Yes, by God, a new thread (with Autobiographies &Life)

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Re: Yes, by God, a new thread

Postby Witchwench » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:48 pm

Tookish_Traveler wrote:Wow, Witchy, that is a cool website. I love the horses. :D And the pups!!! :D

Thanks Tooks! and feel free to join in on the biographies we have going on..learning so much about everyone!

Image <Purple Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Re: Yes, by God, a new thread (with biographies) join in!

Postby rwhen » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:12 am

Tooks, Vanadarlin' and Thor'n....look so forward to you joining on the LOTR's read along thread. :D
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Yes Ayslhyn, I do still remember.

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Re: Yes, by God, a new thread (with autobiographies) join in

Postby Ninui » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:54 pm

Still contemplating biography thingy. :shock:
Ninui
Mariner

Postby Ladykat » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:24 pm

Nope, sorry. No bios here.

I told you I'm too boring for words.

Of course, I could make up a bunch of stuff.....I'm good at that. =:)

LK
Ladykat
Between the Worlds of Men and Make Believe I Can be Found

Postby Witchwench » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:33 am

Ninui...you can do it!!! doesn't have to be all inclusive or epic..or it can be if you wish <3

LK..lol, no such thing as too old and boring in Torc-land! :hug:

Image <Purple Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby rwhen » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:17 am

I would love to read more about you ladies. No judgments here. But I do also know that sometimes it is hard to just let it out....but we are here and honestly do care.

:hug:

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Sunsilver » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:09 am

Okay, going to chime in here...

In April, 2000, I got internet access for the first time. I was a big fan of writer, Janny Wurts, and someone mentioned the Tolkien movies on her website chat room (first one I ever joined!) and that is what led me to TORC.

At first, I only scanned the front pages for movie news, and avoided the chat room. Most of it seemed pretty uninteresting to me (spam...cough...spam...remember those days?)

I didn't really get involved with the message board until the second incarnation of TORC. I had to re-register, and change my user name, as the old one was unacceptable because it had a hyphen in it.

2000 wasn't a good years for me, as I developed an ovarian cyst, and had to take several months off work while waiting for surgery. I was working as a visiting nurse at the time, and will never forget being wheeled out of a patient's home on a stretcher, when the cyst suddenly caused the most horrible abominal pain. Yup, a most embarrassing moment which I had NO desire to repeat! Anway, during those months, I became more active on the net and on TORC.

I became more and more involved with the website, and finally decided I HAD to go to the Gathering of the Fellowship, to celebrate the release of the last movie. That was a very special time! I think it was the first time I ever met some of my 'imaginary friends' in Real Life!
No...wait...I met some of my internet friends who were into writing at World Fantasy in Toronto prior to GotF. Again, that was due to my time on the Janny Wurts website. Some of those friendships have lasted for nearly 20 years now!

Shortly after The Gathering, my life took a very bad turn. My husband suffered a stroke in early January, and after that, it was down, down down down. He never caught a break, it was just one thing after another: stroke, bladder cancer, bowel obstruction, heart attack, congestive heart failure, epileptic seizures -those are just the highlights of his illnesses. I quit my nursing job to look after him, and finally had to hire a live-in caregiver to help out, as I couldn't be on duty 24/7.

He passed away in November of 2004. I also lost my 89 year old father in May of that year, and my mom followed my dad into the West in March of 2005. They had been married nearly 60 years.

Recovery from this triple whammy was slow. There were days when I didn't get dressed, days when I stayed up all night. Many hours were spent at the computer with my 'imaginary friends'. In May of 2005, we finally wrapped up my parent's estate, and to celebrate, I took a bus tour of England and Scotland with a friend. Following that, I returned to work.

It didn't go well. My nursing specialty, ironically enough, was palliative care, and dealing with dying patient then returning home to an empty house was just too difficult. I resigned my job, and took a less demanding job as a PSW/home helper. I had some really wonderful patients, people who treated me like a member of their family. In a way, I was, because I was giving them the help they needed to keep their families going as they dealt with illness.

But still, it was an unbelievably lonely time, and when a friend invited me to move to northern Ontario, so I could be her neighbour, I finally decided to do it.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I found the winters in Sundridge, where you could get as much as 10 to 12 ft. of snow, too much to cope with. Before too long, I put my house on the market and decided to move elsewhere.

While in Sundridge, I found the severe hearing problem I'd been dealing with since I was 12 years old had become bad enough that I qualified for a cochlear implant. I had the surgery at Sunnybrooke Hospital in Toronto, and it gave me a whole new life! Unfortunately, activating and adjusting the implant required numerous trips from Sundridge to Toronto, in the middle of winter, which gave me another very good reason for moving further south!

Once the implant gave me my life back, I thought about going back to nursing. I'd also been looking for a rural property where I could board and train dogs, and when one became available near Bradford (just north of Toronto) I jumped at the chance, and forgot about nursing.

I ran the kennel for 6 years, and during that time had a number of different people 'helping' me out. I have to say, I did not make a very good choice of helpers, and the business suffered as a result. I found myself sinking deeper and deeper into the red financially, and finally there was no other choice but to put the kennel on the market. I was in my 60's now, and running the place completely on my own most of the time was becoming a real strain.

I bought a house near Alliston, Ontario, and found a job as a PSW at a local retirement home. I am now more or less retired, and am sharing my house with two tenants and a young hockey player I'm billeting for a local hockey team, plus 2 German shepherds and a cat. The house is ideally set up for a tenant: they have their own entrance, and their apartment is completely separate from the rest of the house.
Sunsilver
Ranger of the North

Postby Ninui » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:35 pm

No. Sorry.
Going to agree with LK. I have nothing to put down. :|
Ninui
Mariner

Postby rwhen » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:54 pm

Sunny. :hug: Having been a part of RtE....I did follow your story with your husband and the moves and your hearing....but really one can't know much more than surface information until you shared this today. Thank you. Like so many TORCers....it has been two decades (almost) and many of us who were already later in life...not old...but certainly not like the largest part of the boards...who were teens or in their twenties, our lives weren't about school or dating so much as dealing with more life altering complications. For what it is worth, you read like a courageous person to me. You have been so strong to go through all you have and still come out as...well, you the Sunny that I know from back in the day to now.

I remember your dogs vividly...I love shepherds. And I am thrilled that you are finally in a spot that gives your life more meaning.

Ninui...it is okay. If you ever change your mind...we aren't going anywhere. ;) :hug:

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby heliona » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:13 pm

Well, I joined TORC when I was searching the internet for news of casting of the films. I don't ever remember seeing the front page, I came straight to The White Council, as the forums were originally known. I posted a little bit in a hello thread and then right in to The Prancing Pony. Mandos and Shadowfax I think were the first to reply. I left TORC for a while when it got super-bisy as I couldn't keep up with all the posts. But then I came back and have been dipping in and out ever since (been away for a wee while - more on that later).

My life in short; I grew up on a boat with my parents, sailing the world. My ethnicity is British, but because of my upbringing, I'm kind of a child of the World. ;-) I have lived in the UK since I was about 14, apart from a two year stint after university when I went sailing with my parents again. I'm half Scots, half English and have lived in both Scotland and England (England at the moment). I'm an only child, although I have a half-brother. My parents sold their boat a few months ago - that was a massive wrench. I tear up if I think about it. But the new owner has young grandchildren, so hopefully the boat that I grew up on will bring joy to them. And my parents bought a new boat right away (a bit smaller for them in their "old age"!) so there's still sailing to be done.

I used to work for HM Coastguard, coordinating maritime search and rescue, which was really rewarding. But due to a government "modernisation" scheme that involved essentially making half the staff redundant, I left to return to university to study for a graduate diploma in physics (my undergraduate degree was physics and astronomy). It was to see if I wanted to return to academia. I really enjoyed it, qualified with a Distinction, which is the highest you can get (it's the equivalent of a First Class Honours) but couldn't afford to carry on and do a PhD and I wasn't sure I wanted to. So I ended up working in a library at another university. It's a nice, mostly stress-free job with some lovely people.

I've been with my lovely partner for 11 years now! I met him at a TORC moot, of all places. He's not been on TORC for a while, but you might remember him; Wilko185 or Wilko. :-) We also now have a TORC baby girl who is 18 months old. She is the reason I've not been online as much recently!

I had a health scare last year. By a roundabout route, it was discovered that my liver function wasn't what it should be, and several years and two years later, I was told I probably had cancer and needed immediate surgery. At the time, my daughter 7 months old. Two weeks later (which I'd asked for to stop breastfeeding) I had surgery just before my 37th birthday. A month after that I was told that histology had determined that the tumour that had been removed (along with half my liver and my gall bladder) wasn't the incredibly rare cancer they thought it had been but rather a slightly less rare, but most importantly, benign, adenoma (caused by me taking hormonal contraception). They look indistinguishable on scans and you can only tell the difference when they're under a microscope and I would have needed the surgery anyway. Cut to a long recovery whilst not being able to pick up my daughter. My mother was a saint, as I stayed with my parents for six weeks whilst recovering, because Wilko couldn't take all that time off work and I couldn't look after her on my own.

Four and half months after surgery, I got back on a horse and I haven't looked back since. I've got what will hopefully be my last follow-up appointment in a few weeks, when I'll be signed off and discharged. I need to work on my fitness and lose the weight I put on after having my daughter and also whilst being inactive after surgery. But every day is lovely now (even when my daughter won't sleep or keeps climbing on the furniture!) I'm not religious, but I would say every day is a blessing.

Anyway, I'm still here, lurking. :-D Love you all!
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief! & My Instagram account

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Witchwench » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:38 pm

Sunny wow, what an interesting and at times tragic life but ultimately life affirming story. You are a giver and that will always take it's toll. So easy to relate to..having cared for terminally ill mom and now Alzheimer father, I can see wanting a career change from the one you were in..I'm so glad you have found your way back here like I did. <3

helonia, travelling the world by boat, how fun is that! What a life, but it sounds settled and full of love now..and wow, Wilko?! and a baby..blessed indeed. I too have horses..keep me grounded, calm and just plain centered...I need to ride more and do less barn chores..but i still love them from the ground. :D

:rose: :rose: :rose:

:hug: Nunui :hug: :hug:

Image <Purple Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby rwhen » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:42 am

heliona. Thanks for your bio here. I tell ya....I knew all that, of course I did, just like you knew all my stuff. But still I needed an update on the job stuff. The last time we really chatted you were still with the maritime job....but also working on your education. WOW you did a lot. Accomplished a ton. For some reason because of your siggie, I had thought you were working with animals. Back when I was in my twenties I wanted to work at a library in the worst way. I even took some university classes in library science...but....then life happened.

Mostly that I thrilled that you are still in love and that you have a lovely baby to show for it....NOW....

I had no idea about your liver/gall bladder surgery. :hug: Oh dear hugable one. I am overjoyed that the cancer was something that was not evasive or life threatening and that the surgery got rid of what was necessary and you are back to your old self today. I am sorry beyond words for not being around for you. I had no idea. I would of at the least sent you some funny cards or flowers. :( You know that I would have....me...the christmas card sending fool, I haven't even sent out cards for three years now. I am not fishing for trying to make ME feel better. I just am saddened that I wasn't here to be able to lend some online support. But here now.....and you know I love ya more than my polka dot socks. ;) :hug: :love:

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Witchwench » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:19 pm

I changed the title to the thread to include just general things in our lives...

Namely because I needed a thread to just unload on and I didn't want to take away from other thread topics or change the course of an existing thread..so here, a place to tell us about yourselves, in autobiography style or just what is happening on a particular day that you wish to put out there...

I'm stressed out. I don't stress easily, so perhaps this is a growing wiser pain, lol. I work fulltime, when I come home, I relieve the full time care giver for my dementia addled elderly father, then I go to work (12 hours) and rinse and repeat. I have been struggling getting out to the barn to do my chores. My beloved horses are given their care, but I'm lacking in time I am spending with them...they center my soul. For those who love horses, they have a God given gift of being able to center yourself, calm yourself (you can't work with horses effectively if your wound tighter than a ball of rubber-bands) and create a peaceful atmosphere, just spending time with them, grooming, brushing etc..speaking without words and being a part of the herd.

It's a day off, but no one is here , other than me, to sit with my dad...when my son comes home later, I think I'll take a break, pull out the lawn chair and sit with the herd...and pray
and find some peace.

Image <Purple Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Re: Yes, by God, a new thread (with Autobiographies &Life)

Postby rwhen » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:50 am

Witchie....first off. *tears* My life is so small and I have never a reason to complain, yet I find a way. *sigh* Then I read your life and holy schmolly.....ladyfriend.....please give yourself a break. You are accomplishing so much working fulltime and taking care of the pops and family AND running your horse rescue like you do, you also raise doggies. That is a HUGE life and of course there will be times of overload when you just need to decompress. Your way of going to the inner self and praying and being silent is a great one (one I would choose too, by the way), remember to always throw up those troubles to One who can deal with it and knows.

I am so very proud and humbled to know someone like you and I wish that you lived ever so much closer. We all need some hugs from time to time. I know I sure do. But you are a mountain of strength. An honest exemplary pillar and testament of what one person can do. But with all that comes a time for just being with yourself and to take a break and remember that you have to be refreshed to be all you are for everyone else.

Thank you so much for sharing that. It took courage. I am ever here for you or just an email away. jaycee_davis@msn.com. :hug: :love:

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Witchwench » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:46 am

rwhen, your kind kind words are touching and lifted my spirits. I am unsure I deserve any accolades, but your support is appreciated and humbling.

I'm in a much better frame of mind now.I left the house after everyone went to sleep, with no encroaching demands on my time,
I found my herd and went out and just spent time with them, making sure to talk and pet each one and center my soul. I do some of my best praying in the barn or with the herd. A sense of calm and peace entered and I no longer felt overwhelmed. Life''s is definitely a journey and sometimes it just catches up to us...hugs to all

Image <Purple Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby rwhen » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:55 am

Very glad that you are feeling better Witchie!!! :D :hug:

Today is a good day for me, I just realized that I have off tomorrow....unless I get a call in. ;) *dances a happy dance*

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby heliona » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:12 am

Been super busy, we're visiting my parents at the moment.

Witchy, yes, I found that riding is really good for my mental health. My Instagram is where I tend to post photos of my equine friends, when I get the chance to take some - the nights drawing in means the quality isn't great! Unsurprisingly, I'm "theheliona" there, if anyone is inclined to look. :-)

rwhen, thank you, hon. And I know, but I also knew that you had things going on too. :) :hug:

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief! & My Instagram account

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby Witchwench » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:57 am

I'm in for a driveby posting...

helonia, I'll check it out..as soon as I get an instagram account, lol..yeah, i'm behind the times.

I'm outta here, my farrier is coming and I have seven horses to get trimmed up..yikes.

Image <Purple Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby rwhen » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:15 am

heliona I would love to see your Instagram photos....and hey, enjoy the time with family on the trip to Scotland. :D I know you love Scotland anyway....

Witchie.....Farrier....that is a word I haven't heard in a long time. Hope it goes well with all the trimming and shoeing....Another busy day for you my friend.

Hang in.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby heliona » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:23 am

My Instagram account is public, so you don't need an account yourself. :-) I've put the link to it in my signature. :-)

heliona

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:15 pm

Wow!!! It is great to learn so much about each other.

Ninui that is okay hon. :hug: Share only if you wish to.

Quill it was awesome hearing your story! I did not know you were from Alaska! Congratulations on finding your bride!!

Wenchie I live right by the Skagit River too. Well like 7 miles away from it, but in the neighborhood! You are a very strong woman! My hat is off to you!!

Heliona I am sorry about the tough time you had with surgery and not being able to pick up your baby girl. I remember that myself when my daughter was little and having surgery too. It tears at the heart but we get through it and snuggle that much more.

Sunny that had to be a very difficult struggle for that few years. Wow! I had no idea hon. I believe I got to hug you at the GoTF!! I had the large butterfly wings on. Also we hung out in the lobby with Bruce Hopkins each evening to save him for all the little teeny boppers. I am your age as well. Early 60s.

LK that is alright, when and if you are ready we are here! :hug:

Oh I joined the book reading group and am now on The Two Towers. I knew I could not read slowly! I read only at bedtime but about an hour or 2 each night. I still love these books like I did in high school.
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of Calma she passed away on 07/05/19 ! RIP dear lady! :rose:
Primula Baggins passed away on 02/27/19
Cockrobin has passed away on 02/18/2019 Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend!
oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my beloved mother who has joined my daddy with Jesus. :rose: 1/11/20 For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you mom and daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Witchwench » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:27 pm

Vana, no worries..I'm at Two Towers as well..but go back and readdress the chapters..it kind of makes me reflect and enjoy the journey..

It is very nice to read about people behind the name and share...or not share, it is all good. I love that none of us lead perfect dream lives, we all struggle with the human condition and despite the world, politics, geographical obstacles, we all find our way here, and share a love of all things Tolkien and food..reminds me of a homey little cabin with a fire going.

Image <Purple Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Previous

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby