ouch!

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

ouch!

Postby ILvEowyn » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:13 am

freak bball injury

Did you ever hear of such a thing?
ILvEowyn
Ringbearer

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:21 am

Read this story in the newspaper this morning, always getting a little nauseated when reading stuff like this. :|

Very freaky accident indeed.
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby Shieldmaiden_pippin » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:26 am

Yikes!

No, never heard of this kind of accident before...

yeesh, poor kid :(
Shieldmaiden_pippin
Ranger of the North

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:11 am

Oh my goodness! :shock: :(

What a thing to have to go through when you're only 10. :( Thank goodness he repaired so well!

Evenstar_of_Imladris
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:18 am

That's awful to happen to anyone, but especially a ten year old. The goal must have been lowered for him to be dunking on it. I hope and pray he will be ok.

Dan
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Amrunelen » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:31 am

Good grief. :shock: Ouch...

At least it seem he's going to be alright.
Amrunelen
Mariner

Postby Ugluk » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:48 pm

Makes me think of our basketball hoop attached to the front of our garage. It's rickety enough that a dunk could tear it loose, and possibly a beam that runs along the front. :shock:

I should get some nails and get to work.
Ugluk
Ringbearer

Postby Galadriel_elanor » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:45 pm

Holy cow! That poor kid! I hope everything goes al right after surgery and he still has the feeling in his limbs that were cut off!

:shock:
Galadriel_elanor
Ranger of the North

Postby Eriugeaf » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:37 am

Oh My, poor little kid!!! :shock:

I hope he does recover fully!

No one deserves that!

Poor little kid! I hope he sues whoever owns that brick wall!!! :x

Eri :D
Eriugeaf
Ranger of the North

Postby Maewyn » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:51 am

I live in Perth, where this accident happened.

From what I've heard on the news and in newspapers the boy, Terry Vo, is doing very well. It was reported that he was talking to one of the ambulance officers on the way to hospital, asking him if his was the worst case he'd seen. The officer replied that it was, and was amazed that he was so calm. :shock: Young Terry loves sport and enjoys karate. His uncle said he's always had a positive outlook, and he'll need a lot of that in the future.

Doctors say his arms and leg will be 3 - 4 cm (about 1-3/4") shorter now due to the work that had to be done before the hands and foot could be re-attached. Doctors expect he should achieve 90% use of his limbs.

There will be an enquiry into the accident, and suggestions have been made that only free-standing basketball hoops be allowed. It's amazing how these sort of pronouncements always happen after the fact.

It was an accident that no one could have foreseen, and I feel sorry for the people at whose house the accident happened. Imagine how you would feel if it had been your house, with happy children playing and enjoying a birthday party when this happens. People would assume anything attached to a brick wall would be stable enough to take a child's weight. :|

I certainly wish him a full recovery.

Maewyn :)

P.S. I just heard on the news that Terry is now out of Intensive Care.
Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby ILvEowyn » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:03 pm

Well that's good. Thanks for that news Maewyn :)
ILvEowyn
Ringbearer

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:10 pm

Thank you very much for the update Maewyn - that certainly is good news. :)

Evenstar_of_Imladris
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby lady*of*rohan » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:23 pm

Wow! Thats crazy! I feel so bad for that kid. I don't think I'd be that calm even k=now let alone when your 10!

huggles
:angel: Rohy

lady*of*rohan
Ranger of the North

Postby snipelfritz » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:26 pm

A couple of years ago, in the town I live in, a kid was paralyzed because a soccer goal tipped and fell on him when he and a couple other kids were hanging on it. :(

Its good that Terry is doing well.
snipelfritz
Shield Bearer

Postby Maewyn » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:11 pm

Just a little update on Terry.

In today's newspaper there was a report that he's had a small setback in that he's going to lose some skin from his reattached foot. The report gave no further details, except that he's continuing to improve.

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby lady_of_legolas » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:16 am

Eeeeee, poor guy!! :( How horrible!!!! *shudder*
I'm so glad he's improving now! :)
lady_of_legolas
Ranger of the North

Postby Maewyn » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:27 pm

The latest news is that it is likely young Terry will lose his foot. :(

Edit: I've just heard a news update - unfortunately, doctors have had to remove the foot.

However, the good news is that he's regained more movement in his hands. The doctors say he still alert and positive.

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Maewyn » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:02 am

Another update on Terry.

In today's newspaper there was a report that said he is likely to have a prosthetic foot fitted in the next week or so, and that he should be well enough to go home in three or four weeks.

He has also "gained movement in one hand". I assume this means he has more movement in one hand than the other (on top of earlier movement achieved).

Hospital staff say, "He's always positive and enthusiastic and just wants to get out there and do stuff".

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Calma » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:34 pm

Thanks for the updates, Maewyn!

I hope he continues to improve and that positive attitude never leaves him.
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby Didi » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:07 am

ouch! seems me the only fitting word yes :shock:

*shivers*
Didi
Ringbearer

Postby Klonkku » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:20 am

Page not found :cry2:

Can somebody re-cap the story?
Klonkku
Ringbearer

Postby Didi » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:22 am

10 year old kid plays basketball. Dunks. Whole thing comes down. Kid under it. Loses hand + 2 feet. Undergoes surgery. 3 limbs at once.
Seems everything will get better though.
Didi
Ringbearer

Postby Maewyn » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:59 pm

Thanks for your interest Klonkku, and Didi for passing on an overview of the situation. The poor boy actually lost both hands and one foot. The foot has since been amputated.

There was a small article in today's newspaper, which I scanned and have linked here.

He certainly has a lot of courage. I wish him luck for the future, and feel he's one of those people who won't let a disability get in the way of enjoying life.

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Didi » Sun May 01, 2005 12:46 am

Ah I didn't know about his foot :!: :s

Btw can someone please explain me the last sentence though. What's that about playstation has no hand control, Isn't that what Playstations are supposed to have?
Didi
Ringbearer

Postby Maewyn » Sun May 01, 2005 5:33 am

Btw can someone please explain me the last sentence though. What's that about playstation has no hand control, Isn't that what Playstations are supposed to have?

Didi - I Googled Playstation Eye Toy for you. From what I can work out, it has a camera which records your movements, and so whatever is on the screen, moves as you do.

Australia's Sixty Minutes program featured Terry's story tonight. What an amazing young boy!

When asked by the reporter how it felt when the accident happened, he said it didn't really hurt, rather that it felt like pins and needles. He was unaware that his foot had been cut off, and tried to stand. He also said that he didn't scream or cry, because he remembered hearing that when someone is injured and bleeding badly, getting really upset speeds the heart rate, which would make the wound bleed more. :shock:

He can move his fingers. He can feel pressure on his fingertips, but can't feel hot or cold. Doctors say if he perseveres with his physiotherapy (over a long period of time), he should be able to use a pen to write again.

They showed the stitches being removed from his wrist. :shock: He was also shown walking (hopping), whilst leaning on a type of walking frame. A prosthetic foot should be fitted soon.

I have a feeling Terry is one of those people who will succeed in life, no matter what's thrown at him!

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Maewyn » Tue May 17, 2005 3:26 am

Another update on Terry Vo.

He is now walking unaided on his new prosthetic foot, only four days after it was fitted. His physiotherapist walks beside him, in case he should stumble. He can't afford to fall, because like anyone, his first reaction would be to put his hands out in front to save himself. This action could cause more damage to his hands. She has to keep reminding him to slow down - he wants to run!

He still receives six hours of physiotherapy on his hands every day. His doctors are amazed at his physical and mental progress.

Go Terry! :clap:

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Maewyn » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:18 am

Next Update

Terry is now walking easily, and unassisted on his prosthetic foot (his physiotherapist no longer is hovering beside him in case he stumbles).

He is also starting to write, which means his hand is responding well to physiotherapy.

It has just been announced that all basketball hoops sold in Australia will now have warnings attached, and instructions on where to attach them, to avoid terrible accidents like this from recurring. (Pity they hadn't thought of that before it happened.)

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Maewyn » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:15 am

Next Update!

Young Terry has finally left hospital, three months after his terrible accident.

Photo

Story

A TV report the other night showed him walking normally on his prosthetic foot. He's been warned he's not to run (for fear he'll fall and damage his hands if he uses them to break his fall)!

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby luthienelflover » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:16 am

That's wonderful, that he's finally been able to leave. :clap:

Thanks for keeping us updated, Maewyn. :)
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Maewyn » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:10 pm

It's a few months down the track, and I have another update on Terry Vo.

Last night Australia's Sixty Minutes had a feature on his progress.

The Terry Vo Story is a direct transcript and doesn't show where flashbacks are shown, so it can be a bit confusing with the story jumping back and forth.

I've copied some extracts that indicate how he has progressed.

A recap on what happened.

TARA BROWN:...
It could have been anyone's backyard, Easter weekend, a child's birthday party and the children gathered around to play a game of basketball. Terry Vo had the ball and, as he'd done in so many other games, decided to slam dunk it. He jumped and grabbed onto the basketball hoop, which was just there, just above the garage, but as he hung on, the brick wall it was attached to gave way.

You said to me when we first met that you felt lucky, that it could have been much worse.

TERRY VO: I was lucky that my friends didn't get hurt and it didn't chop my head off.

TARA BROWN: But to everyone else, Terry Vo was the unluckiest kid in the world, slicing off both hands and his left foot.

From a distance, three kids doing what so many young Australians do on a Sunday afternoon. But what makes this remarkable is that one of the kids is Terry Vo, shooting hoops, catching and running almost as well as any 10-year-old.

The vision showed Terry running and dodging around his friends, and throwing the ball through the hoop. You'd never know he had an artificial leg or that he'd had both hands re-attached after that terrible accident.

DR ROBERT LOVE: Terry's doing very well. Terry already has a near-complete return of sensation in the actual palms of both hands.

TARA BROWN: And with his fingers?

DR ROBERT LOVE: Towards the tip of the fingers, he's returning the sensation there so that, again, he can determine hot from cold, sharp from dull and the light touch is again returning there.

TARA BROWN: Twice a week he meets with occupational therapist Angela Chew.

ANGELA CHEW: For Terry, we try to look at his everyday life, so things like going to school, just participating at home, being able to eat, being able to dress himself, and now we're getting down to the nitty gritty like his shoelaces and his buttons, the more difficult fine tasks that he needs to be able to do. He's done well, but it's taken a lot of patience and hard work on his part.

The vision showed him tying his shoelaces and doing up a button.

TARA BROWN: When Terry first came out of surgery, unsure he'd ever be able to use his hands or walk again, his family set him a challenge — to be the ring bearer at his uncle's wedding. Four weeks ago, Trung and Bin married and Terry was there doing his part and despite the effort, making it look easy. But that's Terry Vo's style, hard work hidden behind lots of smiles.

Should people feel sorry for you?

TERRY VO: Ah, they don't have to if they don't want to, but people should care for other people. But I made this progress and I made it back to the normal life.

One scene that impressed me showed Terry doing push-ups, his splinted hands supporting his weight!

The scars on his arms are awful, but some are starting to fade.

He's a very impressive little boy.

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Next

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby