I would love to take walks outside, but it's been so miserably humid here lately. Makes it hard to breathe if you're exerting yourself in any way. To quote one of the weather forecasters, it's like "air you can wear" it does feel that thick sometimes.

Guess I'll just stay indoors and stick to the elliptical.

LK
Ladykat

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:47 am

It's been pretty humid here up until very recently. This week it's supposed to briefly cool down and then start all over again. But the nights are cold.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby RoseMorninStar » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:49 am

We have a Y nearby that has a pool. I've been swimming 5-6 miles a week over 4-5 days/week which has lowered my blood pressure and blood sugar, which weren't bad before, it's my cholesterol that's a bit high, which is a hereditary issue. I'll be having that tested soon and hopefully that will have come down.

There are some online fitness helpers if for whatever reason you don't want to go to weightwatchers. My Fitness Pal (which has a mobile app as well) is liked by a lot of people.
If it's too muggy outside and you don't have an elliptical or treadmill, you can dance to music at home, make up little routines. Some people run up & down the stairs. Every little bit helps, especially if it's consistent.

Congrats on your weight loss Iris and Good Luck on the next 25!
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby hamlet » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:15 am

For the last 2 months or so, I've been prohibited from the gym by multiple doctors. So, I'm now in search of other sources of exercise once I go back to the "normal" mode.

Our community has several pools (not sure if indoor or otherwise) and I'd love to make use of them. It seems a slightly lower impact exercise than running. Cant' really afford a membership to the Y, but that might be an option someday.

Right now, I'm trying to walk as much as I can, but it's difficult since I go about 10 minutes and have to find a place to sit and rest for a while before continuing.

Back injuries suck.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:09 am

Swimming is much lower impact. Some It's have adjustible rates based on income, but I realize it can be an added expense that just might not fit the budget.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Ladykat » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:40 pm

I don't really know how to swim, at least not very well. I took lessons once, but it was so long ago, I'd probably have to take them all over again.

Supposedly fat floats, so you'd think I'd bob around like a cork, but I don't. :P

LK
Ladykat

Postby heliona » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:07 am

This article from the BBC about High Intensity Interval Training is very interesting: Is there a shortcut to exercise?

I found the bit about squeezing a stress ball for a few minutes a few times a week drastically lowering your blood pressure really interesting. Sounds like a simple thing that everyone should be doing!

And another article about apple cider vinegar: Are the health claims about apple cider vinegar true? Might be worth trying to drink a bit of very diluted cider vinegar if you have high blood sugar or high cholesterol.

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief! & My Instagram account

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby RoseMorninStar » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:50 am

Thanks for the articles heliona, I'm going to give the Apple cider thing a try and I passed along the exercise article.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:00 am

No problem, Rose. :) There's a more detailed article with the results about the HIIT stuff here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3nvRZxYFPxHCCvxGwmDt0cC/is-there-a-short-cut-to-getting-fit

heliona

Postby Ladykat » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:47 pm

I twisted my knee yesterday, so there go any workouts on the elliptical. :bang:

Now I REALLY wish there was a nearby pool where I could swim.

LK
Ladykat

Postby hamlet » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:38 am

Made my way back into the gym this morning and restricted myself only to the elliptical machine and a gentle walk on the treadmill since all the weights were occupied (everybody's getting back into shape after Labor Day it seems).

Right now, I'm tired and just a little sore, but doing ok. So I figure every other day won't hurt me too much as long as I'm reasonable about it.

After the month-long + fiasco, I've "only" gained about 3 pounds. I'd like to get those off again, and maybe a bit more, or at least work on converting some weight to muscle instead.

It seems entirely unfair that the human body is designed to put on weight very readily and swiftly, but take it off . . . well . . . never.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:45 am

I'm back from Chincoteague. Spent time in the ocean...the water was pretty rough each day, but fun. And Sunday I climbed the lighthouse! First time I did that was almost five years ago and I barely made it. This time it was easier. :) I haven't checked my weight since I got home yesterday...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ladykat » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:19 am

Hey Iris! Good to see you! Glad you had fun on your trip.

Hamlet--you're lucky you only regained 3 pounds. I regained 7 since my kidney stone surgery in May I think it was?---- and I STILL haven't lost it! :x

Yes, it's so easy to gain, so hard to lose.

LK
Ladykat

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:27 pm

My parents have a medical scale my grandma got them years and years and years ago. It's a small weighted scale and I used it today and decided I need something a little more accurate just to try to keep up with what the doctor's say. Unfortunately, I could probably get one of their scales and still never get the same numbers!

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ladykat » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:34 pm

Iris---you're probably right. Every time I have a doctors appointment and they weigh me, they always come up with different weights.

Even when the appointments are within a few days of each other, and I know my weight couldn't possibly fluctuate that much within a couple of days.

BTW are you doing MoME this year?

LK
Ladykat

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:12 pm

I usually don't do MOME...I tried one year and found it harder than MOST. I usually watch, though...

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ladykat » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:25 am

IrisBrandybuck wrote:I usually don't do MOME...I tried one year and found it harder than MOST. I usually watch, though...

That's OK, you and Salem can both hang out with me.

My exercising seems to have fallen by the wayside. AGAIN! :angry:

I can't do it before I go to work, and if I have errands or anything to do after work....well, by the time I get home it just seems like it's too late, and I just don't feel like it.

LK
Ladykat

Postby heliona » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:09 am

Me too, LK. :cry2:

However, I was trying some clothes on over the weekend, and since none of my lovely skirts fit me, I am now determined to get back on the exercise wagon. (Admittedly, I'm getting a bit more exercise than usual at work at the moment, because we're unpacking lots of boxes.) What is putting me off exercise at the moment is I've got a problem with my left heel and standing up for ages makes it worse, so by the time I get home, I just want to sit down. But NO! I shall exercise! I'm going to try some HIIT on my rowing machine, since it's been sitting, neglected, in my cellar for over a year thanks to my ear infection last year. Also, HIIT training is only about 20 minutes beginning to end (including a quick warm-up and warm-down) and of course on the rowing machine I'll be sitting down. (I also damaged the cartilage in my knee about a month ago, so I can't do anything high impact at the moment whilst it recovers.) I think I'll also try on a skirt every week to keep my motivation up! :D ;)

Good luck, everyone! :hihi:

heliona

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:40 am

The wellbutrin is still suppressing my appetite, and I'm working on making healthier choices when I eat, especially when eating out. It's a slow process. :( I do need to start walking again, and since it's gotten cooler, I might be able to talk myself into it... ;)

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ladykat » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:52 pm

I got a nice surprise this morning. It seems despite my total lack of doing any of my exercise routines for about a week and a half, I seem to have managed to lose at least four of the seven pounds I regained since my kidney stone surgery.

That has motivated me to get back to it, and I did workout this morning. It's easier on weekends, I can do it in the morning and be done with it.

heliona---by all means, take care of your knee. I twisted mine a few weeks ago, and even though it doesn't hurt now with just normal walking around, I still wear my knee brace when I exercise, even just on the elliptical. It's good you have a rowing machine so you can exercise without putting pressure on your heel.

Iris---good for you for making healthier eating choices. I really need to do that myself.

LK
Ladykat

Postby hamlet » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:35 am

Iris: Making healthy choices is one of those truly difficult things. Seems that all the really tasty things when we eat out are truly bad for us and restaurants are really good at turning what should be a healthy option (like a salad) into a 1000 calorie gut bomb. Argh.

Still continuing my exercise, but have popped up a few pounds thanks to several rough days: a company picnic in which I absolutely had to sample everything for political reasons you see, and just some bad eating a couple days. But, still exercising and still trying to make better choices.

Discovered one of those "who'd have thunk" side effects of exercising: bloody nipples. Took me about two hours this morning after getting out of the gym to realize where the blood spots on my shirt were coming from. That's just really weird.
hamlet
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby