ouch!

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Postby Didi » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:16 am

Eventhough I only get to read it now (bit late :oops: ), thanks for the update, good to see how this kid is doing :)
Didi
Ringbearer

Postby Maewyn » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:58 pm

Young Terry has been in the news a bit lately. Last month he received a bravery award (given to children who have acted above and beyond what is normally expected of a child). Another child that received this award ran through thick scrub at night to raise the alarm to get help for her injured father.

Terry also appeared at half time at the 4-Nations Basketball Tournament last week, showing the audience how well he can put the ball through the hoop. Amazing.

Maewyn :)
Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:46 pm

Thank you for keeping us updated, Maewyn. :)

Evenstar_of_Imladris
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Postby Didi » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:20 am

Hey eve you have many posts now :shock:
And your new banner looks pretty :D :wink:
Didi
Ringbearer

Postby Maewyn » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:18 am

For anyone interested in the progress of the little boy who suffered this terrible accident two years ago, here's an update that was in our local newspaper today.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,22854653-2761,00.html
Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Texas-hobbit » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:17 pm

Thank you, Maewyn, for this update! :) I don't know what is more incredible: what the medical community can do these days or the incredible spunk of this young man.

But he was told there was only a 30 per cent chance of his son's foot surviving, and only after more surgery involving muscle and skin grafting from another part of his body.

Mr Vo said he put this to his son, who opted for amputation.

Now, that is amazing, that one so young could make that choice.

Just for your information, I used a prior article you posted about Terry as reading material for my two groups of fourth graders when we studied expository text. (I rewrote it to make its reading level and content appropriate for ten-year olds.) I will do the same with this one and am happy to see the great photo included (what a smile on that kid!). The majority of my older students are boys, also "sports mad", so their interest will be immediate. And it doesn't hurt for them to read about someone close to their age who has overcome great challenges.

Thanks again for sharing this! :hug:
Texas-hobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby Maewyn » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:18 am

Hi Tex!

I don't know what is more incredible: what the medical community can do these days or the incredible spunk of this young man.

Both!

I know I'd fall apart if something like that happened to me (or one of my family)!

What a great thing you have done to pass this on to your students! It will show them that no matter how bad they may feel with their cuts and bruises, even someone around their age can cope with extremely serious injuries with a positive outlook.
Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Texas-hobbit » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:18 pm

I know I'd fall apart if something like that happened to me (or one of my family)!

I get lightheaded just thinking about it. :(

For the students, I am careful about minimizing the gruesome details and wouldn't use it with groups if I thought it would be upsetting to them. There is a difference, somehow, between saying "a boy who lost his hands and foot" and "the gutter cut off his hands and feet", for example. However, you are right. Kids need to read about everyday courage. :)

Though we must study all genre, generally, it's the non-fiction selections that capture the interest of most of my students. We just finished an article about the well known motorcycle-riding New Zealand cat, "Rastus", (we use many of New Zealand's Ready to Read series and their School Journals) which included the addendum about the cat's death, along with his owner, Max. They were quite moved by that.
Texas-hobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby Maewyn » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:33 am

There was an update on Terry Vo's progress on Australia's Sixty Minutes program last night, so I've dug up this old thread to report on his progress.

Terry is now 14 years old and he's amazing! Nothing will stop him from trying anything new. Not bad for a boy who lost both hands and had them re-attached (as well as the loss of a foot that has been replaced by a prosthesis).

I've added a link to the video story (it's long - almost 12 minutes, but it's worth watching).
Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby The,real,Maeglin » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:08 pm

Now that is true dedication,especially by Terry, but also by you Maewyn to remember this thread and report in it. :)

Watching the video right now.

Thanks for sharing Maewyn.
The,real,Maeglin
Ringbearer

Postby Maewyn » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:44 am

:) As soon as I saw that this story was going to be on Sixty Minutes, I remembered this thread. It took a bit of searching, but I finally found it!

Thanks for sharing Maewyn.

You're welcome!

I wish Terry all the very best in life and hope that his dreams come true - he certainly deserves it.
Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Maewyn » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:16 pm

It's been a long time since I've posted here! I noticed an article in today's paper on Terrry Vo. He's now seventeen years old and has just been accepted at Curtin University where he will study to become a doctor. He's come a long way since the terrible accident that amputated both of his hands and one foot when he was 10 years old. His drive and optimism has never diminished. Good luck for the future, Terry!

Here is a link to the paper's website: http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/terry-vo-finds-strength-to-heal-others/story-e6frg15c-1226288121318
Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:08 am

That's awesome! Thank you for continuing to keep us updated, Maewyn, 7 years down the road. What an inspiring story. :)
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

Re: ouch!

Postby Maewyn » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:28 am

It's been a long time... :)

Terry Vo, the boy who lost both of his hands and a foot eleven years ago is now a young man - and a second-year medical student. His goal is to become a surgeon and to help people the way they helped him. It's an amazing story.

I have a link to a news item with video of him viewing an operation being performed by the surgeon who saved his hands.

(Sorry - it's been so long since I've been here that I've forgotten how to embed links. :roll: 8) ) So if you'd like to see the update, please cut and paste... https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/ ... ent/#page1
Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Previous

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby