Men Of Middle Earth (MoME) 2016

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Re: Men Of Middle Earth (MoME) 2016

Postby Cute_and_CuddlyRaccoons » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:44 pm

Tony peered through the periscope. "Hey. There's some guy walking on a log up there!"

"A contestant?" Louie asked.

"I think so."

"Well, let's try this out then. Run up the shark fin...."
Cute_and_CuddlyRaccoons
Rider of the Mark

Postby notlistening » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:37 pm

Pippin was lying in a field of wildflowers while a comely lady was braiding his hair…as he nibbled on mushrooms...

“Up…now!” a voice interrupted his musings. A booted foot pushed him gently.

“5 more minutes, Merry …” Pippin murmured and rolled over.

The boot pushed him hard and he rolled off the bed, onto the floor and suddenly wide awake.

“What did you do that for? I was having such a lovely dream...” Pippin glowered at Mal, who stood over him.

“It’s time for the River contest. And you don’t look ready.” Nl said, holding up his tartan swimming trunks.

“Oh, that. I’m all over that. Jayne has taken my specialty craft down to the starting line.” Pippin got up and took his trunks to change into. He ducked into the bathroom.

“That’s all well and good but the race started about an hour ago, while you were off smoking long bottom leaf with the racoons.” nl told him, as clothes were thrown out the door.

“Well, good thing I’m small and fast then.” Pippin said, emerging in his tight tartan shorts, very white skin and flippers stuck on his furry feet. Mal held his tongue as the hobbit waddled out of the suite, slid down the banister and out the front door.

Nl and Mal followed after him, giggling at the duck walking hobbit. "I think this cunning plan will come to a bad end." Mal told her, extending his arm to help her over the rocks.

They reached the river and saw most of the competitors were already well down the river.

“How are you going to catch them now?” nl asked. She popped up her lace parasol to shade her delicate complexion from the harsh sun.

Jayne appeared from the shed with a large barrel. Pippin hopped inside, his flippers making it a bit awkward.

“You remember Bilbo’s stories of the dwarves and the barrel ride down the river? Well, this is my version.” He popped on a pair of goggles.

"Pippin, I think there's more to it than that. You have no oars, rudders...what are the flippers actually for?" nl wanted to know.

"For it I fall out..." Pippin steeled himself. “Jayne, push!”

The man-ape-gone –wrong gave the barrel a mighty heave and Pippin was off, splashing down through the rapids with a wild laugh…that soon turned into a girly scream as he had no way of steering said barrel and there was a shark fin closing in on him.

"So if he dies, I get his share, right?" Jayne asked, stretching out his back.

"If he dies, he can't win so there would be no money, Jayne." nl pointed out.

"Oh yeah, nuthin' take away the nuthin..."

“Oh, yeah, this is gonna go well…” Mal said, shaking his head with laughter.
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Ladykat » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:47 am

“Wow! Look at the ferrets go,” LK said, watching as the ferret craft seem to skim over the top of the water. “Of course they weigh next to nothing, so I guess that helps, unless the rapids upset them. Sam's doing pretty well, too. Wonder where he learned to handle a kayak like that?”

“More than one can say for Hama,” Salem snickered as Hama's boat floundered and then sank. “The horse lords should stick to riding horses.” “Oh I don't know, Gamling seems to be doing all right,” LK noted, pointing as Gamling cautiously navigated the rapids.

They turned their attention back to Hama as he made his sodden way to shore, only to be stood on a log, and shoved back into the water by Tooks.

“A log?' LK said dubiously. “Maybe he should have taken a tip from Bilbo and used a barrel...”

No sooner had she said this, than Pippen appeared in a wildly spinning barrel, screaming at the top of his voice, and being chased by a......

“Is that a------- SHARK?!” Open mouthed, LK stared in astonishment, while Salem rolled on the deck, helpless with laughter.

LK
Ladykat
Between the Worlds of Men and Make Believe I Can be Found

Postby Cute_and_CuddlyRaccoons » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:19 pm

Fred and his crew rowed harder. He looked back and saw a log roller frantically trying to stay afloat.

"We are winning, you scurvy limeys! Row! Row!"
Cute_and_CuddlyRaccoons
Rider of the Mark

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:29 pm

Tooks saw the fin before Hama did. She signaled the cabana boy for another pitcher of margaritas. It was going to be another one of those MoMEs.

The fin circled Hama.

"AAAIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" He tried to change direction, but couldn't. Within seconds Hama completely lost control of the log (and his bladder). He took a header into the water....

Into the drink

"Wow. That was impressive," Tooks said to no one in particular. "The judges ought to give him some points for that."

July is PAR-TAY month!!! We celebrate the return of TORC!!!!111

:D

---------------------------------

Watch my (low budget) movie
here!!!

For more fun, watch this video! ->

Star Trek meets Monty Python!!
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby notlistening » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:15 pm

nl, Mal and Jayne made their way to the end of the course to wait with the other sponsors and the judges.

Some of the contestants had already arrived so nl was wondering what was taking Pippin so long. Had he found an overhanging branch full of apples and stopped to partake? Surely with the amount of food he had stored in the barrel, stopping for snacks was not necessary...

It was then she started to see the fruit arriving, apples and pears bobbling along the waves, even a cantelope rolled up on shore...followed by some splintered wood and a lone flipper.

"I'd say the plan didn't come together for the hobbit." Mal pointed out.

"So where is Pippin? Can he even swim? I forgot to ask..." nl blushed.

"Good work, dumbass...not asking something so important." Jayne grinned, grabbing an apple from the beach.

"Do they have surf life savers working here..." nl was starting to get worried as the other flipper rolled to shore.

"Calm down, mei mei" Mal said. "I'm sure the little guy is fine..."

Just as nl was about to call out the Natonal Guard, Pippin came around the bend, clutching a slightly chewed watermelon and was bobbing along on the waves. She sighed happily, glad her contestant wasn't dead after all.

"Uh, should he be eating his floatation device like that?" Mal asked as the shark fin zipped past on a wet furry back. "I knew that wasn't a real shark."

Pippin staggered to shore and collapsed face first into the watermelon.

"Time to collect my winnings." Jayne announced and headed back to the inn.

"Winnings? You bet on him?" nl called after him.

"Not to win...just to live," Jayne gave a jaunty wave and pulled his cunning hat on.
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:42 pm

Meanwhile, Samwise finished his course. It was exhilarating, to say the least. He got out to the cheers of the waiting soldiers. He got out and went to the shore, and the soldiers picked up the kayak.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1320/1 ... 474091.jpg

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:24 am

Hama staggered ashore where Tooks waited patiently.

"Um... good job!" she tried to be encouraging. "Now...on to the next challenge."

"Wha...." Hama fell face first into the mud.

here!!!

Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Cute_and_CuddlyRaccoons » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:16 am

By time Louie and Tony had docked the submarine, the ferret crew had already descended upon the pub and drunk most of the grog.
When the raccoons finally arrived, it wasn't a pretty sight.
Cute_and_CuddlyRaccoons
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ninui » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:36 pm

Ninui,Maybon,and Gamling sat together in the banquet hall enjoying a rare quiet time during MoME. Enjoying the lunch they had chosen from the never ending samples at the buffet table,Ninui asked Gamling, "How is the dance practice going. Need any assistance"?
Gamling swallowed his food. "Some inspiration from a champion is always welcome,Ninui". As she bowed her head slightly towards him in acknowledgement, he continued. " We've all done this dance before,but not with each other. If you could get us all on the same pace it could be all that is needed".

Maybon had gone up to the buffet once again while Ninui sat with her coffee and Gamling with an ale when Theoden came in the room. When they noticed him, the two began to rise from their seat. He quickly bade them to sit and, with a chair furnished by one of the aides who came in with him, Theoden sat between Ninui and Gamling. "So", he began as a cup of ale was set beside him by the other aide had gotten for his king, "How goes the competition thus far"?
"Very well from where we stand ,sire". Ninui stated. "as to the judges you can never tell. They are a tight lipped bunch this year. No hint at all from they what so ever on how they feel on the competitors".
Theoden nodded his head as he drank his ale. "They were as such when Eomere and I competed. But perhaps I can help in a small way". With a motion of his hand, an aide set three small festively wrapped boxes on the table. As he slid them to Ninui, "With my pleasure I hope that you accept these small tokens from me on behalf of one of my most trusted aides".
"Sire". Gamling whispered in surprise not knowing how to speak. Theoden waved his hands at the writs. He stood,raise his cup to his lips and as a true man of Rohan, finished it in a single swallow. Ninui and Gamling rose and bowed their heads as Theoden walked from the banquet room. Ninui looked at the boxes that still rested on the table. "Nice to find your held in such high esteem, isn't it"? she asked Gamling who just nodded his head still to speechless.
Ninui called for a lad and security guard. It took a few moments for them to arrive for the service was in well use at this time. Maybon had returned from the buffet line with desert plates for all. excusees of being way laid by friends not seen for just ages by the time the lad and guard had come to their table.
"Please take these tokens to the judges and mc." she said as she placed the boxes in the lads hands. " Say they are from King Theoden on behalf of his most trusted aide Gamling".
The lad nodded his head once then the two left the room.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/da/47/e5/da47e5fdefea390e698b37e606e72741.jpg
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:05 am

"Here, put this on," Tooks handed Hama a skimpy piece of tartan.

Hama sighed.

here!!!

Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Cute_and_CuddlyRaccoons » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:55 pm

"He DOES look pretty cute," Tony admitted.

Louie nodded and smiled. "Come on, Fred. On to the next event!"

Fred yawned and jumped off the bed.

Cute_and_CuddlyRaccoons
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ninui » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:17 pm

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen and your highness," Ninui said into the microphone bowing her head to Theoden who sat in the front row and center. "Tonight my friend Gamling,along with three of his friends, will be performing a highland dance for you. It was a long frustrating practice but they assure me that all is ready for your viewing. So ladies, gentlemen, judges, mc, and your highness I give you Gamling and friends".
With their announcement the four men,(being greeted with a round of applause), in highland kilts and jackets took center stage. Taking up their start positions they began.

https://youtu.be/BPDWsQbX6Bc
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Ladykat » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:25 am

Aside: Please note, this takes place BEFORE the next competition starts. I should have posted sooner but Ninui beat me to the punch. Er, post. :D

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Back in their room at the inn, Salem was in his glory, busy sampling all of the goodies that had been included in Gamling's gift to the judges. “At least I'll get Sam's fruit basket all to myself,” she thought ruefully, watching the big cat scarf down one sweet after another.

As she was examining some of the other gifts, there was a knock on the door. Opening it, she saw two armed guards and a messenger holding yet another gift box.”More food?” This was from Salem, who had suddenly appeared at her side, trailing cookie crumbs and cake icing. The startled lad took a step back. “Ah, no...I mean, I don't kn.....” Swallowing hard, he blurted,”This is from King Theoden on behalf of his aide Gamling. Also milady, they want me to tell you the next competetion is about to start.”

“Oh. All right, well thank you,” she called after the lad who all but ran from the room. She hurried to the closet to get a change of clothes, opening the gift as she went. On seeing the watch, Salem immediately lost interest, and went back to the food. “Why would they think you needed a watch?” he asked. “Oh, I don't know, maybe because SOMEONE is always making me late for things,” she replied, looking pointedly at the cat. “Punctuality is overrated,” Salem yawned, dipping his paw into some ice cream.

LK bit back a retort. Quickly changing her clothes, she started for the door, stopping halfway across the room. “Well? Are you coming?” she demanded. “No, you go ahead. I'll be along in an hour or two,” Salem purred. Shaking her head, LK left. The big, silly furball was going to eat himself comatose again, she just knew it. Idly, she wondered if Iris had the same problem with Shadow.

LK
Ladykat
Between the Worlds of Men and Make Believe I Can be Found

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:44 pm

Hama was ready. "Where is the dwarf-tossing venue?" he asked.

"Not dwarfs. Cabers," Tooks corrected him.

"What's a caber?"

here!!!

Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Cute_and_CuddlyRaccoons » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:48 pm

"How is a ferret gonna a throw a big log?" Tony was puzzled.

"He's gonna need some help," Louie replied.

"How?"

"I have an idea. Come on...."
Cute_and_CuddlyRaccoons
Rider of the Mark

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:09 am

"Okay. I am ready," Hama said.

"Wait...what's that?" Tooks asked.

"My caber."

"That's not a caber."

"It's what I'm tossing. You'd better move..."

"Waaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiitttt............"

But it was too late.

Hama's caber toss.

here!!!

Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Ninui » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:22 pm

Ninui and Gamling stood on the sidelines watching Hama as he tossed his caber. They both gave him a solid round of applause when he completed the toss. Gamling went up and congratulated his friend with a short clasp on the back and wide smile. Ninui did not hear what they were talking about as they waked from the game field but it was becoming loud and laughing as two good friends would do in times as such. She hated to break it up but since it was Gamling turn coming up next she had to.
"Very good showing,Hama. A job well done". Ninui said with a smile. "But I must take Gamling now. His turn is coming up real soon".
"My thanks to you,Ninui. And please take my pardon in detaining my friend Gamling. I assure you I shall be cheering him on from the sidelines just as he has for me". Hama relied as he shook his friends hand and a slap to his shoulder.
"Concentrate on the objective,Gamling and you'll do just fine and good". Ninui said to her friend stopping at the entry gate for the playing field. Gamling signed in with the officials . He smiled with a short nod to Ninui then entered the field.

He walked up to the caber standing at one end waiting for the assistants to arrive. When they did the competition began.

https://youtu.be/xb0FU8rSisU
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Cute_and_CuddlyRaccoons » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:25 pm

"Okay, here's the plan," Louie whispered into Tony's ear.

"Sounds like it'll work," Tony chuckled. "This will be great."

They scurried off to find Fred....

Soon the contestant entered the field of play.....

"Ouch. You're stepping on my ear!" Louie grumbled under his breath.

"Don't move so fast," Tony replied. "It's hard keeping my balance!"

"There's the caber," Fred reminded them. "Pick it up, Tony. And toss it!"

Tony grabbed the caber and tried to lift it.

"It's heavy! I need help!"

"You have one job," Louie said. "Pick it up and tos...." as he stubbed his toe on a rock.

"I can't hold on! My two fingers can't ho......"

The tower of raccoons, ferret, and caber tumbled to the ground.
Cute_and_CuddlyRaccoons
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ninui » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:32 pm

Ninui sent to stout guards with the rather large trolley cart down to Judge LK's rooms. She had to send the men for she couldn't get a lad willing to go because of the intimidating cat that was with her.
Perhaps this would sooth that cat somewhat she was hoping but didn't really expect it. They got to the room just as it's two occupants arrived for a short time off from the competition.
"We have a delivery for Salem the Cat", one of the guards said as LK stepped aside to let the large trolley to enter.
"Place it here if you will",LK instructed them. They obliged her and with a bit of a struggle the large package was off loaded. "Have a good afternoon, M'Lady". he said to her and they left the room.
"Salem you've got mail"she called into the next room.

http://www.slightlywarped.com/crapfactory/curiosities/2012/may/images/tardis46.jpg
Last edited by Ninui on Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby notlistening » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:51 pm

Pippin needed no encouragement to take part in the Highland games thing. He was dressed in his kilt and wig before nl and Mal got back from the river…by way of the bar. For some reason Mal was afraid of kilts…or was it bagpipes? And needed a stiff drink to get through the next contest. Or maybe he really wanted a drink?

Pippin decided to do his dance AND caber toss at the same time. So carrying the almost unwieldy lump of wood, Pippin staggered onto the stage and began his hornpipe dance (he learned on a ship once from Russell Crowe) after several turns he had enough momentum to toss the caber quite a distance, missing where nl and Mal were standing by inches. They both ran backwards with the crowd to avoid being hit. The caber did demolish the ice sculpture of Gandalf the White.

“Opps,” Pippin grinned then laid down Sting and Glandring and started his sword dance. “Ouch, ohh, ouch…*&%&^$#” he yelped as the shiny even blades began to cut his hairy feet. He slid across the stage, leaving a bloody skid mark and did the splits in front of the judges, his kilt fluttering around him.

“Well, that was an eye opener and no mistake.” Mal said, wincing. “Splinters…”

“Yeah, I told him to wear underpants…” nl looked away.
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:24 am

"Here.... you wear a red kilt for this one," Tooks handed it to Hama.

"I don't know how to dance," he lamented.

"Not to worry. I got some professionals here to show you how," Tooks beamed. "Just go out there and follow their lead."

"You sure about this?"

"Have I ever been wrong?"

Hama (in the red kilt) does a dance.

here!!!

Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Calma » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:49 am

Loiue takes a little snack break before returning to MoME

Celebrating the return of TORC!
There's a party in the TVM!!! :D

Join the funWith The TVM

CAT LOVERS GUILD :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!

WINS: 30 :D

LOSSES: 30 :P

SOUNDERS!!!

Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby Cute_and_CuddlyRaccoons » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:08 am

Louie washes up after his snack.

"Much better," he announced. "Now I feel ready to help Fred take on the next event!"
Cute_and_CuddlyRaccoons
Rider of the Mark

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:06 pm

"Archery! I will excel at this!" Hama was confident. "I trained all my life for a moment such as this."

He grabbed his bow and went to the course. His stance was perfect. His aim was dead on. As he prepared to release the string, a stray raccoon wandered up behind him.....

"AIIIAAEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" Hama screamed. The arrow went wild, flying straight up into the air. Everyone ran for their lives.

here!!!

Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Cute_and_CuddlyRaccoons » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:18 pm

Fred was ready for his dance.

"Doesn't look very highland to me," Tony observed.

"Ferrets are weird," Louie nodded.

Fred dances..

:shock:
Last edited by Cute_and_CuddlyRaccoons on Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cute_and_CuddlyRaccoons
Rider of the Mark

Postby Cock-Robin » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:17 pm

Samwise was next to arrive in his kilt. He began with the sword dance, and he was whirling like a dervish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgfWG0lBHZM

The next was the caber toss, and Samwise had his bow and arrows in his quiver. He did the toss,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZOeHoyNd6c

and then, while it was still upright, he shot five arrows at it, one after the other.

He bowed to the judges.
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1320/1 ... 474091.jpg

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Ninui » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:55 pm

Well Gamling ," Ninui said as they approached a wooded area just off to the side of the caber field. "This is the last of your challenges in a kilt. Archery."
"Aye. It sure will be, Ninui." he replied walking beside her a bow in one hand and a quiver of arrows slung across his back. Ninui. I am worried about the next challenge. An essay on how I would become king of Gondor. I have no desire to do such so how can I write how I would do it"?
"Let your imagination go crazy on this one, Gamling. Have a bit of fun with it or be as serious as you want." She paused a moment as Gamling nodded his head in acknowledgement. "Besides. They're only wanting fifty words or less and I'm here to render any assistance you made need". When they got to the edge of the wood, "My you do look good in that camoflague kilt,Gamling".
"If I had to chose, I'd take the red one I dance in over this one ."
"Goes better with the woods though doesn't it"
Gamling smiled and nodded his head then stepped into the woods and walked over to the archery site that had been assigned to him.

https://youtu.be/xZjnNbPA0e8
Last edited by Ninui on Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Cute_and_CuddlyRaccoons » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:20 pm

Fred stepped up to perform the archery challenge. He drew back the bow but dropped the arrow.

"Let me help," Louie volunteered. He placed the arrow on the string.

"That's not right," Tony interjected. "My mom was an expert at this stuff. Lemme show you.."

"Your momma?"

"Yea...Fred, you do this and move to the side a bit..... Louie, knock it off!"

"Guys, my toe is caught in somethin.." Fred tried to interrupt.

"YOU move!" Louie gave Tony a shove.

"Hey, gimme that..." Tony shoved back.

TWANG!

Suddenly Fred was flying through the air.

"iIIIIIIIIiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee........"

Downfield, Hama heard a commotion and turned just in time for a frantic ferret to land on his head.
Cute_and_CuddlyRaccoons
Rider of the Mark

Postby Calma » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:51 pm

From her rocky perch, Calma watched the the games and was impressed by the athletic endeavors of the contestants.

Archie dressed in his kilt, watched from a lower perspective and was tempted to join in the games, but didn't.

Both cheered the feats of strength and accuracy of all also how light on the contestants were on their feet. This was indeed a good competition by all. When Pippin's dance came to its conclusion and he did the splits, the graying TORC'er nearly fell off her rocky perch but Archie's empathy made him crunch over and bite his lower lip as he limped away....

Calma wondered if Pippin would survive...

Celebrating the return of TORC!
There's a party in the TVM!!! :D

Join the funWith The TVM

CAT LOVERS GUILD :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!

WINS: 30 :D

LOSSES: 30 :P

SOUNDERS!!!

Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady