Going to the Philippines in November, any tips are welcome!

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Going to the Philippines in November, any tips are welcome!

Postby Storyteller » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:41 am

Hey TORCers,

So I've just done the crazy thing I've been thinking of for months, and booked a ticket to the Philippines for November, all by myself, just over 2 weeks. I don't have the first clue about the country beyond the most general info, and I will appreciate any tips - where to go, what to beware of, what to keep in mind, what can make my trip easier etc.

My interests: I am not a swimmer and I am less interested in beaches and surf and diving, more into nature, landscapes, culture, history and food. I am not going within a cannon shot of Mindanao for any reason whatsoever. I'm quite inexperienced as a trekker/hiker and this is officially my first ever trip to Asia unless a 23 hour layover in South Korea 8 years ago counts.

All advice will be appreciated. Except advice to try balut. Not happening even at gunpoint.
"...Their aim in war with Germany is nothing more, nothing less than extermination of Hitlerism... There is absolutely no justification for this kind of war. The ideology of Hitlerism, just like any other ideological system, can be accepted or rejected, this is a matter of political views. But everyone grasps, that an ideology can not be exterminated by force, must not be finished off with a war.” - Vyacheslav Molotov, ""On the Foreign Policy of the Soviet Union", 31 October 1939
Storyteller
Mariner

Re: Going to the Philippines in November, any tips are welco

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:16 pm

Wish I could help, but I have never been there my ownself. I can try to help dig up some information though.

8)

And then there was the time contestants and sponsors ended up in the hot tub...

---------------------------------

Watch my (low budget) movie
here!!!

For more fun, watch this video! ->

Star Trek meets Monty Python!!
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Ladykat » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:54 am

Storyteller wrote:All advice will be appreciated. Except advice to try balut. Not happening even at gunpoint.

Never been there either. What's balut? :?

LK
Ladykat
Between the Worlds of Men and Make Believe I Can be Found

Postby hamlet » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:39 am

*jealous*
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Storyteller » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:27 pm

Ladykat wrote:
Storyteller wrote:All advice will be appreciated. Except advice to try balut. Not happening even at gunpoint.

Never been there either. What's balut? :?

LK

It's a popular street food over there. A fertilized duck egg that is incubated until the embryo is about two weeks' age, then boiled and eaten.
"...Their aim in war with Germany is nothing more, nothing less than extermination of Hitlerism... There is absolutely no justification for this kind of war. The ideology of Hitlerism, just like any other ideological system, can be accepted or rejected, this is a matter of political views. But everyone grasps, that an ideology can not be exterminated by force, must not be finished off with a war.” - Vyacheslav Molotov, ""On the Foreign Policy of the Soviet Union", 31 October 1939
Storyteller
Mariner

Postby Tempest » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:50 pm

I grew up in the Philippines! It's a beautiful county with beautiful people. If you want Nature stuff, check out Taal volcano---lots of interesting things to see there. The most beautiful island to visit is Palawan---I was never able to get there, but I always wished I had. Bagiuo and Subic Bay are also worth checking out. If you get a chance, see Pagsanjan Falls and visit the coconut plantation called Villa Escudero---it has a cool waterfall restaurant.

Manila is kind of a nightmare with traffic, but don't let it scare you! Once you get outside the city, it's more relaxing. And the people are wonderfully friendly!
Tempest
Ranger of the North

Postby Storyteller » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:16 pm

Yes, Taal is in my plans, as is Mount Mayon and the Bohol island.

And yes, I've been warned about Manila. Repeatedly.
Storyteller
Mariner

Postby hamlet » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:42 am

Balut . . just no. Not a chance. Worse than a Century Egg.

*shudder*
hamlet
Ringbearer

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby