Dwarves on Motorbikes

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Dwarves on Motorbikes

Postby melanippos » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:38 am

I spent my holiday season drawing the entire Company from The Hobbit on motorbikes (brilliant way to spend the summer I must say).
You can see them all over on http://melanippos.tumblr.com though you may need to scroll back a page or two for all of them

I am now working on the Lady Bikers of Middle Earth, having realised that I hadn't represented my own gender at all :)
I've done Dís, Thorin's sister, on a BMW and Éowyn on a Victory Cruiser so far. I've currently go Arwen on a Bonneville Triumph on my drawing board - should be done and on to Galadriel in the next day or so :)
melanippos
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Dwarves on Motorbikes

Postby firetomysoul » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:55 am

Nice work :)

What made you want to put them on motorbikes?
I rather enjoyed watching them ride on goats/rams in the final hobbit movie. :rofl:
firetomysoul
Citizen of Imladris

Postby melanippos » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:28 am

I stumbled on a short reinterpretation of The Hobbit that took the twist of the tale being told as if one were reading a text-log of Bilbo's mobile phone and that the dwarves were heading to Erebor on motorbikes rather than ponies.
The focus of the tale was on other things but I got distracted by the motorbike aspect.
I went with BMW's because I thought chunky german motorbikes suited the original sources of Tolkiens dwarves :)
melanippos

Postby Calma » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:57 am

Welcome back!

Love the drawings.
Good thing they're in Middle Earth.
Because in the States, they'd be busted for not wearing a helmet. :wink:

It's Squirrel Month In The TVM!

Join the funWith The TVM

CAT LOVERS GUILD Image :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!

Pitchers and Catchers report February 14!!!

SOUNDERS!!!

Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan Image

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image ROCK ON!!!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby melanippos » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:11 pm

@Calma: As they would in Australia -
I figured dwarves having such hard heads they'd sneer at motorbike helmets - and good luck convincing them against their will (also - all that Hair?! fitting could be an issue). My depiction of Bilbo, in Dori's side car, is wearing a helment - because Hobbits, I imagine, are very safety conscious.
melanippos

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:15 pm

In PA they can ride without helmets.

I can't imagine the insurance agent would be happy about it. . . . .

Squirrels have taken over the TVM. And they drank all the rum.

---------------------------------

Watch my (low budget) movie
here!!!

For more fun, watch this video! ->

Star Trek meets Monty Python!!
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:12 pm

I love the motorbikes! You're very talented!
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Postby melanippos » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:57 pm

Tookish_Traveler wrote:In PA they can ride without helmets.

I can't imagine the insurance agent would be happy about it. . . . .

I wouldn't be at all comfortable motorbiking without all the PPE - I have too good an imagination about what happens to human bodies when they hit tarmac at speed, with or without vehicle going with them.
melanippos

Postby heliona » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:27 am

I love the drawings! :) I'm sure dwarves could manage to get some sort of helmet on, but I doubt it would be a proper motorcycle helmet. :D

You have to wear helmets whilst riding a bicycle in Australia, too, don't you? (I seem to recall that - I lived in Australia briefly many years ago.) Is that the case in the US? Here in the UK, you have to wear a helmet on a motorbike, but not a bicycle (although most people do).

On a serious, side-note about helmets. Even whilst wearing them, they're not necessarily safe. My uncle passed away after coming off his motorbike because, although he was wearing a helmet, he hit the curb with his neck, so his helmet did nothing.
Image<-- Are you looking for me? It's Squirrel Month in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby melanippos » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:55 am

Legally here in Australia you are meant to wear helmets on pushbikes but a lot of people don't. The number of idiots I've seen with their helmet swinging from their handlebars while cycling is beyond count (and wearing it without it being done up under the chin) - having a helmet is no good to you unless it's securely on one's head. Eejits.

It's a bit of a blurry photograph of the original... But here's Galadrield on a motorbike (Royal Enfield for a Royal elf)

I rejigged and amended her The Hobbit White Council frock to make it more motorbike friendly, and gave her gloves, mithril jeans and kick-erse boots because PPE is always your friend people!
(My rational for no helmets is Dwarves head ARE helmets and elves just flip gracefully like cats and land on their feet no matter how they are flung about (unless there are urukhai involved - then it gets messier)).

Let’s just assume that Middle Earth Magic ™ is constantly affecting elven clothing so there is never any chance of an Isadora Duncan* occurring.

All that I've done so far are visible up on http://melanippos.tumblr.com

*Google it if you’re not aware of her fate - I imagine its always at the front of Edna Mode’s mind when she snaps “No capes darling! No capes!”
melanippos

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby