Genealogy

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Genealogy

Postby Witchwench » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:55 pm

I have noticed some of my fellow Torcers study their genealogy. I am a big fan of history and I haven't found anything that brings history alive like genealogy.

What's fascinating, is every person in my tree or your tree is important. Wether they were a dirt poor farmer during the depression, or someone of note in society..they all stand equal when the dust settles..I love that.

I come from very old settlers and indigenous lines...the only immigrants I have in my tree in 300+ years, is my grandma, who came from Madeira Portugal.

I think of my family tree in two terms, North and South. My dad's whole side were Yankees who came over in the 1600's (except his mother: Portugal). Some where on the Mayflower, some arrived a few years later from the British Isles. Some were killed in Native American raids and later by Confederate Soldiers and so forth

My mom's side is all south, mostly immigrating from France, Scotland, Ireland and Native Americans...some prospered and became Plantation owning southerners..others were poor, still others, found themselves on the Trail of Tears...if we go way way back, through the English archives we can even scare up some Plantagenets

I like to say, my dad's family came to these shores and my mom's family was there to greet them...for the next several hundred years, they tried to kill eachother, lol.

I discovered I'm related to Shakespeare (through his niece Lettice Shakespear), I have Mayflower ancestors, and people who fought on both sides of the American Revolution as well as the American Civil War. I have slave owning ancestors, and I'm a direct descendant of Dragging Canoe..who led a raid that killed an ancestor in my dad's side of the tree (luckily my ancestor had been born)...it's all so fragile and all so beautiful to see how many of us are actually related and we don't even know it. I found out, after searching way back, that my own son, is my 7th cousin..we share a Grandfather, seven generations back..I thought that was cool..he was a bit disgusted.

So lets hear what you have discovered, what you might be working on and so forth, history is made very much alive when on researches genealogy.

I have my tree on Ancestry.com...I have approx 7k people in the tree at this time. If I were to venture to guess, I think it is probably 80-85 percent accurate, So I'm working on clean up at this time, one family line at a time.

Also, if your working on a line, someone here may have access to something you need or might be able to look something up

Image<Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Re: Genealogy

Postby Witchwench » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:29 am

Oh on a side note..I took an Ancestry DNA test and gained a Niece! My brother had a one night stand in Alaska and fathered a child he never knew he had...unfortunately I found her too late, my brother had died several months prior..but his children gained a half sister!!

I also found a couple cousins I didn't know about..very cool...or not, I guess that depends on every persons circumstances. But it was awesome for us

Image<Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:00 pm

You are way ahead of me, witchwench. On my mother's side everyone came over around 1900 +/- 5 years. I did find my great-grandmother and her 6 month old child (great-aunt Katie) on the Ellis Island website. My great-granddad was already here, working in the PA coal mines, but he must have come through a different port like Baltimore. Later my great-great-grandparents came over to live with them (aka chain migration). :D

On my dad's side, we can trace some stuff back to the 1600's, mostly to Germany, some to Scotland, some to England, etc. But my great great grandfather with the family name just mysteriously appeared around the 1800's. Having a heck of a time tracing that line!!!!! Probably illegal. ;)

The Boyz are back in town.

--------------------------------------
(for Calma) :(
---------------------------------
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby Witchwench » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:14 pm

Tooks are you on Ancestry.com or some other site?

I love that you have a family full of pretty recent immigrants to the states..now on that grandfather x3 that seems to be a dead end..don't give up, you never know what is going to crack that particular nut open.

I had a similar issue with my great grandmother, took years to crack that...and finally busted it open on Find a Grave, who she was buried by..was a domino effect. She was Choctaw and had been taken out of her tribe (no record of birth etc) and placed in a Quaker school for Native Americans..the thought process was, if they civilized the younger generation in white ways, there would be lesser conflict in future generations..she ended up marrying a white man and never went back to the tribe. Back then, it was frowned upon to be of mixed race, so it was hushed up in the family. Similar circumstances with a grandmother x 4 who was Cherokee and married into the family..that was silenced for generations, until I started to dig, lol...

Image<Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:27 pm

I've been working on my ancestry off & on for decades. Fortunately for me, my grandmother did a LOT of the hard work back in the days before computers! :Q I can't imagine how hard that would be.. writing to everyone waiting for snail mail replies, trying to get documents from court houses and what not.

On my mother's side we have one ancestor (my 9th g-grandfather) who sailed to America on the ship Francis from Ipswich, England in 1634 at the age of 50 and settled in Roxbury, MA. He was an indentured servant for a time (presumably to pay for the passage for himself & his family). He was a tailor and a farmer/landowner. The ancestor of that line married my g-grandmother who came from Ireland around 1899. My mothers paternal ancestors arrived in the US around 1843 from Losheim am See, Germany, settling as farmers in Indiana.

On my father's side the immigration is more recent, arriving in the mid 1890's to 1905 from what is now Slovakia. They settled in Pennsylvania & were coal miners until some moved to the Gary, Indiana area to work in the Steel mills. I had always been told they were Czechoslovakians, but I have recently found out they were/are ethnic Carpatho-Rus (Ruthenians, Rusyns). They are a people without a country of their own. I would love to do a DNA test, but I just don't trust what might be done with that information in the future.

What I have found most rewarding is that I have photos of most of my great-grandparents and even most of my g-great grandparents. Fascinating stuff! I also found a book written by my great uncle titled, 'Son of a Pennsylvania Coal Miner', that has some family history in it. It's a rather simple book, but it's really cool (to me) because of the family connection/stories.

Witchy, what they did with the Native children is really some sad stuff. At least to our sensibilities today. Taking them away from their families, culture, and language.

Tooksey, immigration laws have varied a lot over the years. Many of the coal miners (at least I found it was the case in my family) came over several times & went back home with the money they earned. Some were only here for a time, some stayed and later sent for their families once they were established. Keep looking. You may find something out by checking into other family members; father/mother, brothers/sisters, spouse/children.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Witchwench » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:55 pm

Rose, the thought of doing this all by hand and by snail mail...that would be daunting! Hat's off to your grandma. That is really neat about the book too, that just makes history come alive so very very much. My 7th x Great Grandma was Anna Strong..she was an unofficial member of the Culper spy ring during the US Revolution ..that brought that particular chapter in history very much alive. It's funny/odd how family "stories" can say one thing, but on digging you find out soooo much more.

Image<Witchy
Witchwench
Mariner

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby