Walk to Rivendell And Beyond Continues!

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Postby LalaithUrwen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:12 pm

Keep going, Frelga!

15.9 miles since my last post, and that puts me 45.25 miles out from Caras Galadon. We camped in the woods in the dreariness and cold and left early to continue on our way. There are bare trees on both sides of the river, and we are drifting along. No enemies to be seen.

It sure is tricky to get all of this walking done in a boat, though.
LalaithUrwen
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:24 am

Well, it's been a while.

I haven't actually walked much lately, but the cross country skiing that I did this winter, brought me to MT+66.9 miles. Still marching across Ithilien towards the Black Gate.
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby AlexSnitzel » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:50 am

Hi Walk to Rivendell friends! I have no idea where on (Middle) earth I am, walking or otherwise, ;) but I wanted to stop in and say hello! Hope everyone is treking safely and happily!
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby ArwenElrondiel » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:07 pm

I just started walking last week for fitness, doing .5 miles a day. I have Chronic Fatigue so I don't go very far or very fast, but it's a start. So far I've gone 3 miles.
ArwenElrondiel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Calma » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:25 am

Keep at it, ArwenElrondiel.
Everyone starts out small.
It's the way to do it.
I only do a mile a day on a treadmill
But then I'm on my feet all day at work, too. :D

Welcome to TORC and I love your username.
Image My Very First LOL

Funny Animal Month in the TVM!! :D

Join the funWith The TVM

ImageCAT LOVERS GUILD :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!

Let's hope for a better result next year

SOUNDERS!!!

:rose: Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby heliona » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:35 am

Since I've started going to the gym, I thought I'd poke my head in here and see what it was all about. :) I can't say how far I've already gone, but it's probably about 32.5 miles. Wow - that's a lot more than I realised!

Anyway :hihi: everyone. :)
Image<-- Cute Border Collie puppy for Cute animal month in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby AlexSnitzel » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:37 am

My first post on TORC was in this thread. :-)

Welcome to the road Heliona and ArwenElrondiel!

Once Bag End gets behind you, it's all downhill !! I SWEAR!!! :D
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:00 am

Thanks, Alex. Well, I did another 5.6 miles today, so I'm now at 39.1 miles.

You have walked 39.1 miles.
You have passed Black Rider Stopping Place.
It is 6.9 miles to the next landmark.
You have 418.9 miles to reach Rivendell.

The other two ran quickly to the left and down into a little hollow not far from the road. There they lay flat. Frodo hesitated for a second: curiosity or some other feeling was struggling with his desire to hide. The sound of hoofs drew nearer. Just in time he threw himself down in a patch of long grass behind a tree that overshadowed the road. Then he lifted his head and peered cautiously above one of the great roots.

Since tomorrow I'll not do any more (that's generally what I do during a workout) I won't make the next landmark until next week. *sigh* :D
heliona

Postby AlexSnitzel » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:42 am

Heliona, ooooh, I'm glad you made it by the Black Riders safely! Those guys are scary!

I have no idea where I am on the road. No idea at all. :cry2: I stopped keeping track. This thread helped me though, I started walking to Rivendell in a period of my life where I lost about 70 lbs or so. Total chubber. Passing Tolkien landmarks really helped motivate me! Dangle a carrot in front of a geek and he'll do anything, I guess. :wink:
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:58 am

Wow, Alex, that's really impressive. Well done. :thumbsup:

I'm not normally an exercise person, but the gym that I've joined has got personal trainers who give you a workout, which is good because it means that you know what you've got to do and how long for etc. There are goals for each workout, which makes it a lot easier for me. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that I've been 8 times now (I'm going again today, in fact just after I've had an orange juice :)). I'm not normally that committed, but I know from past experience that if I stick to it, I'll see results eventually. (I used to be in the rowing club at university, and we had a gruelling 1 hour of circuit training every week. I hated it at first, but it did gradually get easier and I did trim down.)

I missed the Black Riders entirely. :D Passing them happened before I joined this thread. :lol:

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby AlexSnitzel » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:32 am

oh good!!! :rofl: Glad you got to start with them safely behind you. But chances are you might meet up with them again... see that cool craggy looking outcrop in the distance? Weeeeeeathertop. :shock: :) Don't stay there too long. :)

Nice! Yeah I have a hard time getting to the gym unless I have an appointment to meet someone. I will stand myself up anytime but I find it harder to stand someone else up. :rofl:
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby ArwenElrondiel » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:24 am

I have another mile to add. woohoo!!!

Hey Alex, there's at least one Black Rider still in these parts. I had to hide from him this morning.
ArwenElrondiel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby heliona » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:02 am

Well, I'm at 44.7 miles now and that will be it for the week, as I'm going on holiday. I will hopefully get some walking in (depending on the weather - the forecast isn't good) but I doubt it'll be walking that will actually do any good. More of a stroll instead. :D

heliona

Postby AlexSnitzel » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:14 am

Alright ArwenE!!! A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step (or 1 mile). Keep it up hun!! :thumbsup:

Heliona... enjoy your holiday. :)

:hihi: to the Walkers!
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby ArwenElrondiel » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:47 am

AlexSnitzel wrote:Alright ArwenE!!! A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step (or 1 mile). Keep it up hun!! :thumbsup:

I think I'll focus on the next half mile. The thought of 1000 miles does me in. Image
ArwenElrondiel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby AlexSnitzel » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:50 am

Tell us a little about yourself ArwenE!! :)

(I walked from the water fountain to my desk, can I add 20 feet to my count? ;) )
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby ArwenElrondiel » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:09 pm

You had to get to the water fountain, don't forget to add that, and multiple by the number of trips a day. And don't forget to add getting to and from your desk and to anywhere else you walk during the day. It all adds up!

I used to have to go to the far end of the building to pick up anything I'd printed, we're talking 200 feet each way. Most days that meant 5 or 6 trips. I started wearing a pedometer and discovered that one day each week I'd walk nearly a mile just to the printer and back.
ArwenElrondiel
Citizen of Imladris

Postby rowanberry » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:19 am

Welcome on the road, ArwenCat! :) I'll see that you get added to the list of participants in the opening post.

I've managed to move forward, too. My current location is MT+89.3, which means I'm still marching across Ithilien.
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry

Postby Frelga » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:04 pm

How's the road treating everyone?

I made it out of Moria. Miss Gandalf something fierce.

393 miles from Rivendell, 851 total, and less than 70 to Lorien. :happydance:
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby rowanberry » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:11 pm

Maybe it's time for an update, I haven't been totally lazy during the summer. :D

At the moment, I'm approaching the Desolation of Morannon at MT+104.8.

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

rowanberry

Postby heliona » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:27 pm

Yes, I've been bad and haven't updated in a while. I'd better go and work out how much I've done.

Well, I think I'm about here:

You have walked 69.7 miles.
You have passed Buckleberry Ferry.
It is 3.3 miles to the next landmark.
You have 388.3 miles to reach Rivendell.

They turned down the Ferry lane, which was straight and well-kept and edged with large white-washed stones. In a hundred yards or so it brought them to the river-bank, where there was a broad wooden landing-stage. A large flat ferry-boat was moored beside it. The white bollards near the water's edge glimmered in the light of two lamps on high posts. Behind them the mists in the flat fields were now above the hedges; but the water before them was dark, with only a few curling wisps like steam among the reeds by the bank. There seemed to be less fog on the further side.
heliona

Postby *yona* » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi there!
Boy, do I feel like a stranger! Not to the Road, though that isn't coming along as fast I would like it, but the computer tells me that the last time I posted here was in 2010.
Ouch.
:oops:

Well, here I am again. :|

And, I have good news! Anorial, as requested: I am now past the Redhorn Pass! I mean, like today I added up my mileage and viola!
I'm at 297 miles out of Rivendell, and that means that I have braved the icey blasts of Redhorn Pass, turned around and came back down. (Which I have to say was a very sensible decision. I hate icey blasts and deep drifts.) Hopefully the foothills are a warmer place to be.
Oh, and the Crebain just got here. Hateful little birds. Shoo!

Ah, well, it'll be off to the Silvertine coming up next.
Now that the heat of summer is gone, (And it was a HOT summer! Anybody else? Whew! I couldn't wait for September to get here so I could breath again!) Anyway, since it's cooled off, walking starts looking like a whole lot perkier of an option!

Anyway, I mustn't take so long to get back to post here next time.
And Anorial, here's to glass clinking! :drink: "Redhorn Pass! Whoo-hooo!"

And welcome to all the new walkers! Nice going!
Rowanberry! So nice to see you here. That Black Gate must look awfully menacing, as you inch your way across that desolate wastland streatching out from it... Creepers!
And Frelga! Glad to see you're here too! Nice mileage! I hate to be a pest... but did you ever submit that story? (I really, really liked it, you know!)

Okay, gotta go...
Happy walking everyone!
:horse: :horse:
Yona
*yona*
Shield Bearer

Postby MithLuin » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:39 pm

Well, I was at 150 miles at the end of July 2009. Unfortunately, I haven't kept up with walking since then, so I've merely done some hikes and intermittent stuff.

Hmm, at least it was mostly walking up mountains ;).

July 2010 I did another 10 miles in NYC, walking over the Brooklyn Bridge to Ground Zero.
Aug. 2010 I did some trails in the Great Smokies. 5.1 miles up Mt. LeConte, 2 mi. up Chimney Rock and some miscellaneous other shorter walks. So, that's at least 15 miles there.

My church even has a hiking club, so I went on a couple of walks with them in the state parks near here. Maybe another 7 miles over the winter, then.
Another hike in NY state this July - maybe 4 miles.
And I walked out to Cuatros Vientos airfield in Madrid for the Papal mass, so, guessing that's about 10 km out and 4 back so about 9 miles (though I walked a lot more than that in Madrid! Make it 10.) It's hard to keep track of mileage when you measure your walking in blocks.
And back to the Smokys in Oct., so Chimeny Rock (again) and Clingman's Dome add another 5 miles.
And my roommate's been training for a 5K, so I walked with her a couple of times. Maybe give me...4 miles.

Not a very impressive tally here! Still, every little bit counts. I'm at 205 miles, say.
So, through the Midgewater Marshes and on my way towards Weathertop!
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Nienna99 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:11 pm

Hello!

I'm an old walker here who hasn't kept track in years! If I wanted to continue my walk in Middle Earth, is there a way for me to find out where I left off? I know I made it past Rivendell, but I have no idea where I am after that! I'm glad to see this thread is still active. :)

Nienna99
Rider of the Mark

Postby Emerlute » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:04 am

Happy New Year to all--and is anyone still around?? I left this Road more than 2 years ago due to health issues, but more than ever now need to get back on. I left the Road at Pelennor Fields because of radiation treatment and meds stealing my energy. I've been koing no more than 20 miles a month since then (used to do that in a week!). Have to be realistic, but need to get back to the challenge for my health. Is anyone still around here?
Emerlute
Shield Bearer

Postby rowanberry » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:53 am

Hi Lute! It's been a while! :)

Some of us are still inching along, and a few new people have joined us, but we don't post so much anymore.

And hey, 20 miles a month is a lot more than what I've done since I started doing most of my exercise on dance classes, which I don't even try to convert to miles.

rowanberry

Postby Emerlute » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:28 am

Berry-Sister!! :hug: I've missed you! so happy to see you!!

I lost 3 years' worth of walking tallies because I was saving them on a diskette, and in 2010, a co-worker dumped some fridge magnets on my desk--duh!! So I have only tiny amounts in 2010, 2011, and yesterday on file. Hiked a 3-mile trail in high winds and grim clouds, which meant I had the trail to myself at least. First trail-hike since August, and it was hard but good! :D Will tally miles, sending up the missing 3 years into the ether, and figure out where I am. Still following Aragorn's path, so we'll see how far from the foot of the Tiered City I've managed. Need to lose 20 lbs this year, the new goal.
Emerlute
Shield Bearer

Postby Emerlute » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:56 am

only 3.5 miles this week after Sunday's hike, power-walks on lunchbreaks, so a total of 6.5 miles this week. Still 20 lbs to go. (Haven't had time to tally the grand mileage, likely won't get to that til next week, very full weekend planned). Cheers and healthy knees to all~~
Emerlute
Shield Bearer

Postby Emerlute » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:15 am

5 miles only this week. Still haven't had time to sit with the Atlas and figure out where I am, though. So much for 'Not all who wander are lost' :wink:
Emerlute
Shield Bearer

Postby Emerlute » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:06 am

had 6 miles in power-walking this week, but have to miss my Sunday a.m. hike. Am preserving an officer's coat from the War of 1812, and the museum photographer needs it tomorrow for the publicity shots so my weekend is locked down on getting it to the point it can be safely displayed on the mannequin. Too bad, because it's a foggy grim morning, the kind where the only things on the trail are me and the deer, just the way I like it! *phooeyface*
Emerlute
Shield Bearer

PreviousNext

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby