Drieske's and Canamarth's Fashion Tips - We also do Chitchat

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Postby Morwenna » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:44 am

I am. :P Got my decorations up last Monday.

Don't think I'm going to any parties this month, but you never know. It's early yet. Sort of. :roll:
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:51 am

shares Halloween cakes

I can just imagine the top, Dubs. :D I am loving the colour and cowl nexks are always good.

The most important piece of my vampire costume will be a corset - or so I hope because I am not sure I will find one in my size. :| Then I hope to find a red dress to go under it and I want to buy this wig and these contacts. Let's see how far I get with all this. :P
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Dubatuluk » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:06 pm

Oh I have decorations. My skull, Bob, has a new(ish) wig on for this year and he's sitting next to an heirloom pumpkin I bought at work. :D IT's the costume thing I'm not ready for (chiefly because then they'll be shoving Thanksgiving down our throats immediately after. And to double my pain with that, it's turkey time at the co-op, and I'm the meat section manager. *sigh* I hate turkey season...)

That's an interesting wig there...kind of a Fran Drescher gone wild wig. lol.
Dubatuluk
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:34 am

That's exactly what I thought about the wig, Dubatuluk. :D

The good thing about good corsets is that you can widen them no end, Silwen. I'll try and find a link to the one I bought which is flexible enough.
EDIT: Hm, not available from Amazon (that fine pruveyor of corsets ... :D) anymore, I'm afraid. No clue where it originally come from...

Did you get the tickets for the Ball, Silwen?

We'll do pumpkin decorations for the first time this year, inspired by Nick Castle's Nosferatu pumpkin in the Castle series.

Wearing my new dress (cf. 26 September) for the first time - and I'm loving it! :)
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:31 am

In our previous apartment I used to carve jack-o-lanterns, but there's not much point where we live now because we're on a main drag and we don't get any trick-or-treaters. In the old place, a side street, hubby used to set up on the porch with a covered table with treats in a cauldron on it, a huge goblet filled with eerie-colored drink with a bit of dry ice in it to make it foam, and huge borrowed candlesticks, and the boom box playing eerie or themed-classical music, and himself costumed and playing it up to the hilt. I like to think we were part of the inspiration for so many other families in the area doing it up in years since. Once we were remarkable; now it's a trend!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby drieske » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:00 am

Christmas spirit? :shock: Like Silwen said: Halloween? And what about Thanksgiving? And let's not forget our dear old Sinterklaas! ;) Only after that it is time for Christmas :P

Dubs :hihi: Teal sweater? PICS, we want pics :lol:

Wig and contacts are smashing Silwen, oooooow you will look great and amazing :D

Glad you liked wearing the new dress Canamarth, it is very nice.

Morwenna, where do you live? Here in Holland people don't celebrate Halloween.

This Saturday I have organised my first Dutchess Thanksgiving and my whole family will come over for drinks, a long and refreshing walk in the woods and then fooooooooood. Looking forward to that very much. I took Friday off to be able to prepare the Thanksgiving dinner :)

Today I'm wearing a long black Harley sweater with a hood, black leggings and boots. Plus a couple of silver rings.
Step by step one travels far ~ in honour of J.R.R. TOLKIEN

Enjoy endearing photos, videos & thoughts in Cuteness

Chitchat with us in Drieske's and Canamarth's Fashion Tips. We know nothing about fashion, but it is fun!

drieske
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:16 pm

I live in the good old U.S. of A. We celebrate anything that will stand still long enough! (Well, most of us, that is.) Common Halloween motifs: jack-o-lanterns carved from pumpkins, bats, ghosts, black cats, witches, skeletons, spiders, tombstones, and to a lesser extent owls and traditional movie monsters. Whistling winds and wolf howls are common sound effects, and much music in a minor key. All in good fun, mind you. But there are people who decry Halloween as evil (those of a very fundamentalist Protestant stripe, usually). And some people don't want to be bothered with the whole trick-or-treat thing.

As for Christmas, there's a thread over in Guilds... (No, I didn't start it!!)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:37 pm

Yes, we got the tickets! :D Well, at least the tool our money. :P So I guess some shopping is in order very soon to make sure I have everything on time. It's not long! I especially look forward to the contact lenses, I must say. I just hope they are comfortable.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Canamarth » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:50 am

I'm thinking about contacts for my next costume party ... (all in the very early planning stages still). I've had usual soft ones but am not sure how these special ones would be. Tell us all about it, Silwen.

Until a few years ago, Germany didn't really celebrate Halloween either. There were a few fancy dress parties here and there - but it's gotten more and more over the years now and you may get a trick or treater her and there. I hope I don't forget to prepare this year. Last time I had to give the kids apples - which they took without grumbling, though.

All the best for the Thanksgiving dinner, drieske! A friend of mine invites the whole village where she lives (and a few strays from further afield like me) to Thanksgiving once in a while. Her oven is the only one big enough to hold the turkeys they got from the American supermarket - which has now closed as the military has left the base in that particular town ... Maybe that's why we didn't get an invite this year ...

That sounds very cool, Morwenna. I'd have loved to fish for candy in your eerie candy cauldron!
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:40 am

There was a scare many years ago about foreign substances--needles and whatnot--in Halloween treats, which got everyone's back up so that even still, parents are warned to throw out anything the kids bring home that's not commercially wrapped. You can imagine how the people feel who would rather bake for the kids or give them fresh fruit. Some sources say there was never any danger, that it was a hoax, etc. But whether it was true or not, the damage has been done seemingly for all time. My suspicion, and I'm sure there are zillions who share it, is that somebody started the rumor (or did the deed) just so that trick-or-treating would disappear, if not Halloween altogether. Fat chance. :P Now the push is on to eliminate trick-or-treating in favor of organized parties at schools or community halls, to make it "safe" for the kids. Well, if the parents go with the kids, where's the harm? In places like my area, especially, where the block-party atmosphere prevails so much that people drive in from other parts of town! I suppose the next step will be buses! :roll: They can organize parties all they want, but going from house to house is a centuries-old tradition, for several different holidays if the folklorists are right. Why shouldn't it go on? That, if anything, will foster community feeling, very important in this day of crowded cities and anonymity and mobility and all that stuff.

End of rant. :P
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby drieske » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:43 am

Wished I could come over to taste the real Halloween Morwenna! It does sound magic. But what a terrible thing to do: spoiling the treats and/or spreading the rumours! Very nasty and sad. Grrr.

I do hope so too Silwen, or you will have no need for the contacts after an hour: your eyes will become red on their own ;)

Thanks for the encouragement Canamarth. There will be at least twelve hungry guests. And my oven is too small for an entire turkey so I'm thinking of alternatives. That is very nice of your friend, what a party! Sorry to hear about the escaped turkey-selling-military!

Chitchat with us in Drieske's and Canamarth's Fashion Tips. We know nothing about fashion, but it is fun!

drieske
Mariner

Postby Canamarth » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:33 am

Yeah, well now there are students' apartments in all the former US base buildings. I think that's a bit of a better use for them. ;)

Morwenna, I really sometimes wonder at these over-protective parents out there. Our local neighbourhood has not become any more dangerous than when I grew up there, and yet parents won't let their children leave the house without their mobiles - to be reachable at all times! -, drive them to the bus station and wait till the kids get on the bus (I'd have been so embarrassed with my mum hanging around all the time!), or drive them to school all the way, and stuff like that. I think you're right in saying that it certainly does not foster social interaction and fellowship amongst the kids, and thus causes quite a lot more problems than letting them go exploring on their own for a bit.

Started packing for my trip to Ring*Con (Fri-Sun). I'll be driving to Bonn tomorrow evening directly from work so that I need to put everything into the boot tonight. Really looking forward to meeting loads of Tolkien fans at Europe's largest fantasy convention. And I packed some fancy stuff for the Fantasy Ball on Friday night. :)
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:49 am

Ooo, Canamarth, sounds like loads of fun! :D

And don't get me off on the overprotective parents... :x
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:37 pm

Ditto about the parents. But I won't be able to do it better because I won't have any kids, thank you very much. :P That may be better for all concerned. :D

My colleague made me really angry today... She asked me to proofread something and then decided not to incorporate any of my corrections, as usual, because "I have always done it this way." :roll: Well, never mind that your lack of knowledge about punctuation and grammar don't do you any favour. No idea how to deal with this in the long run. I wonder if she's just not willing to change things because she thinks that I, as a foreigner, don't know as much about the English language as she does. :x

Oh, this is the fashion thread so I should sa something about clothes, right? :D I wore a beige and black dress with leggings and boots. It was unexpectly warm although it rained and was grey all day.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Canamarth » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:48 am

Thanks, Morwenna I'll be expecting quite a bit of fun over the weekend. Packed a mask with lots of feathers for the ball. And the aforementioned corset. :)

I'm all in black today, trousers and a simple long blouse that a friend gave to me because she didn't like the colour anymore. :roll:

Silwen, you're totally welcome on other topics as well. After all, we do do chitchat. ;)

Strange colleague! Why does she ask at all, I wonder, when she does not intend to take any suggestions? I recently had to struggle with a German expat in the UK who kept on correcting something I had corrected in his CV (for publication on our website). Yeah, you've been living in the UK for 10 years now, mate. But you're a lawyer with a secretary who does all the writing for you. I write for a living. In English. :roll:
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:24 am

People are giving away black blouses?? :shock: Where the heck was I??? :D

Masks are wasted on me. I wear glasses. Tried to get used to contacts years ago but didn't; never tried the newer ones. And somehow I really like seeing the world in detail... :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:36 am

Canamarth have a splendid time at the Fantasy Ball and the convention. You may have already left!! :D

On Halloween here I put some store bought candy in a plastic jack-o-lantern with a sign that says to "help yourself". Then turn off the lights inside and forget about it until I open the front door the next day. One time all the candy had been taken...but usually there is still about half left.

I have a feeling that most parents take their kids to actual neighborhoods rather than trick or treat at the apartment complex.

Drieske, how are you doing? All ready to start your cooking tomorrow.
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Yes Ayslhyn, I do still remember.

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Silwen » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:27 pm

I hope the Masked ball is going to be good! We wants pictures, precioussss!

This evening I managed to rub my eye and get chilli into it. :shock: Ow! Washing my hands obviously didn't do the trick.

I have ordered two corsets for my Halloween costume and hope that one of them fits and looks good on me. This is one of them, but I really like this version of it and hope I can keep it. :D
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:45 pm

HEY :lightening: I'm a parent! And very protective! :club:

Just kidding of course. My sons are now 20 and 17 and they can protect me better than the other way around ;) OVER-protective is never good, kids won't learn to be independent that way. But as parent, you just want the best for your kids. You have to let go. And that can be difficult.

Ring*Con - have a magical time dear Canamarth :hug: You will be charming in your dress.

Silwen, next time she wants you to proofread, simply say NO. And then explain why. Perhaps she will understand. If not, too bad. If she had good reasons for not changing a sentence, that would be OK, but your time is too precious for a useless task.

It is weekend! Friday off! :yippie: Have not started on the food yet Rwhen, but tomorrow this house will smell like a restaurant. My dad has had two operations to replace the lenses of both eyes. His sight has improved miraculously. He will be able to drive all the way up here on Saturday :D The man is 79 years old! And mom will bring a 'Limburgse vlaai', that's a special pie from our province. I'm still in doubt as to make apple or pear pie for dessert. Our first Thanksgiving :love:

Ah right, clothes ;) Wearing a white long sleeved shirt, grey cardigan, a short 'balloon' skirt and a black-and-grey striped legging. Boots.

Did you cut up a red pepper Silwen? Oh dear, that does hurt a lot!! Try holding the chilli pepper with a little plastic bag next time to prevent this. I know the feeling :angel:

:grouphug:

drieske
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:49 pm

Ah, thanks for the tip! I did wonder when it would happen to me. I cut chillies fairly regularly and was very lucky so far not to have had my fingers near my eyes before.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:01 pm

Silwen wrote:I have ordered two corsets for my Halloween costume and hope that one of them fits and looks good on me. This is one of them, but I really like this version of it and hope I can keep it. :D

*Whistle!!* I'm jealous!! :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby drieske » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:09 pm

Thanks Morwenna!! Almost forgot about Silwen's corsets :oops:

Silwen, those corsets are lovely! The first link is especially stunning. You will look gorgeous :D

drieske
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:29 am

They arrived today!!! :D Haven't been able to try them on though because I managed to twist my hip at work and decided to stay home for the rest of the day because I can barely move. Have not dared to try and put the corsets on yet because I don't want to stand up. :(
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby drieske » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:34 am

Poor you! Perhaps the corset will support your spine and lessen the hip pain? I do hope you can try them on real soon. Meaning I hope you'll feel better soon! :hug:

drieske
Mariner

Postby rwhen » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:16 am

Green pull over, Levi's and Keds. Nothing changes.

Drieske, good news on your father having the surgery and being able to drive. Have the BEST Thanksgiving ever...or for the first time. :D :hug:

Silwen, hope that your hip gets better really fast.

Canamarth, we are thinking of you having fun at the convention and dressing up for everyone!!

Have a great weekend to all.
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!oldtoby!Cock Robin(CR)!Prim!Calma! I will never ever forget you.

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Yes Ayslhyn, I do still remember.

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Morwenna » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:50 am

Ooo, good luck, Silwen. :rose:
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby drieske » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:33 am

Oh lol, again I forgot: black + denim cardigan, jeans skirt, new low black boots. They are getting acquainted with my feet at the moment.

Keds, what are keds precious Rwhen? Shoes? Boots? Slippers? Fancy high heels? ;)

My dad is delighted with his renewed eye sight. He is rediscovering the world and that is so very endearing :love:

Pumpkin soup is ready. Tomorrow I have to add yoghurt and cream, plus my favourite herb coriander. Weird recipe but so far so good. Also preparing the mashed taters and sauerkraut. As soon as there's room on the stove, I'll start on the ground beef. After that - later tonight - the turkey fillet (alas no breast available) and after that apple muffins.

My back is not agreeing with this all, but I'm making it obey.

Have a wonderful weekend :grouphug:

drieske
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:36 am

Thanks for the good wishes, all of you! :love: I will try and move as little as possible and let Mark do everything. :twisted:

The corsets don't fit! :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: But the tutu that came with one does. Will have to return it all and simply buy a new dress to make a different, less interesting costume. :( Had the corsets fit, they would have looked amazing. I could tell just from the little I was able to fit around me.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:50 am

Awwww, couldn't you get a bigger size?

U.S. Keds, Red Ball Jets, PF Flyers, the big 3 sneaker companies back when I was a kid, up through the '60s in this country. Keds lasted quite a while; about 20 years ago I had a pair of Keds slipons which were pseudo-suede, but had traditional sneaker soles. I wore them till I wore them out!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby drieske » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:32 pm

A, a white gymschoen! ;) Thanks for the picture, I know these - if not the brand.

Silwen, that must be such a disappointment. NOT nice! I'm so sorry :( bad BAD corsets! :club: I hope you will find a smashing stunning super dress in stead :hug:

Have made two sauerkraut oven dishes, baked fifteen apple muffins and made the turkey-shallot-garlic-mushroom-cranberry-pepper stew. Everything turned out fine :clap:

Still doubting over the 2,5 LITRE of yoghurt plus cream I should add to the pumpkin soup. Think that's overdone. Plus it won't fit in the pot. Will most certainly add the coriander though :D

And now we have to wait two more hours until I can drop Sean off at his school, at half past midnight, for his Rome trip. He's all set and ready to go. And I'm tired.

drieske
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby