Tunguska Event 1908

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Tunguska Event 1908

Postby MoroccoTheory » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:22 pm

Does anyone know what really happened in Tunguska in 1908?

Was there some sort of altercation between the Orthodox Church and another party?

Who was the other party?

Was it related in any way with Orthodox Christmas celebrations or another holiday?

I just have theories, nothing substantial.
MoroccoTheory
Citizen of Imladris

Re: Tunguska Event 1908

Postby Otaku-sempai » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:00 am

MoroccoTheory wrote:Does anyone know what really happened in Tunguska in 1908?

Was there some sort of altercation between the Orthodox Church and another party?

Who was the other party?

Was it related in any way with Orthodox Christmas celebrations or another holiday?

Um, I'm not sure how much you know about the Tunguska Event. Nothing human-made could have had anything to do with the equivalent of an atomic bomb exploding 40 miles above Siberia in the morning of June 30, 1908. The most likely culprit would have been a large meteoroid that exploded as it was heated by its entry through Earth's atmosphere.

Or, it might have been a visitation by the angered god Ogdy, :P
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby MoroccoTheory » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:30 pm

The year 1908 in Russia might look like an American Western.

The Evenki people in the Tunguska area would be similar to Native American (Indians) in an American style Western movie.

-----

The Orthodox Russians may have looked similar to American style Cowboys or Cavalry units like George Armstrong Custer's.

I'm not an expert in this area, though.
MoroccoTheory
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Otaku-sempai » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:32 pm

What does the pre-existing socio-economic situation in Siberia in 1908 have to do with the big, honkin' explosion in the atmosphere that devastated several hundred square miles of wilderland? I have no idea what it is you are after. Do you?
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby MoroccoTheory » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:05 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:What does the pre-existing socio-economic situation in Siberia in 1908 have to do with the big, honkin' explosion in the atmosphere that devastated several hundred square miles of wilderland? I have no idea what it is you are after. Do you?

On 30 June 1908, at around 07:17 local time, Evenki natives and Russian settlers in the hills north-west of Lake Baikal observed a column of bluish light, nearly as bright as the Sun, moving across the sky. About ten minutes later, there was a flash and a sound similar to artillery fire. Eyewitnesses closer to the explosion reported that the source of the sound moved from the east to the north of them. The sounds were accompanied by a shock wave that knocked people off their feet and broke windows hundreds of kilometres away. The majority of witnesses reported only the sounds and tremors, and did not report seeing the explosion. Eyewitness accounts vary regarding the sequence and duration of the events.

-----

Regarding the Evenki people..
In the 17th century, the Russian empire made contact with the Evenks. Cossacks, who served as a kind of “border-guard” for the tsarist government, imposed a fur tax on the Siberian tribes. The Cossacks exploited the Evenk clan hierarchy and took hostages from the highest members in order to ensure payment of the tax. Although there was some rebellion against local officials, the Evenks generally recognized the need for peaceful cultural relations with the Russians (Vasilevich, 624). Contact with the Russians and constant demand for fur taxes pushed the Evenks east all the way to Sakhalin island, where some still live today (Cassells). In the 19th century some groups migrated south and east into Mongolia and Manchuria (Vasilevich, 625). Today there are still Evenk populations in Sakhalin, Mongolia, and Manchuria (Ethnologue), and to a lesser extent, their traditional Baikal region (Janhunen).
MoroccoTheory
Citizen of Imladris

Postby MoroccoTheory » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:19 pm

The Tunguska Event may have been closer to the Orthodox Easter holiday than Christmas.

The date, 30 June 1908, of the Tunguska Event may be significant. Was that date just coincidence?
MoroccoTheory
Citizen of Imladris

Postby MoroccoTheory » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:31 pm

The Evenki people where skilled in riding and herding reindeer.

Could these domesticated reindeer be related in any way with Orthodox Christmas? I just wondered if anyone knew???
MoroccoTheory
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Otaku-sempai » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:51 pm

Oh. I'm sorry; I didn't realize that you are just mad. MAD! DO YOU HEAR! MAAAAAAD! :twisted:
Otaku-sempai
Shield Bearer

Postby MoroccoTheory » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:33 pm

A number of reindeer were killed during the Tunguska Event.

I'm not sure how many exactly.
MoroccoTheory
Citizen of Imladris

Postby MoroccoTheory » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:32 pm

I participated in at least one Easter egg hunt when I was a kid, so the possible relation between Tunguska and Orthodox Easter interests me.
MoroccoTheory
Citizen of Imladris

Postby MoroccoTheory » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:54 pm

The Battle of Tsushima (1905) during the Russo-Japanese War, took place just three years before the Tunguska Event (1908).

Are these related?

-------

Did the Russians and Japanese have some sort of altercation involving the Evenki people?

------

Jules Verne's 1877 Off on a Comet story could also be related in some way.
MoroccoTheory
Citizen of Imladris

Postby MoroccoTheory » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:25 pm

The Russian Revolution of 1905 also took place about this time.

------

The Tunguska Event was closer to China and Mongolia than it was to Japan.
MoroccoTheory
Citizen of Imladris

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby