Class of 2000?

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Re: Class of 2000?

Postby orodreth111 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:50 pm

Congrats!!! :)
orodreth111
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:34 pm

Congrats on the Long Haul. Let it not be forgot, that once there was a spot.... :TORC:
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby Gamgee Wench » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:18 am

14 years....wow. That is a long time for all of us. I don't stop by nearly as much as I should, but I still lurk in the wings sometimes.
Really miss the good old days. But time marches on. I used to think I didn't have time for things years ago but now I really don't seem to have time. Everyone told me that you things get easier when the kids get older.....they lied. :D

Hugs to you all! :grouphug:
Gamgee Wench
Mariner

Postby Durin VIII » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:44 am

I just happened to come here and look and saw that I hit 15 years ago this month. One day at work saw a article on CNN.com about them making movies about my favorite books, with a link to this website. Now 15 years later 5 (soon to be 6) movies later. I really did not start doing much here until 2000 when a bunch of cool kids joined, it could be argued that I never did much here judging by my post count (Still targeting by 2100 for ring bearer)

So when I joined my son was 2, and now he is a senior in High School. I been through 3 different companies. Like GW said anyone who said things get easier as you get older lied. Life certainly takes some unexpected turns

*waves* :hihi: to all the cool kids still here
Durin VIII
Ranger of the North

Postby GoodSam » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:41 pm

Waving right back at you Durin. Hi GW. I wonder if we can get a cameo from MOS, and Minardil, maybe take a little tour in the Winnebago.
GoodSam
Mariner

Postby Gungnir » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:33 am

My official TORC birthday is coming up in 10 days but I was posting at least 6 months before that date.

I can hardly believe it's been 14 years. To echo Durin VIII above, when I started here, I lived in a different country and my daughter was 4 years old and now she is studying linguistics at Oxford. :shock:
Gungnir
Mariner

Postby Gamgee Wench » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:37 pm

Goodsam, Scirocco, hue, Oreo, Drogo, Gungnir and Durin VIII ! Wow....good to see the names.

I remember for me, the board was a great way to pass some time while my babies were young. Now my youngest is a senior in high school and I'm just so blown away at how fast that time went.
Gamgee Wench
Mariner

Postby erinhue » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:09 pm

yeah tell me about it. Dan was well he was The Danimal then no even a year old when I joined up. Now he is not quite as tall as I am but he is giving me a good run for it. For crying out loud he's got a peach fuzz mustache, light but very visible and he is so very proud of it. He is a month or two short of 15 and I can't imagine how the heck that happened. Sure has been a long time, where did it go to so fast.

Real pleased to see so many good old friends popping in. Let's do it again sometime real soon, ya hear :D

erinhue

Postby Drogo Baggins » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:33 am

One more children growing up fast story....I announced the birth of my son on TORC....now he's a strong 13 year old (14 in March). Time does fly.....
Drogo Baggins
Ranger of the North

Postby The Nameless Thing » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:30 am

Whatever happened to Adam, and Neinna?
The Nameless Thing
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:28 pm

The Nameless Thing wrote:Whatever happened to Adam, and Neinna?

They were banned a long time ago.

:hihi: TNT. :)
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby The Nameless Thing » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:32 am

:doh:

Did not know that. Must have happened during one of my protracted absences. This is about they only thread I watch looking for old friends. What's new with you?

I'm 6 time grandpa now (best job in the world BTW). Still live in southern Cali (er, I mean southern Mordor). Only occasionally look in here. Still read a ton of fiction but gravitate toward Dan Brown, James Rollins, or Robert Crais type stuff. Also love Peter Hamilton's sci-fi. Good fantasy is is hard to find these days.

Anyway, good to hear from you.

TNT
The Nameless Thing
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:43 am

Yes, I think it happened whilst I was away too. :D

I'm doing well - working in a university library and having a blast at it. :D

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby Gwen » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:17 am

Merry Christmas old timers! Can't believe my account is still retrievable! Love it. Going to see the final episode today with a big group including my elementary aged kids who are very excited. My son can't wait to see Smaug! So fun. This board was a lot if fun back in the day. I know I'm a lowly class of 2001 but still....fun to see recognizable names from the "baaaadest class". Take care Torcers!
Gwen
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:39 am

right back at ya Gwen, darlin' right back at ya :D

erinhue

Postby strider- » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:02 am

Merry Christmas all and Happy New Year! Hope you are all keeping well :)
strider-
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:21 am

Back at ya, strider! Image Good to see you on the boards again, if only briefly. I hope the holiday season has been good to you so far. :)

Gwen, welcome back. :D

And happy holidays to all the old-timers from 2000. ;) :D

heliona

Postby Terry D » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:41 pm

I figured with a TORC birthday nearin', I'd pop in for a brief visit. At my age, glad I din't poop! Blech! :mightysquid:

Howdy peeps! :grouphug: Hope all is well, with you and yours...
Terry D
Ringbearer

Postby Terry D » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:25 pm

Would anyone want to join me, in creating a BLOG? :hug:

A few months back, I seriously considered starting a BLOG. Checked online money makers and the bloggie thingee was near the top. I know, I know,.. I'd imagine, there are very few peeps out there actually making dough, from blogs. And my wife, quite the Internet savvy sweetie, that she is,.. pooh-poohed that idea. :nono: She (probably justly), said it is much too difficult to find an audience.

But, last night I had difficulty sleeping and my mind returned to Blog-dom. I had an idea that I thought was profitable, the community has millions of passionate fans and a link to a major network seems to be a way to get the Blog out there... But, I also have several other ideas, actually I don't particularly care, what the topic would be, if someone else has something they want to write about? I'm in!

What I'm trying to say, do any of you have thoughts on BLOGS? Especially the aspect of making it a marketable endeavor?

And I'd be especially interested in partnering up with someone, who might be interested too. Actually the more the merrier! :grouphug:
Terry D
Ringbearer

Postby Terry D » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:39 pm

One thought that just dropped in my noggin'...

If someone from over the pond, would be interested,.. we could do a duet, on European TV versus American TV. Or, perhaps, BBC versus USA Network programs? Independents? Canadian?

This is ready made, to tap the links to TV websites, getting our BLOG into the public. The particular TV sites are delighted, to get their product any advertisement they can. And the popular shows have a built in fan base and accompanying forums.

As I said, I'd be open to anything I could get passionate about. I believe passion for your topic is essential.

by the by, if anyone would like to partner in a BLOGGIE venture, just e-mail me, tdonnow@selu.edu
Terry D
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:48 pm

That does sound rather interesting, and I'm sure I'd read it. :) I don't think I could contribute, since I watch mostly American TV. :D But I'd definitely read it. :)

(And welcome back.)

Oh, and I think some people make good money from Youtube videos. I'm sure people make money from blogs too. :)

heliona

Postby Terry D » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:15 pm

heliona, so very good to see ya! Wondermus,.. my first reader and I don't have anything out there, yet! Woozies! lol!

A few months ago, I went on a Zombie spazz! These plodding goobers never interested me before... but, SYFY started a new series Z-Nation and the previous week I watched a Walking Dead marathon. And yours truly had a lot of time on his hands and with great hesitancy, some trepidation and not a lot of hope... entered the Zombie Apocalypse. Well, to my surprise, I got into these two series. One is serious the other is more casual. But, I found I had enjoyed both of them. I'm now a certifiable Walking Dead-head!

I discovered that these two series had a very passionate and numerous following, Walking Dead, more so. So, I did some research and the popularity was amazing. Soooooo, came the notion to Blog on all things Zombie Apocalypse. The variety and depth of this clichéd venue, was a surprise. My first attempt was discussing the role of women in the Zombie genre. My fingers could not stop tippy-tapping! The Feminine presence in Zombiedom was addressed in these series, with depth and variety. The roles women play and the issues dealt with, were quite heady! I mean, even had a way to use a Mother Theresa comparison and quote!

After a few months, I've let the Zombie thing simmer. Don't know if I want to spend my time discussing wobbly walkers? lol!

But, I realized that TV programs were a good way to link to a community, that already has a passion for most any subject, one could choose.

I would love to have a Dr. Who theme, or, sci-fi in general. Time travel or fantasy series? LOTR related, well that goes without saying,.. lol! Or, investigate how the "Quest for the Holy Grail" relates to disparate TV programs. This interests me much more than oozing zombies. But, I can find a passion for most any thing... And don't worry, I would take up any slack, if you were too busy to be a regular contributor.

As a matter of fact,.. if several peeps shared this enthusiasm,.. I could handle the brunt of the BLOG, or, a second partner and I as a team,.. and others could come in as occasional special guest contributors? If we were financially successful the profits would be shared equally, or, according to one's contributions. A fair share for everyone.

If anyone would like to discuss possibly starting a Blog,please e-mail me tdonnow@selu.edu
Terry D
Ringbearer

Postby Terry D » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:30 pm

Of course, with any subject, we happen to choose as the main Topic,.. we would utilize an imaginative twist or innovative slant, to broaden the discussion. ...throw in a lot of video clips, which link to the TV show's web site!

We might even work out a way to link with other TORCER's blogs? Gwen Elf's "Torcers with cameras" thread, would be amazing!

We could offer prizes on any proposed blog, from among the photos on Gwennie's blog!?!

It would be easy to link a clickable photo, or, video,.. to open up a second page, with the other blog's goodies

With all the excellent writers on TORC,.. probably there are even more bloggies, we may unite?

A small network would benefit all! :drink: :grouphug: :drink:
Terry D
Ringbearer

Postby legolas the elf » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:33 pm

I'm still alive, just checking in. :)
Good to see the names on here. I was a kid of 19 when I joined this....err still a kid at 33. I echo what Gamgee Wench said, no time, no time. Maybe in old age I'll come live here again...
legolas the elf
Mariner

Postby Terry D » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:46 pm

He said old! :thppt:

So good to see ya lego! :horse: You bring back such wonderful memories! :angel:
Terry D
Ringbearer

Postby erinhue » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:06 am

Lego How's tricks? grand to see ya Know what ya mean about time I got none right through here but I always try to make a space to get to this place. all these years and I still love TORC...just missing the old days and the old gang.

erinhue

Postby heliona » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:01 pm

You know, Terry D, you'd probably be better starting a new thread on your blog idea, because not many people pop into this thread (there not being many of us 2000ers around now ;) ). :)

heliona

Postby Terry D » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:12 pm

I know, heli-cutietrix! But, I hardly posted this in here. Not sure how cool it is to spam, sorta, for a personal project? I feel kinda bad already, posting this anyway. :(

But, I just thought that if a few of the ole timers united,.. we might be able to capture some of the elven magic of the good ole days? :clap: I really like the idea of a blog that is more a conversation, a group, presenting their personal slants,.. or a dialogue,.. rather than a monologue.

I was hoping there might be a moment of serendipity and someone I already know and trust, would stumble in. Which would go toward validating the enterprise. I truly believe a few of us could make something special. And, as was said,.. "if you build it, they will come". It goes without saying, I'd always add a dash of Tolkien, in everything I write. And would add a banner which linked to "The One Ring", to invite others to our beloved TORC community. If people were too busy, they could just e-mail me a few thoughts and I would add them in, appropriately.

There are so many ideas rolling around my nut box. :woah: Zombie Apocalypse,.. dark exterior, or, more genteel, erudite leanings... very interested in Questing for all things Grail related, or, exploring the Feminine Essence. Humor and the freedom of contributors to express what they have found significant, are essential elements, to strive for... meaningful content, to contribute positive, helpful, hopeful insights.

There is so much heartache and negativity! We need to make the world a better place. We need to communicate light and love!

As I said, if there were already other TORCer blogs, we could link them all and form a mini community for support. If the others were willing. I don't want to step on any toesies, nor, offend anyone, with a pushy attitude.

But, I'm so ready to start a meaningful, inspiring, financially viable project. :hair:

As a retired gentledoode, I have the time to commit to this project and take up any slack, time restraints would place on anyone else, who might join. There is so much talent here. If we could get a group, who occasionally contribute to the blog, as guests, that would be amazing!

And with the TV angle,.. HULU and Netflix make it so easy for peeps to get informed and quickly develop a modicum of expertise, if they are not familiar with a particular program. We could have a couple of months to go to HULU or, something similar,.. and watch a particular episode. If one had a few months heads up, it would not be difficult to view a one hour show, taking casual notes,.. then providing an informed slant, on a program they are not that familiar with. Or, we could have guests present a virgin's insight, as first time viewers.

I don't know? I feel all nekkid right now. Beginning to feel this is not the way I should present this. I probably should just edit and erase all this foolishness?
Terry D
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:06 pm

Terry D wrote:I don't know? I feel all nekkid right now. Beginning to feel this is not the way I should present this. I probably should just edit and erase all this foolishness?

Don't you dare! It's a grand idea! I can't contribute to a zombie discussion, as I've never seen the "Walking Dead" or really any other television shows/movies (apart from "Shaun of the Dead") involving zombies. I have however just got a book out of the library talking about the interaction between the television series, "Supernatural" and their fandom. As a fan of the show, I think it should be an interesting read, and I thought of your project when reading the blurb on the back. :)

heliona

Postby Terry D » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:28 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. You are such a sweetie! I don't know, my wife, dearest Cat, is prolly right and I'm spinning my wheels?

Supernatural? That is quite interesting. On "TNT" the series "Supernatural", is the lead-in to the mini "Grimm" marathon, on every Wednesday night. I haven't watched much of "Supernatural", the very little I've seen was quite good. With your moistest? errr, uhh, mostest,... exceptional taste! :P That's a quality endorsement! I'll probably have to dig up the series on HULU and start from the beginning. But, that will be sometime in the future. The past few months I've went through the entire "Walking Dead" series. Some a few times. Lately, I've been revisiting "Dr. Who".

Dingles, got distracted... the "Supernatural" lead in, is just about to start and then "Grimm". Right now, "Grimm" is one of my favorite programs. Don't know if you've watched it. But, if you did not, it's best to start from the beginning season,.. it really builds on previous episodes.

Have you watched the SYFY series "Haven"? I love that show!

heliona, I'm not vested in Zombie-dom. Not sure I want to become a leading voice for Zombies?

:Q As with the book you just borrowed; I discovered the huge Dead Head fan base. 8) Convincing me, this particular venue, would be easier to get an audience, for a BLOG. "Walking Dead" fandom is immense and very passionate!. That was one of the critical selling points for me.

But it would be fun, to partner with tuile,.. especially if she had never watched WD! I could write tuile an open letter,.. keeping her apprized of conditions, of ALL THINGS of ZOMBIE nature. And sweetums, tuile,... could respond, as a person totally supportive, but, totally oblivious of any thing zombie!?!? I'm sure she, we would, immediately, develop a delightful repartee! She responding, with her usual coquettishness, some feather boa dazzle dazzled , droll and often "off topic" reply !

I would love to do a BLOG, with tuile! Or, rwhen and Vana, would be hilariously exotic tri-partners! There are any number of people I love here,.. that would make most enriching writing companions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :angel: lol! Oh, hi Bard! :D Speaking of a distinguished, albeit busy, wordsmith that would suit in any writing endeavor! erinhue, it is :horse: to see legolas, and you, again! :hug:
Terry D
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby