Walk to Rivendell And Beyond Continues!

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Postby Emerlute » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:33 am

had 13 miles this week, including the power-walks and a 5-hr dance event yesterday (English Country Dancing). Knees can't take a hike today, will start again tomorrow with the power-walking. Cheers all~~
Emerlute
Shield Bearer

Postby Frelga » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:56 am

* Channels Willie Nelson *

On the road again
Going places that I've never been
Seeing things that I may never see again
I can't wait to get on the road again

As I have extensively whined on the board about, I was sidetracked for near three months last year by a stupid allergic reaction on my feet, of all things. That certainly made me appreciate being able to walk, and living in a place where walking is easy and convenient, and year round.

I have reached the woods of Lothloriel, crossed the rope bridge and am about to camp for the night.

424 miles since Rivendell, 882 miles total

:hihi: Lute! 5 hours of dancing should be workout enough for anyone!
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: Walk to Rivendell And Beyond Continues!

Postby *yona* » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:47 pm

Well, here I am, at the West Gate of Moria. 349.63 mi out of Rivendell, and Gandalf has just exclaimed:
'I have no memory of this place at all! ' said Gandalf, standing uncertainly under the arch. He held up his staff in the hope of finding some marks or inscription that might help his choice; but nothing of the kind was to be seen. `I am too weary to decide,' he said, shaking his head. `And I expect that you are all as weary as I am, or wearier. We had better halt here for what is left of the night. You know what I mean! In here it is ever dark; but outside the late Moon is riding westward and the middle-night has passed.'
It says I've walked 807.63 miles.
So, looks like I've got 114.37 miles to reach Caras Galadon.

Good job with all the walking, Walkers! Even though this thread is looking pretty inactive, keep walking in real life!
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby *yona* » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:27 pm

Hey, hey! I'm 431.22 out of Rivendell now! At 889 total miles from Bag End.
So Nimrodel's Rope Bridge has bitten the dust. I'm getting closer to Lothlorien, the splendid home of the lady Galadriel, and heart of her Golden Wood. Soon, my lady, soon!
Exciting stuff! :)
I notice things are pretty quiet here, but I trust at some point someone will move me up, and I'll be a whole milepost ahead of where I've spent the last.... how many months? Time slips by so quietly, I often fail to hear it's cat-footed steps. (Actually, it's been two mileposts now... I've been past the Gates of Moria for some time... since Dec '12! :P )
Hope you all are doing well, and inching forward by small amounts. It's the long haul that separates the men from the boys, wheat from the chafe, true Rangers from scurvy men of Bree!
Forth, Walkers!! :horse:
Have a great fall, and winter too!
Yona
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby *yona* » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:54 pm

Hello, hello!! Anybody home??

*Ducks dusty cobwebs swaying through the air.*
*Cough!*

Did you know that we get the word cobweb from the old English word "cob", for spider. And this is what Bilbo is referring to when he calls the spiders of Mirkwood "Attercop, Attercop...!" A derivation of that same word!
I love the little linguistic nuggets in Tolkien's work! :lol:

Anyway, is anybody around anymore? I'm now at 437.08 out of Rivendell, and am about to climb the hill of Cerin Amroth in the company of elves. Pretty neat!
In about 20 more miles I will be in the lovely shades of Caras Galadon. :rofl:
Very exciting stuff!!

But, no one has moved me up! On the 1st-page chart, I'm still stuck back at ol' Hollin Ridge! :(
Please, somebody help.
Isn't there a mod I can contact to get me moved up to my true distance?
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby melanippos » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:17 am

I'm on the list of the dead as "Asfaloths_daughter" But I've dragged myself out from under the pile of corpses, dusted myself off, ensured I have a clean handkerchief and have started out again, this time with a stout walking stick and waterproof cloak.
I jogged 5.5km today and am weighing up whether or not to unearth what I had already done or assume I've respawned at the front door of Baggend. Which I think is the better thing to do.
I'm also following Éowyn's Challenge on Ravelry (which is basically the same thing) and combining it with my Zombies!Run regime to have three different directional motivations helping me chase that end of the road. Is anyone else hereabout to join the walking party?
melanippos
Petitioner to the Council

Postby *yona* » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:36 am

Hello Melanippos; oh, Asfaloth's_daughter-that-was! Welcome back to the Road!!! :wink:

Excellent idea about the clean pocket handkerchief... I'm afraid mine has become quite sadly stained on the journey, but if you're at all in the region of Bag End then making sure you have a new one is a fantastic idea. :)

I've not seen any activity on this page for a long while now... and the mods seem to have vanished into thin air.
So you think the spiders of Mirkwood might have got them wrapped in sticky silk and hung upside down in trees? :shock:

But I'll have to add up my current mileage and see where I should be located, even if the power to move my name on the route is out of commission at the moment. :cry2:

Keep me apprised of your journey!!! It's always more fun with company as Bilbo well knows. :wink:

Fare thee well wherever you fare!
Elizabeth
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby White Shadow » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:44 am

*yona* wrote:Hello Melanippos; oh, Asfaloth's_daughter-that-was! Welcome back to the Road!!! :wink:

Excellent idea about the clean pocket handkerchief... I'm afraid mine has become quite sadly stained on the journey, but if you're at all in the region of Bag End then making sure you have a new one is a fantastic idea. :)

I've not seen any activity on this page for a long while now... and the mods seem to have vanished into thin air.
So you think the spiders of Mirkwood might have got them wrapped in sticky silk and hung upside down in trees? :shock:

But I'll have to add up my current mileage and see where I should be located, even if the power to move my name on the route is out of commission at the moment. :cry2:

Keep me apprised of your journey!!! It's always more fun with company as Bilbo well knows. :wink:

Fare thee well wherever you fare!
Elizabeth

I'm a Mod, so if you'd like me to update anything, let me know. I'm really the only Mod about a lot at the moment, so feel free to send me an email directly using the wee envelope underneath my name. :)

Welcome back, Asfaloth's_daughter. Sorry, Melanippos. :)

~*~*~*~*~*~
White Shadow
White Council Moderator
White Shadow
Shield Bearer

Postby melanippos » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:13 pm

When I get a bit further along the road and to a worthwhile milestone I shall give you a shout. Thank you!
melanippos

Postby *yona* » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:50 pm

Hey! Okay, looks like Fregla and I are both at Nimrodel Rope Bridge...

I'm going to have to get back onto the road more often now that the mileage actually counts toward movement again!!! :horse:

Thanks, White Shadow!!! :)
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby White Shadow » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:05 am

*yona* wrote:Hey! Okay, looks like Fregla and I are both at Nimrodel Rope Bridge...

I'm going to have to get back onto the road more often now that the mileage actually counts toward movement again!!! :horse:

Thanks, White Shadow!!! :)

I've updated yours and Frelga's positions in the first post. :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
White Shadow
White Council Moderator
White Shadow
Shield Bearer

Postby *yona* » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:09 am

Thanks so much, White Shadow!!! I went out and walked a .7 miles yesterday, and hope to get another as soon as this current blizzard permits, in order to soon be in Caras Galadon!!! :)

Also, since Melanippos is starting again, could we put her at Bag End? :) Then she'd be on the Walk officially at least! :)

Thanks a lot!!!
Stay warm in this storm!!!
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby White Shadow » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:42 am

*yona* wrote: Also, since Melanippos is starting again, could we put her at Bag End? :) Then she'd be on the Walk officially at least! :)

Thanks a lot!!!
Stay warm in this storm!!!

Done. :)

You too!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
White Shadow
White Council Moderator
White Shadow
Shield Bearer

Postby melanippos » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:57 am

Fifteen clicks along the road, Going to hopefully do a full 5km run tomorrow.
It's just beginning to ease out of summer over here - more likely to get heatstroke than hypothermia :) Stay rugged up o'er there in the Northern Hemisphere!
melanippos

Postby *yona* » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:21 am

Good job, Mel!!! :wink:
And yes, sounds like you've got nice weather your way... though too hot cam be hard to get walking in, too. :)

I've reached 459.47 from Rivendell, so I'm just now reaching the north side of Caras Galadan. According to the book the stars are out... but in real life... Ai-aiaii!!! It feels like Redhorn Pass out there... with snow up to my knees in drifts! Took the dogs and they can mostly walk on top of the hardened snow, but I have a sad tendency of crashing disappointingly through! Grrr...

Well, I'm off to brave the winter again... sun is shining and it looks nice out. And on the good side the wind has gone away so we're only left with the snow.
Boy, it's a work out though! Raise a sweat pretty quick out there!!! ;)

Only three more miles to Lothlorien!!! :horse:

And then I get to "stay in Lothlorian until February 16th."
Okay, sounds good to me!!! ;)
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby *yona* » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:53 am

Got it, got it, GOT IT!!!!! :)

I'm at Caras Galadon, .....finally!!!

White Shadow, can you please move me up, please? Thanks a million!!! :)

After slogging through knee high drifts to get those last two miles, I feel like curling up by a fire... (do they have fires in Lothlorien? Hopefully in winter they do!!!)
So, now I think I will take a small rest and wait for the snow to settle down out there before I start back on the road in earnest again. :)
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby White Shadow » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:53 am

*yona* wrote:Got it, got it, GOT IT!!!!! :)

I'm at Caras Galadon, .....finally!!!

White Shadow, can you please move me up, please? Thanks a million!!! :)

Done. :)

~*~*~*~*~*~
White Shadow
White Council Moderator
White Shadow
Shield Bearer

Postby *yona* » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:24 pm

Hooray!!!
Thanks, White Shadow! :)
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby *yona* » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:00 pm

Am now 4 miles out of Caras Galadon, and the first check point is 10 miles in before "anything happens" on the list, so I guess it's just a lot of trudging until we reach the Silverlode! ;)
Then we get to practice paddling... ;)
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby *yona* » Sun May 22, 2016 8:47 pm

I'm at 10.2 out from Lothlorien, so that means I get to "practice paddling" in the little elven boats! Whoohoo! :)
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Previous

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby