Pinterest or Instagram to promote?

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Pinterest or Instagram to promote?

Postby brodobaggins » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:21 am

Long story... but I'll try to keep it brief. My sister and I are obvs huge Tolkien fans, and she's a dab hand at the ol cross-stitching. She's started making some LOTR-inspired patterns and they are getting pretty good! (pictures on the way, she is a bit shy about showing them). Because she says I'm the tech person, she wanted to know if she can promote/sell her creations eventually one Pinterest or Instagram.

Think either one would be helpful for selling? Or people would just 'like' the photo and move on...
brodobaggins
Citizen of Imladris

Re: Pinterest or Instagram to promote?

Postby Frelga » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:45 am

Pinterest is rolling out some options to sell the product right off the pin, but I don't know if they are suitable for a hobbyist. Has she considered Etsy?
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby brodobaggins » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:13 am

Ah okay, sounds cool! Hmm I don't think either of us have considered Etsy :/Are you active on it?
brodobaggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby heliona » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:01 am

Etsy is the place to sell handcrafted items. I don't use it as a seller (I'm not that way inclined!) but I've used it a lot as a buyer. It sounds ideal for what you're wanting to do and it is very well known. I don't use either Pinterest or Instagram so I can't comment on them, but I do know that I find it incredibly irritating that to see anything on Pinterest you have to register. Not ideal if you're wanting to sell to the general public, as not all of us have accounts. ;)

Good luck!
Image<-- Are you looking for me? It's Squirrel Month in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby brodobaggins » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:20 am

Etsy eh? *strokes beard* That just might work tbh. Yeah anytime I want to look at something on Pinterest, a wild pop up appears and tells me to register! I think I prefer promotion on Instagram, as I think a lot more people use it and it doesn't have wild pop ups. Do you think people are looking for handcrafted LOTR items? Hard to know what people want exactly... I wonder if people still care about LOTR in general.
brodobaggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Frelga » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:29 am

If it exists, someone is looking for it. I was looking for a respectable appearing jewelry featuring bones of the foot once. Found it, too.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby brodobaggins » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:29 am

Frelga wrote:If it exists, someone is looking for it. I was looking for a respectable appearing jewelry featuring bones of the foot once. Found it, too.

Haha! I'm keen to know what respectable appearing foot bone jewelry looks like! By the way... just a quick throwback to the Pinterest vs. Instagram debate, have you seen this article? Pretty insane that IG has 300 million more users than Pinterest, I was way surprised at that! It feels as ifPinterest is less about a community though... I don't really like that. I think IG really builds something worthwhile imo
brodobaggins
Citizen of Imladris

Postby CharlotteReyer » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:12 pm

I recommend instagram over pinterest and etsy over instagram :twisted:
CharlotteReyer
Petitioner to the Council

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby