Drieske's and Canamarth's Fashion Tips - We also do Chitchat

Just as Tolkien and the Inklings used to meet at The Bird and the Baby, come in here to converse about whatever might be on your mind. This is the place for all off-topic conversation.

Postby Canamarth » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:40 am

And - how did it all turn out, drieske? So glad to hear about your dad rediscovering the world. :)

Glasses and mask, yeah, Morwenna, it can be a challenge but the mask I wore actually leaves enough room underneath.

Hope you'll feel better soon, Silwen!

And here are the first fashion tips from this year's Ring*Con:

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
All photos from Akildare: http://fotogalerie.herr-der-ringe-film.de/showgallery.php/cat/8196
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:32 am

Canamarth, those pics are amazing! :shock:

And Drieske, that stew sounds marvelous! You really ought to share those meals over in Foodies. :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby drieske » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:04 am

STUNNING pictures Canamarth :love: I especially like the Druid! They can turn that into a new fashion line and I would buy it. Awesome! I would be fired at work but hey, all for fashion right? :lol: Thanks so much for sharing the pictures.

Thanksgiving was excellent, you can read more about it here.

Hi Morwenna, the Foodies. That must be another thread :)
Step by step one travels far ~ in honour of J.R.R. TOLKIEN

Enjoy endearing photos, videos & thoughts in Cuteness

Chitchat with us in Drieske's and Canamarth's Fashion Tips. We know nothing about fashion, but it is fun!

drieske
Mariner

Postby Canamarth » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:14 am

The druid is actually Yavanna - one of a whole set of the Valar. Which can be seen in action in a teaser below. The costumes are totally awesome!

http://www.project-silmarillion.de/

drieske, I just read your Thanksgiving post and am getting so hungry right now. Need to hurry intot he kitchen. :) Thanks for sharing! :hug:
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Silwen » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:31 pm

drieske, I like the sauerkraut bake you made! I might try a variation of it (without pineapple ;) ) sometime. Glad you had a good time with everyone.

There's been a book swap going on in the UK since mid-September and I didn't know about it till today. Especially on this day people in Britain seem to have been giving away books for free by leaving them all over the city. I was lucky enough to stumble across one during my lunch break in a park - and I even saw another book there that I left for someone else to take -, so a friend and I went on a proper book hunt this evening instead of my going to my regular knit club evening. This was the first time I didn't go! Sometimes books are more important than knitting. :D We didn't find any more books, sadly, but I will be leaving three of mine in town tomorrow.

On the topic of fashion, I am currently knitting fish socks:

Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Gollum Girl » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:23 pm

Ohh, I simply must join this. I just got the BEST, most fashionable new pajamas today. :D Do most of ya'll get your clothes from the mall or somewhere else? :D
Gollum Girl
Shield Bearer

Postby drieske » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:37 pm

What a delightful initiative Silwen, gathering books like mushrooms, using them (reading), and then returning the dish to the wild. I'm sure your knit club will understand :)

Hi Gollum Girl :hihi: What kind of pajamas? Striped? Bunnies? Cotton or silk? I don't think I ever had a most fashionable sleeping outfit :lol:

Yavanna! So they are making the Silmarillion into a real movie Canamarth? Perhaps then I can finally finish it. Would be my seventh try ;)

Glad you all liked the TG dishes :grouphug: I will make it for you one day Canamarth :D

Today I'm in holiday 'fashion': sweatshirt and pants, warm fluffy Spanish slippers and the day ahead of me. Tonight it's pizza time!
Step by step one travels far ~ in honour of J.R.R. TOLKIEN

Enjoy endearing photos, videos & thoughts in Cuteness

Chitchat with us in Drieske's and Canamarth's Fashion Tips. We know nothing about fashion, but it is fun!

drieske
Mariner

Postby Canamarth » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:39 am

I thought I had a lunch date (which fell through) so I didn't take any food with me to work. :roll: My last resort crispbread stash in the drawer is empty, alas. So don't speak of food right now, ok. :wink:

That book hunting sounds like fun indeed, Silwen. Tell us if you find any new ones. What did you bring home last time?

I'm all in black today, black dress with embroidery down the front and comfy black trousers underneath cause I thought I'd be too cold for tights. Turns out it's not very cold today. We'll be getting up to 18° on the weekend. :shock:

So far, the project has settled for a short film with important themes from the Silmarillion, I think. Anything other would be quite daring, I'd say.

I don't go to malls very often, Gollum Girl, as the usual shops in there don't have plus sizes (apart from H&M). I mostly buy my clothes online these days, directly from my favourite designer Gudrun Sjödén.

Those socks look great, Silwen! :)
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Silwen » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:37 pm

Oh damn, I didn't realise I posted about the book swap here already. :roll: Well, now it is also in the other thread. :oops: The book I broguht home is called "A Mind of its Own", by Cordelia Fine. It is a book about psycholgy which, considering that it is one of the subjects I studied, is not too bad a find. :D

So tomorrow is the Halloween Ball and I am looking forward to dressing up! I shall take pics.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Gollum Girl » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:08 pm

drieske wrote:
Hi Gollum Girl :hihi: What kind of pajamas? Striped? Bunnies? Cotton or silk? I don't think I ever had a most fashionable sleeping outfit :lol:

It's a little white silk dress with little ribbon on the chest and ruffles on the bottom. :D
Gollum Girl
Shield Bearer

Postby Canamarth » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:03 am

That sounds romantic, Gollum Girl. :)

No problem, Silwen. I like to hear echoes from time to time - to time - to time.

Oooh, very cool on the party. Looking forward to the pictures!

I'm invited to a birthday tomorrow - no Halloween theme alas, though I may wear a grossly bandaged plastic finger with a green nail which came along with the small chocolate balls wrapped as eyeballs which I bought during my short stay in London. That was my 'disguise' at a Zombie party (freshly bitten!) - which also wasn't really a fancy dress party. There were Zombies on the invitation and Zombieland was running as ambience picture in the background.

Still in the same black dress today. And I think I'll finally need to whip out the ironing board and the iron to have something decent to wear tomorrow. :roll:
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:24 am

Cool socks! :)

No costume parties for us this year.

Best sleepwear I ever had, I still have: a floral print-on-white nightgown that's nylon satin on the outside and flannel on the inside! :love: I wish I could find more like it, because after X number of years the flannel is getting pilly. I only wear it when we're going to be sharing with friends, at a convention hotel or some such, so I'm keeping it in as good a shape as possible.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:49 pm

The Halloween ball was fantastic! Loved it and I got lots of compliments about my costume. :D I will have to upload all the pics tomorrow. You can see all pictures here.

Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:27 am

Silwen, that looks great! :) And in such an elegant venue yet! (I never get to go to parties in fancy places like that...:() (Well, I go to conventions in nice hotels but that's just to sit and listen to people; the parties are all in guest rooms!)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Gollum Girl » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:17 am

Canamarth wrote:That sounds romantic, Gollum Girl. :)

Haha, thank you....have I come across as a romantic here? :shock: I didn't mean to, if I have.

Canamarth, your costume sounds fantastic, was the party fun? ;) Halloween isn't my favorite holiday but it certainly is still a fun one. :D

Silwen, amazing picture! Was it homemade? I would imagine it must have taken a while if it was...

Morwenna, I never get to go to fancy places either; I'm sure they are overrated anyway. ;)

:hihi: Not much else to say...except that I hope we all are having a great weekend! :D
Gollum Girl
Shield Bearer

Postby Silwen » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:13 am

:D It was all homemade: a friend did the make-up for me and I made the hat with all its detailing, including two spiders hanging from it. I made the accessories for the most part like the net sleeves and the necklace and earrings. The dress was one I had already and I wore it with leggings and black boots. I wore long black gloves and also had a lace fan to complete the outfit. I was a bit disappointed I didn't win a prize for my costume since the ones who did win were the usual boring bought costumes. Ah well, I wouldn't have liked the prize anyway (a bottle of champagne) and I had fun regardless. ;)
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Canamarth » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:07 am

Oh, wow, Silwen, that is absolutely fabulous. I'd never have recognised you had you turned up on my doorstep in this outfit, asking for trick or treats. :) And you two look totally dashing together. :) Were you actually dining in the Pump Room?

I actually ended up going to two parties on the evening, Gollum Girl. First one was the one I planned, a very small birthday party, starting with tea, which then turned into an evening of playing games around a table - and listening to fascinating tales from a guy studying Ancient Scandinavian.

At around 10 pm I was dragged from the game (which I was about to win!) on to a larger party - more of a disco-type thing. I was in the mood for dancing but the music was totally not my cup of tea. Still, had good company which made up for a lot.

Today I'm in the lilac edition of the dress below with black trousers and long-sleeves underneath.

Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Canamarth » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:21 am

For those also on B77: Secret Santa 2011 is on - head over the Members' Lounge to register. ;)
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:22 am

Today I'm wearing my Spooky shirt: it's black with a scoop neck and elbow-length sleeves. Across the front is the word Spooky outlined in orange faceted studs, with the Os turned into jack-o-lanterns by flat silvery studs, triangles for the eyes and round for the noses and mouths, green rhinestones for the stems, and a scattering of purple faceted studs above and below the word.

Of course I have another shortsleeved shirt on under it, because not only is it cold outdoors, it's cold in this office, and I brought a long-sleeved shirt to throw on over the whole thing if I get any colder! :) And I found a pair of pants too. No more skirts (except for dressy dressup) till spring now.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:54 am

That is, of course, very fitting, Morwenna. *insert pumpkin-smiley here*

Stupid office that is too cold! :x Sending warm thoughts and virtual blankets!
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Silwen » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:36 pm

Canamarth wrote:Oh, wow, Silwen, that is absolutely fabulous. I'd never have recognised you had you turned up on my doorstep in this outfit, asking for trick or treats. :) And you two look totally dashing together. :) Were you actually dining in the Pump Room?

Thank you! :D

Yes, we had dinner in the Pump Room (possible wedding reception venue... :whistle: ). Very elegant and not as stuffy as I seemed to remember.

Since I already went to my Halloween party, it doesn't feel like Halloween today. I only saw two people in costume earlier on my way back from the pool. You could tell something was going on today only because fewer people than usual were swimming today.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Canamarth » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:01 am

But isn't that perfect - swimming in a pool with hardly anyone in it? I went for a swim on Saturday in a very posh fitness club in Braunschweig (where I was visiting someone who's a spinning instructor there, and who had to give a lesson). My bathing suit is actually a bathing dress, by the way, similar to the one below, just in a dark brown.

Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:04 am

Whoa, that's gorgeous! Only I want the blue shown here. :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:03 am

Yeah, I have to admit I prefer the blue as well. But I got mine in a sale and only dark brown was left in my size - which suits me fine just as well.

Anyone of you caught in the sudden winter breaking over the US east coast, by the way? If so - hope you keep warm! We still have incredibly high temperatures for October in central Europe ... 18°C today - or so they say. I wouldn't really know as I go out of the house when it's still cold(ish) and dark and return in the same state. :roll:
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Silwen » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:16 pm

Surely you mean November. :D

We have the same warmish temperatures at the moment, but I am not complaining.

I like your swimsuit, Canamarth! Yesterday I had the chance to wear my new swimsuit again and it annoys me. :P But then it rarely ever happens that British swimsuits don't annoy me. I have no idea why their fit is so strange.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Canamarth » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:24 am

Silwen wrote: I have no idea why their fit is so strange.

Clearly, Brits must be built funny. :P

And yeah, of course, just about November. :doh:
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:14 am

Oh yeah, we got that weather. :roll: We had heavy wet snow on Saturday that bogged down the still-leaf-laden trees so much that many wires went down and half the state lost power, and many places haven't got it back yet. I heard there were deaths as well. NOT good. :( Most of it's melted around here now, but now the temperature dropped very far last night. We're into winter already. *sigh*

I mentioned in another thread that some time ago I landed a secondhand raincoat with a winter lining. I've been wearing it the last several days and even though the temp was supposedly below freezing (or just about at) when I left for work this morning, I was about as warm in the coat as I would have been in my usual winter jacket. And technically the coat is too big for me, even since I gained weight, which means that I have plenty of room inside it for bulkier clothing should I choose. I call this win-win! :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Canamarth » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:51 pm

That coat sounds great - and just about right for the weather. Glad to hear you're alright, Morwenna.

Time to switch into nightgown - with a short in-between stint in comfy trousers and shirt as I think I'll do a bit of yoga tonight. *ommmmmm*
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Canamarth » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:39 am

Black trousers and red blouse with embroidery down the front - one of the very few items I managed to iron last night. :roll:
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Gollum Girl » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:06 pm

Canamarth, that dress is so gorgeous! I'm jealous ;)

I wore a pool dress/ bathing dress to the pool once. I was yelled at. :roll:
Gollum Girl
Shield Bearer

PreviousNext

Return to Talk: The Bird and the Baby