HEEELLLLLOOOOOOOOOO the home alone thread

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Re: HEEELLLLLOOOOOOOOOO the home alone thread

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:19 am

IrisBrandybuck wrote:[color=#0000BF]I've been doing some Ancestry.com stuff and taking each thread back as far as to the country of origin...if I can. I've found I'm so Scottish (on my mom's side) that I should probably have a brogue. ;) A few German, one French (which is probably actually German) and some Irish and English. I'm very Anglo. :rofl: No one famous, which is probably a good thing.

Yay Scotland! One of my ancestral homelands - the others being Italy, Ireland, England, and apparently Lithuania, according to my mother's claims that one of her descendants was rescued by Russian soldiers on the steppe or something like that: then again, she also thought the Roman city of Pompeii was somewhere in India, so I'm not entirely sure if her story is accurate. :D
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:47 pm

IrisBrandybuck wrote:
When we go to Gettysburg we try to search out Jeff Shaara. His dad wrote Killer Angels and he picked up where his dad left off and is quite prolific. I have several signed books. He's very nice.

Our battlefield guide was Truman Eyeler. I love that name! It sounds like a character out of a book.

Tookish_Traveler wrote:So.... what's for breakfast?

According to Misters Squirrel and Trash Panda, grubs & acorns. :(

I've been working on the family tree off & on for years. One of my grandmothers did a lot of the work on her side back in the days before computers. I cannot imagine how much work/correspondence that would have been. Her earliest ancestor (on her father's side) came to this country from Essex, England in 1634 on the ship Francis. Her mother's side was more recent, part of the Irish wave of immigration in the late 1800's. I have ancestors that were in the Revolutionary war and in the Civil war. Other branches of family come from Germany/France, Scotland, and one branch of the family is Ruthenian from Slovakia.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:20 am

HHHEEELLLLLOOOOOOOOOOO da house!!! :hihi:

My brother had his DNA done and we are the same DNA being Irish twins basically. Same mother and father. We are pretty much Irish/Welsh. With some Scottish tossed in there. Then there is a smaller amount from my mothers side of the family which is creole,French, African American and allegedly Native American...that is a Heinz 27 to me.

Everyone has such rich history about them. The only thing I was ever told was that we were related to Jim Bowie and we had Native American history but the DNA didn't really prove that out. With the last name of Davis...that is much more kin to Ireland and Wales, where the name is very common. I would love to know more, but for now and until I can truly retire, will have to wait.

Brekkies you say????

Went to the clinic this morning and batch cooking a vat of pasta sauce for the freezer early, before it gets too hot.

Find a comfy seat and enjoy a bite to eat. Tooks offered to do the dishes. :P

:grouphug: to all in da HOUSE!!!
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Yes Ayslhyn, I do still remember.

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Ninui » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:40 am

We, (brother,cousin,and myself), are Scottish, English, French,and Italian. Cousin's children,(from their father), are German,and Norwegian. As I stated in another thread, we are related to William Wallace via his brother John. Cousin had our lineage done a few years back and it has been proven that this is so. It is also suspected,( not proven), that we are in some way related to Henry VIII. Cool if it be true.
Cousin was told by geneologist that those that have been told they have native blood can't always prove it since most tribes today don't submit DNA for research purposes and that their records are past down through family only. Really hard to prove.
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:56 pm

Tooks offered to do the dishes.

Wut? I did???

:D

I am truly all alone right now. Not even a bot to keep me company.

Woe.

Woe is me.
Image All things Nature at the TVM this month.

Monarch caterpillars!

(for Calma)
---------------------------------
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:14 pm

Louie should do the dishes. ;)

My aunt did a lot of our family tree after she retired, before she got Alzheimers. The books are at her house still (I hope!) One of the interesting facts was a family member escaped the Spanish Inquisition by smuggling himself on a boat with his wine casks. We had a disagreement, because I thought maybe he was Jewish and she said she didn't think so, but didn't really know. We may never know, because she couldn't go back any further. There's a point where you don't have surnames and records are sketchy.

I have a cousin who claims he found some of our ancestors came over on the Mayflower, but I have yet to find it. Most came in the 1700s, but a couple came in the 1600s.

Tooks: we'll be passing through in September, but not stopping. Maybe later in the year, though. I'd love to go to the WWII events they have at Eisenhower Farm.

Some days are grumpier than others...

For Calma :rose:
For Cock-Robin :rose:
For Toby :rose:

May we never forget them. :rose:

Cats were once worshiped in Egypt. They have never forgotten this.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby RoseMorninStar » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:57 pm

Heeelllllooooooo!

I am currently in the company of FOUR bots. :P

Brekkies. Is there anything better than a Breakfast brunch?? It's pretty hard to beat a GOOD brunch (says this Hobbit). I'll take second brekkies. And Elevensies.. and Luncheon.. and afternoon tea... and...

Ancestry had a black friday special so I signed up for 6 months and got a lot done in that time. Of course, I had some of the family history done by others and that was very helpful because it can get VERY confusing and you can run into dead ends and occasionally have to take guesses, which can lead one down the wrong path. I came into some old family photos that I wanted to put out there for anyone who is interested while someone still knew who was in the photos. Of course there are some I don't know, which is a shame. I keep hoping that if I put them out there someone else might recognize someone and be able to put a name to the face. I've also found some really cool very old photos of family members that I didn't know existed from other people who posted photos. I also was told there was a book written by a great Uncle so I searched and found an old copy on ebay. It's a rather simple book about his life, but cool none-the-less. He must have written it around the time of the 'Coal Miner's Daughter' movie and it's titled, 'Son of a Pennsylvania Coal miner'. It has a short paragraph in the front with some family history that would include my great and great-great grandfathers/mothers. Pretty interesting. My mom is now trying to get me to do my DNA (she recently did hers) but I am hesitant.

Good night all :hihi:
*Rosie puts a few mini pastries in her pocketses for later*
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:42 am

*watches Tooks sneaksies away from the dishes* ;)

HHHEEEELLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the house!!

Weather is going to start a very slow cooling tonight and I work the next two days, so not much time for a post here or there. But wanted to stop in with my TVM nature photo and a shout out here.

Iris....I was told several things about my family history and always thought it to be so and then through DNA testing found out that it couldn't possibly be true or was a form of some truth at some time in the past. Without living members to verify anything (which I do not have) pretty hard to put it all together. Not to mention the cost. :hug: Hope you are able to meet up with Tooks someday, you two actually live "fairly" close to each other, I've looked at the map. At least maybe a lunch on the way through. Who knows.....could be way fun, just don't let her bring any spidies with her.

Rose. :D Glad you love a brunch, I do as well. And you are welcome to all the pastries in your pocketsessss. Not to write what I wrote above, but I wish I had as much as you have from Ancestry dot com....maybe they will have another special someday and I'll get further. The DNA thingie wasn't scary at all....it doesn't tell much except what your DNA shows is related countries or people. There are some that are much more specific...like where in that country you are from or when your ancestors came to the US. But that isn't what my brother had done...just the basics. It was enough for me.

Okay off to get prepared for work soonish....Have a grand day everyone.

At the moment it shows no registered users and no guests....but I see Tooks posted right above me...so dunno what that is about.

:grouphug:

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:50 pm

rwhen wrote:At the moment it shows no registered users and no guests....but I see Tooks posted right above me...so dunno what that is about.

*sneaks sneakily through the forum*

Monarch caterpillars!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby rwhen » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:39 am

HHHEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOO da house!!!!!

Okay, where the heck is everyone??? Zero registered users and zero guests, not even a bot to haunt me about. Are you sleeping in late this morning?

I sure wanted to but for the last three days I have had to call the Mid County Clinic at exactly 7:30am to try and set an appointment. They only take the first ten callers (reminds me of a call in radio thing to win tickets to a concert) and after that the next time to set an appointment is pushed out by another day. FINALLY today I got set for August 22nd at 2pm. I am so relieved as my meds will run out in a few weeks. Without insurance, I was dropped like a hot rock from my last doctor. This place Mid County is very close to where I live and they are not a walk in clinic...strictly by appointment only. I also had to pass an income eligibility screening. So I feel double blessed to finally be able to get some medical care. I got automatic Medicare Part A when I turned 65...but B and D are the parts one really needs and I can't afford that. Hopefully at some point I will be able to get back on insurance again.

*sets a trap for the sneakster Tooksie.....* Pizza and coolers!! ;)

Okay...off to rest up before going to work again today, mid shift. Off tomorrow and then a closing on Saturday and double back for an opening on Sunday. *blink blink*

Have a cool comfortable day everyone and iffin' ya have some rain ta spare, send it on over to the West Coast....we could use it. :)

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:26 am

Arefs.com and 1 guest are with me today.

rwhen, are there no Medicare Advantage plans in your area? Around here there are some that cost $0 extra a month. I know they don't work for everyone, but at least they also cover many doctor visits.

So.... I'll have pizza with mushrooms please. :D

Monarch caterpillars!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby GwenElf » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:50 pm

HEEEELLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the—

IS THAT PIZZA???

*drools all over the thread* Just me and 2 bots tonight, so that means I get all the pizza! Except for the slices with mushrooms.
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby RoseMorninStar » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:48 pm

GwenElf! Well, long time no see. I hope all is well!

rwhennie, I hope your appointment goes well. Are states set up differently for Medicare? I hope not.. insurance is such a nightmare)

One guest and myself. *Rosie eyes up the Chicago deep dish and calls dibs!* Lou Malnati's butter crust deep dish. *dies & goes to food heaven*
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:12 am

HHHEEEELLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DA........ Gandalf's Beard!!!

:Q SIL SIL SIL!!!!! *hog ties lady to the thread* Then.....glomp Do you know how happy I am to see you!!! <--------not a question. ;) Please help yourself to all the pizza I got in DA HOUSE....and then, then...plop yourself into a double sized overstuffed comfy chair. With what you care to share, ...... UMMM Whatzup?? :) :D
Can you tell I have missed you? ;) <-------also not a question.

Tooksies....Medicare Advantage is great for those who can afford it. I called two places after my Part A kicked in when I turned 65 and when they found out I didn't have the income to pay for what they wanted I became a red headed stepchild to them and couldn't get off the phone fast enough. I can get Part B through Social Security for $140 a month and when all bills are caught up and my work returns to normal part time hours, if I can afford it, I will get it. For now it is the clinic and I am ever so grateful for it. One mushroom pizza coming up.....

Rose, indeed, I would LOVE to have one of those pizza's. They actually do ship them...but I can't imagine the cost of shipping a pizza from Chicago to Portland!! LOL. We have some pretty great pizza here....many artisan types but I am a sloppy deep dish with tons of cheese type of gal. Glad you got to visit there on your trip a few years ago. And yes....insurance IS a crime!!!

Okay...off to rest up and relax as I work a closing shift and then open again tomorrow. ARGH.....

:hihi: :grouphug:

Don't any of you go disappearing again!! *glares down at Sil*

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:06 pm

I've ordered Lou Malnati's deep dish shipped when they've had a special. They come in a Styrofoam cooler with dry ice. They're not quite as good as when you have them in the restaurant, but still plenty good. I seem to recall the special being if you buy 5 you got 1 extra + free shipping. Of course you have to have a chest freezer to store them unless you plan on having a party!
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:23 pm

HHEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL da House!!!

Yeah, Rose....lol, I can barely fit in all my batch prepared meals right now. (you asked me how I was doing that) After I make my cabbage rolls tomorrow, that is it. It will be stuffed beyond full and I'll have to start eating from it before I can make anything else batch style. But still I would love to visit Chicago some day and have a pizza's from Lou's... ;) Enjoy your ...erm time visiting the woods.

Okay....just got home a bit ago from a double back ..... worked until 10:30 last night and back at 8:00 this morning. My feet and ankles are killin' me. So need to get them up for a rest.

I hope everyone is great on this fine Sunday on Portland...WE GOT RAIN yesterday, big fat drops that lasted for about a half hour flooding and soaking everything. Good, we needed it. Have a great one....enjoy the warm fire and a good book in the rocker.

:hihi: :grouphug:

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:24 pm

Nobody home but little ol' mmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

*helps herself to rwhen's cabbage rolls*

Yum.

Monarch caterpillars!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:56 pm

We have a really nice free clinic here too, rwhen. Rob used to go there until he qualified for insurance. (It's called MAWD--medical assistance for workers with disabilities...he is now on straight up MA because our income plunged after I was "let go" from the newspaper). Anyhow, the clinic is operated by local nuns, the doctor is also a Sister...the Sisters of Anawim. They also have a retreat center and are very involved in the community. Their founder, Sister Therese, was such a darling woman, I just loved her.

I hope things get straightened out for you, rwhen. And good luck on your appointment! :hug:

Sil! :hug:

Some days are grumpier than others...

For Calma :rose:
For Cock-Robin :rose:
For Toby :rose:

May we never forget them. :rose:

Cats were once worshiped in Egypt. They have never forgotten this.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:40 pm

Man, you guys make me feel so young and carefree. Sorry to hear about all the pain and medical shenanigans going around.

I am also in much pain, but all mine is self inflicted. Well..... bride inflicted.... The missus is a bit of a task master when it comes to vacationing at theme parks. Just got back from Universal in Orlando. We where there for 4 days and according to her Pokémon go app she walked 71 km not including distance traveled during a day at the water park! Which means I walked that much too, because we went everywhere together. I am burnt! (Alaska pale does not stand up to Florida sun very well) The back of my heals are chaffed and my calves are sore. I am currently sitting with my feet up in bed while she runs out for pizza! Getting a stuffed pizza, pepperoni, sausage, Roma tomatoes, olives, four kinds of cheese, etc......

Iris, I love the idea of a Nun run clinic! My bride also loves watching the show “Call the midwife” and while I’m sure it’s nothing like that, I still love the thought of believer serving the community in that way. There used to be a lot more of that sort of thing going on in the US and around the world for that matter.
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Postby rwhen » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:43 am

HHELLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DA HOUSE!!!

Iris, that sounds like a lovely clinic. I think the one I will be frequenting is much more ... well, clinical...pretty much all business and you can't see anything except waiting areas for the different sorts of services they offer. I suspect the "help" come in through a back entrance or some such. Hope your finances are recovered now? I know it can take a long time. I was out of work for a year until this job. :hug:

Quill!! Very happy you are home safely. And I hear ya on the mega walking it takes to do those large theme parks. But do tell us all about Harry Potter and if you got to any other part of it. ME and erm...WE want to know. :D Enjoy that stuffed pizza. YUM!!

Tooks...the HELLO cabbage rolls are free for the taking, the real ones are being made today. A very old recipe that my mother got from someplace in Iowa for the brief stint we lived there in the 50's....I know it is Hungarian....and they called it phoenic spelling....Haloopki. I make a lovely rich homemade tomato sauce for the top while it is cooking. It IS really yummy even if I do say so myself. It is all my mother, I started cooking under her bum when I was around 9 and have always loved being in the kitchen. I fantasize that I am the long lost adopted child of Paul and Julia Child. :P

Okay off to do errands .... take good care of yourself and each other!!

:hihi: and :grouphug:

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:47 am