OOC Shrouds of Varda Inn ( Interim Title

Pull out your pack and head on down to the Prancing Pony for some great Role Playing (try to stay in character)!

OOC Shrouds of Varda Inn ( Interim Title

Postby erinhue » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:24 am

Arassuil, we don't mean to hijack your thread. I know you did not want an OOC for your thread and as an Inn thread you probably do not need it. As you might guess the story going on is going to have to move out and begin its own thread, This will be the OOC for that RP and I will change the title once we get a name for the branch out thread. Thanks for having us at the Inn.

The Shrouds of Varda Inn thread has expanded enough to need an OOC thread. I realize that the thread was supposed to be an Inn thread and our tale is getting a bit complicated and if we go on this quest we will need to leave the Inn, which also means that we should leave the thread and begin another to contain this.

When we do leave the Inn we will embark on our quest in a new thread, a new RP that will be open to anyone posting in the Varda Inn thread and righ now any new players, whom we could meet along the way or something like that there.

PB darlin, We can discuss preparations for the new thread here and when we move out we can rename this and use it as the OOC For the quest, once we name it.
"Where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzi

erinhue
Warrior/Bard of Belfalas Illuvatar's Bright Spirit

Postby PatriotBlade » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:53 am

Thanks Hue! Looks great!

I wanted to, but since I kinda came in on this one, I felt like you and Tempest were the leaders, so I could only make suggestions.

This feels better now!
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby shaggydog » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:23 pm

*looks around*

*waves*

Lookin' good! First question: for what's been developing at the inn, shall we keep posting there for the moment and use this thread for any questions or issues that come up?
shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby erinhue » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:47 pm

For now yes, that is why the thread is titled Shrouds of Varda Inn. It is a temporary title. We can post here for the Inn until we actually leave it. When we do I will change the title of this thread to match the new RP thread. We will need a name for it. Any suggestions?

erinhue

Postby PatriotBlade » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:15 pm

Been pondering that, but lets see what Tempest was up to as well.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Re: OOC Shrouds of Varda Inn ( Interim Title

Postby Arassuil » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:39 pm

erinhue wrote:Arassuil, we don't mean to hijack your thread. I know you did not want an OOC for your thread and as an Inn thread you probably do not need it. As you might guess the story going on is going to have to move out and begin its own thread, This will be the OOC for that RP and I will change the title once we get a name for the branch out thread. Thanks for having us at the Inn.

No worries erinhue! This is what the Shrouds of Varda Inn is supposed to be about... encouraging interaction between writers and spawning stories off on their own. I've enjoyed reading along, though time constraints have kept me from participating much other than kick-starting the thread when it seemed to stall for a few months. Hopefully the tale you all started will grow and go onward, and new characters and new writers will come into the inn and it too keeps going. I'll do what I can to assist in the tales there. In the meantime, keep posting at the inn until you get to the point where you start a new story thread. When that happens, put a link to the new thread in the Inn at the tail of an exit post, and I'll edit it into the first Inn post.
:)
Arassuil
Shield Bearer

Postby Cock-Robin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:14 am

I've been keeping an eye on the Inn to see if I should jump in. Looks interesting, and I'll see what I can do.

Cuuuuute!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby shaggydog » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:55 am

Cock-Robin wrote:I've been keeping an eye on the Inn to see if I should jump in. Looks interesting, and I'll see what I can do.

I think you should CR, you're definitely not busy enough with this whole RP thing :P

:rofl:

(If they ever do get around to another WCA, you're a shoo in for the most prodigious and far flung RPer, if they have such a thing :D)
shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby erinhue » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:58 pm

When time comes around you can suggest that as a catagory. :wink:

erinhue

Postby Cock-Robin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:10 pm

I'll be thinking of a character and looking for an opening, then. And that sound of a category is tempting, that is if they get to doing the WCA's.

Cuuuuute!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Claymore » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:32 am

hmm would you mind me joining in? I've got a character ready who might fit in and this seems very very interesting.
I would play Areej Sulai, an easterling bard, who might or might not know Erinhue ( I would rather have that you did though Hue because Im not sure Tempest won't skewer me on sight :D). She is of a minor noble clan and like Ondine she has once been alone, terrified and confused on the road though in her case it was to avoid danger and she is very happy about how it worked out in the end.
This would be her biography

Name: Areej Sulai
Race: Easterling
Eyes: Brown
Complexion: Dark
Hair: black
Height: 5 feet 5 inches
Build: slender, and finely- build she is however a lot stronger than she looks
Clothes: Simple and practical she still manages to somehow also pick out clothes that look refined and elegant.
Weapons: a nagi, the traditional weapon of the women of her clan, it consists of a pole as tall as she is with a three foot scimitar blade on one end. A short but powerful, composite recurve bow.

Background: Areej was born to a noble, but minor easterling clan, rather well known for their prowess in war. The last of five siblings of which only the eldest was a boy, she was never expected to do more than become a refined lady and marry well. She got a good education, learning the gentle arts like singing, dancing, calligraphy and sewing but unlike other girls of her station she also learned to fight with the Nagi the traditional weapon of the women of her clan. As said earlier her clan was known for their skills in war and women were not only expected to bear children but also protect them when needed. She was a headstrong and curious child, devouring any book she could find, questioning everything until she understood the why and the how of things and arguing with anything she didn't like. This rather disquieted her parents. A good wife was supposed to be quiet and obedient, not to talk back and discuss mathematics with her husband. Her older brother loved her for it however and he encouraged her behaviour, bringing her books from his travels and teaching her how to shoot with a bow and some hand-to-hand combat. He told her many stories about what he had seen in the west, about the honor and bravery of the warriors there, and later when there was peace, about the freedom both men and women enjoyed there. This all made little Areej very curious but all in all she wasn't unhappy with her lot in life and though she did not particularly look forward to marrying she supposed that it was a better fate than that of the servants and serfs she sometimes helped. Her quiet life was shattered however when her brother came hurrying back from his travels two weeks before her wedding, saying that she had to go now because her soon-to-be-husband was a cruel man who beat his wives, and her parents could not or would not call off the wedding and he didn't want this for his darling baby sister. Afraid and confused Areej did what she was told and soon she was alone on the road, with her brother's advice to go west because there nobody would force a woman to marry an unworthy man. He would take care of the situation at home but she had to go, and only come back when he said it was safe.

Though a lot tougher and more resourceful than most girls of her age and station, Areej had a couple of very hard weeks until she hit some luck and was able to join a travelling troupe. They did not question her about her origins, she could sing and dance, and when the need arose she could also defend the caravan and that's all what mattered to them. She spend a few happy months with them, meandering steadily west but she kept her brother's words to her heart and when the troupe headed back east, she left and set out on her own again. Now with a better idea how the world worked and how to handle herself in it she became a travelling singer and acrobat, earning her keep in the inns and townsquares. It's a hard life but one she has come to love and she doesn't think she will ever go back to her homeland even if the safe-message from her brother ever comes. She would love to see him again however for he is one of the few she truly misses.

Personality: Stubborn, curious and with firecracker personality, she has difficulty to keep herself out of trouble sometimes, but she is also independent and resourceful and she has managed to get out of scrapes relatively unharmed until now. No longer living a sheltered existence she knows both the good and ugly sides of life but she still is somewhat of an idealist even if realism has tempered that. Having once only survived by the kindness of complete strangers she tries to return the favor by doing the same for others and she will try to rectify injustice whenever she is in the position to do so.

Skills: Areej has mastered all the skills a proper lady should ranging from singing, playing the lute, dancing, calligraphy and painting, to sewing and bookkeeping. All the women of her clan are supposed to have some skill with the nagi, though most never learn beyond the basics. She really liked handling the tall weapon however and she has become truly deadly with it. Her skill with the bow is fair and she has learned to shoot from horseback. Her skills at barehand fighting are more than fair too but she seldom uses it instead preferring to rely on her nagi instead. She is small and though her technique is good, most of her oppenents are at least half a foot taller and 10 to 20 kilos heavier than her. It takes one smart opponent to literally flatten her with his weight. Her boundless curiousity and her brother's encouragements have made her pretty knowledgable about a variety of subjects ranging from amthematics and astronomy to healing though most of that knowledge is very theoretical. When she traveled with the troupe they taught her acrobacy and her skill in both dancing and martial arts have allowed her to pick it up fairly quickly and though she wasn't the best she can execute some neck-breaking moves, moves she has begun to incorporate in her fighting style.
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby erinhue » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:54 am

I like. Since she is a bard and and Easterling perhaps she has heard of the Master Bard and GuildMaster Erinhue and has come to the inn to seek him out to become an apprentice so that she can enter the Bards'g Guild. 'Hue would not want to leave her and would suggest she come along. Just a suggestion on how to get yourself in but you do what ya like. You know me, throw it out there and I'll roll with it. :wink:

erinhue

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:14 pm

Hmmm, I've given it some thought, and decided to borrow a character from another place that I have.

Name: Robin Smallburrow
Race: Hobbit

Robin, or Cock-Robin as he is called by his friends, is a descendant of the Shirriff spoken of in RoTK. He is well traveled, and has a while ago parted with a great friend, the Eagle Gwaeryn, who has left for the West.

Despite his looks, he is a seasoned traveler and full of surprises like any hobbit. He bears a short sword which is the twin of Sting. He is lately come from the Festival in Gondor.

He has come to this inn for some rest and relaxation, but probably wont' find any.

That's all I have, and will add to it later.

Cuuuuute!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby erinhue » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:43 pm

Cool The Bard used to run the Lucky Fortune Inn with Hobbituk so he is used to traveling with hobbits.

The fact that Robin's companion has gone into the west give him something in common with The Bard, Erinhue's elven wife, Aerin Clearstream has taken a ship into the West as well. It was a parting they alwyas knew would come, had to come, one way or another and come it did.

Looks like we got something going.

PB this new one really oughta be your thread. You got the princess and the idea behind her kidnapping which is gonna be the through line of the branch out RP That Still Needs A Name. so everyone think on it. :wink:

erinhue

Postby shaggydog » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:07 pm

*waves at Claymore*

"Weapons: a nagi, the traditional weapon of the women of her clan, it consists of a pole as tall as she is with a three foot scimitar blade on one end"

:shock: :shock: :shock:

*moves back several paces*

CR - you do realize that you will now be in two threads, both in which you will be traveling to Gondor (I assume that's where we will be heading) as the same character but with several years (?) between :D Talk about deja vu! :rofl:

Hey - seeing as you're in the future in this one, you can tell me what's going to happen in the other story and everyone will think I'm psychic :D
shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby Claymore » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:36 pm

:D Shaggydog. Look on wikipedia about the Naginata. It's the traditional weapon of samurai wives and those things are indeed very very tall. Wich is why it's a women's weapon since with the length of the weapon we can make up for our own shorter reach and lesser strength.

Hue, working on a post.
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby shaggydog » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:56 pm

Claymore wrote:Shaggydog. Look on wikipedia about the Naginata.

It looks even worse than it sounds :P

:shock:

:nono:

shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby Claymore » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:28 pm

Hey it's difficult to do physically intimidating when you are a girl, especially when you're not much taller than five foot six. We gotta intimidate you guys with something else :D
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:27 pm

LOL, you ought to be a hobbit. They're even smaller, and not too intimidating, until you get to know them. :P

And Shaggy, we shall see. Working on a post myself. Although I doubt they'd be the same. Don't want to make too close of a connection with TEP.

Wonder what Tempest thinks of hobbits. :D

Cuuuuute!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby rwhen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:34 pm

I will be watching you mensies!! ;)

and fat chance Shaggies!! You are stuck in "that" time with us.

*skulks back out of thread*

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:04 pm

Well, I did my intro post here. Hue, Tempest, have fun, and try not to rough the hobbit up too much. :wink:

Cuuuuute!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby PatriotBlade » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:29 pm

Oh. My. :shock:

Poor hobbit!

Well, this will give me a bit more time to think about my next post. Just let me know if you plan to wake her up, or want her awake when you get up there.
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby erinhue » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:38 pm

Great intro post CR. you get the reader invested in Robin right at the very start. with that touching farewell scene. Seems I heard that line before somewhere :twisted: has a nice ring to it.

I am jammed up tommorrow so I won't have much time but we are gonna be having a lot of conversations right about now.

Shaggy, I like how you are working your character into this. Tempest and Erinhue are both Mithril Knights (Guardians of Middle Earth) and should they choose to prove that your character should be satisfied, but I don't think we will do that just yet, at least the Bard won't. I think the suspicious angle works for us right now. It will make it all the better when the time comes the he does realize we are the good guys.

Speaking of the Bard, he is gonna be awful hurt to discover your character has no idea who he is :lol: As things go he really is a famous bard, and that is not just his say so, all though he will say so to anyone that might ask, and even if they didn't ask sometimes.

erinhue

Postby Cock-Robin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:56 pm

We shall see, Hue, we shall see. :D Oh, btw, I forgot to mention that the short sword he wears he has is named Claw. If they find it on him and pull it out, they'll find it gleaming at the edges, indicating there are enemies nearby, as it is the brother of Sting, which he found on one of his journeys, in the very trolls' cave where Sting was found, in an out-of the way niche. It had been overlooked until Robin stumbled across it.

Like Glamdring and Orcrist were twin swords, so are Sting and Claw, as it was possible that in ancient Gondolin, such swords were made in pairs.

And thanks for your kind words, Hue. :)

Edit: And maybe he has heard of the famous Bard, but doesn't know him by sight. Maybe later he'll know, precious, maybe later. :P

Cuuuuute!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:52 am

LOL, I loved that good cop/bad cop routine you did, Hue!

Cuuuuute!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby shaggydog » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:45 am

rwhen wrote:I will be watching you mensies!! ;) and fat chance Shaggies!! You are stuck in "that" time with us. *skulks back out of thread*

rwhen! skulk back, skulk back! :yippie:

Not like you're busy posting in about a gazillion other threads or anything, but you should still come play with us :drink:

And it's too bad you sussed me so quick - I was hoping to appear extraordinarily brilliant in TEP :D :D :D

Hue - I'm glad you like what Estelmere is doing, as I don't have a clue where I'm going with it :rofl: But hey, that's half the fun of RP :thumbsup: I suppose eventually I'll figure out a way to integrate him into the ultimate quest thingy, if I can avoid being skewered by Tempest or disemboweled by Claymore :Q

Great posts CR! (and I'm not just saying that cause of MoST :whistle: )
shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby Claymore » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:47 am

Hey! I resend that! Areej is a very polite and well-bred lady and she will only use her nagi if someone really asked for it. She is much more likely to dislocate your joints if you try something indecent :P Oh and she packs a mean kick. Flexibility has it's uses. :D
Claymore
Rider of the Mark

Postby Andalion » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:16 pm

So I've spoken with 'Hue, and would love to get some time in here. Greetings, all!
Andalion
Citizen of Imladris

Postby shaggydog » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:43 pm

Claymore wrote:Hey! Areej . . . is much more likely to dislocate your joints if you try something indecent :P Oh and she packs a mean kick. :D

And this is supposed to be reassuring?? :P

Poor Estelmere - all he has is a hammer and a saw :roll:

shaggydog
Rider of the Mark

Postby Cock-Robin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:25 pm

Cant' wait to see how my hobbit fares with your Easterling bard. :D Great post, Claymore!

Cuuuuute!

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Next

Return to Role Playing: The Prancing Pony (Middle-earth Only)