HEEELLLLLOOOOOOOOOO the home alone thread

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Re: HEEELLLLLOOOOOOOOOO the home alone thread

Postby rwhen » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:08 pm

HHHHHEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DA HOUSE!!!

Already into afternoon and I have been a slug today. I just rounded up the stuff to clean the bathroom, so that is after a few posts here. Hope all is well with everyone else.

One registered user and four guests on at the moment.

Quill. Hey if you have a desire, you could learn much more, but I love your description of your abilities in the kitchen. I have a spice rack AND a half a cupboard shelf full myself. Maybe someday you will have the riches to afford that cook. ;)

Tooks, I did make the champagne chicken and did serve it over rice. It was really good, but no leftovers. Tonight I am thinking a Philly cheese steak with tater wedges done in the air fryer. Or maybe brekkies for supper or ......not sure at the moment. LOL.

Gonna be a warm one here and back to work tomorrow for a closing and then mid shift on Saturday. So...

:hihi: and :grouphug:
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Yes Ayslhyn, I do still remember.

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:51 am

Tooks, did you do anything special with your pork ribs? I find I don’t usually go out for pork outside of bacon, but I’m always curious what other folks do with he rest of the animal.

Rwhen, we just got an air fryer and are just figuring out what all to do with it. I am angling for egg rolls but my dearly beloved is not the hugest fan so I’m slowly working up the courage to attmpet it myself. If anybody has a great recipe...

Ahrefs.com old budy, Your truely, and two guests...
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Postby rwhen » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:10 am

HHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOO DA HOUSE!!!

Quill. :Q Pig is my favorite meat source....I eat everything from the oink to the curly tail. ;) The only thing other than frozen type foods like fries or chicken bites that I have tried in the air fryer is the potato wedges and they are great. One thing you can do is go online and just put in air fryer recipes in Google and you will find a ton of ideas for things to cook in there....here is the recipe for wedge taters and it is really good....

Preheat the air fryer to 400 for about 3 minutes...in the meantime slice a tater (cleaned but not peeled) in half longways and then in half again. Cut each of those halves in half so you have eight pieces. But in bowl with a bit of olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper and make sure each wedge is coated. By that time your air fryer will be heated up. Put wedges in single layer on the bottom of the pull out tray and cook for 10 minutes at 400. Then turn them over and cook an additional five minutes at same temp. They will be crispy on the outside and fluffy soft on the inside. I dip mine in mayo...like Canadians do, but I would think any condiment would work. Gook luck. :D

Last night I made homemade mini pizza's. At the $ store I found two of the Bobobi type small pizza rounds. So I made a "just about everything" on it pizza with pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, onions, black olives....a great sauce and tons of motz cheese. I made it in the toaster/convection oven. (stopping the place from getting hotter by using the regular oven). It came out great and I still feel stuffed this morning. ;) I'll be doing that again, but maybe not so loaded up.

Tooks did you make your ribs????

Me and one bot and three guests at the moment...

I am working closing today....so must get my beauty rest before leaving. :P :P :P

:hihi: and :grouphug: to all in da house...

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:16 pm

Me and two guests. :D

I made the ribs, just baked them with Montreal/steak seasoning all over 'em.

Tomorrow.... shrimp stir fry!

Autumn!!!!

--------------------------------------
(for Calma)
---------------------------------
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby RoseMorninStar » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:27 pm

Heeelllllooooo!

One guest and me. I've just returned from the woods and lived to tell the tale. Maybe I brought a porcupine back with me. :P

Stuffed cabbage! Stuffed Peppers! Smoked paprika!! All so yummy. I have to watch my weight so these days I substitute cauliflower for the rice in stuffed peppers/cabbage. I even make 'mashed potatoes' out of it. Zucchini becomes noodles. I've even used cauliflower to make dressing for turkey. We brought some Montmorency (tart) cherries back and I hope to make some tasty things with those.

Loads of laundry to do then dropping into my dry and comfy bed.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Thor 'n' Oakenshield » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:30 am

This thread is making me very hungry :D
Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rider of the Mark

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:52 am

8)

:twisted:

Autumn!!!!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby rwhen » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:43 am

HHHEEELLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DA HOUSE!!!

Rose, wow you really do a great job of substituting veggies for the higher carb items in foods. Well done. Is that porcupine that you might have brought home really Pippin who rolled in something sticking on the fur??? ;) Enjoy your rest up!!!

Thor'n....me too!!! *drools*

Tooks!!!!!! You are a very bad Tooks!!! :nono: Giving that photo for us to salivate over. ;)

I work in a few hours but tonight is going to be mock stroganoff. Mock because I use ground beef instead of cut up steak. The rest is the same as a beef stroganoff.

Tooks, I downloaded the IMGUR app to my iPhone and found my photos that I take with the phone there. Is that how you get your phone photos on here?????

Me and no bots and 3 guests at the moment.

I am off to start getting ready for a shift at work. Have a great day and help yourself to anything in da house, except the credit card. *stares down Tooks*

:hihi: and :grouphug: to all!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:14 pm

rwhen, no apps for me. My cellphone is a cheapy flip phone like Gibbs uses. ;)

It takes photos but they are no good. I wander around the yard with a 50 pound (ok, maybe not that heavy) Canon hanging around my neck. :D

I will not use your credit card today. I am making my own shrimp for supper. So there. :thppt:

Autumn!!!!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:10 pm

Google-bot, me and 3 guests right now

This thread makes me hungry as well.

That sounds like an amazing potato wedge recipe, rwhen. Will deffinitly have to try it.... ah, who am I kidding, I’ll have to pass it on to the Missus and see if she will try it. She is sort of the queen of spud, so I’ll be interested to see how it come out.

LOVE shrimp in all its forms! I’ve even done the shrimp caviar (maybe not the best form there, but palatable).
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:04 am

HHHEEEELLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DA HOUSE!!!!!!

Oi. So after three straight days of work...finally a day off!! And of course now...headed to the grocery store to replenish kitchen stuff and other stuff too.

I am thinking Mexican for supper....I have some refried beans, rice and tortillas......maybe come green chili chicken enchilladas. Or just tacos. Love Mexican.

Tooks. ADORE shrimpssss. Just about all ways. BBQ'd, scampi prepared, salad, cocktail.....YUM.

Quill. Hope you try the air fryer recipe, it is dead easy and very tasty and something different for taters. Shrimp caviar? :Q Never heard of that. ;)

Very quiet here in the Home Alone Home......at the moment no registered users and no guests and no bots. ALLLLOOONNNNEEEE again, naturally. *runs*

*checks out credit card balance and all looks well, decides to order a shrimp feast for da house*

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:07 pm

OOoo. Yum.

*sits down to eat*

Autumn!!!!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby Ninui » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:33 pm

Finding unfavorable table offerings, Ninui drops off pans of lasagna, mac & cheese, spaghetti & meatballs for all to enjoy with plenty of garlic bread and rolls. Blah to seafood & mexican fair :P
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:51 pm

Sorry I have been gone so long. I did go do the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism). Tried to enjoy it but ended up not doing so well. I got there with nine D size bottles of oxygen but no regulator to use it. So I fought to breath all weekend. From the 8th through the 11th. Then it took me several days to feel like I could breath normalish again. Still not doing super well so am going to Urgent Care tomorrow for antibiotics.

All this food sounds wonderful!!! I must admit I love to eat though usually don't. Not a super appetite anymore since last November's hospital stay. But I do eat so I am not wasting away.

Quill the SCA is where we go to do the medieval fighting and living. We have a canvas pavilion that we use for our home away from home. Guru made me a medieval wood and rope bed many years ago now but we got tired of the ropes so we added rails and use a queen size memory foam mattress, LOVE IT!! Guru does combat archery with a crossbow as well as with a regular recurve bow. I do some archery or did before this year. We both do thrown weapons as well. We have throwing knives and axes as well as Guru has a spear. Right now Guru (Rhodri his SCA name) is the Kingdom Protector. Hde is suppose to go to war and protect the King when he fights but alas he has never got to go to war with our King this year. Apparently the King got hurt before and was out of commission all year. Guru won the title last September Crown and will most likely give it away to the next winner during our September Crown event this year up in Canada. We love living by candle light and fire and doing everything fairly much like they did in medieval times. The cats are always happy when we come home to them. They don't go but think we have abandoned them each time. It is a bit more structured then a Ren Faire. We don't have the entertainment factors that they have at Ren Faires but we have gone to them as well and enjoy it but they are only day trips.

Sil so great to see you again!! How are your little hobbits doing?

I have never had my DNA done either, my mom swears that her side we go back to John Hancock but who knows. My dad does have Cherokee and Scottish! My mom is German Dutch and English. I would imagine it would prove to be more of a Heines 57 when tests are all said and done. We know Guru is Welsh and who knows what else.

Mae Govannen Rose, Thor, Quill, rwhen, Sil, Iris, Ninui and Tooks!! :wave: :drink: :hug:

Just me and 2 guests right now!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of Calma she passed away on 07/05/19 ! RIP dear lady! :rose:
Primula Baggins passed away on 02/27/19
Cockrobin has passed away on 02/18/2019 Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend!
oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:28 am

AhrefsDOTcom, Quill, and 2 guests

We went to BubbaGump’s shrimp on vacation. Cool little restaurant, themed as you might expect after Forest Gump. Served various shrimp that was deliscious!

Vana, so sorry to hear about your oxygen trials. I have only occasionaly experienced shortness of breath and can’t emagine having to deal with something more severe for an entire weekend. I don’t know if that’s something you ever get accustomed to, but it sounds a little scary and tre’ inconvenient.

Super cool event though! I have always found medieval (and Classical Greek era) weaponry to be the cat’s meow. I would shoot myself in the floor however, with the first crossbow I touched, I’m sure.

Oops.... must run off to the airport to see some of our church teens off to college.

~Quill
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:22 am

I need a nap.

It's been a busy couple of weeks...Stepson #1 is in jail for a probation violation. The idiot actually tried to fake a urine test with a balloon and straw. :roll: Then, when they were booking him, they found drugs in his wallet. :roll: So, his dad had a sit down talk with him and tried to tell him that if he gets his rear in gear and does every program the jail offers and is super polite to the judge, he'd probably get time served. What does he do? Lays around in bed, is surly before the judge, and the judge got disgusted and gave him 4-12 months. So his dad is probably going to read him the riot act tonight. I'd help, but I have to be at work.

Stepson #2 is being proactive. Realized his life was spiraling out of control and the only person who can do something about it is him, so he asked for help and is getting it and doing very well. Should be home early next month. Question is, what to do with him to keep him moving in the right direction.

Y'all...I need a vacation! I should be having one in a few weeks...but I've not gotten my leave slip back yet. I turn those suckers in as early as I can in order to give my supervisor time to organize fill ins...and she puts off approving them for the longest time.

Okay, enough complaining!

I learned to cook at an early age too...age two to be exact. Rather stunned my mom how observant I'd been. She put a stop to my using the stove immediately, but started letting me do little things to help. Because she often was at work in the afternoons and I'd stay with my grandmother, she'd write out instructions on how to make simple meals...I was doing that around 7 or 8. She says I'm an instinctive cook. I'll learn to make something the "right" way, and then I'll just sort of throw it together after that and it usually comes out better than the original recipe. Both of my grandmothers were like that. Quill, I promise it isn't hard...it's just a matter of following directions!

Some days are grumpier than others...

For Calma :rose:
For Cock-Robin :rose:
For Toby :rose:

May we never forget them. :rose:

Cats were once worshiped in Egypt. They have never forgotten this.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby rwhen » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:51 pm

HHEEELLLLOOOOOOOOOOO DA HOUSE!!!

We have an Iris and a Vanadarlin' taking up some comfy chairs. Love it. :hug:

Iris I hope your vacation comes up soon. Nothing like being over tired and slogging through until your approval comes in. Cool that you learned to cook at such a young age. That is young. But it lasts a lifetime.

Vanadarlin, thanks for the much better explanation on the SCA than I could ever give. Hey it gives a purpose in life. The DNA thing I didn't do my brother did, but we have the same mother and father and one year apart, so our DNA is pretty much the exact thing. I wasn't surprised by it, other than the Native American thing...or lack of. It is sometimes amazing what goes around as family lore for generations that turns out not to be true at all. Tee Hee. Hope you stay around the HOUSE now. Miss ya.

Hey Quill. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a BubbaGump shrimp joint. But I sort of like the idea. And I don't own a weapon because I feel sure I would be more likely to harm myself than any other thing, like an intruder. GAHHHHHH.

Okay, shorter reply today. I am dead tired and have a very full four days ahead of me. Rough nights sleep. Hope tonight is better. So see you around the house. Make yourself comfortable and enjoy all the great pasta dishes left for us by Ninui!!! :D

*rids table of Tooks shrimp shells*

Me and Sunsilver (that is a name I haven't seen in a long while) on at the moment.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby rwhen » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:51 pm

HHEEELLLLOOOOOOOOOOO DA HOUSE!!!

We have an Iris and a Vanadarlin' taking up some comfy chairs. Love it. :hug:

Iris I hope your vacation comes up soon. Nothing like being over tired and slogging through until your approval comes in. Cool that you learned to cook at such a young age. That is young. But it lasts a lifetime.

Vanadarlin, thanks for the much better explanation on the SCA than I could ever give. Hey it gives a purpose in life. The DNA thing I didn't do my brother did, but we have the same mother and father and one year apart, so our DNA is pretty much the exact thing. I wasn't surprised by it, other than the Native American thing...or lack of. It is sometimes amazing what goes around as family lore for generations that turns out not to be true at all. Tee Hee. Hope you stay around the HOUSE now. Miss ya.

Hey Quill. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a BubbaGump shrimp joint. But I sort of like the idea. And I don't own a weapon because I feel sure I would be more likely to harm myself than any other thing, like an intruder. GAHHHHHH.

Okay, shorter reply today. I am dead tired and have a very full four days ahead of me. Rough nights sleep. Hope tonight is better. So see you around the house. Make yourself comfortable and enjoy all the great pasta dishes left for us by Ninui!!! :D

*rids table of Tooks shrimp shells*

Me and Sunsilver (that is a name I haven't seen in a long while) on at the moment.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:16 pm

Hey....it's me and 3 guests. :D

I ate at a Bubba Gump once... in NYC. Times Square? Maybe. Can't recall exactly. Maybe this should be in the over 60 thread.... ;)

Shrimp is so yesterday. Today I had salmon. :thppt:

Autumn!!!!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:00 pm

The thing I liked best at the Bubba Gump Shrimp was that they had these little stands with license plates attatched to them and you could turn them so that it either said “run forrest run” in blue and the servers would generally leave you alone, or you could turn it to “stop forrest stop” in red and you would get swarmed and your particular need taken care of in short order. I’m sure these sorts of things aren’t uncommon elsewhere but we have nothing like around here, so I thought it was a cool idea.

Last night was whatever we could dig out of the freezer and heat up. Today is...... no idea, I don’t usually get consulted :P.

First day of school finished. Good classes this year (at least so far) no obvious “problem” individuals. :shock: (wait foooor it)

Iris, I’ve heard people say that... but its some sort of strange cursey magic. I follow the instructions, but it just wont turn out. I ask my wife why and she will point out about a dozen things that I didn’t account for or didn’t realize I should have done.... or stuff. I think there are just some basic/instinctive methods that people are just supposed to know, that I don’t. Like.... I can’t even tell you because I don’t know what I don’t know.

Okay example: Roasted Garlic. I’m trying to prepare a anniversary dinner for my bride and I and the recipe calls for roasted garlic. Doesn’t even ovcure to me that “roasted garlic” would need to be, you know, roasted. So I get all the way to add the roasted Garlic and- by the way this recipe is advertised as “easy twenty minutes meals” kinda thing- and I discover I most roast my garlic, This is a process that takes like 40 minutes according to a hastily looked up “how to” method of roasting garlic.

So while all the rest of my prep is congealing I roast the garlic, which I suck at as well because the results are gelatinized garlic mush. Cooking is hard!

OH! And apparently when you use a cup of flour you don’t scoop it out of the container you pour it into the cup!? Something about packing it down too much? Not enough? Maybe I have that one backwards. Dunno. Cooking is hard!

Sorry, I’m okay.... well not okay, but you know :lol:

I’m going to look up SCA in Alaska and see if we have any chapters or stuff like that going on. It just sounds like too much fun. Camping plus midevil times plus friends. Sounds like a riot.

This nonsense was brought to you by Quill.

Just me today, all alone, no guests.
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:31 am