HEEELLLLLOOOOOOOOOO the home alone thread

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Re: HEEELLLLLOOOOOOOOOO the home alone thread

Postby Ninui » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:33 pm

Have you tried $ Store cleaner called Awesome ? Great stuff. Recommend you dilute it first. Really good. Used it when I had my shop. And there's no scent to it !! Love their cleaning stuff and hair ties,scrunchies things. Can waste much time in that section. Still don't trust the pet section too much though. There's some frozen foods at ours. They had some blue 20 oz glass ware a year or so ago that I'm glad I stocked up on 'cause I haven't seen them since. Should I trust the dinnerware to not be finished with lead paint ?
rwhen, is your store going to be a $ plus store? I don't doubt the one here will jump on that wagon. There had better be an upgrade on stuff if they do.(some of the things DO look cheap).

And rwhen, that's Gamling. He can do a highland dance in a kilt and kiyak the heck out of the best of them but faints dead away when speaking in public. Hope your shift goes smoothly.
.. :D
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:43 pm

I have the Awesome cleaner. It does a good job of preventing wine stains *cough* if you zap the material before the stain has a chance to dry. It also does a good job as a spot cleaner for carpets.
Image All things Nature at the TVM this month.

Monarch caterpillars!

(for Calma)
---------------------------------
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby rwhen » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:30 am

Ninui....nope, our store is the traditional $ store, everything a buck. Also the store where I work is a smaller footprint than others I have been in and it is crammed to the rafters with "stuff".....though there are bargains to be had. I buy many of my cleaning products there. They all seem to work just fine for me. I was raised in the age of Comet and still use it mostly in the bathroom. ;) Actually their dry foods isle is pretty good. I use it to stock up on Ramen soup, jams, pasta, canned tomatoes, dried spices, also my store get fresh Sarah Lee breads every Tuesday....white, wheat, sourdough, burger buns, dog buns, cinnamon bread.....Tuesdays are a VERY crazy day some people buy like ten loaves. But I do think people get carried away thinking that anything for a buck is a good deal when the regular grocery store regularly has items like canned tomatoes two for a buck or under a dollar. Oh paper products, that is a big saver for me. At a buck a piece I stock up on paper towels, toilet tissue and Kleenex.

Hey Tooks....we sell those smaller flamingo lawn decor too. LOL.

Okay....from Saturday last when I wrote I was off to a night shift. Crazy busy and I had a mid shift on Sunday...so I tried to get enough sleep and pretty much zombied into work right on time. I wasn't on the register 20 minutes when the assist. mgr came up and told me the closer called in sick and she couldn't find anyone to come in and would I cover????? HELLLLLLLLLOOOOOO that is around 10 hours straight. But me being the soft touch that I am said okay, what was I to do? By the time ten PM came around literally it was all I could do to waddle to my car. My feet, ankles, knees, arms, shoulders and neck were totally over stressed. As a result, my skinny butt stayed on the couch for the day yesterday feeding my face with Advil and trying to sleep. I am NOT a person who can nap, so last night I did well. I was supposed to have four days off...but today I got a call that they have no one to open tomorrow. So I'll be working again mid week, then back on Friday afternoon and Saturday closing.

I think they are trying to kill me. And partly succeeding. Hey at least I will love my paycheck next week. My issue is that I was told and promised this was only a part time job....15 hours a week max...which is all I need to make up for what I don't get on Social Security. But there are two regulars out on medical and now the main manager is out on medical....with others just calling in sick at random. Leaves it to the rest of the skeleton crew to make it work.

Hey Tooks....the sailing into the West siggie pic is perfect. I imagine Calma there waving back to the shore with Gandalf, Frodo and Bilbo. *sigh*

Okay....that is more than enough for me to write and I doubt there is even one person who will read it all. LOL maybe it is good for the soul to get it out.

HHHHHEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!! Come on in and post on up. The house needs a good cleaning. :D *runs*

PS....I spoke to Vanadarlin' on Saturday and she has had some serious health issues. So good thoughts would be appreciated. :hug:
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Yes Ayslhyn, I do still remember.

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:04 am

Oi, rwhen...maybe don't pick up the phone? Say you have other plans/an appointment? You need to take care of yourself!!

I've recently overdone yard work/moving/cleaning and couldn't sleep due to pain after advil & tylenol & 'sleep aid' (benedryl that I get at the $ store to help me fall asleep). I was throbbing. We need to learn to pace ourselves.

Our fridge died. It's not quite 6 years old! I'm pissed. Such a waste! It's going to take 10 days to 2 weeks to order a new one! :( :angry:
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:14 am

RoseMorninStar wrote:Our fridge died. It's not quite 6 years old! I'm pissed. Such a waste! It's going to take 10 days to 2 weeks to order a new one! :( :angry:

Ours did too, completely out of the blue - thankfully, still got a slightly older fridge in storage that works. Who knew I would ever need it again?

Sending positive thoughts to Vanadarlin', rwhen! I'll put her in my prayers.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:13 am

I've had worse luck with washing machines, although a couple of fridges have died on me too. In those cases I pick one out at the store and they deliver it the next day. :P

rwhen, listen to Rose. Don't let them push you into working. That is the one thing that I am concerned about if I decide to do something part time. I tend to be semi-competent at most jobs, so they keep giving me more stuff to do. :P

Monarch caterpillars!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Ninui » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:55 am

Now I'm not going to tell you to refuse the work money is always desireable but so is your health. It's managements responsibility to fill any void in work schedule made by an employee for any reason.
Take it from a former business owner/manager. I've done a poop load of fill in work schedule in my days. I've asked other employees if they wanted the extra hours. If they said no, that was their choice and I had to take the shift. Such is the down side of management. Take the hours if you want them but don't over do it. You need your time too.
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:54 pm

Ninui wrote:Now I'm not going to tell you to refuse the work money is always desireable but so is your health. It's managements responsibility to fill any void in work schedule made by an employee for any reason.
Take it from a former business owner/manager. I've done a poop load of fill in work schedule in my days. I've asked other employees if they wanted the extra hours. If they said no, that was their choice and I had to take the shift. Such is the down side of management. Take the hours if you want them but don't over do it. You need your time too.

Wise words Ninui.

One of the salespeople told me that if they made refrigerators like they did years ago they would be 2-3x more expensive and no one would buy them. I beg to differ. While it's nice to know that there are inexpensive basic refrigerators out there I think there is a market for something in between. I'm restricted because our space is only 34" wide and so many of the refrigerators these days are 35" wide. Some people spend $1,000 on a phone for goodness sake. We have a small dorm room size fridge in the basement that I'm trying to make due with, but it's not easy 'cause I generally shop at Costco, not to mention I am the QUEEN of condiments! My fridge is FULL. One just doesn't realize how many mustards and pickles, ketchups, syrups, jellies, pickled peppers, capers, and artichokes one has until you have to find somewhere else to put them!

Sending positive thoughts to Vana.

Tooksey, you retired this year, yes?
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:03 am

Yeppers, Rose. Actually late last year I retired.

Monarch caterpillars!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby rwhen » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:22 am

Thanks friends, of course you are right. It is so hard to say no when they are staring you in the eyeballs telling you how they just won't make it without the help. When I worked yesterday (and had plans to pick up my prescriptions and get them filled after) I was again asked to work a double shift and I kindly declined and instead of "understanding' it was all exasperation and disappointment. The truth is, I am not a scheduler or a manager, it is not my job to make sure AHEAD of time that shifts are covered, it is all on them and if they have to work those shifts, even when they are already at max, it is what it is. HIRE someone, ever thought of that???? With three people out no knowing when they are back, hire a part time temp....geez. Never mind, I am navigating my way through this.

Rose, we are sisters of the condiment heart!! I need my fridge desperately so I get it. Sorry yours took a dump, good luck until then. Also had to happen mid summer, right????

Thanks for those thinking healing thoughts for Vanadarlin', I see see still hasn't posted, so I'll let her know.

Ninui, Rose and Tooks...thanks for the great support!!!

HELLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO one registered poster at this time. *sigh* *starts cleaning the HELLO home and finds Louie in the broom cabinet munching on my last box of Girl Scout cookies* ARGH

:

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:59 pm

hm. No guests here with me this afternoon. I am truly home alone.

sigh.

*orders Mexican takeout with rwhen's credit card*

Monarch caterpillars!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby RoseMorninStar » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:28 pm

Louie was eating peanuts here. And playing in the bird bath. *Rocky thinks the Mexican food is a bit too spicy, but Rosie helps herself to a couple of tacos, chips, and salsa.*
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qNGjGLGeQZAYtFYh6

Yeah, if my fridge had died Nov-April it probably wouldn't have been much of a problem. I would have just stuck a cooler outside.

The job situation these days is pretty crappy. They don't want to hire full-time/give benefits/job security but want employees to be loyal and work like a dog. Double shifts for a part time job is asking a bit much. Maybe a few 'no's' or 'it doesn't work for me today' will give them the idea they need to hire someone else.

Tooksey.. now that you've reminded me, I seem to recall something on FB about your retiring. Good for you!
Sometimes I am 'here' but do not show up on the log. I think I set it up that way back in the day because I'd leave the TORc page up all day & I didn't want anyone to think I was here but ignoring them when I might away from the computer.

:hihi: to everyone else!
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:33 am

Ah Mexican food again, good. I never tire of the stuff. *orders up some chips, pico de gallo, salsa, queso blanco, chili rellano's, refried beans and warm flour tortillas* I wonder how long that takes to get to TORCland. *hides credit card again* :nono:

Yeah Rose, that is it exactly. But for me, it was all I wanted and needed...part time. Just to fill in the gap between social security and what I was making when I was working full time. I as assured that all jobs except for management were part time. Worked for me. Hopefully some of these people out on medical will return soon and stop this silliness.

Rose, hope that new fridge comes soon!! :)

No one on this forum but lil' ol' me at this time....except the lurkers. :P

HHHHEELLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO we got all this Mexican on the way. Let's have a fiesta!!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:37 am

*invites lurking guest to lunch*

Monarch caterpillars!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Ninui » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:05 pm

Brings variety of salads and dressings to go with Mexican foods,(not a fan of the stuff). Brought in cool soft drinks, and Italian sodas.

https://youtu.be/gaF-zYYTmtw

https://youtu.be/ZZPkaukd9GU

Ninui and "0" guests ... :(
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:43 am

I'm craving Mexican food in real life, so this is making me very hungry.

*digs in*
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby rwhen » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:55 am

YUM All that looks so good including the salads and dressings. Ya know...for living where I do, there is only one Mexican place within reasonable driving distance and that is Taco Bell. So I do cook my own....but only cooking for one I tend to make smaller meals. I miss my Mexican food for sure.

Hey Rose, any update on fridge delivery?

*digs in with Thor'n*

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO just me and one guest on at the time. *lights the home fires with cherry wood sending smokey scents up the chimney*

:hihi:

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:07 pm

I think I'm going to have to make myself an Italian soda!! They look refreshing! Cherry maybe. :)
New Zealanders love their dairy and put quite a lot of whole milk in their tea. I've kinda gotten used to that.

rwhen.. no Mexican places??!! What the heck?? We have 3 in our fairly small town and that's not including Taco Bell. I seem to recall you love pork carnitas. What about that really good place where we ate? The one with all of the pretty Mexican porcelain in the bathrooms. They had pretty dark green booths.

The fridge will HOPEFULLY get here sometime next week. *sigh*

*Rosie has a taco salad* Best of both worlds!! :)
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:46 am

I generally don't consider Taco Bell a Mexican restaurant.

8)

It's a fast food joint.

And so I made some tacos for dinner last night, spiced up a bit with Mrs. Renfro's Habanero salsa.

Monarch caterpillars!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:31 am

Tookish_Traveler wrote:I generally don't consider Taco Bell a Mexican restaurant.

8)

It's a fast food joint.

That's why I didn't include Taco bell with the '3 Mexican restaurants' :)

Habanero salsa! :oops:
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:37 am

Tookish_Traveler and 3 guests

HEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO all ye lurkers!!!

:D

If you want hot salsa, try Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper salsa.

Monarch caterpillars!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby rwhen » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:43 am

HHHEEELLLLOOOOOOO da house!!

Tooks, I do NOT consider Taco Bell a Mexican food joint either. And you are very naughty suggesting ghost peppers!!! Habanero's are hot enough for me and I love great hot salsa. I'd like to try that brand you wrote about, I'll look for it. YUM tacos!!

Rose, the place where we ate and also a different place Los Jalapenos (which is my very favorite) are both in Vancouver. Way too far for me to drive and do a pick up for order out. There is one restaurant I ordered from once that is actually on my way to or from work, the beans were watery, the chips were stale and every thing else was over salted. YUK and they were expensive. A second place about a block from where I live Fandango's, closed last year, they were pretty good, a bit pricey but tasty. So within reasonable driving distance from home or work...nothing. *sigh* You know I love my pork carnitas!! But absolute favorite is chili rellano's.

Let us know when the new fridge arrives. :)

One guest posting in this forum. Oi....

"Louie! Get your sticky paws out of the guacamole!" Geesh Tooks, put a leash on that critter. *runs*

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:29 pm

RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:58 am

Heh. It is impossible to leash the raccoons. They have little handses, remember. ;)

0 guests this morning. :P

I woke up early for some reason.
I guess it's a good time to take the dog for a walk, before the 90s come back. 8)

HEEELLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo..........................

Monarch caterpillars!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:16 am

We've only got one Mexican restaurant (and a Taco Bell) around here, but it's so good, it makes up for being the only one in town. The enchiladas are delicious.
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby rwhen » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:53 am

Rose.... :rofl:

Tooks...tiny AND clever hands. Remember the adventures of Louie and friends and Mugsy McGuire? I think we might have been the only ones to enjoy it as much as we did. ;)

Thor'n. To fess up here, I am just a food lover....I love to shop for food, cook food, share meals and EAT IT MYSELF. ;) So anything Mexican is great to me as well.

Speaking of...tonight chicken fried steak with mashed taters and gravy and an artichoke with garlic butter. I am still half a day from starting supper and already drooling.

On this forum at this time.....0 registered and 0 guests.

HHHEEELLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *echo dies with Tooks shout out* Hey we are talkin' food here, how can you refuse you lurkers??? Come out, come out wherever you are!!!

:drink:

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:32 am

I changed my status to reflect when I'm supposed to be 'here' but I tried changing a few other things (adding a signature) and I don't think that's going to show up.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:24 pm

Rose, your name isn't in red, so I don't think you can add a signature. When Jon switched platforms for TORC years ago, people who had paid for the sig had the ability transferred, but the new place was never set up to accept new enrollees. And those of us who had the premium membership kept it - now without paying for it!!!!

rwhen, I was thinking of Louie and Mugsy just the other day. We ought to have a little fun with them. :D Some people just didn't appreciate them. 8)

Monarch caterpillars!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:22 pm

Tooksey, good to know. At least I won't keep trying thinking I've done something wrong. :)

Oh well, here's the siggy photo I probably would have chosen if I could have.
My heart is in the Shire
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:52 am

Rose is that photo the real deal from your visit to NZ? Excellent choice. I think what Tooks wrote is exactly correct. :( At this time and until enrollment is open again, I don't think there is any way to amend that.

Tooks...yeah? Could be fun. Whadidya have in mind? The Pony??? It would have to be ME or Tolkien themed, but easy to write for Mugsy and play with Louie and gang and indeed it was not popular. Just not the way that particular thread was envisioned I suppose. Hey who could resist these charries???

HHHHHEEELLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO da house!! Again zero registered and zero guests visiting this forum at this time. I would think some of that great Mexican would have brought out the lurkers. COME ON!!! ;)

:hihi:

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

PreviousNext

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby