Walk to Rivendell And Beyond Continues!

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Walk to Rivendell And Beyond Continues!

Postby WalkToRivendell » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:16 pm

The following is copied from Shaal's original opening post here, and from Emerlute's first post here:

TORC Walkers who have reached Rivendell!!!
------------------------------------------
shadowcat, Emerlute, Rowanberry, Nandiel, Shaal, Dazzling_Moonlight, Calaquendii, Niggleleaf, Amrunelen, Nienna99, Katarina, ConMan, Kambo, Rosie_the_hobbit, LalaithUrwen, Carnimiriel, Kementari-Harimad-sol, Anorial, Aranis, Starshadow, *E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*, AlexSnitzel, Yona, MrsSmeagol, Frelga

TORC Walkers who have reached Mt. Doom!!!
shadowcat, Anorial, Aranis

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Welcome, All, to the Road to Rivendell and Beyond!
In March 2003, Shaal introduced us to this exercise challenge. It was initiated by a group of Tolkien fans over at WeightWatchers.com who then sent letters out to various Tolkien websites encouraging other fans to join them in the Rivendell challenge. This led to the creation of The Shieldmaidens' website which we use as well as this forum--but the challenge is not restricted to women!

The object is to increase your health and wellness by covering the same distance as the Hobbits en route to Rivendell. You can walk, hike, jog, swim, roller-blade, bike, whatever your favourite self-powered mode of transport--but it's not virtual, you're really in it to get your heart pumping and your body moving. Declaring milestones you haven't really reached will only stand in the way of your own weight goals. This isn't about speed, or even distance really, it's about applying The Professor's wonderful creation to the benefit of our own good health and lifestyles.

We started down this Road on March 24th (significant date!), 2003. Some of us have already reached Rivendell, and found the Road to be so beneficial that we're carrying on across Middle Earth to follow-up destinations. We're now strung along from Hobbiton to Mt. Doom (and heading back!), from the great East Road itself to various game trails in the wilds, so there's a place for you, too, if you're just starting out!

It's 458 MILES from Hobbiton to Rivendell!
Modified from Jax's and Shaal's foundation posts:

Keep a log and record your daily or weekly miles and the type of exercise. Many of us have found pedometers a great tool. Otherwise, you can estimate your distance at 1 mile for every 20 minutes of brisk walking on a flat surface. Obviously most of us can't dedicate all day every day to the challenge like the Hobbits, since we have to work our exercise schedule around family and work tasks. Still, if you are looking for impetus to drop weight or increase your overall health, this is a terrific location, with milestone celebrations and maps to chart your way for great motivation. Our reference book is The Atlas of Middle-Earth by Karen W. Fonstad; p. 157 gives the date, hours traveled, mileage, where they ended, and even mph!! Copy the map from The Professor's book or better, from a Middle-Earth atlas, and mark your progress along their trail. To make your goal a physical reality, having a daily visual reminder of your progress and goals can be that extra push you need to get you out of the door! Don't think about the entire 458 miles at once. Just think about making it to Buckleberry Ferry, and then Bree, etc. Frodo and Sam's first campsite is 18 miles from Bag End!

======================================================================

Recently, the Tolkien Estate required the closure of all personal websites which featured maps of Middle Earth. These maps were good motivators, when you could print one out and put a pin or dot on the map to mark your progress. One fellow in the UK even had maps with elevation lines where it was great fun to imagine yourself going up and down the slopes in the Misty Mountains, or toughing it out across the long plains between Weathertop and The Last Bridge. There's at least one generic large-scale map which is tough to chart on, but it's here.

Alternatively, though you can't print it to mark your progress, there's a neat interactive map here.
To make the visualization easier, here are milestones for your journey, based on Fonstad's Atlas of Middle Earth, and provided by the Shieldmaidens.

For a specific description of your location, enter your current mileage here.

Here's another motivator. Have you reached a 25-mile milestone? Celebrate your achievement by adding a shield to the reward page at the main "Walk to Rivendell" site. If you want to be part of the shield page, follow this link and sign up once--it's easy!

If you are interested in buying a Walk to Rivendell t-shirt or other merchandise please e-mail Emerlute ('Lute) for details at tolute@hotmail.com.

=====================================================================
TORC'S FELLOWSHIP OF THE ROAD (If you've been inactive for over 6 months, your name may appear in italics. If you're gone from The Road for a year, you'll be listed among the Fallen)

Serya Mi Seere: Those Who Have Fallen to Orcs and Other Dread Foes (like time constraints):
Lain, Eirien, Silverscribe, RangerABN, Dima, Alys, Vana, Saroneuroe, Leoba and friend, Rholarowyn, satch, grumpy-dwarf-mom, Shelrond, Kaimelar, Waiting For Frodo, eyes4legolas, Galadriel, verruct~madchen, Shieldmaiden_Pippin, Newra, Elven*Warrior, Inwe-Taralom, FairElvenArcher, nimrodel_89, cemthinae, indril_greenleaf, Evenstar_of_Imladris, Eruname127, fantasy_fanatic24, Aramel, Kayre, Newra, Elven*Warrior, MariaHobbit, Chameleon, Muad-Dib, littlerabbit, Damalur-sol, Waiting For Frodo, Shieldmaiden_Pippin, cemthinae, Evenstar_of_Imladris, frodos_cousin, XXIluvatarXX, frodolivesstill, Northerner, Cemenamme, Leithelas, Honeyelf, Jnyusa, Elenath (designer of our t-shirt!), Ithiliel, Lidau, Dazzling_Moonlight, Rosie_the_hobbit, LalaithUrwen, Amrunelen, theduffster, Myrtle_Greenhand, Carnimiriel, TheE.I.Cebu, legolas_is_mineOB, Suenote, Asfaloths_daughter, Calaquendii, Kementári_Harimad-sol, Liana_Lemonflower, Pippin4242, Shaal, The Gypsy Scribe, Damaris & Glorfindel-fan, Nandiel, Nienna99, Niggleleaf, Katarina, ConMan, Kambo, evenstar1, Starshadow, *E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*, Aranis

Bag End
==================
Lady Lalaith, A Simple Poet, Blackcrayon, Melanippos

On the Road
==================
Elven-Ranger, Dubatuluk, Klonkku, Elflover, laureanna, SilverScribe, Tigerlily_Took, earendil81, Swordsman_Of_The_Tower, ArwenElrondiel

Crickhollow (73 miles)
==================
Erufailon.Atanvarno

Tom Bombadil's house (98 miles)
========================

Bree (135 miles)
==================
Ivriniel, Canamarth, MithLuin

Midgewater Marshes (173 miles)
================
Vanaladiel

Weathertop (240 miles)
========

Last Bridge (358 miles)
==================
eamane_helyanwe

Stone Trolls (393 miles)
=================

Rivendell! (458 miles)
==================
MrsSmeagol

Wild Country Path (525 miles)
==================

Misty Mountain Foothills (615 miles)
=========================
Mrs.Haldir

Hollin Ridge (690 miles)
==================
AlexSnitzel

The West Door of Moria (795 miles)
=============================

Nimrodel Rope Bridge (863 miles)
=============================
Frelga

Caras Galadon! (920 miles)
========================
LalaithUrwen, Yona

North Undeep (1065 miles)
=======================

Higher Emyn Muil (1236 miles)
==========================

The Argonath (1290 miles)
==================

Choose Your Path! From here you can follow the separate routes of the divided Fellowship (still under construction, sorry!)
================================================

The Ring-bearers' Route, Being the paths taken by Frodo and Sam, and accompanied by Smeagol for some days and ways:

Falls at Rauros! (1309 miles) , The Dead Marshes (1421 miles), The Black Gate (1475 miles), Henneth Annun (1533 miles), Shelob's Lair (1600 miles), The Fires of Mt. Doom (1781 miles MD+), Back at the Morannon (1881 miles), the Field of Cormallen (1949 miles), Minas Tirith (2001 miles), Cross the Mering Stream to Rohan (2225 miles)

Edoras (2361 miles)
==============
Shadowcat

Helm's Deep (2480 miles)

Isengard (2536 miles)
================
IsildursHeir

Hollin Ridge (3059 miles), Rivendell (3227 miles), Stone Trolls (3292 miles), Last Bridge (3306 miles), Weathertop (3431 miles), Midgewater Marshes (3466 miles), Bree (3546 miles), Brandywine Bridge (3586 miles), Bag End! (3631 miles), Grey Havens & the end of the Fellowship (3891 miles)
==================

Back to Bag End with Sam (4098 miles)
==============
Anorial

The Paths of the Three Hunters, Being the routes covered by Aragorn II before coming to his throne, in accompaniment of his friends Gimli, Son of Gloin, and Legolas, Green Elf and a Prince of Mirkwood, in their progress from the Falls of Rauros at Parth Galen to Orthanc Tower then on to Gondor:

Falls at Rauros! (1309 miles) , Where Pippin's Brooch Lay (1339 miles), Where The Hunters Met the Rohirrim (1444 miles), Fangorn Forest (1475.5 miles) , Golden Hall of Meduseld (1604 miles), Helm's Deep (1723 miles)
==================

Orthanc Tower (1779 miles) OT+ , Return to Helm's Deep (1839 miles), Return to Edoras (1958 miles), The Dark Door to The Paths of the Dead (1980 miles), The Stone of Erech (2037 miles), The Dawnless Day (2147 miles)
==================

Pelargir (2412 miles)
======
Emerlute

Pelennor Fields (2562 miles)
==================

The Cross-roads (2598 miles)
============
Rowanberry

The Desolation of the Morannon (2671 miles), The Battle of Morannon (2703 miles)

The Ways of the Halfling Champions, Being the peregrinations of Meriadoc Brandybuck and Peregrin Took, in conjunction with the Last War of the Ents, and their terms of Service to the Men's Kingdoms of Rohan and Gondor:

Falls at Rauros! (1309 miles), Where Pippin's Brooch was Dropped (1366 miles), Fangorn Forest (1475.5 miles), Wellinghall, Treebeard's Home (1579 miles), Isengard (1664 miles)
==================
Last edited by WalkToRivendell on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 71 times in total.
WalkToRivendell
Petitioner to the Council

Postby rowanberry » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:25 pm

All right, let's continue the walk here. I'll check everybody's whereabouts from the old thread during this weekend, and do all the necessary updates.

But, I'd actually like to share the Walk ID with a couple of other walkers, just for sure; I have no intention to disappear without saying anything, but you'll never know, stuff happens... So, I think Lute could be one to share it, because she means to come back as soon as her issues are over. But, I'd like to have one or two more backups. Anybody interested?
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Ivriniel » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:40 pm

Well, I'm just past Bree, if that makes things easier. :)

Ivriniel
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Anorial » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:14 am

Wow, welcome to the new home! :grouphug: Thank you Rowanberry for your efforts moving it all over!

Rowanberry, I'm at 2204.5 miles &
194.5 miles out of Minas Tirith on my way to Isengard (I'm doing Sam's journey and also doing bonus miles) &
just passed "The peak above Calenhad rises to the left – still streaked with snow." :) Always a bit of a challenge to locate someone on their journey if you haven't done that route yet. At least I find it so....I still don't have a visual of where you are :lol:.

I'd be happy to be a backup. I'm one of the old-er timers (there are those been walking longer :) ) so you know I'm responsible and I'll be around. No disappearing Baggins Birthdayness from me!

We've had rain, rain, rain, periods of rain, rain at times heavy, showers with times of rain etc. ....so bad that the entire area of 3 million people (?) was put on a boil water advisory. It's been partially lifted but not in my area :(. We've started getting excited about the merely "showery" days :lol:. I've still been walking every day though except the big storm day. All the crappy weather puts me more in the story though which is nice :D .

I hope y'all have good walks!
Hugs, Anorial

PS Rowanberry, Aranis is at 2295 miles at last check. She doesn't post on the milestones page very often but she's still moving! And she's ahead of me :shock:
Anorial
Rider of the Mark

Postby Elflover » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:57 pm

Hello! I've seen this thread (actually the older one) for years, but I don't think I've ever posted here. I used to be very physically active and at one point I was riding a bicycle about 2-3 hours a day. :shock: For the last few years, though, I haven't gotten much exercise. :(

My weight has been gradually creeping up, just a pound every few months or so, but I don't want to continue ignoring this. I have a family history of diabetes and heart problems and I want to keep myself in good shape.

I have sporatically walked a 0.5 mile track at a nearby park, and I want to make a commitment to doing that more often now. If I start walking 1.5 miles 2-3 times a week, that would be a good start toward healthy exercise habits. I won't get to Rivendell any too fast ;), but I will start checking in regularly. :)
Elflover
Ranger of the North

Postby Anorial » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:41 pm

Welcome to the Road, Elflover!
Anorial
Rider of the Mark

Postby Vanaladiel » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:24 pm

:clap: Hey there everyone!! Nice new digs here!

Yeah I will be slow getting started again but hope to get back into things around the first of the year. As soon as I can comfortably ride a bike again, I will be back on track. I do plan on doing walking as well as getting back into the weight and resistance training again too. :D I am actually getting excited about getting to get back into working out. :D
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rowanberry » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:51 pm

That's great news, Vana! :clap: Take your time - but, it will be a day of joy when you can get on the road again!

Welcome to the journey, Elflover! :) It's nice to get new people to join!

Anorial, thanks for offering to be one of my backups. :) Please e-mail me to ariane5 at luukku dot com, and I'll send you the password for the Walk ID. Just put something about TORC or this walk in the subject - I get a lot of spam to that address, and tend to delete right away everything that isn't clearly relevant.

I believe that I've got everybody's location updated, but will still check if I've missed someone, and I'll have to think of some new landmarks for all of the different paths.

Myself, I've finally moved forward again; I took the exercise bike because of a lousy weather, and got myself to OT+358.6. Ten miles to go to the next camp and the Dawnless Day.
rowanberry

Postby *yona* » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:31 pm

Oh my goodness! I turn around, and look what happens! Different thread, and everybodys posting, it's great!

Thanks, Rowanberry, for shouldering the 'leadership' of the thread, and getting things all straight. Much appreciation from all of us, and three cheers!

Well, Anorial, I'd say your region certainly isn't having drought problems, and that's for certain! You must be nearly flooded. Good job keeping going through the rain, I think I'd become discouraged fast.

Vana! So good to hear from you again, and it's such good news, too! That is fantastic! Slow getting started is... actually it's great! We are glad just to have you back with us! Don't over-do it speedwise, and you'll be up to par in a short-short. Good to see your smiling face again.

Hello, Hello, Elflover! Glad to meet you, and happy mileage!

Anyway, I really have to keep a close eye on this place... tsk, tsk... :)
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby Dubatuluk » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:53 pm

I've always wondered what this thread was about and never checked in. Very very cool.

I'd like to join if it's not too much trouble. I've only lost about ten pounds of my pregnancy weight, and trying to remember to do yoga every day is really frustrating. M'love and myself live out in the country though, and doing the miles shouldn't be too dificult. *knocks on wood* hehe...anyway. Hi.
Dubatuluk
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:32 pm

Welcome Dubatuluk and Elflover!! :clap:

Nice to see new faces to the thread that are friendly faces from the boards elsewhere. :hug:

Thanks *yona* I am glad to be able to see the end to the tunnel and the starting of my getting back into moving in exercise. :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby eamane_helyanwe » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:36 pm

I made it to Bree before I had to take a break for studies. I'll definately get back on track, though, while I'm in London in Jan. I always do lots of walking there.

Eámanë
eamane_helyanwe
Shield Bearer

Postby MrsSmeagol » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:21 pm

I'd love to join in, too. How do we start?

Since July 2005 I have lost most of the 40lb I needed to lose - by interval training and walk/running 2.5 miles per day. But since the summer, I've lost motivation and I'm sure I've regained a few lbs although I daren't weigh myself! Could I start from now on? Would be a great motivator!
MrsSmeagol
Shield Bearer

Postby Ivriniel » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:45 pm

MrsSmeagol wrote:I'd love to join in, too. How do we start?

You just did. :)
Go to some of the links in the first post. They'll give you the tools you need. Oh, and if oyu don't have one, go out and get yourself a pedometer. I got one with a built in security alarm for under $30. It's not that I feel unsafe in my neighbourhood, it's just that a girl can never be too careful. :/

Ivriniel
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Klonkku » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:16 am

Wow - this is one of the best ideas I have ever seen, and I would definetely like to apply. :)

I excersize approximately two hours 4-5 times a week ( acrobatics ), but my christmas-vacation is starting, so I can change that to walking. :)

I might even buy a 'step-calculator' of sorts.

As such, I will apply to this challenge!
Klonkku
Ringbearer

Postby rowanberry » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:24 am

Welcome Dubs, MrsSmeagol, and Klonkku! 8) Hope you'll find this challenge as great a motivator as I do! :horse:

So, just hit the road, and post your progress here.

Eamane, you've been moved to Bree. :)
rowanberry

Postby MrsSmeagol » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:13 pm

Aw thanks for making me fell welcome!

First 2 days and I've done about 7 miles, all in all. Apparently, I can just about see Hobbiton, when I look back... :) I've been joined in my journey by my trusty little staffordshire bull terrier, aka 'Fatty'. (Not very PC, I know).

Hopefully, will get some more miles under my belt over the weekend, although I'm at a living history thing tomorrow and by the time we finish, it'll be dark (OK, where did I put that pedometer...?)

How's everyone else? :)
MrsSmeagol
Shield Bearer

Postby Dubatuluk » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:42 pm

So far I've done half a mile. :P but I'll get better, really. It's a quarter of a mile to my mailbox and back... :P anyway, I'll really get more milage under my belt here before Christmas.
Dubatuluk
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:22 pm

MrsSmeagol and Dubs, that's the beginning... 8)

Myself, I got on the bike again today, and am now at OT+371.0. It's the Dawnless Day (very accurate for the season) and I've just passed the village of Calembel.
rowanberry

Postby Anorial » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:35 pm

Hi all! Congrats to those starting out and to those reaching and reaching for their goals! It's really good to see so many eager faces :).

I just thought I'd pop in and say hey. I've entered Rohan!! I'm pretty excited. My walking has going very well. We're (a million of us) still on a boil water advisory from all the rain we had but today we had SNOW! Very cool. Well, literally but also because we don't often get snow. I did over 6.5 miles in it walking around the lake....it was very beautiful. And cold and wet :lol:

Anyway, until next time!

Anorial
2246.3 miles

PS Rowanberry, I moved myself forward :).
Anorial
Rider of the Mark

Postby Vanaladiel » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:07 pm

Anorial we got snow yesterday as well. I hope that it doesnt impede your progress.

Welcome to all the new members and good luck! I should be back exercising after the holidays when I can get out of this cast and actually spend some time working out.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Dubatuluk » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:48 pm

Well, being sick now, I'm not doing too many miles. I even took off of work so I can get better. And drat! I was going to get a pedometer when I was there. *slaps face* oh well. I'll report back when I can actually get out and exercise.
Dubatuluk
Ranger of the North

Postby MrsSmeagol » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:39 am

Just over 40 miles. I saw the Black Riders for the first time last week! Have been busy doing 15thC Living History all weekend, but still got a couple of miles in. Ill today, though. Must be the time of year as everyone's rough!

How's everyone doing?
MrsSmeagol
Shield Bearer

Postby Klonkku » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:36 am

I have been walking... About 15 miles now ( and going ). :)
Klonkku
Ringbearer

Postby MrsSmeagol » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:09 am

Upto 55 miles, walking. And I got a question for you.

I have an exercise (stationary) bike with a non functioning milometer, so no idea how 'far' I'm going on it. Anyone got some ballpark figures for miles, an average size person, using moderate effort for, say half an hour? :) I'd like to count my exercise bike miles in, but I haven't a clue how far I'm 'going' and I can't find any info online!
MrsSmeagol
Shield Bearer

Postby Ivriniel » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:22 pm

It would depend on the speed you are pedalling at, and the amount of resistance the bike is set up with....I really don't know, sorry. :(

I haven't made much progress since Bree (I'm just entering the Chetwood). Between stuff at school being insanely busy, getting sick, and then getting sick again, I haven't done much walking. If I can get myself organized enough, I am going to do some walking this afternoon though.

Ivriniel
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Anorial » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:58 pm

MrsSmeagol, some people use however long they would take to walk a mile and count that same amount of biking time as a mile. So if someone took 20 minutes to walk a mile, they'd take 20 minutes of biking as a mile. Others gauge on effort: they know how much effort it takes them to walk a mile, so they gauge that same effort for their biking time. Some people count mile for mile but I've noticed that they tend to drop out later (my theory is they are more interested in racking up the miles instead of the journey so when racking them up loses its charm, they get bored and drop out). For me personally, I've decided that only miles that are Anorial-powered such as walking, running and swimming count. The important thing for everyone is the getting fit part so pick what supports that the best for you :-).

Vana, the snow confused most of an entire city (where the heck do you park your car!?!?!?) but much to most people's relief, it's gone :-).

I hope you are feeling better soon Dubtuluk!

Good job Klonkku, MrsSmeagol, Ivriniel and anyone I missed!

Ivriniel, don't be too hard on yourself...the mileage really piles up in time and it's about staying on the journey over the monthes, not necessarily every single day. I hope you are feeling better now!

Rowan-b, how are you doing?

Lute, if you're reading at all, I'm thinking of you!! I could hear you answering MrsSmeagol's question :-).

I hope everyone isn't too crazy with the impending holidays. Myself, the holidays are fine. I went orienteering today and learned just how out of shape I am....ended up being dragged up and down hills :D but I really feel like I achieved a good workout. Going to sleep like a baby tonight! :zzz:

Happy December everyone!
Anorial

PS Still looking at Edoras in the first couple weeks of January.
Anorial
Rider of the Mark

Postby MrsSmeagol » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:43 am

Thanks Anorial. That makes sense, so that's how I'll do it! I'm thinking ahead to when I get to the river journey - would help to bike it!

Will count in my other exercise, then. Although walking is the main one at the moment. :)

Well done everyone! It's a great challenge, and it helps me to think I'm not alone on the road.

Keep walking, Fellowship!
MrsSmeagol
Shield Bearer

Postby rowanberry » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:32 pm

I've got a bit further again, now at OT+377.8. The last couple of weeks, and especially weekends, I've been quite caught up so, there hasn't been much walking/biking. :(

MrsS, I count all the miles I do by exercise bike, and don't find anything wrong with that; after all, it's more strenuous than walking, at least on the speed and resistance that I use. My average speed is about 12-13 mph, which keeps my heart rate in the optimal area between 110 and 130.

But, converting time to miles according to your average walking speed works quite well, too.

Hope everybody who's been sick will recover quickly! :hug:

Happy trails, fellow walkers! :)
rowanberry

Postby *yona* » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:22 pm

Hello to everyone! Congratulations and warm welcome to everyone who is new-ish, and plain congratulations all around for everyone who isn't. 2006 is slipping out, nearly gone already, and a whole new year is chugging down the track. I hope that it brings a continuation of good things to all Walkers, and any changes that come along are for the better.
And that things go great for Vana as she starts into being able to exercise again! I imagine it will take a little working-in time, but I hope that goes super smoothly, and you're back to rolling along.:wink:
Finished up the last miles needed for my currant total of 241 miles, which puts me at... Weathertop! I made it! :horse:
Now, to recuperate. :roll:
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Next

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby