HEEELLLLLOOOOOOOOOO the home alone thread

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Re: HEEELLLLLOOOOOOOOOO the home alone thread

Postby RoseMorninStar » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:22 pm

Hello!!
Hmmm. 4 guests and me. Same as last night. That seems a bit suspicious.

Roasted garlic.. is quite a different flavor than fresh. It's mellow, almost sweet, the way sauteed onions get. Sometimes I'll wrap a whole head of garlic in tinfoil when I've got the oven on and roast it for a half hour or so and then it can be stored in the fridge for awhile. I would imagine one might even be able to freeze it. It's lovely mixed with salt & oil or butter spread on bread, then toasted for garlic bread.

Milk. I recall reading an article not long ago in which dairy farmers are (understandably) wanting regulation on what can be labeled 'milk'. Because, correctly, one cannot 'milk' a soybean, or rice, or an almond, etc.. New Zealand takes it's dairy very seriously. When we were visiting everywhere we stayed had at least a pint of milk in the fridge/mini-fridge. They enjoy it with their tea (and quite a lot of it). I kinda got used to that and now enjoy my morning tea with milk.

There are many YouTube cooks/chefs I like to watch but here are a few:
Laura in the Kitchen
Food Wishes
Gemma's Bigger Bolder Baking

rwhen, I think I recall seeing halibut at the store for $30/pound. I'll check next time I go but as I don't like salmon either, I was concerned spending that much money on something I wasn't sure I'd like. I like tuna. Pippin thanks you for the hug! :love:

This thread is starting to remind me of Frodo's Kitchen!

Tooks, toasted walnuts are not a lot different from raw. Some things toasted make a great difference, but walnuts.. it's pretty subtle.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Ninui » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:44 pm

Ninui starts clearing the patio in preparation for Labor Day BBQ .... :D
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:33 am

Alrighty. I have resolved to try to begin to learn to cook. I’ll check out some of those channels. I’ll keep you posted on my progress :P

School is going well. Every year I forget at how much energy it takes out of me though. I’ll get used to the pace again in the next couple week, just as, when you said, Rwhen, the “problem” kids start getting into their stride. This weekend I am just vegging and recouping with my dearly beloved.

I used to drink milk ALL the time. More than water probably. I love the taste and the refreshing quality. I liked 2% the most and always put ice in it so that it was super cold. I stopped drinking milk when I started trying to get more healthy, though. Sad :(

Roasted garlic is my weakness. I can eat it almost like popcorn, though I usually regret my lack of self-control for the next couple days :P
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:57 pm

Mae Govannen again!!

Rose I almost forgot that one too!! It is great to see you again as well. :hug: :rose:

All fish seems to be somewhat expensive anymore unless you by Talapia and that is not healthy fish to eat. It is farmed and given hormones. I used to eat it but will opt for much healthier options.

Rwhen I do not like peanut butter but I do eat things with peanut butter in them. I love Reeses Peanut Butter cups but it is probably because of the chocoate. ;) Anything with chocolate is pretty good! :P As for our pizza habit, we love the cowboy still but am enjoying the Chicken Mediterranean more. It is on a crispier crust and olive oil, feta cheese and sundried tomatoes and spinach. YUM!

As for what we had planned for the weekend, it was our 11th Wedding Anniversary on Friday! Guru took us out to eat at a Chinese Buffet with a lot of awesome food. More then we should have eaten. General Tsaos Chicken, Orange Chicken, Broccoli with Chicken, salad, Crab stuffed mushrooms, Teriyaki Pork and many many more delicious foods. More then we should have ever eaten but we so enjoyed it.

I totally agree with you Quill on the milk thing. I am lactose intolerant to some degree but still enjoy dairy and cheese. Ice cream is a must have, I just can not get milk down straight but I cook with it plenty! I think online cooking instructions would be good. I learned some simple stuff from my mom but we don't always eat that way anymore. She is a southern lady using lots of creams and butter and frying everything. I still love her cooking just can't eat it every day. I also do not care much for garlic.

My prayers are with you all!! I will be back in a day or so..
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of Calma she passed away on 07/05/19 ! RIP dear lady! :rose:
Primula Baggins passed away on 02/27/19
Cockrobin has passed away on 02/18/2019 Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend!
oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rwhen » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:22 am

HHEEEELLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DA HOUSE!!!!!!

I worked for two torturous nights and yesterday spent the day pretty much doing nothing but watching some old movies on TCM. I feel better today for it. Brother Jim is stopping by to drop off some items I ordered from Amazon last week. Yes, of course, kitchen items. Small utensils that I should have and once did (before the divorce) and now replacing. Amazon can be a good spot for that.

Quill. WOW. You are the only other person on the planet I read liked ice in your milk. So do I. Always have. Unless it is icy cold, it just isn't the same for me. Good luck on your jump into the world of culinary delights. Start small work from there....Let us know, we will be anxious. :D

Rose, I remember Frodo's Kitchen, I think over in Guilds. But to me it is good to talk of food anywhere, as you know how I am ;) Great choices for internet websites. Everything I ate when I was in Europe tasted fresher to me. Many of the products are direct from grower.....to small specialized type store. And so good. In Greece all neighborhoods have their own stores....one sells meats, one veggies, one dairy, one bakery......no grocery stores. Go just a mile away and they have their own stores. Very cool and very accessible.

Vanadarlin', happy belated 11th wedding anniversary. For some reason I thought you got married in 06....but must have been 08, right?! I should remember having been there. ;) You wedding was the last time I cut or colored my hair. Sure looks different now. I am so happy that you are posting again!! Gives me a smile to see you and Rose on the thread. And everyone else too of course.

Ninui.....ah, a Labor Day BBQ? Sounds good to me. This weekend I'll add a few things to the table to make it great. :D

Tooks? TOOKS??"???

:hihi: and :grouphug: See ya tomorrow.
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Yes Ayslhyn, I do still remember.

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby drieske » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:11 pm

Hellooooo everyone! I smelled all the delicious food, saw the cozy fireplace and -above all- heard the voices of all you lovely adorable people. <3

Rwhen, say hi to Jim for me? :happydance: That must be so much fun, unpacking your delivery and getting to use the items to prepare new and old recipes. What is on the menu later today? I ate goulash from the freezer, made it a couple of months back. I used a slow cooker and let it simmer for hours and hours. The result is juicy and tender. Yum!
I’m glad you got the day off yesterday. Watching old movies is always a delight. * tight hugs *

Ice cubes in milk? Doesn’t it get all watery? I loved to drink milk, but like Vana, I can’t process the lactose anymore. Fortunately there are good alternatives. Like chocolate soy milk. Just had a cuppa, but drank it hot!

Hi Quill, so nice to meet you. And good luck in the kitchen. Practice and following your nose will help with cooking. :D

Rose, hi! I’m glad to see you here too. :grouphug:
Step by step one travels far ~ in honour of J.R.R. TOLKIEN

Enjoy endearing photos, videos & thoughts in Cuteness

Chitchat with us in Drieske's and Canamarth's Fashion Tips. We know nothing about fashion, but it is fun!

drieske
Mariner

Postby Ninui » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:25 pm

National Dog Day !!! Extra treats and belly rubs are in order for all the doggo's !!!

drieske ...... Have you ever tried Almond milk ? I tried it a few months ago and was surprised when I found it to be good. I get Almond Breeze w/ vanilla flavor. Very mild vanilla flavor so it doesn't over power. Give it a try if you'd like to try something new.

BBQ will be set up all day on Labor Day. Come when ever you'd like to stop by. Charchol & gas grills will be available
... :D
Ninui
Ranger of the North

HEEELLLLLOOOOOOOOOO the home alone thread

Postby drieske » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:45 pm

Hi Ninui, almond milk is indeed tasty and smooth. I use it to soak oatmeal overnight in. Vanilla flavor is new to me, will give it a try!

That barbecue sounds good!

Chitchat with us in Drieske's and Canamarth's Fashion Tips. We know nothing about fashion, but it is fun!

drieske
Mariner

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:52 pm

*Rosie pets her Pippin* (and will attempt to post a photo of her-stay tuned)

I have a brother-in-law who puts ice in his milk. He drinks it pretty fast so I don't think the milk gets watery. My grandfather used to work at a dairy and sometimes he'd bring us those small individual cartons of chocolate milk and we'd freeze them and eat them like chocolate slushies.

rwhen, yes, it's almost always appropriate to talk about food/cooking and new gadgets. :)

Happy Anniversary Vana & Guru!

Nice to see you drieske! :hug:

Tooksey must be hard at work cookin' up that labor day BBQ. :P

I wonder what they do with all of the soy/almond/rice/coconut leftover from making 'milk' from those products? Sell it for pig feed?
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:00 pm

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], RoseMorninStar, Tookish_Traveler and 2 guests

Hey... I am still here. Not all alone this time. :D

Who wants BBQ pork ribs?

* waits for pic of Pippin*

Autumn!!!!

--------------------------------------
(for Calma)
---------------------------------
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:08 pm

Image Pippin
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:35 pm

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Looks like a little Westy!!!!! :D

Autumn!!!!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:06 pm

She's a Westie-poo. Her father's name was Billy (like Billy Boyd) and her mother's name was Daisy. :) And she was the littlest one and had furry feet. So her name is Pippin. She's 15 1/2 and doing very well for a senior citizen.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:49 am

Hellllllllllloooooooo da house!!

It does not tell me who is online now, not even me.

Thanks for the Anniversary wishes all!! It was a great weekend for it too.

Rose, Pippin is soooooooo cute!!! I don't have any puppies but I do have some cats. China is getting to be a senior now 12 and Leroy (my brothers cat) is almost 7 now.

He

Leroy will be leaving us to move back home with his daddy later in September. We have had him since November 9th, 2017. My brother was in the hospital for some surgery that went very well and was expected to come home when his whole system shut down. They kept him alive on food and water and oxygen. That was in early June of 2017. They wanted us to pull the plug in late July saying he would never get better. He was on dialysis by the too. Well almost the next day he yanked the tubes out and said he was hungry and have been improving ever since. He will probably stay on dialysis because his kidney function is not coming back like they hoped but everything else is better. He got disability and that helped him but he has gone and got a job so that he can move out on his own again. That is when Leroy will go home. We are just so thankful that my brother is doing so well again. We got to all get together and celebrate his 60th birthday in January 18. It was a great time with only daddy missing now (05/11/2016). We were so afraid we were going to lose my brother too. All of us kids are over 60 now and I think that is quite the accomplishment for a few of us being so ill off and on.

Dreiske welcome back hon! Where you been hon? :hug:

Ninui that barbecue sure does sound and smell good!!! Wish we could join you in your delicious delectables!

rwhen I love getting new kitchen devices too. Rodri bought me a pot strainer. One that you hold up to the edge of a pot instead of dumping it in a regular strainer. I enjoy it a lot since I love to make myself mac and cheese most days for lunch. I have a power inverter due tomorrow to help me with power at events running my nebulizer.. now to get a battery that can give me the POWER!! :rofl:

Tooks I would love some of your BBQ Pork Ribs!!!! Oh yum!!!! Do you make your own sauce or do you use a store bought one?

Just popped in in the middle of the night here so I have to dash to get some sleep for tomorrow!! See ya guys and gals!! :wave:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby drieske » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:21 pm

rwhen wrote:*glomps on Drieske* *duct tapes to the thread* GOTCHAAAA!!!!
Hey little lady friend. You KNOW how I feel about our meet up in SF. I was just writing Frelga about it and want to meet up with her again if I ever get to make it there again soon. We had so much fun. One of my favorite photos is of you with that guy down in Fishermans Wharf with the GINORMOUS lobster. LOL... I got your mail yesterday and thanks for thinking about my question. I did find out who it was and already contacted her. And KEL...that was the name that I forgot. I haven't seen or heard from him pretty much since SF. Hope you and "the boys" are all well. Hug a kitty or two for me and do NOT be a stranger. As for threads to jump into, most any are great, the TVM or the HELLO will always welcome you home again. :hug:

To be glomped on and duct-taped once again feels soooooooo good! :rofl: :angel:
Hi sweetie pie! Glad you found the mail. I also sent one in-board yesterday but have no idea where it went. Is the option PM gone from TORC? Can you believe our meeting in SF is SIX years ago? I hope you get to meet Frelga again. How I wished I could join you too. Or better yet, get you over here. <3 There are some troubles study- and workwise, but we will manage. The kitties are hugged until they squirmed. =:) Will check out the TVM-thread. Nature photos are my favorite. * hugs * have a wonderful day.

Pippin is totally adorable, Rose! Cute from nose 'till furry feet. :love:

Vanaladiel wrote:Dreiske welcome back hon! Where you been hon? :hug:

Doing all kinds of stuff, working hard and cruising through life, sweetie. :happydance: I read your story about your brother. That is a miracle, to wake up a day after that dreadful suggestion! I wish you all much happiness together, may the coming years be healthy.

Have to skedaddle again, but not without a :grouphug: Enjoy life, enjoy love.

drieske
Mariner

Postby rwhen » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:30 pm

HHHEEEELLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DA HOUSE!!!!!

Labor Day weekend (for the US) doth approacheth.....I'll post some scrummy photos to drool over, please leave some of your own. (I won't personally be making these, but they will be great for an on-line TORC party).

I got my new stuffs....a new garlic press, a meat mallet and a knife sharpener. All work perfectly. I got tired of mincing garlic and while I do use the jar stuff too, I really like the taste of the fresh garlic. Tonight it is home made pizzas. YUM.

Drieske, your goulash sounds great to me, did you save some for me? ;) I bet those "boys" ate it all up. Hope that the family is well....I haven't asked you in a bit. But it is just great to see you posting here and there and I hope you will try and keep it up as your schedule will allow it. I know you are one busy druid. ;) Remember Never Winder Nights? Ah the memories.

Vanadarlin, I love those drain type pots. I don't have one but always drool when I see folks on the tube using them. And I made some mac n cheese last night. I make it from scratch but on the stove top, dead easy to do and much cheesier. Or at least my version is. :D

Ninui, look forward to the spread this weekend. :D You had/have a grand idea there. I think some colorful decorations should go up about the HOUSE too.

Rose, you know I love that Pippin. Give him a squeeze from me. SQUEEEEEE. The ice doesn't melt in my milk either....I put some squeeze chocolate sauce and eat it with a spoon, similar to what you wrote about the chocolate slushies...but not that frozen. It is like dessert for me. :D Are you going to BBQ on the weekend in real life? Either way feel free to leave something here for the HOUSE party.

Tooks...I know we can count on you....at least to show and help us eat all the foods!! Not a calorie to be counted. :D

Okay....if I missed anyone....I'll grab ya next time around. Have a great day all. I am off to rest a bit and then get ready for two closing shifts in a row. I can feel my throbbing feet now.

:hihi: and :grouphug:

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby rwhen » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:34 pm

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:41 pm

Hey...I can bring some potato salad to the BBQ. And other stuff. Will there be fried chicken?

Autumn!!!!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby RoseMorninStar » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:59 pm

Oh! Fried Chicken! That does bring back memories! My grandmother used to make that every Sunday. And cherry pie. I haven't had it in ages. I love potato salad too. The last couple of times I made cauliflower 'potato' salad instead, which is very good (but not as good as real potato salad). But here on the boards we go all out! Not a calorie to count! I should make some old fashioned Fried chicken. I haven't made that in years & years.

rwhen.. Pippin is properly loved up! :) What type of cheese do you like to put in your Mac & cheese? Try not to work too hard!

Speaking of cheese, dairy in New Zealand is a really big deal. Perhaps I've already mentioned that, but I live in Wisconsin, the 'Dairy state' and we have a lot of incredible cheese, but New Zealand cheese would certainly give it a run for it. Amazing brie... oh... yum. I noticed that on many of their cartons (I especially noticed this on egg cartons) it would state which farm the eggs came from. They seem to have a more conscientious/humane concern for their food, and it is reflected in a higher price, but the quality is high.

I'll make cherry pies for the BBQ! And Sangria!
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:15 am

Alas I will not be here for the weekend! Another dash to another event! We are going to Canada this time! So excited!! I have been to Canada since 2008. So looking forward to seeing our camping friends again too!

The food is sounding so good!!! Fried Chicken, potato salad, ribs and cherry pie. OHHHH YUM!

Rose we love the cauliflower mock salad!! Yummy! I actually like it more since so many places add onions to potato salad and it does not do well with me.

Drieske how is the family? I hope all our well!! I know that they are growing and even possibly moving out and starting their own lives is not yet pretty soon! My granddaughter turns 20 next month! :O Just does not seem possible already!

rwhen I love kitchen gadgets!! It's fun to see how they work and how well they work.

Happy Labor Day to each and every one of you!! I may be gone now till next week but will be thinking of you!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:32 pm

Google.bot, me, and one guest.

*sigh*

*sniffle*

Hmmmm....must be some practical joke I can do while everyone is away....

Autumn!!!!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby RoseMorninStar » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:44 pm

Hello. Just little ol' me. Not even a bot to keep me company. (Although by the time I left there were 6 guests!)

*Rosie finds a booby-trapped cookie tray* hmmm.... I see Tooksey's been here. *constructs a trebuchet from a ruler and a bottle of hot sauce to fling a cookie off the tray without tripping the trap* hmmm... yummy. :)

Vana, I make my own mock potato salad and I like a lot of red onion in it. But if someone in my household had a problem with onions I'd just take a serving or two out before adding onions. :) BTW, I recall seeing photos of your pretty white China cat.

Kitchen gadgets. I have a lot, I use a lot. :) They are very important tools. It's hard to find good quality ones. I love a nice, sharp knife!

rwhennie, do you have to work on Labor Day?

Dreiske, we hope to make it to your corner of the world some day. Some of my husbands ancestors came from that general area (on the border of Germany/Netherlands.)
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Ninui » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:59 pm

https://youtu.be/jfzk1hyjZGE

All set up and ready to go. Chips,dips,salad varieties, & grilled vegetables. Plates,cups, utensils and napkins are furnished. Bring whatever you wish or just pull up a seat and have at it.
Come on over to the home alone house Sunday and Monday. We'll be starting at 10am PDT and going till it's over
Ninui
Ranger of the North

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:59 am

*arrives fashionably early*

:roll:

:D