Hello all :)

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Hello all :)

Postby Aelin » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:57 pm

I have no idea where to post this, so hope this is fine :)

I have so many questions, feel free to answer so that we can get to know each other :)

How long have you been a fan of LOTR?
Have you read the books?
Which is your favorite film?
Favorite character, why?
What did you think about The Hobbit being done in three parts?
What would you like to have seen in the films that wasn't included?
I wish I could live in Rivendell or Hobbiton, I can't choose!! You?

I still remember going to the premier of Return of the King, best day ever! My friends and I made special matching LOTR t-shirts and when Legolas and Gimli were competing in who killed most Orcs we were going crazy.

Did any of you do costumes?
Aelin
Petitioner to the Council

Re: Hello all :)

Postby White Shadow » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:56 am

Hello Aelin, welcome to TORC. :)

I think this topic is probably best suited in the Talk forum, where it is likely to get more answers than here. I shall move it there, but leave a "shadow" behind in the Welcome forum so people will still be able to see the thread in there.

Welcome again.

~*~*~*~*~*~
White Shadow
White Council Moderator
White Shadow
Shield Bearer

Postby heliona » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:26 am

Hello Aelin. Welcome to TORC (as this forum is known, for "The One Ring.Com"). I shall do my best to answer your questions.

Almost as long as I can remember. I was introduced to The Hobbit when I was about five and I was hooked on Middle-earth. I tried to read LotR when I was about eight and failed; I got as far as Frodo meeting Gildor Inglorion and I couldn't mentally pronounce the elvish names in my head, so I had to stop. I returned to it when I was about fourteen and went on from there.

Have you read the books?

As will already be obvious, the answer is "yes". :D I've also read The Silmarillion, several books in the History of Middle-earth, Unfinished Tales, History of The Hobbit, and various other non-Middle-earth books by Tolkien.

You'll find that most people on this forum have read the books, and often many years before the films were produced (like myself). So just for future reference and avoidance of confusion, when people talk about LotR or The Hobbit, unless they state otherwise, they're probably talking about the books. :)

Which is your favourite film?

Assuming that you're talking about the films of Middle-earth (and remember that there are more than just the Peter Jackson ones ;) ) I'd have to say that "Fellowship of the Ring" is my favourite. It is closest to the books and has the best tone.

Favourite character, why?

This is a tricky one, and actually depends whether you are talking about the films or the books, because in many cases there is a lot of difference. I will be talking about the books, because that's what I was introduced to and of course is also the source material.

For me, I think I'd have to plump for Gandalf. I loved his sarcastic, dry humour in The Hobbit as a child, and couldn't shake that when I read LotR. Purely from The Hobbit I'd go for Balin - his character just tickled me as a child. Purely from LotR I'd have to say Glorfindel. Although he isn't in it for much, he epitomises for the mysterious elf, with his fabulous horse and powerful magic.

I can understand why it was done, but it shouldn't have been. However, I'm a purist when it comes to the films, particularly The Hobbit as it is a childhood love. All that fluff and nonsense that was elaborated on and made up to extend the story into three was just rubbish. The entirely made-up stuff involving Gandalf and Dol Guldur I quite liked, and understood why it was done, however the story could have been done almost straight from the books and been a fabulous film (or perhaps two, but certainly not three).

To be honest, not much. There was a lot of stuff in the films I'd like to take out, on the other hand!

I'd have to go for the Last Homely House. Rivendell is so homely (not so much in the films - I imagine without any windows it'd get a bit cold in winter!) and the inhabitants would have plenty of stories to tell. I might have to visit Hobbiton occasionally, though.

I still remember going to the premier of Return of the King, best day ever! My friends and I made special matching LOTR t-shirts and when Legolas and Gimli were competing in who killed most Orcs we were going crazy.

No, not really a costume person.

~*~*~*~

Hope that helped and sparks a discussion. :) Again, welcome.
Image<-- Sir Gwaine representing the letter "G" in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:54 pm

How long have you been a fan of LOTR? Since.... 1975 :shock:

Have you read the books? What the heck??!! Yes!!! See answer to question above. ;)

Which is your favorite film? Return of the King. Or maybe Fellowship.

Favorite character, why? Ummmm. Gollum?

What did you think about The Hobbit being done in three parts? meh.

What would you like to have seen in the films that wasn't included? Well, there's good ol' Tom B. :D

I wish I could live in Rivendell or Hobbiton, I can't choose!! You? Hobbiton. 8)

MoME memories. . .

---------------------------------

Watch my (low budget) movie
here!!!

For more fun, watch this video! ->

Star Trek meets Monty Python!!
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:04 am

Mae Govannen Aelin! Welcome to TORC or the One Ring.Com as we are called.

As to your questions let me have a go at answering the best I can for myself:

I first heard of JRR Tolkien in the 7th grade. My reading teacher read The Hobbit to us in class and I fell in love with the story because of my vivid mental pictures of the scenes as he read. That has been many many years ago. Like 1968.

Have you read the books?
I read the books first and have continued to read them most every year since I first heard The Hobbit. I started buying my first books in the early 70s when I could afford to buy my own. I got one of the first additions of the Silmarillion when it came out.

Hm... now that is a tough one cause I love the films both Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. But probably the Two Towers if I had to choose one.

Favorite character, why?
Now this one most everyone knows about me.... I love the elves and particularly Haldir and even got to meet the actor Craig Parker in Toronto in 2003 for the premier of the Return of the King at the Grand Gathering of the Fellowship along with like 1600 other fans. It was fabulous and I wish we could do it again!!! I got to meet and hang out with Bruce Hopkins too with our group hanging out at the hotel late at night either in the lobby or in the bar. He was running from the teenagers who kept trailing after him.

Not thrilled at first but I do love the movies and the way he brought in information from the appendices so that we got some back ground of where things came from. Or how the story started with certain incidents.

I wanted to see Glorfindel in the LoTR movies and was so sad that they substituted Arwen in those scenes.

I would definitely live in Rivendell! I love waterfalls and the out of doors with the birds and vast open spaces. Hobbiton wouldn't be bad either but I have always loved meadows and waterfalls.

Yes I have worn costumes not only to the premiers but also at the Grand Gathering in Toronto. I arrived on the plane there with several fellow fans and we were wearing out cloaks and got noticed by folks at the airport there. I pictures of us in garb and as a group. It was such fun to be dressed up and spending a week in meetings, classes and interview panels with stars and fellow enthusiasts. We spent most of the week in garb and loved it.

WE met John Reyes Davies in Seattle at the premier of The Two Towers as we were waiting in line for the premier to start. We were dressed up and having a great time when we found out he had been at the theater for a special showing for the rich big wigs in Seattle, but he heard about us outside and came out to meet us. He called us his "Insane Torc Posse"! We got autographs and pictures with him as well as he brought us out gifts a bit later that they had handed out to the big wigs earlier in the evening. What a thrill!!!
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:39 pm

Aelin wrote:

7th or 8th grade, I'm not sure. I had a crush on Legolas when Orlando Bloom would have been in primary school.

Aelin wrote:Have you read the books?

Yes. The Hobbit I've read dozens of times.

Aelin wrote:Which is your favorite film?

The Return of the King
Aelin wrote:Favorite character, why?

Pippin. He's just an adorable little fellow who keeps going, no matter what is thrown at him.

Aelin wrote:What did you think about The Hobbit being done in three parts?

Allow me to quote heliona who said:
heliona wrote: All that fluff and nonsense that was elaborated on and made up to extend the story into three was just rubbish. The entirely made-up stuff involving Gandalf and Dol Guldur I quite liked, and understood why it was done, however the story could have been done almost straight from the books and been a fabulous film (or perhaps two, but certainly not three).
That's exactly how I feel. Just exactly.
Aelin wrote:What would you like to have seen in the films that wasn't included?

Again let me quote heliona:
heliona wrote: To be honest, not much. There was a lot of stuff in the films I'd like to take out, on the other hand!
Again, just exactly, exactly the same.

Aelin wrote:I wish I could live in Rivendell or Hobbiton, I can't choose!! You?

Rivendell. Very pretty there. But golly, Hobbiton is a very close second. They're both awesome.

Aelin wrote:Did any of you do costumes?
I wore a costume to a Renaissance fair a few times. Not to anything LOTR related.
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Postby Arassuil » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:54 pm

Mae govannen Aelin!

Since the First Age

Have you read the books?

Countless times over the years for Lord of the Rings, a few times for Silmarillion, Children of Hurin, and Unfinished Tales, once for The Hobbit, and sampled bits and pieces of HoME.

The first part of the extended edition of Fellowship of the Ring. (then the revisionist screenplay took hold)

Favorite character, why?

Halbarad because he was effectively the captain of the Dunedain Rangers of the North while Chieftain Aragorn was off serving and wandering other parts of Middle Earth. He stood against the Black Riders at Sarn Ford, and later mustered as many Rangers as he could to ride south to aid Aragorn.

Meh

Lord of the Rings: the Dunedain Rangers, the Sons of Elrond, and the Variags of Khand.
Hobbit: Its more of what was included that wasn’t necessary.

Of the two, I’d likely spend time in Rivendell, though the legendary beer at the Green Dragon is a temptation. My choice would be to live in Annuminas in the early Third Age.

Made an attempt at some for the Return of the King premiere. Now, do quite a bit for the local Medieval/Renaissance Faires and banquets.
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby IsildursHeir » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:48 pm

Oops. Wrong thread. :oops:
IsildursHeir
Ringbearer

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby