Drieske's and Canamarth's Fashion Tips - We also do Chitchat

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Postby Morwenna » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:41 pm

It's raining like gangbusters out there. I got pretty soggy coming home. Now I'm in green sweat pants, a long-sleeved multicolored (mainly dark red) striped shirt--and fleece slippers. :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:01 am

The sun has come out just now over here - after drizzle on my way to lunch (of course... :roll: ). Wearing black trousers and a blue linnen blouse which is laced at the front. It's quite open so I always have to wear a nice vest underneath.

I managed to frame the embroidery but I haven't found a good place to hang the picture yet ...
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Silwen » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:26 pm

I hope there will be pictures of the embroidery. :D

It is getting very cold here in the mornings and nights, though usually the afternoons are relatively warm or at least mild. It is one of those in-between things again and I have to be very careful not to catch a cold. I am not being particularly successful so far, I must admit. :roll: It is time for me to knit something to keep my neck warm, especially at work and at home.

Since I am knitting my first jumper right now, I should soon be cozily warm. I have to sew the back and the front together and add the sleeves, then it's ready for wearing and will hopefully fit too. :D
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Canamarth » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:38 am

I have worn a scarf for the first time this year today! It is indeed getting autumnal. It's just a light one, transparent black with black floral embroidery so far. Goes along with black trousers and a grey blouse with large floral pattern bought a long time ago at H&Ms from their organic cotton line. Also wore a black velvet jacket this morning which I expect to carry home under my arms in a few minutes. Time to go home soon. :)
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Silwen » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:50 pm

Yes, it is very autumnal by now. This morning I realised for the first time that the trees outside the house are actually quite brown already. Well, some of the are. I am glad I just finished knitting my thick woollen jumper (I need to make alterations soon, but it will keep me very warm).

I have contemplated wearing gloves in the morning. :shock:
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Canamarth » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:33 pm

It's not glove-weather yet!

It's very late and I should get to bed as I'm getting pretty cold in my grey blouse (same as yesterday) here at home at night. No, I refuse to talk about turning on the heating ... Time for warm, snuggly bed!
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Canamarth » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:13 am

And did I go to bed immediately after the post? Well, yes, but did I go to sleep - no! Just hadto finish Pratchett's Unseen Academicals, hadn't I? Now I've been yawning all day ...

Anyway, meeting up with old colleagues today so I dressed up in newish black blouse with pretty white & green embroidery. I'll see if I can find a picture ...

Edit - here we are:

Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Silwen » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:09 pm

This weekend I finally wanted to buy some winter clothes as well as more shoes for work. Instead, I came back with a German hoover and English kettle. :P How disappointing that there are really no good clothes or shoes out there at the moment. That's not happened before! I did see some nice greay trousers that were made of a slightly thicker material, but they were too tight only at the top of my legs. :( I also found some nice black shoes, but they weren't covering all of my foot, so that would not have been any use in winter either. I guess I will just have to wait till the proper winter collection comes out.

I must admit I am extremely happy with the hoover and kettle though!
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:50 pm

How disappointing that there are really no good clothes or shoes out there at the moment.

Not enough sequins? :wink:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Silwen » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:58 am

Sequins????????!!!!!!!
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Canamarth » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:01 am

Silwen isn't a wizard, you know. ;)

Good that you found a good hoover replacement and a new kettle. Isn't it always like that when you go shopping and are looking for something fairly specific? You definitely don't find what you're looking for but have still lots less money in your pockets than before. :roll:

In black trousers and red blouse with colourful floral embroidery down the front. And I've bought a new dress (the blue variety below) cause I got a ¤20 voucher that needed to be be redeemed before the end of the month - the dress cost a bit more, of course, but I still got it cheaper, so that's fine by me. :)

Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:35 am

Boy do I need new shoes. And new pants, since I'm down to 2 pairs and pretty soon it'll be too cold for me to want to keep wearing this skirt. So far we've had a chill spell which warmed up again when the rains came. Now it's partly sunny but still humid so after a week of wearing a jacket every day I left it home today.

Still that skirt today, with the white shirt with blue embroidery.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:26 am

I also left my jacket in the car this morning. Temperatures have picked up again and are projected to even rise a bit further to about 25°C. I think I'm changing into a skirt tomorrow. :)
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:28 am

A gentle voice told me to come over and post this here. Thank you Canamarth. Also for keeping this thread alive and kicking! :)

Yesterday I was wearing a red dress with white polka dots. And though I don't wear it often - my favorite clothes are black - this red dress gives me a feeling of freedom. Of daring to stand out. Of summer. Thanks for making me feel good. A bit silly but good!
Step by step one travels far ~ in honour of J.R.R. TOLKIEN

Enjoy endearing photos, videos & thoughts in Cuteness

Chitchat with us in Drieske's and Canamarth's Fashion Tips. We know nothing about fashion, but it is fun!

drieske
Mariner

Postby rwhen » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:11 am

*glomps on Drieske*

I know that gentle voice wasn't me...I am a loud mouth.:D

Grand to see you post and you know we miss you.

:hug:
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Yes Ayslhyn, I do still remember.

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby drieske » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:16 am

LOL Rwhen :D still in the habit of glomping on folks? Being hugged and glomped feels absolutely fabulous! :hug: knuffels

Chitchat with us in Drieske's and Canamarth's Fashion Tips. We know nothing about fashion, but it is fun!

drieske
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:03 am

Drieske, you're another one who favors black clothes? :hug: I usually save them up for weekends, especially when we go to science fiction conventions; but it's a fact that I have more black clothes than anything else. I save all the colorful stuff for work.

Today I'm wearing my one green shirt (you know how hard it is to find plain no-modifier green these last few years??); it has appliqued fuzzy black leaves on the front, with veins made of little blue and gold studs. And it's the one really long-sleeved one of the decorated shirts I mentioned for the first time several posts back. Once the weather stays cold, I'll be wearing a lot of turtlenecks and long-sleeved tees; there are several printed ones and a few stripes, and there are some solid ones which I wear with brooches (necklaces or pendants just get in the way). By then it'll be pants time. I'm getting the most wear out of my favorite skirt that I can.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:10 am

drieske wrote:LOL Rwhen :D still in the habit of glomping on folks? Being hugged and glomped feels absolutely fabulous! :hug: knuffels

I will never tire of glomping on my dear ol' friend. :D

I wear the same thing everyday with little variation. Jeans, white tennies and a top of some sort...some times a pull over, some times a button up. Depends on the season. :P Boring dresser, but it is comfortable and working with family at this small company there isn't a dress code for me. It is all about the comfort. Besides I look GOOD in jeans. :P
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Yes Ayslhyn, I do still remember.

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Morwenna » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:13 am

Jeans are the big no-no where I work, even though our department sees almost no patients (except for at the request window for copies of charts, and there are only a few people who tend the window). But usually I'd rather wear ordinary casual slacks anyway, which can be dressed up or down, and I like skirts in the summer. I discovered I still have one pair of jeans that still fits (barely!), which I wore to the fair last weekend. Oh, and no sneakers either; but I'm a fan of rubber-soled loafers anyway. Every time people get together to b**ch about the dress code, I smile to myself because it really doesn't affect me.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby drieske » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:39 am

Yup Morwenna, always have and always will! :)

This year I'm wearing dresses a lot, I love the feminine feeling. But always with black boots or comfortable shoes. No high heels for me. So yes a dress, but still no lady hihi. In winter I simply wear a long-sleeved black shirt underneath. Or jeans, like my hearts friend Rwhen here. I'm sure you look gorgeous in jeans! :love: ;)

No dress code at work, or at least none that I will follow. One day a skirt, the next Harley clothing. Variation is what I love, they never know what to expect =:)

Today (had a day off) a black dress with tiny leafs, roses and lavender flowers. And bare feet. The last breath of summer has chased autumn a bit further away.

drieske
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:48 am

I love the sound of your dress! :) I have very few dresses; I have a hard time finding styles I like. The ones I like best are the ones I see in catalogs or online, but I never get around to ordering from catalogs or online.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby drieske » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:27 am

You should really give it a try Morwenna. Since I don't like shopping, online ordering is a great alternative. I simply order two sizes and return the one that doesn't fit. And the shipping costs are equal to the costs of parking my car in town.

I like this dress for example. Or this one.

drieske
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:38 am

Love the red polka dot dress you talked about, drieske! Wish I could get one here as well. :D I would wear it soooo often. Today I wore my blue summer dress for the second time in a row because it is so hot. And tomorrow it is meant to be even hotter! :shock:

Good to see you here again, btw. :)
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:04 pm

Thanks Silwen, it's good to be back.

Isn't the weather amazing at the moment? All summer mostly rain, and now - in fall - the sun has woken up! :D

Do you have a picture of the blue dress? :)

drieske
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:18 pm

I did take one this summer, but it looked so awful on me I deleted it. :P :rofl: :oops:
There is a pic of it herethough, without anyone in it. I love it and it is very comfy, but the neckline is very low when I am sitting down. I had to sew it closed a little, but even so it is still too low. Today I wore it with a bulky, long necklace that hid the little bit of my bra you would normally see. :whistle:
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:01 am

That is very pretty, but being a bra-with-straps-wearer who refuses to let straps show (unlike the more recent fashions), I wouldn't wear a dress with no straps or string-straps (we used to call them "spaghetti straps"). I can still admire them though. :)

I'm reminded of our niece's wedding a couple years ago (3 already?); she had 4 attendants and she let them choose their own dresses with the only requirement being that they all had the same color. I suspect they got white dresses and had them dyed to match. They were all very simple styles, two were ankle-length and two were tea-length, three had string-straps and one of the tea-length dresses had ordinary shoulders of a sleeveless dress and a simple scoop neck. Now that last one I lusted after! I'd wear a dress like that in a shot (if I weren't so concerned about the "love-handles" in front of my underarms)! And the color was gorgeous! It was somewhere between a crimson and a light burgundy. Beautiful.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:17 am

I know what you mean about straps that aren't suitable for bra-wearing girls. Luckily, this dress from my last post does cover the straps. :D Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to wear it at all. Usually I can't find a nice dress with thin straps like that because my bras don't go with them one way or another. I am glad I gave this one a try and put it on to check instead of just leaving it on the rail.

Right now there are so many nice dresses in the sale and I am tempted to buy at least one. But then again I won't get the chance to wear them before next summer, really, so I don't think I will go for it. :(
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:19 am

That is a very nice dress Silwen, I can imagine you love to wear it. People won't even notice any bra-straps peeping out. Good thinking with the necklace ;)
Buying summer dresses on sale is good! Just try one. That way you'll have a nice surprise when the sun starts shining again :)

LOL so you get rid of 'slightly less flattering' pictures too? :angel: I love the digital camera haha.

I don't really care if those straps show Morwenna. If possible I hide them - especially during formal occasions - but last summer I was wearing tank tops during our holidays where they were visible.
What is 'tea-length'? Those wedding dresses sound fabulous.

drieske
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:08 am

Tea-tength is a little longer than knee-length, I believe. Anyway, it's what they usually call "dressy" dresses that are shorter than ankle length. I don't know the precise definition, but people around me understand. Presumably it's the length one would wear to a tea. It's gotten popular for daytime events as opposed to long dresses, which are formal any way you look at it; and formal around here usually presupposes an evening event, with the notable exception of weddings. Weddings have become a category all their own. :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby drieske » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:36 am

Thanks for the explanation. So tea length in daytime and ankle length at formal evening events. Got it!

Today I was wearing a medium length jeans ('till the knee) and black blouse with short sleeves, since it is still quite warm in Holland. Thursday autumn will arrive in full colours. And full wetness.

drieske
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby