The Island Of Misfit Toys

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:18 am

Wenchie, that bird picture is a future sig pic for me.

Gotta hang on to Hugh for a few days yet.
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Gamgee Wench » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:57 pm

Man, it took me a long time to dig this up!

OK, watched the ending again tonight, and nothings changed. Some poor house in Finland....or Norway....had a bird who couldn't fly crash into it's roof, all because a sadistic elf pulled the umbrella away from him at the last minute. It's just not right I tell ya.

But, my husband was happy that they showed the uncut version (sadly, he knows the uncut from the cut). I only watched the part with the birds' hideous death scene.

8)
Gamgee Wench
Mariner

Postby Durin VIII » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:48 pm

I just came here to find this thread :) great minds think a like GW.

We watched it tonight too. My son is old enough now that we can talk about in this show really Santa and most of the North Pole folks are jerks. Besides ridiculing Rudolf Santa whines about having to listen to elf music and seems to be looking for any excuse to cancel Christmas.

Then there is the bird bombing at the end.
Durin VIII
Ranger of the North

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:37 am

Ooooo..... Caught the 'tail' end last night, as the bird and others dive-bombed the houses below. I recently got my hands on a vhs version of this. I'm hoping it's the complete...uncut version. :D

Must watch it soon..... along with Da Grinch.

MoME memories. . .

---------------------------------

Watch my (low budget) movie
here!!!

For more fun, watch this video! ->

Star Trek meets Monty Python!!
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Drogo Baggins » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:08 am

We have it on tape, but still watched it. I'm always amazed how a storm at the North Pole must cancel Christmas for the whole planet.

:roll:

Never thought about the bird who swims not getting an umbrella. Though the thought crossed my mind that Santa doesn't go down any chimneys....just has his elf drop things out of the sleigh......that's lots of umbrellas to pack.....

GW....how much snow did you get???????
Drogo Baggins
Ranger of the North

Postby Gamgee Wench » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:44 pm

Not much Drogo....not much at all. You probably have a lot more....we only have an inch. (How are you by the way!!! I've been meaning to email you and thank you for the architect advice. :) )

Durin, I'm glad that cute son of yours is learning all the right stuff from his Dad. Telling them of the evils of elves is a good thing for them to know, harsh, but realistic. 8)

And good to see your watching quality tv tooks!! The Grinch is good....animated only.

OK...I really got to stop typing, I can't think.
Gamgee Wench
Mariner

Postby GoodSam » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:22 pm

I love this time of year!

First we have the month of gratitude and Alice's Restaurant threads. Now we have the Island of Misfit Toys!

Holiday traditions are so much fun!
GoodSam
Mariner

Postby Gamgee Wench » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:00 pm

Waves to Goodsam!!! :hihi:
Gamgee Wench
Mariner

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:52 am

:D
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby GoodSam » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:58 pm

:hihi: back at GamgeeWench

I am having a hard time believing that Christmas is upon us. I hate for the holidays to rush by. I would rather linger in them and enjoy them more.
Last edited by GoodSam on Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoodSam
Mariner

Postby Drogo Baggins » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:27 am

GW!!....we got 5" or so a week ago....but now we're getting freezing rain, drizzle and ICE. :x Lots of schools delayed and canceled....but not WORK for the grownups.... :x

Your welcome, BTW....how's the project going?? Did you hire someone?
Drogo Baggins
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:10 am

We got about 8-10" depending on where in town you live. It was beautiful, but hard to get to church and home.

Our grandchildren, son and daughter-in-law are visiting and the grandson (3 in January, as he will tell you) LOVES the snow.
We are having early Christmas while they are here.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Gamgee Wench » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:34 pm

Portia...have an awesome time with your family! :) You guys have way more snow than we do at the moment....still only about an inch or two.

OK, another Christmas classic is on the TV right now, and all I hear is the kids cracking up. A Christmas Story.....and they are at the "double dog dare you" part. Serious stuff that. :D

Drogo....we are finished with the Fall 2007 part, finally. We did have a consult with an architect in town, and he came to the house and gave us a lot of good advice....one of which was "you really can do this without my help". He gave us a lot of pointers, primarily on how to connect the roof. We changed our plans a lot....and instead of a wrap around porch, went to a small roof on our present porch (with railings and such to be added in the spring) and Randy installed a nice bay window.

Next Spring we will add the 3 season room/screen room to the side. The architect really thought we should make it a 4 season room, but that just adds a ton more expense, and we really don't need the extra living area....just a nice area that we can sit in the summer without the entire mosquito population eating us for an appetizer. And we will jazz up the back deck....and if I use my womanly wiles...I'll get my hot tub!! (not sure that will fly but a gals got to dream. )

(boy, hows that for hijacking a thread? but, that is what I do. :) )
Gamgee Wench
Mariner

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:27 am

(boy, hows that for hijacking a thread? but, that is what I do. )

At least it's your own thread, Wenchie.

:D

MoME memories. . .

---------------------------------

Watch my (low budget) movie
here!!!

For more fun, watch this video! ->

Star Trek meets Monty Python!!
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Durin VIII » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:26 am

Figured I would drag this old thread up since one of the 2 best holiday specials is on tomorrow night (Grinch being the other one). Will be watching despite Santa being a jerk in this one. The bird bombing being only the final proof that Santa is just a jerk. His treatment of Rudolf and Herby and the environment that would promote such treatment is the main problem.

I do believe I talked a little Rudolf with Gamgee Wench and Bumpy when they were here this past summer.

The other great holiday movie Elf we watched last weekend as well.

Ready to watch Christmas specials? READY SANTA!!!
Durin VIII
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:35 am

I want to be a dentist! :P
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:47 am

Ah good one to revive and about time too. :D

Rudolph!! Poor ol' bird!! I haven't seen it on the tube in quite some time. It probably plays and I just don't watch it.

:hihi: Wenchy...another fine thread on the top!!

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby GoodSam » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:07 pm

Durin VIII wrote:Figured I would drag this old thread up since one of the 2 best holiday specials is on tomorrow night (Grinch being the other one). Will be watching despite Santa being a jerk in this one. The bird bombing being only the final proof that Santa is just a jerk. His treatment of Rudolf and Herby and the environment that would promote such treatment is the main problem.

I do believe I talked a little Rudolf with Gamgee Wench and Bumpy when they were here this past summer.

The other great holiday movie Elf we watched last weekend as well.

Ready to watch Christmas specials? READY SANTA!!!

I distinctly remember a conversation with you and Bumpy about this. I think everyone else was buying ice cream or taffy or candy apples or something. I can't remember what initiated the conversation. Was there a store in Estes Park with Rudolph figurines or something? It seems bizarre to me that the subject would even come up.

Anyway, I think that Santa is lucky that the dwarves never organized a union -- North Pole Toy Makers Local 101. If they had maybe Herby could have stayed around and provided mandatory dental care for all the rest of the elves. Also, Santa would be in court facing harassment charges today by implying that dental work was less Elfish than making toys. That is just plain discriminatory and wrong!

I'll have to set this one to record on the DVR.
GoodSam
Mariner

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:46 pm

I have a DVD of Rudolph which I watch every year more than once. And yes, I like it despite all its continuity errors:

*On the opening credits, the copyright date in Roman numerals is MCLXIV, which is 1164. So the show is in public domain now! 1964 would be MCMLXIV

*Sam the Snowman is handed a banjo before singing "Silver and Gold." But, there's no banjo music with the song when he plucks it.

*The elf throws the bird overboard who can't fly, and it falls to its death, unless it was released over the ocean. :P

*Count the reindeer on Santa's sleigh. There are only six, plus Rudolph. Shouldn't there be eight?

*In the deleted scene, what is Donner doing on the ground admiring his son? He should be hitched to the sleigh. Maybe he's one of the missing reindeer. And maybe Comet stayed behind to clean the sink.

*They can't get that elf's name right, the one who wants to be a dentist. Sometimes they call him Herbie, sometimes Hermie. Sort of like the Bakshi Aruman/Saruman naming in LOTR.

*Of course Santa doesn't eat the food Mrs. Santa lays before him. She's a TERRIBLE cook! Would you eat purple food? :puke:

*Santa must have sent out for pizza. He gains at least 100 pounds in a few short hours. Of course, something like that happens in the movie The Santa Clause.

*On the Island of Misfit Toys, when Rudolph, Yukon Cornelius and Hermie/Herbie settle down to bed, Rudolph decides to leave so he won't give them away with his nose. Was he raised in a barn?? When he leaves the doll house, he leaves the door open so they'll freeze to death! Well, of course, he was raised in a cave, so I can excuse him.

*King Moonracer of the Island of Misfit Toys is a winged lion. He flies all over the world to pick up misfit toys that aren't loved. So, why doesn't he fly the short distance to Santa's castle to tell him about all the misfit toys. DUH! :P He has to get Rudolph & co. to tell Santa.

But, I'll excuse Rankin/Bass. I'm no purist. :twisted:

Enjoy the special. I wish I had a HD TV so I could see it in all its glory. It should be wonderful.[/b]
Last edited by Cock-Robin on Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I love french toast, too!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Durin VIII » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:40 pm

GoodSam said
Was there a store in Estes Park with Rudolph figurines or something? It seems bizarre to me that the subject would even come up.

Well in Estes Park I am sure there was a Christmas store that caused the conversation to start. What is wrong with discussing a classic any time of the year? Much like Michelangelo, the Beatles, Orson Wells the team of Rankin/Bass has no season and be discussed at any time.

Though Santa is still a jerk in Rudolf. When the head Elf encourages the singing elves “this time for Santa” you can hear the fear in his voice as he knows the consequences he might face if the elven choir fails to please Santa.
Durin VIII
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:54 pm

Gamgee Wench wrote:Man, it took me a long time to dig this up!

OK, watched the ending again tonight, and nothings changed. Some poor house in Finland....or Norway....had a bird who couldn't fly crash into it's roof, all because a sadistic elf pulled the umbrella away from him at the last minute. It's just not right I tell ya.

But, my husband was happy that they showed the uncut version (sadly, he knows the uncut from the cut). I only watched the part with the birds' hideous death scene.

8)

GW, something like that happens in Frosty the Snowman. When Santa and Frosty drop off that little girl at her home, they leave her on the roof of the house. Now how is she supposed to get down off that roof??? She ends up freezing to death up there.

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Gamgee Wench » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:25 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Durin found this moldy oldy. :) I'll have to tell Mr. Bumpy, who will greatly appreciate Cock-Robin's in-depth analysis of this interesting show.

Yes, it's that time of year where evil elves massacre poor innocent non flying birds. Gotta love it. 8)

Quick story: I was getting some of my field crew ready for some work this summer, and for some reason, one of the crew mentioned Rudolph the Red nosed Reindeer in an email ( I don't remember why, but it made sense at the time). Well, me being me, I needed to inform these young, innocent people of the horrible elves living at the north pole and what not. I didn't get any response back to my diatribe. Nothing.

Then I realized, other than them thinking I'm completely daft, that technically, I'm their boss, and almost twice some of their ages, and maybe they were afraid to say "What the heck is wrong with you?" or "your an idiot" or something. So....I went to the site the next day to check on the project and at the right moment I asked "so, did you guys understand the problem with the elves.?" :D The one guy just looked at me and said he was clueless and never watched that stuff. The other guy said he got it but thought I was a bit strange. But the gal, the wonderful lady, started cracking up and said she thought her parents were the only ones who had picked up on the non flying bird thing. She had already forwarded my email to them and thought it was great. :) So....others think like this!!! (or she was just sucking up, but I don't think so).

Well Goodsam, Durin, I don't remember what started that conversation, but I do remember it happening. I don't know, I kind of think it was inevitable to get around to Rudolph at some point. But I'm not sure I can go so far as to say Rankin/Bass is on line with Michelangelo, the Beatles, or Orson Wells. (Orson Wells?) But, Durin is the resident Rankin/Bass guru here. :D

Oh, and Cock Robin....everybody knows Frosty in general is evil. I wouldn't put it past him to freeze a girl. (I don't like that snowman).

Tomorrow night! Birds will die again! :rofl:

Hi Rose and Rwhen!!!!
Gamgee Wench
Mariner

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:33 pm

I just thought of a connection betwen Rudolph and LOTR. It just came to me tonight. When Rudolph joins the team, that makes...Nine Reindeer. Nazgul! And Rudolph leads them. Is Rudolph the Witch-King after all? And does that make Santa....Sauron? Did I see a Ring on his finger? :twisted: :eye:

Now I know why Mrs. Santa keeps trying to poison him with purple food.

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Gamgee Wench » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:50 pm

You've got a good brain there Cock-Robin, I like how you think :)
Gamgee Wench
Mariner

Postby Gamgee Wench » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:24 pm

Well, it's on right now, and my husband is glued to the TV, making editorial comments about Herbie and the mean head elf. :roll:

But, this makes official, the Christmas season has begun. :)

I'll just watch the end.... :whistle:
Gamgee Wench
Mariner

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:03 pm

:shock: :cry2: Oh, horrors! That poor bird got slaughtered again! That's no elf, it's an ORC! :x :eye: :lightening:

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby luthienelflover » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:12 pm

:shock:

:rofl:

:shock:

:angeldevil:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh my how did I miss this thread years ago?? I haven't laughed that hard in... well... since I was watching the Office yesterday to be honest, but the Office is exceptionally funny. :P
Alex :heart:
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby erinhue » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:17 am

WitchKing with your nose so bright
Won't you guide my sleigh tonight?
Then how the Nazgul loved him
As they shouted out with glee
Rudolph the Red Nosed WitchKing
You'll go down in Hi-stor-reeeeeeee :whistle:
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Durin VIII » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:58 pm

I watched Rudolph twice last night. My son was at church confirmation class while it was on so I watched it while playing World of Warcaft and then when he got home we watched on Tivo. All the way until the bird bombing.
Durin VIII
Ranger of the North

Postby InnocentEvil » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:24 pm

We watched it together last night; LTC and I speculating on the fate of that poor little birdy.

That.. and for two seconds the voice of King Whatshisface sounded like George Takei.. Anybody know who it really is?
Hey, look who I found lurking. She sure has kept up her figure!

InnocentEvil at theonering dot com

"The magician stood up straight as a pillar, stretched out his arms in both directions, looked at the ceiling and said the first few words of the Nunc Dimmittis" -- T. H. White, The Once and Future King
InnocentEvil
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby