Drieske's and Canamarth's Fashion Tips - We also do Chitchat

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Postby Silwen » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:53 am

Argh, now I spent the money for a possible sale dress on something kitting related instead. :lol: Oops.

Tea-length was also a new term for me. Now we know. :bookworm:
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:55 am

Kitting Precious? :shock:

Kitten? Kiting? Kitchen? ;)
Step by step one travels far ~ in honour of J.R.R. TOLKIEN

Enjoy endearing photos, videos & thoughts in Cuteness

Chitchat with us in Drieske's and Canamarth's Fashion Tips. We know nothing about fashion, but it is fun!

drieske
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:00 am

Erm, knitting, of course. :oops:
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Canamarth » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:04 am

Always assume knitting when Silwen is around. ;)

Great to see you've made it over here, drieske. :hug: I tend to keep offline during weekends - and we had a holiday (Reunification Day) yesterday. I got to capitalise on the good weather a lot. BBQ two times in a row and a cruise with an oldtimer cabriolet ... Or, in more specific terms: sitting on a very old tractor, re-filling a water drum for the cows. I am a Sunday sunshine farmer. :D

Wearing tea-length (thanks for that) dark blue light linnen skirt and a white blouse. No tights as it was already very sunny and warm when I left my house on the mountain. When I arrived in the valley, of course, it was still filled with fog and drizzle, giving me cold feet. :roll: But the sun has finally managed to break through here as well. :)

We also don't really have a dress code at work - unless I have to go out to press conferences, events etc. Then I need to look smart but that's nothing I see as a chore.

My wardrobe used to be all black as well, Morwenna. When I started working, I've added all these colourful bits and pieces.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:33 am

*looks around for threads of wool and follows them to Silwen* Ah there you are! ;)

Thanks for the tip Canamarth, seems I was out of practise :hug: It is nice to come to TORC again.

Is riding a tractor fun? They seem so mighty and strong. Which they are of course. That's the whole point right? :roll: Playing with water and eating grilled food mmm. Sounds like a nice and tasty weekend.

You always look smart C :whistle:

Started out with a denim skirt and a green long sleeved shirt, but now adding layers: temperature is dropping below 20C. Autumn draws near! Hide yourself. Go and hibernate! Dressed in a fluffy pyjama and wearing a knitted cap. Silwen, we need your help with that! :D

Chitchat with us in Drieske's and Canamarth's Fashion Tips. We know nothing about fashion, but it is fun!

drieske
Mariner

Postby Canamarth » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:32 am

drieske wrote: You always look smart C :whistle:

I blame it on the glasses. ;)

On Sunday I was only riding shotgun (on the seat above one of the wheels), but I've driven a tractor before. The old ones can be rather tricky in terms of gear shifting but once you've got the hang of that - it's like driving a bike, well car, really - without the need for streets, though. :D I'm not allowed to drive the huge horse power strutting new ones as you need an extra license for the heavy machinery.

Keep your cold in the West!
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:00 am

Does Z threaten you with a shotgun to climb into the seat? ;) Evil! =:) LOL I can see you on that tractor, driving off road where and whenever you can :D

*pulls the cold around her to prevent it from travelling to the East* Hmm does that mean I added another layer?

drieske
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:27 am

Tractors remind me of my father; he had two in succession, just for our suburban-size yard. He built them both himself. I think the second one was mainly recycled from the first one. He had a big vegetable garden, and the tractor made life a lot easier in the spring. But that's all the use they ever got: spring plowing for the veggies. I never rode on either of them; they were rather small, not really big enough for a passenger, even child-size, and I don't think my father thought it safe. Then, much later, when I was in college and no longer around to mow the lawn (and we had a smaller yard and no more veggie garden, thus no more tractor), he bought himself a riding mower. I never rode that either; if I was home I used the old walking rotary. Mom sometimes mowed, but she had only one good arm and had trouble steering it. She never rode the riding mower either!

Long sleeve weather now, till next spring. :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:43 pm

I need to buy more dresses and perhaps some skirts. For some reason I don't like skirts though I like dresses a lot. Very weird.

*quickly knits some woollen hats for everyone*

Ta-da! :D Easy-peasy.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:56 pm

I need to get back into knitting...
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:50 pm

Well, what do you know! I just came across my favourite and latest dress online even though it wasn't there when I actually bought it this summer. Here it is. :D It looks much better on.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:40 pm

Oh, that's cute! I bet it does look good on. Basic style, basic flattering neckline, dressy material.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:52 pm

Actually, I was wearing it today, along with black leggings, caramel coloured ankle boots and a nice necklace. Then I went out for lunch and discovered just how billowy that dress is when there's a strong wind. :shock: Good thing I was wearing leggings!
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:53 pm

Awesome dress Silwen, I was 'OOOOOW'ing out loud here.

Good luck on the knitting experience. I'm definitely NOT going into that. The needles will fly through the air without a ticket :lol:

Today a grey dress is on the menu. With a black shirt underneath. I have a picture of it somewhere... ah well. Temperature is dropping now, so my coat is into action again.

Tomorrow I'll be working at home, so my clothes will be very simple. And very comfortable :D

Morwenna, your father must have had much fun with the tractors and mower, right? Thank you for sharing that, it made me smile.

drieske
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:59 am

Today: the ubiquitous black skirt, with my One Green Shirt (actually, there's another, but that's a printed turtleneck): the crewneck long-sleeved one with the appliqued leaves.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby drieske » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:06 am

Your One Green Shirt must be very special :)

Today a black long cotton sweater with 'grand dad' neck (little buttons), plus a legging and fluffy warm Spanish slippers.

Will take a break from processing mails now before my eyes fall out :bookworm:

drieske
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:44 am

Today is Jeans for Genes day where everyone puts on jeans and gives £2 to charity. :D So here I am, in boot cut jeans and my new handknitted jumper! Actually, I also a picture. And one without me in it.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Canamarth » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:46 am

In the same blouse I wore on 21 September (yes, there's a picture there). And a black shirt underneath which has "Gondor has no King - Gondor needs no King" on the front and "Support the Stewards of Gondor" and a white tree on the back. :D Designed by Tolkien artist Anke Eißmann.

And it's indeed gotten quite cold over here as well. But at least the sun has come out for a while. :)

The dress is indeed gorgeous, Silwen. You'll have to wear it when you come over! And pullover came out great!

Building a tractor, Morwenna? Wow, that takes some skills!

I've got a small favour to ask as well. Not dress, but Tolkien related:

I am the VP of the German Tolkien Society and we stand to win 1,000 ¤ for our work - with your help, though:

Incredible but true: The German Tolkien Society can earn ¤1,000 ¤ with your help — for our non-profit work! You only have to register on the page below and vote for us, ideally with all your three votes. We need your support as the 75-year jubilee of The Hobbit is looming next year and we’re planning several ›out of the ordinary‹ projects – for which we do not only need our committed members and supporters but also a little money.

Vote now: https://verein.ing-diba.de/kultur/12487 ... lschaft-ev

And spread the word. Every vote counts!

ING-DiBa bank supports 1,000 not-for-profit organisations with ¤1,000.

If you follow the link just click on the orange button with »Stimme abgeben«. Then you need to fill in your e-mail adress and a security code. You’ll get a mail with a link that leads you back to the site on which you have to click on the orange button again to submit your vote. You can do this three times for three votes for the DTG.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:26 am

And voted, thrice! I do hope your Society earns the money Canamarth :) Great blouse (yes I searched for it :P ) and I'd love to see the black shirt too. No Anke Eißmann catalogue? ;)

Wow Silwen, now I can see why you like to knit. That's a nice jumper, the colour looks good on you! Thanks for posting the photos :hug:

Have a fantastic weekend! :hihi:

drieske
Mariner

Postby Canamarth » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:37 am

And a great weekend for you too, drieske and the rest of our fashionista.

Thanks for voting!

Well, you can order Anke's Sherlock shirts online:
http://anke.edoras-art.de/anke_sherlock.html#shirts ;)

I've got this one at home:

Last edited by Canamarth on Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Canamarth » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:41 am

Ooooh, Silwen, I've just stumbled over your brand new knitting project: :D

Last edited by Canamarth on Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:51 am

Don't we all love Pratchett :D

Thanks for the url Canamarth, I will check it out.

Tomorrow Vman and me are going out for dinner. And our friends told us we had to wear something fancy. Think I'll wear my long two-layered bronze/metallic under dress with transparent black over dress dress. Lots of dresses ;) Plus boots. Always boots. Except when not wearing boots.

Right, back to work!

drieske
Mariner

Postby Canamarth » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:50 am

*shooes drieske back to work*

Have fun at the dinner! And that dress sounds lovely!
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:07 am

Work is done for today. No more work mails. I will go nuts if I have to read one more whining plea for making an exception for lazy students! :bang:

Here is a picture of the dress, was wearing it last Christmas. Me is the little one of course ;)

drieske
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:04 am

DISCWORLD!! Actually, that's a crochet project. :)

Cute dress!

Green shirt: yeah, it is pretty special, since it's so hard to find a bright green that's not lime! And the leaves make it perfect for autumn. And especially because I couldn't find it last year!! :D

And Silwen, I really like that sweater. :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:36 pm

Thanks for all the compliments, everyone! :) The jumper is nice and warm so I definitely needed it today. I was cosy all day long.

Canamarth, that is indeed a crochet project instead of knitting so I am afraid I can't help with that. I do have an elephant pattern somewhere and a turtle pattern too so I could simply improvise with those. ;)

drieske has reawakened the Christmas spirit in me now! Woohoo!
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:40 pm

OK, if it's Christmas that moves you come on over to Guilds and check out the Christmas thread, and for that matter the Crafters' one. :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:31 am

I started to think about Christmas as well. Must be all the Christmas sweets you can get at the shops since the end of August already. :roll:

Crochet ... knitting ... all done with wool ... :P

I'll be cross-stitching NILS on a bib today and/or tomorrow to give to a friend who's just had his second baby.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Silwen » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:39 am

But before Christmas there is Halloween! I have never been to a Halloween party, so this year we are hoping to go to a Halloween Ball at the Roman Baths. We reserved tickets and I hope they are actually holding them till Monday. The party is on the 28th and I am thinking about a costume now. I am very excited!

And on a sidenote, I just bought two packets of Halloween-themed cakes. :whistle:
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Dubatuluk » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:44 pm

Hello!

Fashion...fashion..OH! I blew my budget this paycheck and spent way too much on clothes.

The shinging piece, I should get a picture of it later, is a teal sweater with a cowl neck and shorter sleeves. :love:

HALLOWEEN! I'm so not prepared for that...
Dubatuluk
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby